Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

That greasy gently caress wouldn't burn clean enough for white smoke

Ahh, so he would be the source of the black smoke. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Failed Imagineer posted:

That greasy gently caress wouldn't burn clean enough for white smoke

Probably torch up and spew black smoke everywhere. Hope you've got glass barriers in front of that fireplace instead of a screen or they might get some grease burns.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

haveblue posted:

Yes. Voting for a speaker is the only thing the House can do without a speaker

I can't wait for the GOP to start blaming Democrats for not voting for their guy. Again.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
So McCain had his thumbs down, and Sinema had her weird curtsy. What awkward finishing move is Gaetz going to do when he tanks the Scalise vote?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kaal posted:

So McCain had his thumbs down, and Sinema had her weird curtsy. What awkward finishing move is Gaetz going to do when he tanks the Scalise vote?

I wonder if any democrat could nominate someone from the other party for the lulz?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What would be more entertaining, all the House democrats voting in lockstep for Jeffries over and over and over and...

Or the Dems entering Max Chaos mode and voting in lockstep for a different random Republican each time, avoiding all the Republicans who actually want the speakership?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You vote for Jeffries over and over again. Do not make this about you, this is the Republicans making GBS threads themselves and then slipping in it over and over again, do not wander into the poo poo show.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Kaal posted:

Rumors are he's been training his goatman form.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kaal posted:

The gas-pedal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kaal posted:

Dicks out for chaos

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I was going to say he would gaspadal himself.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Another defector announces he won't honor the caucus vote for Scalise on the floor:

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1712163488888459762

That brings it up to 4 who are publicly opposed or not committed.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Another defector announces he won't honor the caucus vote for Scalise on the floor:

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1712163488888459762

That brings it up to 4 who are publicly opposed or not committed.

So that's Scalise's limit, right? He can't afford a single other defection from the remaining Republican Reps, including Gaetz of all people, without guaranteeing at least 2 rounds of speakership votes?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kaal posted:

A creepy smile and a wink at the all girls highschool field trip in the balcony.

Randalor posted:

What would be more entertaining, all the House democrats voting in lockstep for Jeffries over and over and over and...

Or the Dems entering Max Chaos mode and voting in lockstep for a different random Republican each time, avoiding all the Republicans who actually want the speakership?

If they vote for a Republican they'll have to do a rush to change their vote when a handful of Republicans join them, or spend the rest of the term explaining why the guy they lockstep voted for sucks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gyges posted:

If they vote for a Republican they'll have to do a rush to change their vote when a handful of Republicans join them, or spend the rest of the term explaining why the guy they lockstep voted for sucks.

That's a fair point. What about if they each just vote for one non-speaker candidate each in the first round of voting? Just a general "Here's a participation trophy, you can say someone voted for you for speaker."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The party line is that the House should be less chaotic and the GOP should get its poo poo together as quickly as possible, sadly that rules out trolling stunts

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Thoughts and stairs for Tommy Tuberville.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
lmao at nancy mace the insane chaos agent
https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1712217436643008793

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
This is all secretly part of Matt Gaetz's plan to become POTUS through the Speakership. We need to make sure Biden and Harris are separate if it ever looks like he might ascend :tinfoil:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Since she has no issues with speaking at the caucus gathering, she must really hate David Duke.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There are two ways you can interpret her objection

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

"He once spoke to a white supremacist meeting and compared himself to David Duke, but what has he done for me lately?"

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
"Congressman, you are no David Duke!"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It proves he's a liberal because liberals are the real racists.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do the dems have enough to offer defectors that they could have a go at forming a minority government?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
My instinct is no? They'd be driven from the party and switching wouldn't help them I'd think. Last MOC to try that was Arlen Specter? Replaced by Pat Toomey (R). Reaching across the aisle did Liz Cheney no favors either.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I think the problem for defectors is that they'd have to give Democrats a lot for it to actually work, and if Republican members of congress wanted to vote for that much Democratic legislation they could just switch parties.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Lone Badger posted:

Do the dems have enough to offer defectors that they could have a go at forming a minority government?

I don't believe there are any Republicans who are in a district where either they don't have to worry about being primaried for treason, or would survive the Democratic primary if they switched parties. So outside of outright bribes, there is nothing to offer Republicans that would allow the Democrats to form a minority government.

There are probably enough Republicans who could be talked into some sort of arrangement where the Democrats get a lot of rules that allow them to bring bills to the floor and gain some power over the agenda, but where Republicans are still in charge and have the Speaker's office. The exact limits of such a quasi/actual power sharing agreement are unknown.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1712225690173493268

I think the odds we have a speaker by the time the current budget CR deal runs out are very slim at this point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So, just speaking theoretically here because I'm sure it's extremely unlikely, but what happens if the majority party is unable to elect a speaker? Are there any procedural fallbacks if they're literally unable to get their poo poo together for weeks or longer?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1712170212643262766

According to the doctors over at Fox News, I believe this indicates advanced stage Lewy body dementia.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

So, just speaking theoretically here because I'm sure it's extremely unlikely, but what happens if the majority party is unable to elect a speaker? Are there any procedural fallbacks if they're literally unable to get their poo poo together for weeks or longer?

Stout sticks are distributed and the House doors locked until only one faction remains.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Stout sticks are distributed and the House doors locked until only one faction remains.

I've seen documentary footage of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY&t=93s

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Skippy McPants posted:

No House business gets done until they elect a Speaker of the House to conduct said business.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skippy McPants posted:

Nothing the founders did acknowledged the idea that maybe the political body might have political parties, despite themselves dividing into two parties before finalizing everything. So things aren't set up with the idea that the majority party must pick their Speaker, things are set up with the idea that a majority of the House picks a Speaker.

So if Republicans can't get their poo poo together, we just watch as we blow by 15 rounds of voting and wait until Vegas or somebody lets us place bets on whether we finally show the 1800s who's boss and blow by 133 rounds. Or some Republican makes a deal with Democrats to buy their support while retaining at least 4 other Republicans.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

zoux posted:

According to the doctors over at Fox News, I believe this indicates advanced stage Lewy body dementia.

Its tuberville, how would you know his mind is going? He comes pre-vegetable

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

As far as I know, no. There is no House business that can be done before a Speaker is elected.

In theory the American public should immediately (well, at the nearest election, because the system is stupid) vote out the people too disorganized and fractured to elect a Speaker. In practice lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I am impressed that it seems McCarthy isn't the only person in Republican Leadership with a humiliation fetish. Like, what was even the point of their big push for Speaker Scalise when it was almost immediately undercut by Republicans shouting how they'll never vote for him. The whole point of their closed door thing was to find a guy who can get 217 votes, and they run proudly to the press with their nominee who can only get 113 in a closed door meeting.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, and all the Speaker Scalise news is essentially leaks to the press from the 99 NO voters looking to shiv Caesar before his toga even touches the Rubicon.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ravenfood posted:

As far as I know, no. There is no House business that can be done before a Speaker is elected.

In theory the American public should immediately (well, at the nearest election, because the system is stupid) vote out the people too disorganized and fractured to elect a Speaker. In practice lol

All the Constitution requires is that the “House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker”, a position that has no defined legislative powers. So hypothetically they could “determine the Rules of its Proceedings” in a way that strips the speaker of any formal role and simply operate on a majority vote. In practice there’s no reason that the “blow up the government” caucus is going to go out of their way to make sure the government is functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Hopefully he remains absent from the Senate for a few days.