Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Chapter 4 end: drat I can’t believe everyone is loving dead, you hate to see it. Higan seems to rule though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Double posting to ask, am I ever gonna see stealing hands in the hub shop before postgame? The stealing move thieves get kinda sucks compared to the DD2 and (I think?) 5 version where the range got better eventually, and in any case just being able to pop a cheap item for extended range is a much better deal.

Also, thoughts on new Item World? I like that it asks you to be more proactive than just going scorched earth and makes blitzing the gate situationally optimal, but at the same time it’s kind of a bummer that enemies either don’t have super good steals (which, tbh, they haven’t since Disgaea 3 rebalanced things) or my thief is dead because something Jumbofied and punched her out in one hit (not sure how I feel about Jumbofication on the whole because of situations like that) but also the only rewards are more item levels, which feel like that stat bloat stuff I heard about 6, where you get a level 100 emblem but it’s still the equivalent of a +10 one in Disgaea 5.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Last Celebration posted:

Just overlevel, but if you unlock the Cheat Shop you can just jack up the enemy levels in 1-3 to make it relatively painless since there’s an easy geo puzzle to leave the enemies nearly dead.

This is what I ended up doing. Cheat shop is pretty cheap to unlock, and the geodestruction “tutorial” level is pretty quick to Farm once you level them up.

Ended up oneshotting the jumbo boss once I got my guy enbiggened.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Double posting to ask, am I ever gonna see stealing hands in the hub shop before postgame?

No, but there's a shop in one of the sightseeing stages that sells a couple. They restock every battle, still kind of a pain if you want a lot of them.

Last Celebration posted:

Also, thoughts on new Item World?

Powerlevelling-wise, it's just like previous games where for stats, it's more effective to focus on character levels/stats until late in the postgame.

But the new thing about this one is it seems to be built around using Item World Research and Item Reincarnation to collect properties on items en masse. Item world research is MUCH easier and more effective than in previous games (no sending units away or anything). You just queue up a bunch of whatever items you're not using and let it ride. I've been ignoring equipment stats and just reincarnating things in large quantities, and equipping what I like based on its properties.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
When do you get the auto battle system?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I wonder if this Demmodore Opener guy what hosed up the pop culture feudal japan netherworld will be political somehow...

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Mayveena posted:

When do you get the auto battle system?

iirc after chapter 4. i had to find this out on my own because no one online seems to have posted it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Do the character DLC stages ever stop scaling with your max character level? Having one character way higher than everyone else and attempting a stage where every monster on the stage is level matched and also the star enemy character is in permanent hell mode can be a bit rough. The one's I have beaten are mostly from abusing the full heal when gigantifying

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

zzMisc posted:

No, but there's a shop in one of the sightseeing stages that sells a couple. They restock every battle, still kind of a pain if you want a lot of them.

Well that’s a baffling bummer, thanks.

quote:

Powerlevelling-wise, it's just like previous games where for stats, it's more effective to focus on character levels/stats until late in the postgame.

But the new thing about this one is it seems to be built around using Item World Research and Item Reincarnation to collect properties on items en masse. Item world research is MUCH easier and more effective than in previous games (no sending units away or anything). You just queue up a bunch of whatever items you're not using and let it ride. I've been ignoring equipment stats and just reincarnating things in large quantities, and equipping what I like based on its properties.

Tbh I always treated item world that way too, where it was nice that you came out with a +12 item in the main story but the main prize was bonus gauge/chest/stolen loot. I guess it still kinda works out since fighting enemies who rapidly escalate in levels is a good way to get beat up and roll the hospital gatcha though, haven’t had a chance to dick around with the research or reincarnation features yet.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

Do the character DLC stages ever stop scaling with your max character level? Having one character way higher than everyone else and attempting a stage where every monster on the stage is level matched and also the star enemy character is in permanent hell mode can be a bit rough. The one's I have beaten are mostly from abusing the full heal when gigantifying

Yes, at level 9999. :P

In seriousness, I was only able to handle those after getting a few class stars on my main and reincarnating, to boost stats while keeping level lower. Do that too much and the rest of the main game will be trivialized, though, if you're trying to maintain some challenge there.

Last Celebration posted:

Well that’s a baffling bummer, thanks.

Something just occurred to me - supposedly you can stick Gency's in the item research, reincarnate them back into Gency's again, and every time they reincarnate you get another use out of it. Maybe the same can be done with stealing hands?

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 7, 2023

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

zzMisc posted:

Yes, at level 9999. :P

In seriousness, I was only able to handle those after getting a few class stars on my main and reincarnating, to boost stats while keeping level lower. Do that too much and the rest of the main game will be trivialized, though, if you're trying to maintain some challenge there.

Something just occurred to me - supposedly you can stick Gency's in the item research, reincarnate them back into Gency's again, and every time they reincarnate you get another use out of it. Maybe the same can be done with stealing hands?

Maybe you can get multiple uses out of the stealing items through item reincarnation, but at that point is it really worth it compared to the skill that attempts to steal from every opponent on the map?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Having a little trouble with trying to figure out how to set up a DI to have a support unit just tower climb onto my highest level unit and have him go to work; it seems like when he is lifting a unit the default charge DI setting just completely shits itself. Any advice here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I last played (some of) 5 quite a while ago, but I don't remember enjoying the story and characters as much as I am here. It was fine, but I wasn't giggling my way through it. This feels like classic Disgaea in that respect. Did something change or is my memory of 5 just fuzzy?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have a few 2 times reincarnated characters to lvl 300 before I realized you can have 10 characters out

I thought it was 9 for some reason.

Chapter 11 stage 1 (I think) has around a dozen lvl 99 characters to farm if you have the cheat shop difficulty set to 4

Lvl 99's give the same xp as ~lvl 300

I'm going from memory but it's the stage with a gate where all the enemies spawned facing away from you the first time.

Going through the post game and partway into martial training maps.

Game good.

I wish there were more op things I could have stolen, I didn't see "horse weiner" item this go around.

The hospital gatcha was many ranks above anything I stole as far as I remember and I was on 2-8 star difficulty most of the story (I don't think that affects items on enemies)

Oh well soon all of my story level items will be worthless anyway.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I last played (some of) 5 quite a while ago, but I don't remember enjoying the story and characters as much as I am here. It was fine, but I wasn't giggling my way through it. This feels like classic Disgaea in that respect. Did something change or is my memory of 5 just fuzzy?
5 is definitely not as comical as the rest of the series.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I can't wait until there are mods for 7.

Wait yes I can that's what I'm going to do, wait a year to play 7 weeee. I check the modding discord every day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Last Celebration posted:

Just overlevel, but if you unlock the Cheat Shop you can just jack up the enemy levels in 1-3 to make it relatively painless since there’s an easy geo puzzle to leave the enemies nearly dead.

Thank you so much for this. I had the cheat shop open but did not think to increase enemy levels, and I was wondering how to grind for the chapter 2 boss.

EDIT: Ahahaha OF COURSE the Juice Bar opens after that battle.

EDIT2: I hope that did not come off as angry. Like, its just really funny to me that they hold out on that feature for that long and have it just after it would have been nice to have.

As an aside, who does the English VA for Fuji? The english voices so far have been absolutely on point.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 10, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just unlocked the Evil Gacha and I am kicking myself for not grinding it out sooner :sickos:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I have unlocked the big gentlemanly crab, and that's a great idea for a monster class. Gonna have fun with this guy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Chapter 11 stage 1 (I think) has around a dozen lvl 99 characters to farm if you have the cheat shop difficulty set to 4

Lvl 99's give the same xp as ~lvl 300

I really love how every(?) Disgaea game has a level like this in the story.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it was accidental at first, but yeah at some point they realized people were exploiting the whole level 99 = 31X thing and just deliberately started making maps with EXP + on them as a stepping stone.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Looks like I'm starting the carnage unlock maps already.

Not that I am complaining but it feels easier and easier to get to carnage with each game

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Deki posted:

Not that I am complaining but it feels easier and easier to get to carnage with each game

Yeah I recall D4 Carnage unlock was kinda miserable. D5/DD2 were easy... I think, all I remember about those is horrible story in 5 and what if the first Disgaea but Etna. For me the D7 story is about as fun and entertaining as D4.

In D7 I am currently stuck between having unlocked Carnage but being unable to do Carnage MartialGara Final at 2 stars (or Normal Baal) to really break the system open. RP Farming, Carnage Items, and 0 Star C MartialGara Final all progress various things relatively slowly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Deki posted:

Wasn't it Disgaea 3 where LoC unlocks required something like you had to build a specific spaceship (or whatever it was called) and jump through a bunch of other hoops to unlock it? In 6 you just needed to beat some challenge maps to unlock Carnage and Rakshasa which honestly was a-ok to me. I forget what 5's LoC unlock was. I think it was also just needing to beat a certain boss/map?

Unlocking LoC was genuinely unfun in some games so if 7 kept the "just beat this series of challenge maps" thing then I hope that's the way they do it from here on out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Was it D2 where you had to encounter all the IW pirates or was that for something else

That loving blew

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Is there something special you need to do in 7 to be able to get the last star of a class?

Like unlock carnage or be level 9999 something? I'm stuck at 5 stars.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was it D2 where you had to encounter all the IW pirates or was that for something else

That loving blew

Not just encounter, but you had to kill the captain too and there's like 20 different pirates and it's random whether you get the ones you haven't seen yet.

It did indeed loving blow.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Is there something special you need to do in 7 to be able to get the last star of a class?

Like unlock carnage or be level 9999 something? I'm stuck at 5 stars.

It just takes a billion more xp so you won't notice the exp bar move at all until you start leveling up the enemies.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Clarste posted:

It just takes a billion more xp so you won't notice the exp bar move at all until you start leveling up the enemies.

I mean, I'm at 20 star enemies/800% class EXP and after 20ish clears of Marital 5 doesn't even budge. Is it bugged or is that normal?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc class EXP only cares about the cumulative stats of defeated enemies, or at least that’s how it worked in 5, so beating up Carnage enemies (or Carnage Geo Blocks if that one skill 5 had still exists) is the quickest way to level it since they have approximately forty times the stats of their normal counterparts and keep gaining stats after 9999. It makes sense that the last tier is so absurdly hard to unlock since you can just buy a class’ innate evilty on full mastery.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm trying to unlock the Maiko right now and since I haven't beaten the game and unlocked the land of carnage yet, this is a massive pain in the rear end, what the hell

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How has the series evolved over the years? I think I only played Disgaea 2 on PS2 but I enjoyed it.

Would I still enjoy Disgaea 7 if I'm not really into the bigger number go up stuff?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

poe meater posted:

How has the series evolved over the years? I think I only played Disgaea 2 on PS2 but I enjoyed it.

Would I still enjoy Disgaea 7 if I'm not really into the bigger number go up stuff?

Disgaea hasn’t really had radical changes to its fundamental gameplay beyond QoL because NIS has made a bunch of different games spanning different RPG genres for that purpose, but 7 is a pretty good time if you just want a solid grid-based SRPG. I kinda feel like it’s not a huge improvement over 5 (6 is when NIS finally shifted to 3D models and it’s not the most highly regarded entry for the growing pains associated with that) which is probably significantly cheaper. I guess 4 is even cheaper than 5 but personally it’s my second-least favorite on pure gameplay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Personally I feel like the series has moved away from the big numbers as the only selling point and is more satisfying as just strategy games. Like, classes and monsters have more unique abilities, and map design is more creative (sometimes).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looks like stacks don't have unique attack animations anymore. Do they still stack up damage and share XP like they used to? It was always fun to kick someone up the tower.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Clarste posted:

Personally I feel like the series has moved away from the big numbers as the only selling point and is more satisfying as just strategy games. Like, classes and monsters have more unique abilities, and map design is more creative (sometimes).

:same:

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 12, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

That loving blew

I think that was 3. I remember having to hunt down pirates for some reason in 3 and by the time I unlocked LoC I just didn't care to play any more because that and PPS duping were awful. When D4 had the shop bug that let you dupe the last item in your inventory I basically turned off auto updates for the game because there was zero loving chance I was going to give up a way to almost instantly max out innocents when the "intended" way was farming in the Senate or some other tedious bullshit. The mechanic in 5 for making and maxing innocents was good though. The QoL stuff in 5 was just so nice while 6 felt like a downgrade (but still a better game than 3). Hopefully I'll get around to 7 in the coming weeks.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Despite its love of big numbers, Disgaea has always been on the side of SRPGs with good gameplay; that is, games where you move all of your characters and then the bad guys move all of theirs, rather than their actions being interwoven.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nrook posted:

Despite its love of big numbers, Disgaea has always been on the side of SRPGs with good gameplay; that is, games where you move all of your characters and then the bad guys move all of theirs, rather than their actions being interwoven.

This is actually one thing I wish were different about the series, but it's done well, so no big deal. The all-at-once style means you have more extreme and sudden outcomes, and I'd rather have lots of opportunities for each to side respond to the other's actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

gently caress Demon Shogi.

At least you can just look up the solutions, but yeesh.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is actually one thing I wish were different about the series, but it's done well, so no big deal. The all-at-once style means you have more extreme and sudden outcomes, and I'd rather have lots of opportunities for each to side respond to the other's actions.

From the very first game, I always felt like this was the part of the whole "loose, exploitable, abusable" mechanical system that made this series so unique. At the time of Disgaea 1's release the SRPG world was basically full of "serious" games about the trials and horrors of war, with tight mechanics to match. Everything was trying to be 'realistic', heavily strategy-based, with victories always hard-won by a hair.. then comes along this ridiculous saturday-morning-cartoony SRPG about demons in a game with hilariously exploitable mechanics and a million ways to "cheat" that are right in line with what your characters would do. Focusing entirely on damage and ganking your enemies before they have a chance to respond is totally part of that.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 12, 2023