Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

marshmallow creep posted:

There is at least one warlock goblin with a lash that can pull you into the spider pit, which was an alarming discovery for my rogue in my first playthrough.

You can also lockpick the door/featherfall down into the pit and speak with animals to convince the spiders to eat the goblins and they'll take care of that first open room basically on their own. It's quite fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh yeah, when my rogue landed in the pit, he landed specifically on the stairs and could unlock the door as soon as he stood up then bonus action dash out. The goblins prioritize the spiders over your party if the spiders get loose.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I mean, how far did you go with the priestess? Did you meet Korilla?

The Goblin Camp/Druid Grove drama ultimately ends with you siding with one or the other or none (you can just leave and move to the next act entirely by going through the mountains or the Underdark).

You can send Minthara on a raid to get her out of the camp, and then use barrels or murder to thin the numbers before fighting the hob. You don't have to do an all out brawl if you aren't caught, even if you explode the hobgoblin with TNT.

I lured the priestess away with talk of trying to figure out the tadpole thing, exhausted the dialog options there, and... had no other options but to sucker-punch her. From what I've heard from talking to friends, I may have hit a bug here.

'It turns out you can just rig the entire hideout to blow with exploding barrels' is actually the very thing I don't want. I want to try to respect the game as it's presenting itself if at all possible, and I tend not to try things that don't look like they should work, so I'm not a big fan of gaming the systems to score those sorts of wins; it just leads to that same feeling that I was complaining about in the first place, where it doesn't feel like the game recognizes what I'm doing.

EDIT: Incidentally, I don't like the use of 'tadpole' for the parasite. I thought at first it was a kinda jokey, low-grade way to describe it given none of the core group is all that learned on the subject, and didn't really like it but sort of accepted it... but no, that's apparently what they're actually called and I don't know how the writers expect me to take tadpoles seriously.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Oct 12, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That approach is exactly the opposite philosophy to the way Larian designs games. They’re very much aware that you’re playing a video game and actively encourage you to exploit the systems as much as possible. Half the fun is finding all the crazy ways you can overcome encounters by using ridiculous interactions between items, spells, and the environments.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

That approach is exactly the opposite philosophy to the way Larian designs games. They’re very much aware that you’re playing a video game and actively encourage you to exploit the systems as much as possible. Half the fun is finding all the crazy ways you can overcome encounters by using ridiculous interactions between items, spells, and the environments.

In divinity 2 the best way to steal from people is to enter conversation with them with one character, then have your best thief start pickpocketing them from behind while they're locked in dialogue, giving you all the time you want to look through their pockets and choose what to take. they won't enter their "realizing they've been robbed and searching for the thief" state until you end the conversation, at which point your thief will be long gone and your distraction character can comically hustle away before they notice. Works every time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, I'm not really all that into that. It's kinda hard to describe why I'm not, but I think it mostly stems from the fact I want to work with the game, not against it, and usually this sort of stuff is the latter. I can't get into the mindset of doing that without some sort of nod from the game that it wants to play in this space.

Usually situational dialog is a good way to do that, so the fact it didn't even have a way to recognize and acknowledge 'get the priestess alone and then backstab her' really discouraged me from trying to get much more clever than that. And I haven't yet started hating the game enough that I'm doing it out of spite, like what a lot of Bethesda games devolve into for me.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I've read your latest set of three posts multiple times and do not understand what your complaint is. You wanted to get the priest alone to ambush her, and then when you had, the game gave you a dialogue option to sucker punch her? It sounds like they accounted for it well enough. Did you want them to let you pull out your weapon and use it with a dialogue option? There's a button on every single conversation in the game to enter fight mode at any point in time, if you needed it. Did you want to have your character say "haha I tricked you prepare to die," or something instead? I guess that's unaccounted for but that's also kind of a weird choice to want.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Red Minjo posted:

You wanted to get the priest alone to ambush her, and then when you had, the game gave you a dialogue option to sucker punch her?

There was not a dialog option to sucker-punch her. I had to do that myself by having Karlach smack her with an axe, which initiated the same default 'you picked a fight, now deal with it' handling as if you did that against anyone else.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Shame Boy posted:

You can also lockpick the door/featherfall down into the pit and speak with animals to convince the spiders to eat the goblins and they'll take care of that first open room basically on their own. It's quite fun!

I did that and one of them actually survived the following fight with Ragzlin. It ran in and out of blindspots and picked off the weak stragglers like a horror movie.

Also, you can cast Crown of Madness on someone to make their allies kill them for you. Even if they survive, it'll thin the numbers and nobody will be aggro on you.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Cleretic posted:

There was not a dialog option to sucker-punch her. I had to do that myself by having Karlach smack her with an axe, which initiated the same default 'you picked a fight, now deal with it' handling as if you did that against anyone else.

Ahh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

A fun interaction for this bit is the silence spell creates a dome of silence. So if you hit her and she goes hostile, she can't call for any help.

But yeah, there is supposed to be a scene where elyou go along with her and she drugs you, throwing you in a special cell. You can escape into the spider cave or a dwarf working for Raphael can come save you.. It does sound likes you got bugged out of an interaction.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

There is at least one warlock goblin with a lash that can pull you into the spider pit, which was an alarming discovery for my rogue in my first playthrough.

I snuck some barrels up to the rafters, and dropped a few on Raxlin, the explosions actually knocked him into the spiders along with another goblin. They focused on the spiders, and a bunch of his allies circling the pit trying to help. A few of them got thrown into it. Then were set on fire.

All things considered, I felt it went well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

That approach is exactly the opposite philosophy to the way Larian designs games.
Also the opposite of what people expect from D&D so it's an uphill battle on two fronts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also the opposite of what people expect from D&D so it's an uphill battle on two fronts.

I mean, every GM I've ever met or played with in any game would be better at recognizing and working with the players setting up assassination attempts than BG3 has been for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think if you really "want to work with the game" then you should take everyone's advice and experiences from the last page about all the fun ways you can do just that one encounter and not get hung up on there being a dialogue option for literally every possible action you can take. BG3 very much encourages you to think about the game mechanically as well as narratively and you'll have a much more fun time finding all the unique and creative methods you can use to resolve quests and overcome challenges, even if Priestess Gut does not say "wow you boys sure tricked me" before she dies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Just throw every enemy off a cliff

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Cleretic just wants the opportunity to gloat. What a sicko!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

No but really Cleretic should get in the Games thread, there's this guy called Taear and I think they'd get along

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

No but really Cleretic should get in the Games thread, there's this guy called Taear and I think they'd get along

Cleretic is totally correct

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I mean, every GM I've ever met or played with in any game would be better at recognizing and working with the players setting up assassination attempts than BG3 has been for me.

I think if you are wanting a videogame to be as flexible and reactive as a human GM you are going to be perpetually disappointed in every videogame RPG tbf. And even a human GM might need to occasionally go "You want to do WHAT? gently caress... Alright, gimme a second here while I sort some stuff out" while they try and work out what a players unexpected action means for the adventure they had planned.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One of my favourite "use the world's mechanics in the game" solutions I found was when you have to get a backpack to a guy so that he can use a scroll in it to teleport away from the explosive mushroom patch that he's in. You can teleport to the guy, sneak past the mushrooms, just chuck a scroll of misty step to him, or do what I did and use mage hand to remotely move the backpack to him without stepping foot in the patch at all. It felt very much like a little puzzle that I'd see in an actual D&D session with friends.

Edit: Wrong thread I guess but it's an example of how the game doesn't have you explicitly choose from a list of possible solutions with [SKILLNAME] next to each of them to see if you pass or fail.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
One of the chipsets in prey gives you a bit of health if you sneak attack an enemy,it’s called the V-amp.

Get it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man is it great when puns like that appear in achievement titles, item names, you name it. I had a feeling it was multi-layered and went to check and sure enough, Dishonored's bone charm for stealing health on sword attacks is called "Leech Cuts".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There was an attachment for a minigun in Planetside 2 where the acronym comes out to BRRT. Supposedly they originally wanted to name it the "Fast Action Reload Trigger"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Morpheus posted:

One of my favourite "use the world's mechanics in the game" solutions I found was when you have to get a backpack to a guy so that he can use a scroll in it to teleport away from the explosive mushroom patch that he's in. You can teleport to the guy, sneak past the mushrooms, just chuck a scroll of misty step to him, or do what I did and use mage hand to remotely move the backpack to him without stepping foot in the patch at all. It felt very much like a little puzzle that I'd see in an actual D&D session with friends.

Edit: Wrong thread I guess but it's an example of how the game doesn't have you explicitly choose from a list of possible solutions with [SKILLNAME] next to each of them to see if you pass or fail.

If you're really lucky, you can set it all on fire and he'll make all his saves when he runs out. But that destroys any harvestable shrooms in the area.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

moosecow333 posted:

I’m still mad that you had to have such a complicated setup in order to play that game multiplayer. I only managed it once and it was a ton of fun but getting four people together with game boys and the required cable was impossible.

To really twist the knife they remade the game a while back but made such terrible design decisions that not a single one of my friends would pick it up.
My brother pulled off the full 4 player experience a few times and said it was absolutely magical. You'd have all the characters running around together doing stuff on the TV while each person managed their menus on the GBA screens.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So since i wrote about Prey the other day i’ve been playing the Mooncrash DLC.

Things dragging down it down : it’s better than the main game in practically every way,also i hate moonsharks.

I still need to check it out. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard Mooncrash rated higher than the base game.

RareAcumen posted:

So should I be turning off V-Sync or no?

I kinda despise v-sync because while its actual purpose hasn't really changed over the years, you basically have to make that call on a game by game basis, and potentially for reasons beyond just "this game screen tears like crazy".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing through the remastered Crash Bandicoot platformer trilogy again, and I always forget how frustrated I get at the stages where you're running towards the camera. They never feel well thought-out, it seems like the camera's constantly too close in to see ahead of you, and the general control jankiness seems magnified by constantly holding the control stick in an awkward direction.

And of course it's compounded this time by discovering that my left joycon is finicky about maintaining the down direction constantly for long periods of time, so half the time I'll just die because Crash randomly stops in his tracks and stands there like an idiot while a giant boulder runs over him :suicide:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zero_Grade posted:

My brother pulled off the full 4 player experience a few times and said it was absolutely magical. You'd have all the characters running around together doing stuff on the TV while each person managed their menus on the GBA screens.

We did it a few times where one controller was a GameCube with Gameboy player. It was a real good time. I've still got that save kicking around except the people I played with are long scattered

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Prey 2017 is one of my favorite games of all time :shrug:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John Murdoch posted:

I still need to check it out. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard Mooncrash rated higher than the base game.

It's really solid! The moon station feels less sprawling than Talos Station, and the different characters' skillsets means you can't do everything. It's more focused than Prey imo.

Prey is a very good game, I just got vertigo about all the things I could do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mooncrash is just a lot tighter and more focused, which helps a lot. The semi-rougelike thing was neat, too

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't played Baldur's Gate 3 but it's weird reading people post that it's a bad thing that players can invent unconventional and unforeseen ways of blowing up a campaign by being weird and breaking the game. Sounds like D&D to me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

I just walked in, took the mushroom and the scroll, then watched as that man died gasping in a field of poison.

Then I threw his corpse at his wife.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Morpheus posted:

You can also get your highest STR character to throw a bottle of water onto the torch near the guy - the shrooms might explode, but they can't ignite on their own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I just walked in, took the mushroom and the scroll, then watched as that man died gasping in a field of poison.

Then I threw his corpse at his wife.

She would probably thank you for your service.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been pushing on in the first Crash Bandicoot game, and I think I'm just over it halfway through the final area. There's just so much bad design, 2/3 of the levels are just slogs that feel like they're specifically designed to bring out the worst of the fiddly controls and weird camera perspective. I don't remember the last time I played a major platformer that felt so poorly thought out.

Honestly, I don't even really remember any of these levels after the first few, I think 99% of my memories must be from skipping ahead to 2 & 3. I went ahead to the first few levels in 2, and there is some of the omnipresent Crash jankiness, but it definitely feels like a pretty big step forward from the first one.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been pushing on in the first Crash Bandicoot game, and I think I'm just over it halfway through the final area. There's just so much bad design, 2/3 of the levels are just slogs that feel like they're specifically designed to bring out the worst of the fiddly controls and weird camera perspective. I don't remember the last time I played a major platformer that felt so poorly thought out.

Honestly, I don't even really remember any of these levels after the first few, I think 99% of my memories must be from skipping ahead to 2 & 3. I went ahead to the first few levels in 2, and there is some of the omnipresent Crash jankiness, but it definitely feels like a pretty big step forward from the first one.
I reached the final boss in Crash 1 and haven't gotten the motivation yet to grind through it, but the way there was...rocky to say the least as well. Those loving bridge levels, man. The game is extremely particular about you doing the correct sequence of actions with a precision that's just barely possible in the engine.

I had a fun moment with it when I first picked up the trilogy remake, because I played some Crash on public gaming stations as a kid and always sucked insanely at it, and thought "oh, must be because I was a dumb kid bad at platformers". Nope! The game is just legitimately a loving dick!

Did feel good getting better at it, admittedly. They really should have removed the idiotic extra lives system, though. Them not respawning after you got them once is absurd, and that you can start with a high amount, finally finish a stage and then go "oh but now if I save I have a low amount again..." is bizarre.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Those loving bridge levels, man

That's where I gave up. A harder version of the previous contender for worst thing in the game? No thanks.

I would've pushed through if the continue system was better than giving you an extra shield or two, but between that and the stingy lives I just got sick of going back to the start every minute or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2 is a massive step up in every way. 3 is also good but goes in hard on gimmicks, but the relics make rerunning levels to get a faster time really fun