Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Khanstant posted:

Haha I missed them trying, glad they did! Makes sense it's not as necessary without rice but what if someone wants to wash their filthy underwear standoffishly? Gonna wish you had fire for that.

Fire makes stuff easier, things like washing clothes or even just raw warmth. The lack of rice also means you get fun ego-boosting moments like people realising they're really good at spear fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

blue squares posted:

How exactly does the rice work nowadays? Do they literally get no food but what they can scavenge?

they're also given electrolyte packets to help mitigate the chance that they collapse and gently caress up the production schedule

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fire warms you. It drys things. It cooks things other than rice. Hell it’s a calming element for many. And it’s become a key game mechanic. It’s an incredibly dumb opinion that it’s “a show off skill” or something obselete.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Emily has big home schooled energy

Shneak posted:

She has big "I'm telling mom!!" energy.

She is autistic.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I wasn’t trying to say fire is useless or even unimportant just that it’s not crucial and it isn’t worth learning how to make it without flint.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think it would be, all you have to do is start it once and you can keep it going. I don’t think it’s a huge time sink to learn it either. Not like they have much else to do when they’re not doing challenges or looking for idols.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The next fire making challenge will be done without flint. They get glasses instead and giant spotlights hanging over their heads.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Invalid Validation posted:

I think it would be, all you have to do is start it once and you can keep it going. I don’t think it’s a huge time sink to learn it either. Not like they have much else to do when they’re not doing challenges or looking for idols.

I wonder if production stamps out any fire at the camp when they go to tribal. Losing the flint isn’t a big deal if you can just reignite some coals at your camp.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I wonder if production stamps out any fire at the camp when they go to tribal. Losing the flint isn’t a big deal if you can just reignite some coals at your camp.

I would bet a lot of money they do this as a safety issue, although I do remember an AMA or something that said a lot of tribes just skip firemaking altogether these days since they started giving them potable water.

wilderthanmild posted:

Brandon and Emily were trying to make fire using his glasses when the boat showed up. It didn't work, but he said something like "I think I see a little smoke" so maybe he was getting close. Either way the result was no fire.

There was a prior season (San Juan Del Sur, I think?) where a contestant actually pulled that off, but only after they snapped their glasses in half and put the lenses on top of each other to double the magnification. Of course that works better the thicker the lenses are, which means the person needs them more to see, so ...

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

ninjahedgehog posted:

I would bet a lot of money they do this as a safety issue, although I do remember an AMA or something that said a lot of tribes just skip firemaking altogether these days since they started giving them potable water.

There was a prior season (San Juan Del Sur, I think?) where a contestant actually pulled that off, but only after they snapped their glasses in half and put the lenses on top of each other to double the magnification. Of course that works better the thicker the lenses are, which means the person needs them more to see, so ...

Yau Man started a fire with his glasses by putting a drop of water on the lens and turning the lens into a magnifying glass. Seems so simple I wonder why more people don’t do it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

I guess since beach and the fact they sometimes struggle to make fire even with flint, doing the rubby stick method is logistically difficult, but are they even allowed to make fire if they haven't earned flint? Can't remember if any of them had glasses but always vaguely figured glasses could be possibly used as a lens for fire starting?

I think it was Hai who said that even when they did have a flint, they never bothered to make fire because there really was no reason to make fire.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hai and Lydia were apparently super lazy so I'm not sure I trust his opinion

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Studio posted:

Hai and Lydia were apparently super lazy so I'm not sure I trust his opinion

If it was the entire tribe, including the merged tribe, I'm not sure how that would be blamed squarely on those two.

I haven't rewatched any of the new seasons, so maybe they did start making fires after Hai left. I don't recall.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Vulgar posted:

Yau Man started a fire with his glasses by putting a drop of water on the lens and turning the lens into a magnifying glass. Seems so simple I wonder why more people don’t do it

When Brandon was trying he had a drop of water on the lens.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I got my partner into this show, which I thought was great until I came home last night to see him watching season 39 of his own free will :cripes:

I'd forgotten how awful the Dan stuff was.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I'm sorry what is this S39 you speak of? Please stay on topic of real survivor that happened.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Ironic Twist posted:

What civic position would Bruce have in Slamtown

Supervisor of Property Tax Assessment but with his exact schtick in the office. Just doing the robot through the cubicle farm on the way to the break room on his way to steal somebody’s sandwich out of the communal fridge. Stopping at every desk to say “hey, working hard or hardly working?” before double finger guns and moonwalk away.

Also, wrt the wax encased idol, why didn’t she just pop the thing into the fire at tribal? Everybody important knew about it anyway. “Jeff, I just took possession of my idol.” Boom shakalaka.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheCenturion posted:

Also, wrt the wax encased idol, why didn’t she just pop the thing into the fire at tribal? Everybody important knew about it anyway. “Jeff, I just took possession of my idol.” Boom shakalaka.

I'm glad I'm not theonly one who thought of this.

Alternately, stick it on her torch during tribal council.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It's actually kind of wild, Brandon with his vote could've made something happen with Emily lol. He wouldn't have, but he could've.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Studio posted:

It's actually kind of wild, Brandon with his vote could've made something happen with Emily lol. He wouldn't have, but he could've.

Kaleb getting rock-ed out in episode 2 because of some Brandon/Sabiyah tie would have been insane.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Russell Hantz just doxxed Wendell because he unfollowed Russell on Twitter

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Once again proving following Russel Hantz in any capacity is a bad idea.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Studio posted:

Lol I went to Russell's Twitter to look and the birthday balloons popped up. So this is how he's spending his birthday

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Studio posted:

Unfollowed Russell three years ago and he just noticed. And then asked if it was because he's white.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Im sure it's fun to be a Survivor celebrity (actually no it sounds horrible) but imagine basing your entire personality on playing two pretty good games of a reality show 15 years ago. Sad

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

But enough about Johnny Fairplay on House Of Villains

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Russell's games were both dogshit, that's the secret

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Alternately, stick it on her torch during tribal council.

This was my thought. I'm guessing production is only letting them use the fire of earned flint for drama's sake. No way whoever was observant enough to see the rope was unobservant enough not to think "hey there's a nice portable fire right here".

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mp5 posted:

He also played a round of Australian Survivor, which was also dogshit! Nobody liked him though so it was entertaining television.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mp5 posted:

Hey now, let's be fair. His third game was also dogshit.

It was very funny on the Boston Rob season how Russell was like "look I'm not gonna do the thing" and then he immediately did the thing and his tribe saw through it and voted him out ASAP

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Targeting Kaleb here is just an absurdly bad move, you gotta think they walk back from this ledge

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It would be dumb to get rid of Caleb now. He would be a good ally for them. Without Caleb their chances of getting picked off as easy votes goes way up

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It only matters if they gently caress up the immunity challenge

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
All this extra poo poo is eye rollingly complicated.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I think it's silly and fun and preferable to last season's advantagepalooza.

Loving the 90 minute episodes. So much of what I thought was missing from Survivor in recent years is back and I love it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

maybealabia posted:

It only matters if they gently caress up the immunity challenge

Whelp

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

obliriovrons posted:

Loving the 90 minute episodes. So much of what I thought was missing from Survivor in recent years is back and I love it.

The 90 minutes really helps because it felt like before there was no strategy anymore and it was just challenges.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Diabetic posted:

The 90 minutes really helps because it felt like before there was no strategy anymore and it was just challenges.

Not even that, there was no, like, getting to know these people playing the game, which to me makes everything that happens have more impact. I'm so glad we've been having like twenty minutes of everyone dicking around at camp at the start of each episode.

Apparently on last week's episode, every player had a confessional. Love actually having the time to get to know these people!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

obliriovrons posted:

Yeah the 90 minutes is massive, if only because without it you’d still get all the digging for idols and none of anything else except challenges. Basically it’s saving the producers from themselves. Now we’re actually seeing what we want and getting to know people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Lmao if that isn't actually an idol she's cooking in there