Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
He's perfectly fine with murdering children as long as it's done from the air or by artillery barrage or murderous sanctions.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nenonen posted:

They ended the holocaust because Germany invaded them or declared war on them. Not because they wanted to go to war against Germany to protect ethnic or sexual minorities or political opposition there. In contrast, nothing happened as long as Hitler kept the atrocities within German borders. Plenty of countries remained neutral through all of it or were even allied with Germany. I just don't think that your argument works.

From what I gather, what with not being alive, the sentiment in America at the time was outrage that we weren't getting involved.

As dorky as it is, there's something so "gently caress you" about the cover of Captain America #1 being the main character punching hitler in the face in march 1941, a year before we'd actually goto war. That cover is an iconic part of US history and I love it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Adenoid Dan posted:

He's perfectly fine with murdering children as long as it's done from the air or by artillery barrage or murderous sanctions.

It really is hosed. You'd think quantity would metter, but a million deaths a statistic. There are almost certainly more dead palastinian children this week than Israeli, but the visceral argument of 'they cut off their heads' will overwhelm any talk of Palestinians bearing the brunt of this.

The child doesn't care that it was mutilated by falling concrete as the building collapsed by a bayonet, but the public sure does. 72 Israelis killed vs 200 palestinian dead, and all that.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mannerup posted:

Biden is now categorically stating that he seen confirmed pictures of terrorists beheading children during his remarks at the Roundtable with Jewish Community Leaders: “It matters that Americans see what's happening. I mean, I've been doing this a long time. I never really thought that I would see - have confirmed pictures of terrorists beheading children.”

At 17:00 in this video on YouTube from the White House account.

Sounds like he corrected himself from saying "I never thought I would see-", and switches it up to "have confirmed pictures of terrorists..."

In my opinion, doesn't sound like he actually saw any pictures of this.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Caros posted:

It really is hosed. You'd think quantity would metter, but a million deaths a statistic. There are almost certainly more dead palastinian children this week than Israeli, but the visceral argument of 'they cut off their heads' will overwhelm any talk of Palestinians bearing the brunt of this.

The child doesn't care that it was mutilated by falling concrete as the building collapsed by a bayonet, but the public sure does. 72 Israelis killed vs 200 palestinian dead, and all that.

If he cared about dead children at all he wouldn't be bragging about how the US unequivocally supports the genocide taking place. Our government is so full of poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zer0spunk posted:

From what I gather, what with not being alive, the sentiment in America at the time was outrage that we weren't getting involved.

As dorky as it is, there's something so "gently caress you" about the cover of Captain America #1 being the main character punching hitler in the face in march 1941, a year before we'd actually goto war. That cover is an iconic part of US history and I love it.

There was substantial sentiment for both staying out of it beyond selling stuff to Britain and a non-trivial number of no fooling domestic Nazis. Of course I don’t think Hitler was popular but he was seen as a ridiculous rear end in a top hat like Mussolini.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

No, it wasn't that cut and dry. There are a significant number of Americans who were either neutral to supportive of Germany, especially as the full extent of the crimes was considered hearsay or exaggeration (and antisemitism wasn't exactly unheard of in the 1930-40s America.) Even among those who opposed Germany openly there was still a loud anti-war voice, ranging from "No foreign intervention" to "We don't want to start another World War" and so-on.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1712135976175198481

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ImpAtom posted:

No, it wasn't that cut and dry. There are a significant number of Americans who were either neutral to supportive of Germany, especially as the full extent of the crimes was considered hearsay or exaggeration (and antisemitism wasn't exactly unheard of in the 1930-40s America.) Even among those who opposed Germany openly there was still a loud anti-war voice, ranging from "No foreign intervention" to "We don't want to start another World War" and so-on.

I'm one of those people that likes to think that even without pearl habor america would have joined the war effort. I don't know if that makes me naive or an optimist

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

There's been a fair few cases where two hostile groups were partitioned into a "two-state solution", reached a mutual peace or ceasefire, and just stayed that way even without a final solution working out their issues and disagreements once and for all. Even though neither side really officially acknowledged the other's borders or right to exist, they weren't willing to go back to war about it again. Those kinds of states generally don't have very good relations with each other, sure, but they've largely avoided full-scale war - even when the military balance between the two states vastly shifts. Once some kind of peaceful balance has been established and maintained for a while, it's pretty hard for them to go back to all those years of bloody war (especially if the international community is exerting pressure to keep it that way).

For example, Korea. The president of South Korea during the Korean War was so virulently anti-North and so dedicated to unifying the Korean peninsula that he refused to sign the armistice ending the Korean War. But once he was forced into accepting peace (by US pressure and the unwillingness of the rest of the South Korean government to follow him), the peace has more or less held for all this time.

I was also thinking about the example of Koreas, but I guess it's a question of perspective and semantics. Both countries sort of just pretend they are the only Korea, and there was never any 'second state' in principle. The same goes for China and Taiwan to some extent, as far as I understand. With Israel and Palestine there are two (if not three) de facto states with no common political ancestry, so to speak, so I'm not sure it could work quite the same way. In any case, whatever term is used for what Hamas have in their goals, I agree that it's something that should have at least been attempted, even if it's not perfect.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

I'm one of those people that likes to think that even without pearl habor america would have joined the war effort. I don't know if that makes me naive or an optimist

It certainly explains your posts about this conflict.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zer0spunk posted:

Lend-Lease had already begun before Pearl Harbor, so yes. We were gradually getting more involved leading up to the attack. It's just that we were focused primarily on Europe at that time.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

Maybe the political leadership would have but in 39 and 40, the only polling I can find suggests the US public's appetite for joining the war directly was quite low, with 84-88% of people against sending troops/declaring war.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/great-debate

https://news.gallup.com/vault/265865/gallup-vault-opinion-start-world-war.aspx

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

studio mujahideen posted:

With no power, it is zero. What are you talking about? And before you say, "Gaza produces its own power!"

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/11/middleeast/gaza-power-plant-shuts-down-intl/index.html

In that case my knowledge of the power situation was either confused or out of date. I guess it might be down to existing freshwater reserves then.

which I can't imagine being especially vast

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 11, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

Hamas official in Lebanon claims militant group prepared for attack for 2 years
From CNN's Tamara Qiblawi and Jen Deaton

A senior Hamas official based in Lebanon said militants had been preparing for the attack on Israel for two years, according to an edited interview with Russia Today’s Arabic-news channel RTArabic published on its website a day after the attack.

“We manufactured a lot," said Ali Baraka, head of Hamas National Relations Abroad. "We have local factories for everything."

The factories can make different rockets with maximum ranges from 10 to 250 kilometers, and they can make mortars and mortar shells, he said.

They also produced firearms.

"We have factories for Kalashnikovs and their bullets. We’re manufacturing the bullets with permission from the Russians. We’re building it in Gaza.”

“None of our factions," and “even our allies did not know about the zero hour” of the attack in order to “preserve the secrecy of the battle,” Baraka claimed.
Half an hour after the attack, “the Palestinian resistance factions were contacted, in addition to our allies Hezbollah and Iran,” he said. Hamas also notified Turkey, he said.

Baraka made no mention of any outside involvement in the planning of the attack, saying only that the allies of Hamas “support us with weapons and money. First and foremost, it is Iran that gives us money and weapons. Also Hezbollah.”

Russia inquired about the attack afterward, Baraka said.

“They were updated about our situation and the goals of the battle,” Baraka said.

He also said Moscow was happy for the United States to be distracted by the Israel-Hamas conflict instead of the war in Ukraine.

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-10-11-23/h_4950c460aa0642ca8484bbd190db1f89

Well I mean, not exactly shocking that the first guesses on who backed this were the correct guesses

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

zer0spunk posted:

I mean... without that particular attack, Japan would still have attempted to conquer other American-controlled territories at the same time (which people mostly seem to forget about, particularly when peddling conspiracy theories?)

Or did you mean "America would have joined the war effort even if it wasn't attacked directly, to protect the British empire \ Chinese"?

Where is everyone donating? I sent funds to Magen David Adom and MAP, and have been spamming this link both personally and professionally:

https://time.com/6322238/how-to-help-israel-gaza-war-victims/

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Xander77 posted:

I mean... without that particular attack, Japan would still have attempted to conquer other American-controlled territories at the same time (which people mostly seem to forget about, particularly when peddling conspiracy theories?)

Or did you mean "America would have joined the war effort even if it wasn't attacked directly, to protect the British empire \ Chinese"?

As someone else pointed out, and I embarrassingly forgot from my US history education..the Lend-Lease Act was already in effect, so they were in it. They were supplying the allied forces and would have joined the fray from there, domestic attack or not. I don't need to speculate, I'm just rusty on my ww2 history

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

zer0spunk posted:

Certainly on my PoliSci and Strategic Studies degrees, it was pretty broadly accepted that the US was going to get involved directly at some point; FDR had believed you guys had to get into it for some years and had been working strenuously to bring the public around to the point where it was possible before Japan solved it for him. But he'd made serious progress, the American population had gone from something like 5% strong support for intervention to over 25% by Pearl Harbor.

Of course, despite ostensible neutrality, America wasn't exactly shy about giving the Allies literal boatloads of aid and materiel.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There is so much hubris in here that Netanyahu outdoes the most extreme Greek mythic figures.

quote:

This is solidly documented. Between 2012 and 2018, Netanyahu gave Qatar approval to transfer a cumulative sum of about a billion dollars to Gaza, at least half of which reached Hamas, including its military wing. According to the Jerusalem Post, in a private meeting with members of his Likud party on March 11, 2019, Netanyahu explained the reckless step as follows: The money transfer is part of the strategy to divide the Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank. Anyone who opposes the establishment of a Palestinian state needs to support the transfer of the money from Qatar to Hamas. In that way, we will foil the establishment of a Palestinian state (as reported in former cabinet member Haim Ramon’s Hebrew-language book “Neged Haruach”, p. 417).

In an interview with the Ynet news website on May 5, 2019, Netanyahu associate Gershon Hacohen, a major general in reserves, said, “We need to tell the truth. Netanyahu’s strategy is to prevent the option of two states, so he is turning Hamas into his closest partner. Openly Hamas is an enemy. Covertly, it’s an ally.”

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...v=1696916329934

quote:

How depressing and upsetting it is today to recall Benjamin Netanyahu’s arrogance under interrogation about Case 2000, one of the three corruption cases against the prime minister. “This is classified, don’t let it leak, okay?” he said, flattering the police investigators with the magic lure of security secrets. And then he explained his doctrine regarding Hamas and Hezbollah.

“We have neighbors,” he said, “who are our bitter enemies ... I send them messages all the time ... these days, right now ... I mislead them, destabilize them, mock them, and them hit them over the head.” The suspect then continued his lecture: “It’s impossible to reach an agreement with them ... Everyone knows this, but we control the height of the flames.”

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Some on the ground reporting from Palestine:

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1712180249147093050

There's no gore, but plenty of evidence of the indiscriminate violence Israel is unleashing against unarmed civilians, including young children.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

golden bubble posted:

There is so much hubris in here that Netanyahu outdoes the most extreme Greek mythic figures.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...v=1696916329934

Is it? His intention was supporting his enemy until he got approval to commit genocide in the name of destroying Hamas and here we are. I don't think you can call it hubris if the plan has been working.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This one was an interesting read that sort of mirrors some of the arguments in this thread on wording;
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67076341

quote:

BBC defends policy not to call Hamas 'terrorists' after criticism
By Ian Youngs & Paul Glynn
BBC News

The BBC has defended its decision not to describe Hamas militants as "terrorists" in coverage of the recent attacks in Israel.

UK Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said the policy is "verging on disgraceful".

A BBC spokesperson noted it was a long-standing position for its reporters not to use the term themselves unless attributing it to someone else.

Veteran BBC foreign correspondent John Simpson said "calling someone a terrorist means you're taking sides".

e:

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel did not mince words at a news conference with Yoav Gallant, Israel’s defense minister and Benny Gantz, a political rival who joined in a national unity government today. “Every Hamas member is a dead man,” Netanyahu said, as he promised to “crush and eliminate” the group. He also listed some of the atrocities he said Hamas terrorists had committed. Boys and girls had been found shot in the head, he said. People had been burned alive, women had been raped and killed, and soldiers had been beheaded.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/11/world/israel-news-hamas-war/39d430e0-ff30-5bdb-9537-dcd5e1ad1d00?smid=url-share

"mincing words" is an understatement

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 11, 2023

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

foutre posted:

I set up donations to middle east children's alliance, palestine children's relief fund, and UNRWA. If other people have reccs please share!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Red Crescent, Middle East Children’s Alliance, Palestine Children’s Relief Fund, and UNICEF all have the best ratings on charity navigator and aren't affiliated with Hamas, so you can support them financially with no issue if you live in the E.U., U.S., Australia, or Canada.
Can I ask a mod to add these to the thread OP please?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mannerup posted:

I recall them using 'militant' to describe members of ISIS before in reporting, so its a consistent stance.

Lots of news outlets do this, in Britain and elsewhere.

I mean, write a list of who you think is a terrorist and who isn't as a way to start an argument. The word doesn't add any meaning to a sentence.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

The outrage at the current Israeli government over the Hamas attacks was obvious when Idit Silman, Israel’s minister for environmental protection, paid a visit to a hospital on Wednesday. “You guys are responsible,” one person screamed at Silman, according to a video posted on social media. “Go home. You are preventing this nation from finding a way to go forward.” Another chimed in: “You guys ruined this country. Get out of here!”
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/11/world/israel-news-hamas-war/4c02cbf5-4337-5cb5-b984-eabd24b907b0?smid=url-share

If the byproduct of this means a possible change in the administration when all is said and done, there might actually be real progress achieved instead of drips and drabs with 2 new theoretical representative states who are more geared towards peace...ideally on the gaza side something better then fatah with secular interests in rebuilding first and foremost

e: that's the best case scenario, gaza replaces an extremist government and so does israel, with the understanding that the stability in the region helps all the states regardless of what religious ideology you hold

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 12, 2023

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

Where is everyone donating? I sent funds to Magen David Adom

For anyone considering where to donate, Magen David Adom appears to be solely concerned with Israel and does nothing for Palestinians in Gaza (I could be wrong). The only references to Gaza I've found on their website are to refer to terrorists in Gaza firing rockets at Israel

Also this is on their about us page
https://www.cmdai.org/en/content/6-about-us

quote:

The State of Israel itself cannot survive without Magen David Adom!

They're affiliated with red cross/red crescent but appear to be a thoroughly pro-Zionist organization. Happy to be corrected if any of this is inaccurate.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

America has a lot of leverage over Israel due to how much aid and business we give them.

The relation between Israel and America is like a weird corruption ouroboros, that leverage kinda goes both ways. America sends stuff Israel's way yes but some of it winds up back in western politicans' pockets via fat campaign contributions and other general lobbying.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

For anyone considering where to donate, Magen David Adom appears to be solely concerned with Israel and does nothing for Palestinians in Gaza (I could be wrong). The only references to Gaza I've found on their website are to refer to terrorists in Gaza firing rockets at Israel

Also this is on their about us page
https://www.cmdai.org/en/content/6-about-us

They're affiliated with red cross/red crescent but appear to be a thoroughly pro-Zionist organization. Happy to be corrected if any of this is inaccurate.

"Affiliated with" is an understatement, they are the Red Cross as it exists in Israel (Magen David Adom literally translates to Red Star of David).

Of course their rhetoric is Zionist because they're a normal Israeli organization but if you donate to them you're donating to the Red Cross which is good.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Civilized Fishbot posted:

"Affiliated with" is an understatement, they are the Red Cross as it exists in Israel (Magen David Adom literally translates to Red Star of David).

Of course their rhetoric is Zionist because they're a normal Israeli organization but if you donate to them you're donating to the Red Cross which is good.

My point is you probably want to donate to a different org if you're hoping your donation goes to help anyone in Gaza.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Hospitals are running out of beds and medicine, and will soon be without power in Gaza:

https://twitter.com/MiraHammad10/status/1712153909177766380

zer0spunk posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/11/world/israel-news-hamas-war/4c02cbf5-4337-5cb5-b984-eabd24b907b0?smid=url-share

If the byproduct of this means a possible change in the administration when all is said and done, there might actually be real progress achieved instead of drips and drabs with 2 new theoretical representative states who are more geared towards peace...ideally on the gaza side something better then fatah with secular interests in rebuilding first and foremost

e: that's the best case scenario, gaza replaces an extremist government and so does israel, with the understanding that the stability in the region helps all the states regardless of what religious ideology you hold

Found some video of this:

https://twitter.com/Meir_Marciano/status/1712115635994472923

B B fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 12, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

mannerup posted:

Biden is now categorically stating that he seen confirmed pictures of terrorists beheading children during his remarks at the Roundtable with Jewish Community Leaders: “It matters that Americans see what's happening. I mean, I've been doing this a long time. I never really thought that I would see - have confirmed pictures of terrorists beheading children.”

At 17:00 in this video on YouTube from the White House account.

Axios political reporter is saying this in regards to Biden's claim.
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1712256675569148100?t=2Q48_-idE5nybM5GrlKeUg&s=19

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

mannerup posted:

someone from the White House should state that on the record them, preferably the Press Secretary. you can’t have the President of the United States make a claim like that and shove the correction to the context on background to an Axios reporter. it’s ridiculous

countdown to the same people who say Biden's weakness enabled this attack pivoting to "Biden lied about Hamas atrocities"
Also shades of the first Iraq War when Iraqi forces were supposedly knocking premature babies out of incubators. There were plenty of actual reasons Saddam was a monster but it had to be embellished. Hamas has committed enough verified atrocities that there shouldn't be a need to embellish them.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Does the baby heads thing even matter? Individuals intentionally murdering babies right in front of them is some serial killer level stuff, I don't see how specific details do much to change that.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

mannerup posted:

someone from the White House should state that on the record them, preferably the Press Secretary. you can’t have the President of the United States make a claim like that and shove the correction to the context on background to an Axios reporter. it’s ridiculous

Apparently a White House spokesperson has communicated this to the Washington Post as well. The IDF also declined to confirm the story.

https://twitter.com/evanhill/status/1712260928635322502

NovemberMike posted:

Does the baby heads thing even matter? Individuals intentionally murdering babies right in front of them is some serial killer level stuff, I don't see how specific details do much to change that.

This seems like the correct take to me. Close to 300 children are dead in Gaza, as well. I don't think whether a child's head was removed by a hunting knife or a laser-guided missile really matters in the grand scheme of things. Both are absolutely brutal acts that deserve condemnation.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 5, 2023

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

No and admittedly I'm not following X for every gruesome video and I wouldn't put it past Hamas to kill babies. Is this verified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Judgy Fucker posted:

Even if Hamas laid down arms and forsook violence as a political tool the apartheid and genocide would continue.

Why do people say this? They have never once taken such a stance or asked for peaceful integration. They just repeatedly say they want to kill all Jews. Ever since the foundation of Israel, which was an act of Britain.

You act like every person that is bullied is an innocent victim, but Hamas is just as lovely or even shittier than Israel, and if the tables were turned Hamas themselves have said they would exterminate the Jewish state.

FFS at least frame this war factually. Both Hamas and Israel are devoted to the complete destruction of the other and both of them do terrible things. Neither one is a victim they are both horrible lovely assholes vying for survival.