Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tungsten posted:

gently caress reading this guy’s book as a kid probably made me dumber didn’t it. like scott adams

Otoh, reading so many books as a kid meant I barely had to crack a textbook through undergrad (barring languages and math), but on the other hand, an unknown amount of my worldview is still based on G. A. Henty books.

Just be glad you're not one of the many, many people who only read Harry Potter and had your worldview created by that .

Stringent posted:

realizing that americans learned absolutely nothing from the aftermath of 9/11 has been one of the most depressing things i've seen in my life.

Orange Devil posted:

For this kind of learning one requires introspection and a conscience.

To Orange Devil's point, what would they learn that doesn't also challenge their baseline assumptions about the world? It's so much easier for them to forget or consider it a one-off, a mistake, Bush and Cheney being uniquely incompetent or evil, than to reconsider America's place in the world, and their place in America.

As we have been saying for almost two years with Ukraine, atrocity propaganda works incredibly well on people who A) trust the media B) understand the world basically in terms of "vibes" , and for those reasons, C) have an interest in not digging to deeply into any one thing but riding the vibes the media feeds them to chase a feeling. That's the anthesis of introspection.

You could show them all the evidence in the world about "Kuwaiti babies torn from incubators" and the only conclusion they would draw from it is that you were a bit of a weirdo for knowing or caring. It would be incomprehensible that knowing about something that happened then has any bearing on now. First, they don't know about it, and they already hold all of the correct opinions about the world, so obviously knowing it doesn't offer them any benefit. That makes you an eccentric.

Second, when they learn about it, they see it as an odd historical detail, maybe a mistake or the action of a bad actor. Like knowing the name of Alexander the Great's horse or something. Someone naming their horse that today would have no consequence, so what difference does it make if someone in the past lied about that atrocity? What matters is what the Iraqis Russians Hamas are doing now. That was a lie then, we're talking about the truth now, so why bring it up?

Third, suppose they do start tugging on that string. Do they really want to feel bad about the Persian Gulf War? It was so long ago. Why put themselves through that? Besides, there's the good war to focus on now, even if that war in the past was an unfortunate, one-off mistake.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Jonah Galtberg posted:

it’s far worse this time round.

Yeah, universal access to social media has amplified everything. Bad times

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jonah Galtberg posted:

it’s far worse this time round.

makes sense. everything's gotten worse.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Buck Wildman posted:

lol he really is the best we've had in decades

this is why im going to vote for him

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

crepeface posted:

this is why im going to vote for him

But there is a whole thread in this sub forum to make fun of him

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Oct 12, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Lmao this makes so much sense

Of course the guy freeloads and does nothing but complain about other people, he's a loving landlord!

I honestly rate this guy as the lowest value poster on the entire forums and really wish he would just go find some place to post that he doesn't hate so much

It's so tiresome to see the same three or four people in every thread there doing the same poo poo. If you let these posters have their way there wouldn't be any forums left

We would just be the front page and coupons and deals

agree.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

lmao

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

nice

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I was worried that The Defector would chicken out but Samer Kalaf came in hot.

https://defector.com/subjugation-and-dehumanization-lead-to-only-one-result

All worth reading but this is the poo poo that needs to be drilled into the heads of people that want Palestine to peacefully protest

quote:

The last time Gazans tried resistance on a large scale, it was during the Great March of Return, which began in 2018. Every Friday for over a year, demonstrators walked to the Israel-Gaza border to protest the blockade and demand their land back. In response the Israeli military killed 223 of them and injured nearly 8,000 more. One IDF sniper, speaking to Haaretz, said that he shot 42 Palestinians in the knee over the course of one day of protests. Journalist Shireen Abu Aqleh was fatally shot by Israeli forces in 2022 while doing her job; the IDF denied responsibility before reluctantly admitting it could have been one of its soldiers, then declined to identify or hold anyone accountable for her killing. At Abu Aqleh’s funeral, Israeli police kicked and beat the mourners carrying her casket. Look beyond the flashpoints that reach the international news cycle, and every day there is another instance of someone being beaten, maimed, or murdered in order to maintain the Palestinian population’s status as subordinate. “The world would be better off if it had more actual, committed, principled pacifists,” the philosopher Olúfẹ́mi O. Táíwò wrote. “But I suspect that what we have instead are mostly people who believe that violence is only the legitimate province of some people, and what is morally required of everyone else is submission.”

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Honest Thief posted:

Biden saying he personally saw pictures of the babies beheadings, it's over who cares if he's lying

biden condemned a million+ ppl to death probs. cool prez

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Smythe posted:

biden condemned a million+ ppl to death probs. cool prez

But enough about covid

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Language truly is a thing to behold:
"i never really thought that i would see, and have confirmed pictures of terrorists beheading children."

Technically not a lie! He never thought he would, and he never has. Thanks Mr. President for assuaging us of that terrible hypothetical.

He was obviously stumbling over words reading from a teleprompter & that is a disingenuous, carefully crafted sentence. I'm sure the lyin' peons worked hard to get just the right pitch on that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Mia Wasikowska posted:

this is a great post

Wait that was the picture that got Al Saqr probed for a month? Free Al Saqr

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Nah I found it

smarxist posted:

how much property does this guy own

Zero VGS posted:

I'm doing my part to keep the big corps from getting rentals, by being a small-time landlord. I own 4 rentals and work a full time IT job yet I'm still poor enough that I got the full $1200, because maintaining the properties, mortgages, and dealing with vacancies is fuckin' expensive. Half of all of rentals in the US are still owned by landlords with 10 units or less. Of course, I already have tenants who haven't made rent which is unfun when there's no pause on my mortgage or utility bills. But it's not their fault, Uncle Sam should be picking up the slack here.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Ardennes posted:

But there is a whole thread in this sub forum to make fun of him

we're voting for him

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im just a small-time landlord

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

There's a settler in the jungle
Watching a missile trail
Caught up in the conflict
Between its brain and its tail
And if time's elimination
Then we got nothing to lose
Please repeat the message
It's hamas that we choose

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gorman Thomas posted:

If my mom called me to tell me that Coachella was under siege by armed men flying in on hang gliders I'd have to tell her to call back because I can't hear her over the wind.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ram dass in hell posted:

we're voting for him

absolutely

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

free al-saqr

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

ram dass in hell posted:

we're voting for him

same, i'm a new kind of chud. a hamas chud

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
seems like the west bank is popping off after america showed its entire rear end at the jackass state department meeting & the rest of the world started collectively realizing it

the west will sell you out the moment it is convenient, they hold no allegiances, start counting your eggs

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

they look so happy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im just a small-time ethical landlo-excuse me i have to take this call beep *beep* NO MORE SECOND CHANCES YOU GET YOUR poo poo OUT ON THE STREET BY SUNDAY OR ILL SEND THE SHERIFF TO DRAG YOU OUT

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Oglethorpe posted:

america will sell you out the moment it is convenient, they hold no allegiances, start counting your eggs

israel must know this

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

i am harry posted:

israel must know this

settler-colonial solidarity is real (and not my friend)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think it's worst than after 9/11 precisely because there's more dissent, more pro Palestinian voices, that threaten the narrative. The threat isn't just the Other this time, it's traitors from within. The narrative must be reaffirmed loudly and accompanied with great violence, the enemy within must be destroyed.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

im just a small-time ethical landlo-excuse me i have to take this call beep *beep* NO MORE SECOND CHANCES YOU GET YOUR poo poo OUT ON THE STREET BY SUNDAY OR ILL SEND THE SHERIFF TO DRAG YOU OUT

I'm a simple humble country landlord. Why after the tenants pay all 5 of my mortgages...

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Sherbert Hoover posted:

same, i'm a new kind of chud. a hamas chud

wife asked why I was saying never Trump never Trump never Trump over and over and I said no I'm saying Hamas Trump.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Starsfan posted:

I feel like Trump has said /done stuff like that before or even more inflammatory to the point of being clearly antisemitic and they've given him a free pass.

He switched the u.s. embassy to jerusalem & hired his jewish son-in-law as his chief of staff or w/e it was. He loves the jews, bc he's convinced the jews love him.

rabbi shmuley thought trump deserved the nobel peace prize, lol.

The Pussy Boss posted:

I got a feeling this is coming in the U.S. too. If not banning protests ahead of time, then breaking them up immediately on whatever pretext.

January 6 convictions already set the pattern for criminalizing dissent & the letter agencies have been censoring media since even before then.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 05:33 on Oct 12, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

maga communism is the only way

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Majorian posted:

he’s doing my old Zhukov av!

"We destroyed freedom in the middle east and Europe will never denounce us for it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

smarxist posted:

#ChinaGay