Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Get a used G29, if you enjoy the wheel life it’s a great starter wheel. If you don’t, you’re probably going to be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
For something like the g29 a basic wheelstand works great. I used a wheelstand pro for years with my g27. Now I use a NLR 2.0 stand with my CSL DD and it is fantastic for that. Zero flex or wobble and while it is on the heavier side, it is possible to fold it up if needed. So if you do end up going for something fancier and still want to fold it up, then that is the one to get I reckon. But I don't think anything more powerful than a CSL DD is really suitable with a stand.

But yeah if you have no PC plans then I don't think you can go wrong with a g29 or similar, especially if you can find one used. Load cell pedals added a LOT of fun for me but not a necessity in that sense.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
do these recs also hold for a pc person? who craves a shifter and clutch pedal?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Next Level Racing and GT Omega Apex wheelstands also hold for PC people. Both can be expanded to a full simpit setup down the line if you want.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm pretty sure the g29 has a clutch pedal and either includes or has an add-on for an h-pattern shifter. I really think a used g29 is a great starter point for gear and then if you really like it the fanatec DD bundle is real cheap these days.

The playseat type of setup might be nice if you're never gonna go beyond a g29, but I'm happy with my gt omega wheelstand I added the seat frame and an nrg bucket seat to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

G29 has a clutch and you can buy the Logitech shifter for it or with it on a bundle but it's not needed.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Banging this drum again, the Truebrake mod for the G29/920/923 brake pedal kicks that whole setup up another notch.

The G29+mod gets you up to $340 or so, which is approaching an entry level DD bundle, but I don't think those bundles come with a brake pedal that works that well

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Many thanks everyone for the excellent guidance, it's super helpful!

TheScott2K posted:

Banging this drum again, the Truebrake mod for the G29/920/923 brake pedal kicks that whole setup up another notch.

The G29+mod gets you up to $340 or so, which is approaching an entry level DD bundle, but I don't think those bundles come with a brake pedal that works that well

Does Logitech offer a set of load cell pedals to put with a G29/923?

Is the "trueforce" thing on the 923 any good?

What's considered an entry level DD bundle for a PS4?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think the only logitech load cell option for the g29 would be that truebrake mod. I think thrustmaster has a LC option thats console compatible?

No idea about trueforce.

I'd guess you're looking at a fanatec DD bundle for cheapest DD wheel thats console compatible, the moza r3 and r5 look like PC or PC/xbox only?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Welp just ordered a sale price G29 and shifter. And a Playset Challenge X. Y'all did a great job pushing me over the edge.

I'm sure I'll also get the brake mod but this is enough for now lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

amenenema posted:

Welp just ordered a sale price G29 and shifter. And a Playset Challenge X. Y'all did a great job pushing me over the edge.

I'm sure I'll also get the brake mod but this is enough for now lol

Welcome to sim racing, here's a complementary pit to start throwing money into.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

njsykora posted:

Welcome to sim racing, here's a complementary pit to start throwing money into.

The PS4 was free from my BiL so all I'm into it for is the above plus a copy of GT7.

I am completely confident it will stay that way.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

amenenema posted:

I am completely confident it will stay that way.
Let's revisit this post in a year. :D
Welcome to sim racing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

PC Sim Racing: How much money do you have available to spend on this? Like, more or less than $15,000?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hahahaha it starts

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GhostDog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nICW6VlLPvk

Not trying to get my hopes up too much, but this looks like it could be good? It certainly looks way more simmy than I would have expected.

Looks and sounds good based on all the YTers allowed to have their hands on an early build with blackout period ending a couple days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLIowx3J_gU

Highlights seem to be (watching a lot more than just Jimmy's vid):
- Basically Dirt Rally 3.0
- They fixed tarmac
- Now have proper 25-35km stages, double the length of "long" ones in Dirt Rally
- Official WRC license = full WRC calendar + modern machinery + much better career mode (more team management-like stuff that KT's WRC titles had, but haven't seen a video going fully into how it works)

Only downer so far to it being "Dirt Rally 2.0 but better" is that VR support isn't coming till sometime after launch.

Also, the car builder sounds neat in theory, but at face value it looks like there's few decisions to be made and more money = better part (outside cosmetic stuff) with no risk/reward of the parts having a performance vs. reliability scale at the lower end so you have a meaningful choice to make prior to being moneybags to get both.

Lastly, the lack of "2023" branding has me hopeful they'll do more of a long term support model--with everyone getting free physics upgrades and whatnot and maybe having season pass to add a new real world long stage for every rally and some new classic cars each year or something. It does seem extremely un-EA-like to not do annual titles though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol the thread title :kiss:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
looks like fanatec waited until they released qr2 to release their midrange competition: clubsport DD iteration (nov 7th), 12nm linear, and a later DD+ with 15nm linear (PS branded). muh dd1..

lol 16khz refresh, lets get these things to 48khz and listen to spotify directly through your hands as you drive

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 15, 2023

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

bUm posted:

- Basically Dirt Rally 3.0

Pretty excited about this! It's a good sign that jimmy is happy with it, though he said a few times it's definitely not a hardcore sim and that there is a bit too much grip occasionally.

The stage degradation stuff looks way more intense, you can see the car being thrown around if it moves out of the existing ruts. I remember they had that in DR2 but I never really felt it made a difference...

Agree that the car builder thing seems dumb, like they tried to include car modding features from something like NFS, which seems like an odd inclusion for a rally game.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Homeless Friend posted:

lol 16khz refresh, lets get these things to 48khz and listen to spotify directly through your hands as you drive

lmao

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

so we feeling good about WRC? I just hopped back into Dirt Rally 2.0 when I learned about it, so the timing is impeccable.
edit: is the barn that's famous for getting crashed into or am I getting too deep into rally crash compilations

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 18, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
From all I've seen it's "more Dirt Rally", which is fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is it out yet? What # is it now? Always hard to look this stuff up when there's been a bunch of games with the same name.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Out November 3. It's kinda hard to put a number on it now.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

0400 UTC on October 31 if you preorder, and it's Dirt Rally 3 in all but name and it's gonna own

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

VelociBacon posted:

Is it out yet? What # is it now? Always hard to look this stuff up when there's been a bunch of games with the same name.

It doesn’t have a number it’s just EA WRC.

It’s out in November I think

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Others already covered most of it but: first one with Codemasters (under EA) having the official WRC license--different company had the official rights for like a decade prior. Lineage-wise, it's Dirt Rally 3.0 where Dirt Rally came out in like 2015 and Dirt Rally 2.0 in 2019.

Sounds like we might have enough goons interested in it to get a league going with weekly rallies or something--assuming like Dirt Rally 2.0 it's async and you can hop in an run it at any point during the week.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR support?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

"Later"

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

bUm posted:

Others already covered most of it but: first one with Codemasters (under EA) having the official WRC license--different company had the official rights for like a decade prior. Lineage-wise, it's Dirt Rally 3.0 where Dirt Rally came out in like 2015 and Dirt Rally 2.0 in 2019.

Sounds like we might have enough goons interested in it to get a league going with weekly rallies or something--assuming like Dirt Rally 2.0 it's async and you can hop in an run it at any point during the week.

I'll have to find my old round rim but if y'all do this I might pick it up and learn how to rally

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess maybe I’ll buy it later then :colbert:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Fair enough! Wish I had a VR set myself!

On another note, anyone have some solid wheel settings (G27) for Dirt Rally 2.0? Not too long until I'm moving on to 3.0 obviously, but I wanna have the best time possible with this one. I think I've retained the settings I had from the last time I played, and they're probably good, but I wanna double check.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Since doing the Truebrake mod on my G920, I've been doing worlds better in ACC's campaign. That and anchoring my wheelstand to a chair with straps have massively raised my ceiling. Because this is sim racing, of course now I'm like "how else can I spend money" and I'm starting to have The Thoughts about the Cammus C5.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Since doing the Truebrake mod on my G920, I've been doing worlds better in ACC's campaign. That and anchoring my wheelstand to a chair with straps have massively raised my ceiling. Because this is sim racing, of course now I'm like "how else can I spend money" and I'm starting to have The Thoughts about the Cammus C5.

Which spring are you using?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've read zero reviews for the cammus c5 or done any comparison shopping, but I feel like if you have a g920 rn you might as well save up a little more and spring for a fanatec or moza bundle + LC pedal, I feel like the c5 could be a weird position where you'll still want to get a slightly nicer DD at some point whereas a CSL DD or a R5/R9 could be a forever setup, especially with multiple rims.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

amenenema posted:

Which spring are you using?

The green one with the middle spacer.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I've read zero reviews for the cammus c5 or done any comparison shopping, but I feel like if you have a g920 rn you might as well save up a little more and spring for a fanatec or moza bundle + LC pedal, I feel like the c5 could be a weird position where you'll still want to get a slightly nicer DD at some point whereas a CSL DD or a R5/R9 could be a forever setup, especially with multiple rims.

I've been looking at that too, but to not take a step back with the brake pedal it's really not "a little more," it's spending like 2x. I'm also a bit skeptical of the "forever setup" as a concept.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 23, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do not spend any more money on those pedals when the Logitech LC stuff is basically free...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Do not spend any more money on those pedals when the Logitech LC stuff is basically free...

I mean, nothing else to spend money on wrt those pedals at this point. What do you mean "basically free," though?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I mean, nothing else to spend money on wrt those pedals at this point. What do you mean "basically free," though?

I mean that the relative value per dollar is uniquely massively good relative to almost anything else in the space. The cheapest Logitech LC setup is less than $150usd right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

I did the RicmoTech LC conversion on my G923 pedals. It worked really well. So well that 3 months later I sold that bundle and got the Logi G Pro pedals and wheel set. But I'm done now. I swear. (side-eyes profile rigs to replace NLR wheel stand).