Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If your car bursts into flames, destroys a 20million pound carpark, all the hundreds of other cars in it and grounds hundreds of flights at an international airport for a period of hours/days costing hundreds of thousands of pounds in cancellations and refunds, do they put up your car insurance rate the next year?

Asking for a friend?

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

In the same logic, why not fly the Russian flag next to Ukraine flags then?

Way above my pay/troll grade but yeah you might not be wrong?

I guess we are a third country and we can display our distaste for a nations actions by flying or not flying its flag. So we probably shouldnt fly a russian flag right now, from like public buildings.

And youre right we could choose to not fly an Israeli flag right now because of their actions. But also we could want to because of the horrible thing that happened to them.

and we have no reason not to fly a Palestine flag right now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*1939* in solidarity with the people of Poland who have been so cruelly invaded we are now flying both the flag of Nazi Germany and of pre-occupied Poland

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

so thats what that burning smell was

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

*1939* in solidarity with the people of Poland who have been so cruelly invaded we are now flying both the flag of Nazi Germany and of pre-occupied Poland

It's 17th July, 1936, 5 months after a democratic election with record turnout of 73% that was won by a Popular Front coalition of left and centre left parties, and a military coup lead by José Sanjurjo, Emilio Mola & Francisco Franco rises across Spain (helped by British intelligence agents, of course) rises up to overthrow them, leading to a 3 year long Civil War that sees between half a million & a million dead and God only knows how many forced into exile, and a brutal fascist dictatorship that controlled the country for the next 40 years.

NJAN: "Why don't we fly the flag of the Spanish Republic alongside that of the Carlists, Falangists & monarchists?"

Yeah, OK mate

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It's 17th July, 1936, 5 months after a democratic election with record turnout of 73% that was won by a Popular Front coalition of left and centre left parties, and a military coup lead by José Sanjurjo, Emilio Mola & Francisco Franco rises across Spain (helped by British intelligence agents, of course) rises up to overthrow them, leading to a 3 year long Civil War that sees between half a million & a million dead and God only knows how many forced into exile, and a brutal fascist dictatorship that controlled the country for the next 40 years.

NJAN: "Why don't we fly the flag of the Spanish Republic alongside that of the Carlists, Falangists & monarchists?"

Yeah, OK mate

its now, a completely different situation

forkboy84: some dumb poo poo

yeah, ok mate

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Like even you can't be this desperate to be wrong about something? wtf?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS: out of respect for your culture and tradition, your flag will be flown alongside the Cardassian flag in all major capital cities.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS: out of respect for your culture and tradition, your flag will be flown alongside the Cardassian flag in all major capital cities.

do you not think a two state solution would be for the best?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If your car bursts into flames, destroys a 20million pound carpark, all the hundreds of other cars in it and grounds hundreds of flights at an international airport for a period of hours/days costing hundreds of thousands of pounds in cancellations and refunds, do they put up your car insurance rate the next year?

I think it's like the insurance companies have their own insurance companies which are backed by huge capital funds that are themselves another layer of insurance company. Somewhere along the chain someone will refuse to pay but I don't know where.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Reinsurance, that's what I was thinking of.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I had to share this nugget of info:
https://twitter.com/StuntRider/status/1712206049862652288

And how the gently caress has this not made it to the thread yet?

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1712215992422572318

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Please go in the IP thread if you want to take this further (if you are genuinely sincere), and don't poo poo up this one. Thanks.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 11, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Please go in the IP thread if you want to take this further if you are genuinely sincere, and don't poo poo up this one. Thanks.

ok. But I don't know why my post is the tipping point.

I guess its the first non poo poo post

fair enough

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ok. But I don't know why my post is the tipping point.

Ask the same question in the IP thread, then you'll understand. HTH

TLDR: Apartheid bad

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i hadn't realised

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I think it's like the insurance companies have their own insurance companies which are backed by huge capital funds that are themselves another layer of insurance company. Somewhere along the chain someone will refuse to pay but I don't know where.

I don't think they can at the end. I seem to recall there was a time when loads of "Lloyds Names" (individuals who usually make a fortune out of insurance and are the final underwriters of insurance payouts) going bankrupt.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2000/nov/04/business.personalfinancenews1

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I really, really cannot stress strongly enough how much I do not want to answer this question. I don't know.

I don't know how to 'solve' Israel and Palestine's conflict, and I am very suspicious of anyone (outside of a very small number of very experienced UN negotiators) who's confident they have a soundbite-sized solution.

But I think you can also point to mass killings and ongoing expansionism and say "that's bad and it should stop" without having to also come up with a fix for the entire mess.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 11, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I really, really cannot stress strongly enough how much I do not want to answer this question. I don't know. I don't know how to 'solve' Israel and Palestine's conflict, and I am very suspicious of anyone (outside of a very small number of very experienced UN negotiators) who's confident they have a soundbite-sized solution.

ok totally fair

just a bit weird you would glibly post this

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When a situation greater than you becomes nonsensical, sometimes nonsense becomes the only rational response.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I love you bobby. Your a top dude so I'll take you at that

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe is a top notch poster and I will not see them slandered

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair I can also be a wildly inconsistent dick.

I just feel like this is all so profoundly hosed, and there's a solutely nothing we can do? Not just the situation but the situation surrounding the situation. Not being able to say anything after the antisemitism witch hunt against Corbyn. The stuff about prevent a few days ago. And all of these dickheads who don't know anything about politics or the complexity of the territorial conflict who have boiled it down to "Israel are the goodies and if you don't put their flag up you're doing an antisemitism."

Bunch of clueless dipshits lecturing to us from a book they're visibly holding upside down.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I propose that noone is allowed to reduce this thread to some abstract Star Trek bullshit that I don't understand, so NJAN don't make it a big thing that you probably misinterpreted from some TV show

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i agree with bobby

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you're sad about I-P just remember that there's a third way

hashtag China Gay

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i agree with bobby

Ok good. Let's just chill with the Star Trek. We can discuss things in normal terms

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I agree. Make it so.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Ok good. Let's just chill with the Star Trek. We can discuss things in normal terms

you're a cling on

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe posted:

wildly inconsistent dick

you can get pills for that now

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're a cling on

Your posts do make a Klingon thing happen on my forehead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The problem with a 2 state solution is that almost nothing Israel has done suggest they have any interest in an actually independent Palestine, as opposed to the current Bantustans where the Israelis control borders and airspace and can just decide that Palestinians aren't allowed control of their territorial waters.

Symbolic of all this, Yasser Arafat International Airport opened in 1998 near Rafah, as allowed under the Oslo Accords. And the Israelis forced its closure in 2001, culminating in bombing the infrastructure and eventually bulldozing the runway, leaving the small Gush Katif Airport as the only only one left in the Gaza Strip. Which has in turn been overrun by Khan Younis refugee camp.

And that's without even worrying about the logistics, like how you can have a state separated by 25 miles of a hostile nation. It's one thing having Belgian enclaves in the Netherlands or vice versa, quite another for the Palestinian situation

It's about as realistic a scenario as a one state solution where Jew, Christian, Muslim, & everyone else live side by side as equals at this point

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The problem with a 2 state solution is that almost nothing Israel has done suggest they have any interest in an actually independent Palestine, as opposed to the current Bantustans where the Israelis control borders and airspace and can just decide that Palestinians aren't allowed control of their territorial waters.

Symbolic of all this, Yasser Arafat International Airport opened in 1998 near Rafah, as allowed under the Oslo Accords. And the Israelis forced its closure in 2001, culminating in bombing the infrastructure and eventually bulldozing the runway, leaving the small Gush Katif Airport as the only only one left in the Gaza Strip. Which has in turn been overrun by Khan Younis refugee camp.

And that's without even worrying about the logistics, like how you can have a state separated by 25 miles of a hostile nation. It's one thing having Belgian enclaves in the Netherlands or vice versa, quite another for the Palestinian situation

It's about as realistic a scenario as a one state solution where Jew, Christian, Muslim, & everyone else live side by side as equals at this point

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Your posts do make a Klingon thing happen on my forehead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

See, this is why I post hyperbolic exaggerations, because sincere posting is futility, making an effort is never rewarded.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

See, this is why I post hyperbolic exaggerations, because sincere posting is futility, making an effort is never rewarded.

Fair enough. But you also write posts like this

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, OK mate

so... i guess we're agreeing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just go to bed if you're going to do this poo poo.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

In completely other news, a single has been entendred.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I scrolled back through your posts in this thread. The whole last page, which I'm sure isnt unrepresentative, is just one line nothings

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Fair enough. But you also write posts like this

Yes, that was the hyperbolic comic exaggeration I referred to. Which was honestly as much me taking the piss out of Tess just going straight to the Nazis as it was you making a post I thought was a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, that was the hyperbolic comic exaggeration I referred to. Which was honestly as much me taking the piss out of Tess just going straight to the Nazis as it was you making a post I thought was a bit silly.

yeah i know it was a dumb reply by me and i should go to bed