Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Anyone ever ordered from Blackwell's? I placed an order just about ten days ago and it says "dispatched" but has been sitting at awaiting label or whatever for quite some time. There are a lot of posts mentioning that they don't provide tracking but there's an associated tracking page and stuff, so I'm just assuming those are out of date. I'm just curious about the relative timeline or success of the order for goons outside the UK. They have insanely good prices and selection vis-a-vis 2000 AD books, which are often pretty hard to find without paying like $100 in shipping, so I made a substantial purchase and want to gauge how long it'll probably take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

So I sold a Spawn collectors edition hardcover on eBay today and I'm printing out the shipping label and notice it's going to LA and the name is Robert Kirkman so I Google search the address and it's going to Skybound Entertainment offices. Made my day.

Also makes me wonder if this is for his personal collection or if he's going to be working on a Spawn project.

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I am going to send a comic with a return label and a Gemini mailer and a note asking nicely.

So I sent Kirkman my copy of Void Rivals #1 1:100 with a polite note asking for a signature and with a gemini mailer and return label. I did send him a message on ebay first but I only had a day to ship or ebay would ding my account and I never heard back but I said gently caress it and sent it anyway. It's been almost two weeks and the tracking on the return label hadn't updated so I was beginning to think I gambled $200 comic and lost, but I just checked and it is on it's way back to me and will be here on Monday. It's possible he didn't sign it and just dropped the package back in the mail, but at least I didn't lose it and if it's signed I am going to be incredibly pumped.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Anyone ever ordered from Blackwell's? I placed an order just about ten days ago and it says "dispatched" but has been sitting at awaiting label or whatever for quite some time. There are a lot of posts mentioning that they don't provide tracking but there's an associated tracking page and stuff, so I'm just assuming those are out of date. I'm just curious about the relative timeline or success of the order for goons outside the UK. They have insanely good prices and selection vis-a-vis 2000 AD books, which are often pretty hard to find without paying like $100 in shipping, so I made a substantial purchase and want to gauge how long it'll probably take

Did you select "dispatch together" or whatever it is? I believe it says "dispatched" when it gets picked, but it isn't actually sent until the the last item is ready. I've been using them since Book Depository went under and I haven't had any problems.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Did you select "dispatch together" or whatever it is? I believe it says "dispatched" when it gets picked, but it isn't actually sent until the the last item is ready. I've been using them since Book Depository went under and I haven't had any problems.

Nah I selected the other option so I think things are being dispatched as they’re picked from the warehouse, I received an email saying an ABC warriors book had been dispatched but the other items were still awaiting shipment. My previous order seems to be en route just taking awhile, and the tracking is working, so hearing you’ve used them without issues is really all the reassurance I needed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

D-Pad posted:

So I sent Kirkman my copy of Void Rivals #1 1:100 with a polite note asking for a signature and with a gemini mailer and return label. I did send him a message on ebay first but I only had a day to ship or ebay would ding my account and I never heard back but I said gently caress it and sent it anyway. It's been almost two weeks and the tracking on the return label hadn't updated so I was beginning to think I gambled $200 comic and lost, but I just checked and it is on it's way back to me and will be here on Monday. It's possible he didn't sign it and just dropped the package back in the mail, but at least I didn't lose it and if it's signed I am going to be incredibly pumped.

That's a really rad cover. Wishing you the best! This Energon Universe stuff seems like it's going to be pretty interesting so far.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

He signed it! So pumped.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
loving sweet.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a good website for organizing what you've already read, what you want to read next, what you're currently reading and recommends stuff based on the aforementioned? Something like anime-planet?

I've looked around, and good reads is a bit too wide and league of comic geeks seems way more geared for people who collect the physical media and want to keep up with upcoming releases.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
StoryGraph would probably work if you’re doing trade paperbacks and other forms of collected works. I use it to log my reading, and I include graphic novels and other collections.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This is a good joke, I'll give him that.
https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/1702687437372498117

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

StoryGraph would probably work if you’re doing trade paperbacks and other forms of collected works. I use it to log my reading, and I include graphic novels and other collections.

This is like 89% of what I want, and is by far way better than the things I tried above. I guess I gotta roll my own if I want something closer to what I want.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw something kind of goofy today, a Batman Hot Wheels set where the cars were all normal stuff like a police car that just said Gotham PD on it except the last one which was the Batwing from Rises.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Friend of mine found a pile of loose Finder issues at a comic shop. They have lots of art and lore that never made it into the Library editions.

Style sheets for characters

Spreads on the inside covers

Fanart

Furry fanart

Some of it I can understand not including in the collected editions. Somebody commissioned a marriage proposal in the series' original run, which is maybe too personal to put in the trade.

The guy said he'd compile all the photos into a big album, so I'll post that when it's done.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 22, 2023

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Tess Fowler has run into some fuckery and is in desperate need of support:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxjaLWAvzRp/?hl=en

tl;dr - she didn't get some COVID support she applied for and suddenly ended up on the hook for $20,000 worth of back rent.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

mellonbread posted:

Friend of mine found a pile of loose Finder issues at a comic shop. They have lots of art and lore that never made it into the Library editions.

Style sheets for characters

Spreads on the inside covers

Fanart

Furry fanart

Some of it I can understand not including in the collected editions. Somebody commissioned a marriage proposal in the series' original run, which is maybe too personal to put in the trade.

The guy said he'd compile all the photos into a big album, so I'll post that when it's done.

Wow, this is really cool to see! I've only read Finder in the collected editions, so I've never seen most of these.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Tess Fowler has run into some fuckery and is in desperate need of support:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxjaLWAvzRp/?hl=en

tl;dr - she didn't get some COVID support she applied for and suddenly ended up on the hook for $20,000 worth of back rent.

drat. Here's a link to her store if any goons want to support her and also buy some great original art/prints.

https://tessfowler.storenvy.com/

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anyone know what happened to the artist that did Hitmen for Destiny?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really wish the Best of 2000AD collections came out at a faster clip. I know 2000AD is still pretty niche in America so, like, monthly probably wouldn't work. But quarterly? Surely there's enough support for the series for them to do a quarterly release.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I really wish the Best of 2000AD collections came out at a faster clip. I know 2000AD is still pretty niche in America so, like, monthly probably wouldn't work. But quarterly? Surely there's enough support for the series for them to do a quarterly release.

god me too. It's such a pain in the rear end trying to be a 2000 AD/Battle/Action fan in the US. They're pretty much my main thing and it just takes forever for poo poo to get here. I'd be extremely pumped if they made that stuff available here, doubly so for regular subscriptions and triply so for anything emanating from the Treasury of British comics. I wonder if there's enough interest on this subforum to sustain a 2000 AD thread

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I was reading the Q & A thread and noticed the discussion on Spider-Man’s jobs. I do remember his job as a high school teacher and given my experience, think that’s the perfect job him. I’m not a teacher, but I work as a paraprofessional and constantly notice that my teacher constantly is late and leaves early all the time. When he’s in class he’s constantly leaving the room to the point where the students question it. He takes 1 day off a week and blames it on family or whatever. His lesson plans seem very on the fly with little thought…like he’s distracted. He is in great shape too…oh my god he’s really spider man!

I seriously would complain to my boss about this stuff but with this teacher shortage, it’s him or nothing, and nothing means I have to teach the class full time…again.

Anyway school wants me to start a monthly comic club. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

King Baby posted:

I was reading the Q & A thread and noticed the discussion on Spider-Man’s jobs. I do remember his job as a high school teacher and given my experience, think that’s the perfect job him. I’m not a teacher, but I work as a paraprofessional and constantly notice that my teacher constantly is late and leaves early all the time. When he’s in class he’s constantly leaving the room to the point where the students question it. He takes 1 day off a week and blames it on family or whatever. His lesson plans seem very on the fly with little thought…like he’s distracted. He is in great shape too…oh my god he’s really spider man!

I seriously would complain to my boss about this stuff but with this teacher shortage, it’s him or nothing, and nothing means I have to teach the class full time…again.

Anyway school wants me to start a monthly comic club. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do?

What's the age range you'd be dealing with?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This could be a getting older thing, but do modern superhero comics feel incredibly disjointed?

I only read a couple, and I know sometimes the disjointedness is due to multibook crossovers, but increasingly, it feels like there's a lot happening in between issues of fairly self-contained runs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

This could be a getting older thing, but do modern superhero comics feel incredibly disjointed?

Only since the late 1990s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

I only read a couple, and I know sometimes the disjointedness is due to multibook crossovers, but increasingly, it feels like there's a lot happening in between issues of fairly self-contained runs.

Kind of. I think a lot of that is everything is now written for the trade. So while there's tight arcs for six issues, there are breaks where things jump around. With constant reboots and relaunches, just knowing a character's status quo is harder than it should be.

This isn't all bad; I'd rather a writer have free reign to tell a new story that they can find in a character that has been around for over fifty years. But it does make it difficult to try to holdnit together into one coherent whole.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm running a meeting of my college's comic book club on "Funny Comix" as a lead-in to a Q&A with KC Green. Any advice to an English Major type so I don't alienate the capeheads? I've already got Fraction's Hawkeye and some Ryan North stuff on the superhero side opposite Jhonen Vasquez, Ware, Hansellman, Far Side, and some incredibly unfunny old Simpsons comics. Considering dropping the Hansellman/Ware because I doubt that plays well to Deadpool types.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

mutantIke posted:

I'm running a meeting of my college's comic book club on "Funny Comix" as a lead-in to a Q&A with KC Green. Any advice to an English Major type so I don't alienate the capeheads? I've already got Fraction's Hawkeye and some Ryan North stuff on the superhero side opposite Jhonen Vasquez, Ware, Hansellman, Far Side, and some incredibly unfunny old Simpsons comics. Considering dropping the Hansellman/Ware because I doubt that plays well to Deadpool types.

The Cowboy Wally Show and I Hate Saturn by Kyle Barker can work for that. Maybe add some JLI/Formerly Known as the Justice League for the cape stuff. Also GLA by Dan Slott if you are feeling cruel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If you're going to use the term Comix than should include some examples of proper Underground Comix, though admittedly you would have to do some picking and choosing to find examples that aren't too crude for the kind of thing you're doing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drrockso20 posted:

If you're going to use the term Comix than should include some examples of proper Underground Comix, though admittedly you would have to do some picking and choosing to find examples that aren't too crude for the kind of thing you're doing
Fat Freddie's Cat is probably a good call as a short example that is not particularly heavy on nudity, racist stereotypes, or nude racist stereotypes.

e: Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers in general is mostly about how much weed they love to smoke which seems pretty mainstream now

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nessus posted:

Fat Freddie's Cat is probably a good call as a short example that is not particularly heavy on nudity, racist stereotypes, or nude racist stereotypes.

e: Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers in general is mostly about how much weed they love to smoke which seems pretty mainstream now

Yeah those comics are a good time

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Oh yeah I should absolutely include some Kyle Baker stuff, his Plastic Man comic is legendary. Good thinking. Definitely gonna try to include at least mentions of underground names like Crumb and Clowes and whatnot. Will check out Freak Bros.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mutantIke posted:

Oh yeah I should absolutely include some Kyle Baker stuff, his Plastic Man comic is legendary. Good thinking. Definitely gonna try to include at least mentions of underground names like Crumb and Clowes and whatnot. Will check out Freak Bros.

The original twelve issues of The Tick by Ben Edlund are hilarious and have aged exceptionally well.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber is great, and so is Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen by Matt Fraction and Steve Lieber. Lieber has surpassed the legendary Kevin Maguire as master of the expressive face for incredible comedic reactions, and both books are so good and funny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah those comics are a good time
They were apparently one of my early reading exercises as a childe, because while I don't remember the plots consciously, whenever I look at one I'm like "OH YEAH!! This one!!"

American Splendor is also a more serious/classic one but less "wacky laffs" per page

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

They were apparently one of my early reading exercises as a childe, because while I don't remember the plots consciously, whenever I look at one I'm like "OH YEAH!! This one!!"

American Splendor is also a more serious/classic one but less "wacky laffs" per page

vampire spotted

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Keith Giffen, Co-Creator Of Rocket Raccoon & Lobo, Has Died, Aged 70

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/keith-giffen-co-creator-rocket-raccoon-lobo-died-aged-70/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I came here to share the same link. I am absolutely destroyed right now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Soonmot posted:

vampire spotted
I swear, officer, I don't know whose blood this is

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goddammit

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Well gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU