Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mauser posted:

anybody got a recommendation for a firm, narrow saddle for a pretty forward leaning position?

Platystemon posted:

Powerful artificers are at work in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lex Neville posted:

Fietsenstalling :colbert:

We do long words too

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lignin fiber :smug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Since I started noticing other people with folding bikes I've seen a few Dahons and there's nothing about them that impresses me so far compared to Brompton.
they’re not supposed to be better, just more affordable

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Does this station not have one of those stands to hang your bicyle off while you repair it? Or did you hang your bag on the Fahrradreperaturständer?

Also, did some Fahrradservicestationsfahradstadtplandieb steal the Fahrradstadtplan from the Fahrradservicestation?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Powerful artificers are at work in Toronto.

The older I get, the more potential for severe injury this presents.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks for the glasses suggestions. I got a pair of blue/purple Rockbros that I wore this morning. My eyes feel great!

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I mostly road bike but have started biking on paths/gravel/grass with my 6-year-old son. Obviously, a road bike with clipless pedals isn't ideal for this, so I've been using my too-small mountain bike from when I was in middle school. I'd like to buy something a little more appropriate for this, and something that I can use for some of the local gravel/bike paths/cyclocross courses. What's a solid bike of this type that's sub $2000, ideally $1500 or less. Should I look for a cyclocross bike? A gravel bike? I'd like something with drop handle bars, a 1x groupset, and I'd toss some flat pedals on it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Well, after much jackassery (a weird my phone has learned, apparently!) with Schwinn's molasses-like customer service, we're getting a new battery for my wife's Mendocino. It's on back order, but they said it can be sent out in around a month. So, that saga is nearly behind us. And in the meantime, she has her new Verve, and the old Cypress is going away.

I'm getting a State 4130 All Road, which is more of a gravel bike, and I'm getting it with both the 650b and 700c tires. I'll probably have to upgrade the derailleur at some point, but I'm pretty excited.

Speaking of...

Hutzpah posted:

I mostly road bike but have started biking on paths/gravel/grass with my 6-year-old son. Obviously, a road bike with clipless pedals isn't ideal for this, so I've been using my too-small mountain bike from when I was in middle school. I'd like to buy something a little more appropriate for this, and something that I can use for some of the local gravel/bike paths/cyclocross courses. What's a solid bike of this type that's sub $2000, ideally $1500 or less. Should I look for a cyclocross bike? A gravel bike? I'd like something with drop handle bars, a 1x groupset, and I'd toss some flat pedals on it.

A lot of local people are running All Road road bikes for this kind of thing, even for cyclocross. The Contend AR is a popular choice, although it does have a 2× crank. It's 32c tires are pretty good for light gravel, but you can fit 38c tires on there for better results on rougher gravel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hutzpah posted:

How much tire do you have on the road bike? Not enough to just throw flat pedals on it?

I've been doing this (mostly on road/sidewalk) with a bike with a dropper and really responsive brakes. The dropper helps take away from the chore of constantly mounting/dismounting.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Hutzpah posted:

If you're doing it with your 6-year-old, you might be in a position to decide that being able to go fast doesn't really matter, and you can focus on comfort with (front) suspension, bigger tires, a more upright riding position? I got a Giant Talon a few years ago and it generally served me well, but the handlebars are frankly too wide both for comfort and for fitting through gaps.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hutzpah posted:

Legit cross bikes are all but extinct, and gravel bikes are better at everything but legit cross racing.
Your use case is so undemanding you could accomplish it with a set a gravel wheels and chill pedals, or anything from an endurance bike with a bit of clearance to a medium travel hardtail.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Put a setback post and some tall risers or BMX bars on your old mountain bike and turn it into a klunker/BigMX/cruiser thing for laid back rides with kid. Worry about getting something for going fast once you start having trouble keeping up

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think I may have overemphasized one of my use cases (riding with my son) and underemphasized my other use case (doing the local gravel roads/CX courses with buddies). I have a Giant Defy as my road bike and it's great. I have 32mm GP 5000s on it and I could probably get a second wheel set and something knobby and swap them as needed. But, I'm lazy and don't want to have to swap things all the time and I'd rather keep my road bike fairly clean and have something else that gets ridden in mud, rain, winter, and whatever.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm no expert, but I just recently rode a bunch of gravel bikes at various price points.

My local bike shop got a deal on some Felt Broam 60s that are usually $1300 down to $999. I was very impressed with it for the price. Even at $1300 it seemed like a very solid bike. I wouldn't recommend getting the 40 or the 30 though, I think they cut a few too many corners on the components (they're fine bikes for the price, but given that $1300 is well within your range, I think it's worth the extra money).

\/\/\/ Also a good choice

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 12, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Canyon Grizl 7 1by maybe? $1800ish?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I agree with this recommendation. Unless there's a specific need (e.g. faster or burlier), this is one of the best all-around options at the price. Grail AL (especially the $2k AXS XPLR build) was another, but it's disappeared from Canyon's site.

If you're amenable to used then things open up around $1500. Any couple years old aluminum framed build with Rival/105 or better is gonna be pretty good. A buddy picked up a 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 with full 105 for $1800 and that was in '21 when prices were crazy!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 12, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VictualSquid posted:

Does this station not have one of those stands to hang your bicyle off while you repair it? Or did you hang your bag on the Fahrradreperaturständer?

Also, did some Fahrradservicestationsfahradstadtplandieb steal the Fahrradstadtplan from the Fahrradservicestation?

It’s not my photograph. I think that users are expected to hang the top tube of the bike on the pegs on the right, which isn’t a great design because on many bikes that pinches cables. That negates half the reason to use a repair stand. It also necessitates removing frame bags, but maybe that’s a problem for fewer commuters than I’m imagining.

I have a particular dislike for main alternative on these sorts of things, hanging the bike from the saddle, because I broke a saddle doing that. It would not be a problem for that lumber saddle that I posted earlier though. :v:

(also not me)

Just flip the bike over and rest it on the saddle and handlebars I guess because clamps are too fragile for public places. :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If you're open to steel there's a few jamis renegade options in that budget

Just hit 8k miles on my renegade

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

...sorry

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

...sorry

That show ruled, I'm not even mad that I now have the theme song playing in my head.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Griddle of Love posted:

I got a Giant Talon a few years ago and it generally served me well, but the handlebars are frankly too wide both for comfort and for fitting through gaps.

Watching my partner trying to get his Talon 1 through the front door and around the corner is always fun. It's just too wide.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

this is such a big fahrradservicestation it's stressing me out. in austria we have these little things:

my dad is an angel and is helping me to get a new road bike. i want to uglify it: how can i do this without tape? will paint not weigh it down for races?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
You'd really have to go nuts with paint to add significant weight to the bike. We're talking about an absurd number of layers here.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Looks like Canyon dropped the new Grail. Seeing a bunch of vids on youtube.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-bikes/performance/grail-generation-2/#section-product-grid

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 12, 2023

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Ugh, my local Brompton shop is having 20% any in-stock model tomorrow so I could get a 6 speed C line for $1,350, BUT I just found out that next year's models have 12 speeds and come in a nice navy blue. I hate bike decisions. https://www.reddit.com/r/Brompton/comments/14gtvza/new_colours_and_new_gearing/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

kind of looking at a space horse since all city is going out of business and I always like them. I wanted something bigger and longer than my kona rove 54, I'm looking at the 58 spacehorse but it has the exact same reach as my 54 rove

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

kind of looking at a space horse since all city is going out of business and I always like them. I wanted something bigger and longer than my kona rove 54, I'm looking at the 58 spacehorse but it has the exact same reach as my 54 rove

If you have a ton of spacers on the Kona and the stack is higher on the spacehorse you should have the stem effectively further away on the space horse at the same height since adding spacers moves the stem up and closer to you.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

A MIRACLE posted:

How tall are you?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ilkhan posted:

Looks like Canyon dropped the new Grail. Seeing a bunch of vids on youtube.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-bikes/performance/grail-generation-2/#section-product-grid

That force build may be my gravel bike next spring. How much of a pita are canyon PF BBs?

-Cannondale Bb30 survivor

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wooger posted:

How tall are you?

6’

I’ve had 54, 56 and 58 bikes

I’ve got a decent amount of saddle offset and I put a bigger stem on the Kona. And yeah it’s got all the spacers right now

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

That's a drat nice bike. Too bad they seem to be replacing them with a more expensive model. They either have a front suspension or are available in just XL/2XL. I'll keep an eye out though.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I'm not very familiar with modern Salsa but they've got the Journeyer from $899 and up based on the level of specs and you might be able to find them in a local shop to check out

You should still convert your old mountain bike even if you get something else because weird off-road cruiser things are fun as poo poo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In ancient times, Chinese martial arts were used for fighting. They were effective. Over time, through secrecy and intentional self-mythologizing, what actually worked got encoded into forms that, when practiced on their own, became ineffective for training people how to fight. They practiced empty movements. The masters became legendary, but their techniques became obfuscated.
In modern times, some have endeavored to reanalyze and rehabilitate the techniques behind the forms.

For a long time, people had forgotten what the Ritchey Bullmoose handlebar was for. It was revered but not understood.
I have rediscovered its true purpose:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
As tempting as those prices are I think I will go with some sort of all road titanium bike, maybe a custom sized frame to better deal with my height

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure how often they haver frankenbells available, but seems like they're available right now:

https://www.spurcycle.com/products/factory-seconds

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
woke up this morning and my dad had left me a note with a road bike that was on sale and the exact cash i'd need for it. went to the store, tried the bike, it felt very uncomfortable, got very sad and started walking around until i stumbled across a local bike shop. went in, and what do you know - they'd just refurbished a bike that was the exact same model as my stolen one, except with way, WAY less scuffed brakes!

i've ordered a bunch of dumb stickers to make it less appealing to thieves, so if you see some dude riding about with a bike that has a 'if you honk at me i'll kill myself' sticker on it, honk so i know i've been recognised

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i've ordered a bunch of dumb stickers to make it less appealing to thieves, so if you see some dude riding about with a bike that has a 'if you honk at me i'll kill myself' sticker on it, honk so i know i've been recognised

This feels like a trap.

Glad you got a new bike!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think if you're riding a 54 Kona a 56 all city would be a better choice. My 58 super professional fits well, if not a little on the big side, and I'm 6'1, and have a 56 major jake. Not a ton of seat post showing on the all city and my bb to saddle height is like 800-805mm depending on the saddle, cranks, pedals etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

w4ddl3d33 posted:

woke up this morning and my dad had left me a note with a road bike that was on sale and the exact cash i'd need for it. went to the store, tried the bike, it felt very uncomfortable, got very sad and started walking around until i stumbled across a local bike shop. went in, and what do you know - they'd just refurbished a bike that was the exact same model as my stolen one, except with way, WAY less scuffed brakes!

Make sure to pick up a heavy duty U-Lock like a NYL Kryptonite or an OnGuard Pitbull too! Or a beefy chain like the NYL Kryptonite Evolution. As much as it sucks to carry around, any folding lock, really cheap locks, lightweight lock, cable rope, thin chain, etc. is practically nothing to bike thieves these days, all they do is deter more honest or nervous people from being tempted. Heck, even the heavy duty U-locks can be cut by a grinder in like 45 seconds to a few minutes tops. Even the angle grinder resistant ones like the Hiplok D1000 can be cut in like less than half an hour, if they're really motivated. All you can do is buy the biggest, hardest to cut through or leverage-attack lock you can afford so that your bike is harder to get to than the bike next to it on the bike rack, and make sure the object you're securing the lock to is as difficult or harder to cut through/defeat. It's not convenient, but it's better than having a valued bike stolen... :smith:

https://youtu.be/aBxyaFf379g?si=ZJKFqhZi_Iy59Kt5

Also, make sure your bike is registered with your local-law-enforcement's endorsed bike registry. I know lots of people who have had bikes returned months later(one was even like 2 years later). I know it doesn't help the bike that's gone, but these things really do help.