Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

<James Carville voice> it's the cans, stupid

Let he whose team has never cheated bang the first can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dameius posted:

Sorry what was that I couldn't hear you over the AC it gets loud when you turn it up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dameius posted:

new blood recycling the same old cope, how fun!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

new blood recycling the same old cope, how fun!

I'm just here to enjoy baseball and don't care what other people think of my team. You can read whatever you want into that, I can't stop you.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Buddy, you’ve implied that people only hate your team cause they’re good, and that everyone else also cheated.

You can post all you want about how little you care but it sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself more than me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Buddy, you’ve implied that people only hate your team cause they’re good, and that everyone else also cheated.

You can post all you want about how little you care but it sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself more than me.

I said I like them when they were bad and I liked them when they were good and people gave them poo poo during both eras, and that didn't stop me from liking them. I get why the cheating scandal pisses off not Astros fans and I'm 100% sure I'd be razzing another team were they in that same situation. If my post read differently, :shrug:. That's what I meant and that's what I'm going to mean in the future.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If I have any ire towards astros fans it's probably to most of the people I went to school with who never once uttered anything about the fuckin team growing up and since 2017 they're suddenly the most diehard dweebs I've ever seen. Happens when any team wins the big one, that they got the fun bonus of "grr the rest of the league hates us unfairly" made their poo poo worse.

I'd have rather they won in 2005, personally.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

If I have any ire towards astros fans it's probably to most of the people I went to school with who never once uttered anything about the fuckin team growing up and since 2017 they're suddenly the most diehard dweebs I've ever seen. Happens when any team wins the big one, that they got the fun bonus of "grr the rest of the league hates us unfairly" made their poo poo worse.

I'd have rather they won in 2005, personally.

The Ted Cruzes of fans as it were.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Side note: saw a double header White Sox game back in Chicago back in 2014. White Sox got pantsed hard in both, blowing a big lead in one of em I think to Cleveland. The stadium was effectively empty. That lil world series flag flapped around for no one to notice but me. Almost eased the pain from that sweep.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
tbh if the Astros had a few down seasons in a row I would probably stop caring, but they've made the ALCS at worst every year since they did cans (2023 pending) so fuckem for now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The seems to reinforce the whole "because they're good" thing :shobon:

Someone who really cared about it wouldn't embrace having a player who cheated against the Dodgers to win the WS in 2018 on the team

Much like Twins fans who cheer Correa and boo Altuve, it's more about the uniform they're wearing

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The craziest thing about the Astros, at least if they make the ALCS this year, is that they're on the third GM since winning the World Series.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
For the love of god, take it to the Astros containment thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023914

I hope we start seeing more interesting playoff games again. The teams winning being ones I don't like are one thing, but the games themselves have mainly been one-sided blowouts. Only can think of two actually back and forth games.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

live with fruit posted:

The craziest thing about the Astros, at least if they make the ALCS this year, is that they're on the third GM since winning the World Series.

Yeah but one of them is gone for... reasons

And is in fact the only person from the entire thing who got blackballed as far as I'm aware

e: well the "Thank god for Osuna" guy probably was too but that wasn't related

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 11, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

Yeah but one of them is gone for... reasons

And is in fact the only person from the entire thing who got blackballed as far as I'm aware

e: well the "Thank god for Osuna" guy probably was too but that wasn't related

I meant more in a "The car drives itself" way.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Someone who really cared about it wouldn't embrace having a player who cheated against the Dodgers to win the WS in 2018 on the team
ah so we're back to minimizing the cans via false equivalency again, very cool

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

it's ok bawfuls I know you have to pretend to care that's why I don't say anything very often :glomp:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

after all these years you think I'm pretending to care about the 2017 Houston Astros stealing Kershaw's signature World Series from him?

He shoved in Game 1 and again for 4 innings of relief on short rest in Game 7. The Houston Astros cheated in Game 5, stealing that game and the series. But they also stole from Kershaw a singular dominant World Series performance that would have put to bed that stupid loving narrative.

And now it's too late. He's old and his body is failing. There won't be another opportunity.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I don't actually care about the Astros. They have employed some great players on both sides of the game, and Trashstros is peak cheating hilarity because it's SO. loving. SILLY. From the basic-bitch level of the tech to the photo evidence of them tearing poo poo down in the clubhouse, the whole thing is just so hilariously brazen and meat-headed.

I'll take them over The Yankees any day (a team where, again, I don't actually dislike the players), but for the most part they're an away team I barely pay attention to outside the division I should pay attention to (but don't really--naming current Royals players is pretty hard for me.)

MANAGEMENT of the Astros on the other hand, gently caress those people. The front office? gently caress em. Owners? gently caress em. Dusty? Seems like a nice guy but can't manage pitching to save a single run.

But this is an outlook I have toward basically every team. The players are mostly good and fine. But organizationally, baseball is rotten and I hate it.

/rant

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

The seems to reinforce the whole "because they're good" thing :shobon:

I understand what you mean and don't particularly disagree with it, but the more specific answer for me is that it's less that they're good and more that it's impossible to be certain that they aren't still benefitting in some way or another from the cheating until they are stripped bare, which will really only happen once a natural cycle drops them out of the playoffs for awhile.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i think the 'kershaw is bad at playoffs' narrative could have been put to bed by him not being terrible during the playoffs but sure it's the can mans fault, that works too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

i think the 'kershaw is bad at playoffs' narrative could have been put to bed by him not being terrible during the playoffs but sure it's the can mans fault, that works too
You mean like him pitching well in the first World Series of his career and winning it?

He has had a lot of bad starts in October. He's also had a lot of really good ones, but no one cares because the good ones got scattered across series and years. What he's missing is a signature series where he shoves and wins series MVP or whatever and a ring. That's what Houston stole from him in 2017.

edit: This isn't even complicated. He went 7 IP 1 R 11 K in game 1. If Houston isn't cheating he wins game 5 too and the Dodgers close it out in 6. The Dodgers offense didn't have a singular standout in that series, so Kershaw would be the obvious series MVP in that scenario, having won 2 games. If the man has a WS MVP on his shelf no one is taking seriously the "postseason choker" narrative anymore. But the Astros cheated in game 5 and so here we are.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 11, 2023

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

If Houston isn't cheating he wins game 5 too and the Dodgers close it out in 6.
Sure Jan

We can all invent alternate realities, but most of us aren't butthurt about them.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Pungry posted:

For the love of god, take it to the Astros containment thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023914

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Sure Jan

We can all invent alternate realities, but most of us aren't butthurt about them.
Game 5 was 13-12. The Astros were cheating, stealing signs the whole game. The Dodgers win that game if they aren't cheating.

You can not expect me to believe that the sign stealing had no impact on that game.

But I guess your contention is that if they weren't cheating and lost game 5, maybe they win game 6 with their backs against the wall.

We'll never know, because the Astros cheated in the World Series and denied us a fair contest.

So yes, I'm "butthurt" that the Astros took something irreplaceable from Clayton Kershaw. Look at my avatar, this poo poo is still persistent. No Astros poster has been tagged with a cans reference in years ffs. But Kershaw still sucks in October and suggesting that the narrative arc was shaped significantly by 2017 is a bridge too far.

edit: This is what happens every time this dumb poo poo comes up and it's why I try not to even joke about the cans. People just constantly minimize the cheating through oblique references and when I get fed up with it and respond I'm the rear end in a top hat for not putting it in the containment thread that no one reads.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 11, 2023

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The usual suspects saying the same dumb loving poo poo over and over.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MrMidnight posted:

The usual suspects saying the same dumb loving poo poo over and over.

Maybe if the same dumb loving poo poo actually got addressed, it wouldn't have to keep being said.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Somebody buy Rob Manfred an account then

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

We'll never know, because the Astros cheated in the World Series and denied us a fair contest.

Hopefully this is the only time I'll say this, but this is exactly why people don't give a poo poo. "We'll never know, except in this one case I know exactly what would have happened."

Baseball is random as gently caress even when it's fixed. Y'all might have still lost. The game could have gone completely differently. That's why we play the games.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Hopefully this is the only time I'll say this, but this is exactly why people don't give a poo poo. "We'll never know, except in this one case I know exactly what would have happened."

Baseball is random as gently caress even when it's fixed. Y'all might have still lost. The game could have gone completely differently. That's why we play the games.
I don't care.

The Astros cheated and won an incredibly close series. Do we all forget what an absolute banger that series was? It was a razor thin margin, even with the Astros cheating.

Kershaw pitched in 3 games that series. In the 2 where they didn't cheat, he threw 11 innings with 1 ER and 15 K.

It is my right to assume that he would have also beat them in the other game if the Astros weren't cheating. The game where the Dodgers scored 12 runs, mind you.

The 2017 Houston Astros lost the benefit of the doubt on this, because they cheated.

The Astros and their fans got a title out of the affair. The rest of us get to make jokes about them and also forever operate under the assumption that they would have lost if they weren't cheating.

Is that assumption somehow, unfair to the 2017 cheating Houston Astros??

If the Astros didn't want us making this assumption, then they shouldn't have cheated in the World Series. This is the paltry "price" they pay for what they did.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
what if this is all just god punishing kershaw for spending his career in los angeles rather than a place that has good texas christian values, makes you wonder

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dodgers fans are going to die mad about 2017 and that's supposed to be bad, for me?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I get mad about people here minimizing the cheating. Specifically by:
-suggesting that the Astros might/probably would have won without cheating, or that it didn’t help them win that title
-equating what the Astros did to other sign stealing schemes at the time, or otherwise suggesting that “everyone was doing it”

People continue to directly or indirectly say these things here every time it comes up. But when you call them on it other people whine “oh here we go again”

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Do we all forget what an absolute banger that series was?

I get it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I definitely remember all the times when I, a random Astrosposter, sat down in the clubhouse with Hinch and Luhnow and specifically told them “Tonight? You bang the loving cans and you don’t stop until I tell you.”

This is why all astrosposters should be doomed to listen to relitigations of 2017 every other week. We were actually all there in the room, just out of frame.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I definitely remember all the times when I, a random Astrosposter, sat down in the clubhouse with Hinch and Luhnow and specifically told them “Tonight? You bang the loving cans and you don’t stop until I tell you.”

This is why all astrosposters should be doomed to listen to relitigations of 2017 every other week. We were actually all there in the room, just out of frame.

oh my god he admit it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1712253278430343498

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I've been told in no uncertain terms that the Yankees are the actual rightful 2017 champs and the Dodgers stood no chance so if anything the Astros are heroes

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah mcmagic has a much better right to complain than bawfuls. The Yankees got cheated out of 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat, this photo owns

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1712245789559271728