Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCIzc-rlINo

"Since no one else in this room can see you, god knows how that looked."

:allears:

It’s truly a testament to Doctor Who that River can have three effective farewell scenes that not only don’t contradict each other, but actually complement each other. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know people hate her, but she's my absolute favorite character in the canon.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Husbands of river song is my 2nd favourite Christmas special. She's so good in that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Absolutely criminal we got Jack instead of River interacting with Thirteen

I want cute BTS pictures of Jodie and Alex being adorable together, dammit :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Confusedslight posted:

Husbands of river song is my 2nd favourite Christmas special. She's so good in that.

Sometimes she comes close to smarm, but the moment when you can see River realise who she’s been standing next to this entire time is such a good one. She actually sees him for the first time, and her mind is reeling.

https://youtu.be/BgVJDd5vHfw?si=BUNmMcMdIR4eh-Be

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCIzc-rlINo

"Since no one else in this room can see you, god knows how that looked."

:allears:

Rewatching this, and during my rewatch of the revival, I'm not sure if I'm more excited for Ncuti as the Doctor or the return of Murray Gold

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Rewatching this, and during my rewatch of the revival, I'm not sure if I'm more excited for Ncuti as the Doctor or the return of Murray Gold
I was so displeased when Gold left. Then Thirteen's theme absolutely slapped and I couldn't wait to hear it every time she did something clever in the climax of episodes, but they pretty much never did that and none of the rest of the music matched its bombast or gravity.

I can't wait for more Murray Gold. I'm just as excited for his Fifteenth theme as I am Fifteen himself.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
One of the best things about River is that she has an ending. It adds so much to the character.

I've heard Once and Future has disapointed a lot of people, so I'm glad I didn't pre-order it, like I considered. It's a great idea, but seems like a vaguely connected episodic stories based on what actors were around at various points to record, rather than a cohesive story.

Like, Zagreus is strange, but Zagreus knows what story it wants to tell. The Light at the End is a great, if straight forward story where everyone gets to have a moment to shine, and The Legacy of Time is a well connected series of stories, so they can do it, but it sounds like Once and Future needed more editoral oversight.

Wild guess, but there's a weird hanging plot thread at The Legacy of Time where River doesn't erase Eight's memory of their encounter, and tells Benny he'll need that memory later, so maybe that'll tie in. Aside from the ending of Dark Universe, and exit stories for the audio original companions who don't have them, that's one of the biggest hanging plot threads from the pre-boxset era.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The_Doctor posted:

Sometimes she comes close to smarm, but the moment when you can see River realise who she’s been standing next to this entire time is such a good one. She actually sees him for the first time, and her mind is reeling.

:o:: "You are so doing those roots."
:v:: "What, the 'roots of the sunset'?"
:mad:: "Don't you dare!"
:smug:: "I'll have to check with 'the stars themselves'."

And then there's the Last Night on Darillium which a) deserved to be on TV and b) is just the exact sort of ending you need on Christmas Day. :kimchi:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OldMemes posted:

One of the best things about River is that she has an ending. It adds so much to the character.
I don't disagree. Every time I bring this up I try to mention that what I want is something they almost certainly shouldn't do.

I just miss her terribly. I'd love to see Jenny and Susan too, but I don't know if those ideas are things they should do either.

Plus if they were gonna' do Susan, it should've been for Twelve.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The problem with Susan is if you brought her back on TV, you'd have certain issues to deal with - her nature is mysterious and vague on purpose (can she regenerate? How do Time Lords age in each incarnation?).

The audios with Eight trying to patch up thier relationship before losing her to the Time War was enough closure for the character. She should remain a background bit of the Doctor's character. Little things, like Eleven remembering he once came to a planet with her, or Seven admitting he thinks about her everyday are better bits of character buliding.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wouldn't mind hearing "hello sweetie" said to the new doctor. Actually probably could've worked with 13 once they were set on trying to do romance between Doctor and young human passenger again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

I've heard Once and Future has disapointed a lot of people, so I'm glad I didn't pre-order it, like I considered. It's a great idea, but seems like a vaguely connected episodic stories based on what actors were around at various points to record, rather than a cohesive story.

Like, Zagreus is strange, but Zagreus knows what story it wants to tell. The Light at the End is a great, if straight forward story where everyone gets to have a moment to shine, and The Legacy of Time is a well connected series of stories, so they can do it, but it sounds like Once and Future needed more editoral oversight.

Wild guess, but there's a weird hanging plot thread at The Legacy of Time where River doesn't erase Eight's memory of their encounter, and tells Benny he'll need that memory later, so maybe that'll tie in. Aside from the ending of Dark Universe, and exit stories for the audio original companions who don't have them, that's one of the biggest hanging plot threads from the pre-boxset era.

The funny thing "The Light at the End" wasn't going to happen; it only came about when Tom asked during a recording "So when I am recording the 50th with the other Doctors?" Since he had declined doing the "The Five Doctors", BF figured he wouldn't want to do anything with the other Doctors on audio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

12's "Hello sweetie" is incredible but I also love the savage satisfaction in River's voice when she tells the guy who thought he had her trapped,"I'm an archeologist from the future... I dug you up." :hellyeah:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gods, I just love her so much. :allears:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Capaldi is so good: you see him distressed listening to River and then when she’s at risk of exposing him he pivots very quickly from “don’t tell them to scan” to “I love you.” The shock for River isn’t just that he’s there, it’s how much else she was wrong about along with that.

And their exchange of “I hate you”… “No, you don’t” at the end is so obviously saying something else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's up w Donna's beetle? I mean, I've seen the arc before and am getting to it again, but what I mean is, why a beetle?

Doctor Donna best Doctor.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking forward to those specials, that'll be special. Yes indeed. And that's cool to hear the composer is coming back too.

I haven't rewatched the show, and fell off a couple seasons back, so it'll be interesting and fun to jump back in. The explanations and jargon often felt made up on the fly, but any references to classic tidbits I forgot will definitely be over my head this time. But I'm sure they're hoping for plenty of returning and new viewers.

In general, even if it's really complex and a lot of people don't remember it, it's nice when a long series tries to keep some continuity going anyway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RTD Says None of the 60th Anniversary Specials Will Air on November 23

quote:

Davies promises a flurry of “Who-ness” content for “years and years”. He adds: “If content is king, then we’ve got a right royal regal procession coming your way, so stand back!”

There’s a mention of the new TARDIS interior, and a particularly chilling scene with a character named Sue.

Two celebrity historical figures will be making an appearance in the specials.

He emphasizes “the sheer goddamn mystery of Special 2”.

Davies playfully confirms a crossover between Doctor Who and his earlier ITV drama Nolly, which was coined as being part of the “RTD Universe.”

New behind-the-scenes show, Doctor Who Unleashed will “be popping up unexpectedly, briefly, well BEFORE [the first special] The Star Beast is shown”

Davies reveals his conditions for returning: “I told them I wanted to (1) make Doctor Who, (2) annually, (3) create massive Behind the Scenes coverage, (4) not telling you that yet, (5) nor that, and (6) have the back catalogue of Doctor Who ready and available”.

Davies said he wondered back in July, “have we done enough” for the 60th, then he came up with a new idea “that will make you FIZZ!”. It has three scriptwriters behind it and was filmed in a studio during the second half of September.

Production is in full swing on Series 15. Like Series 14, it will have 8 regular episodes and one Christmas special. Five of the next nine scripts for the upcoming series are already in the bag.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Annually."

Please God, I only ask for a ridiculous amount, so give me this too in addition to all that other stuff :pray:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Good to see the detail of a "Christmas special" there too, hopefully back in the big primetime Christmas Day BBC1 slot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The back catalogue being on iPlayer is enormous, for uk viewers at least

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

quote:

Production is in full swing on Series 15. Like Series 14, it will have 8 regular episodes and one Christmas special.

Booooo I thought 14 was only getting 8 because of the specials.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Well just remember that it's 9 episodes of Doctor Who, 9 episodes of Unleashed and eventually (2025, maybe late 2024 for one of them) two spin-off series that are bound to feature the Doctor at least once each, so that's still way more content that Doctor Who has been getting for nearly a decade now, and most shows never get.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Annually!? ANNUALLY!?

The_Doctor posted:

This is what I heard (in this thread?) but tbh I wasn't persuaded. Eight seems like the ugly baseline we're getting these days.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I’ll gladly take 8 episodes + 1 special if they actually come out every year. The show hasn’t been that consistent since before I started watching, over a decade ago.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm hoping they also do a follow up to The Writers Tale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm hoping they also do a follow up to The Writers Tale.

They already put out a sneak peek video of RTD working on scripts:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why the big emphasis on behind the scenes coverage?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Transparency? The Chibnall era was very closed doors.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Why the big emphasis on behind the scenes coverage?

It's a great way to build hype and connection for a franchise for very little cost, and RTD says he's met a lot of people who are now in the industry who say Doctor Who Confidential giving them an idea of how BTS worked inspired them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah cool. Just never saw any before, so it seemed like the odd point out but that makes sense and it's good to inspire people to make more stuff I like.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

PriorMarcus posted:

RTD says he's met a lot of people who are now in the industry who say Doctor Who Confidential giving them an idea of how BTS worked inspired them.

It's well-timed too, what with the US writers' strikes being heavily driven by the need to return to getting them involved in productions, writers' rooms, etc., and away from the (lovely, exploitative) model defined by the streaming companies. I'm sure RTD has his eye on the ball in using BTS to make sure that the labour-friendly model stays appealing, and remains entrenched in the UK (and internationally).

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It seems like a nice way to spotlight the work of the huge amount of (incredibly skilled, no matter what role) work that goes in to tv/film production. RTD seems like a real “don’t pull the ladder up behind you” kind of guy.

It’s an almost an anachronism these days. The decision to do Confidential back in the mid 00s was in the heyday of DVDs having some sort of BTS short as table stakes. One of the many things that streaming took from us. I’m very glad RTD was able to get it commissioned.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Calling the first episode The Star Beast is making a couple of sci fi connections, I wonder if RTD is going to lean into those or if he just thought it sounded cool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Calling the first episode The Star Beast is making a couple of sci fi connections, I wonder if RTD is going to lean into those or if he just thought it sounded cool.

It's just the name of the Pat Mills comic he's adapting, isn't it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

It’s either a remake of or sequel to a classic 4th Doctor comic adventure (which has also been made into a BF audio).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

Speaking of, they've just released the new theme:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1712528794630717704?t=MgBi6HtdV9c1FtR61E1iXg&s=19

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apart from the prominent piano, that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Personally I'd like there to be a bit more synth in the mix, but that rules.

e: Love how prominent the choral elements are, I inherited a love of Welsh Choirs from my father

Matinee fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 12, 2023