Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They restored a lot of jobs and likely created more than it required before. They also said they're definitely going to be operating it at a loss. Why try to spin this as a selfish move?

Agreed. There’s significant money being poured into that community on restoration materials and labor alone.

Then there’s local jobs to run the place. Local tax revenue. And likely significant additional tourist revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Plus, if the old management was as bad as it sounded, I'm sure a better experience plus actual South Park involvement (and all the advertising) are going to give it a better shot. I smile every time I walk past the Denver airport City Wok, but have never cared enough to actually go there.

Even if it does fail, they just signed a fuckin $900,000,000 deal and are doing something fun that benefits the community instead of pumping money into some libertarian thinktank or writing another musical or whatever else they're doing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

Why they spent $40 million on a previously failed restaurant? Because it was more fun than spending $40 million dollars helping people.

I mean that's assuming they don't give any money to any charities.

But even if not. Casa Bonita was trying to hire 500 people. And will also be a giant economical boost for all the other businesses in the area. There's a brewery / bar next door that ended up making a special beer for Casa Bonita because they know their business is going to skyrocket.

Millionaires do a lot of really expensive passion projects & most don't have any impact on a community at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At least they didn't go for a submarine ride. That would have been cheaper, but sadder.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Casa Bonita seems to have eliminated tipping & instead paying servers & bartenders $30 / hour. Obviously some upset staff and maybe controversy from that... Casa Bonita likely going to be packed for the next few months and tips likely would go well over $30 / hour.

Although possibly it is related to the current system of having to buy a ticket in order to dine at Casa Bonita, no idea how that poo poo works.

https://www.axios.com/local/denver/2023/06/24/casa-bonita-employee-pay-tips-reopening

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not an expert on local wages but that sounds like a lot, and tipping is an awful system that needs to be abolished. Even though they cite "a decrease in total wages, potentially by hundreds of dollars per shift, from what management suggested with tips when it's near capacity" I question whether that has more to do with their attempt to put a positive spin on the original lower wage than anything close to reality.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not an expert on local wages but that sounds like a lot, and tipping is an awful system that needs to be abolished. Even though they cite "a decrease in total wages, potentially by hundreds of dollars per shift, from what management suggested with tips when it's near capacity" I question whether that has more to do with their attempt to put a positive spin on the original lower wage than anything close to reality.

In my bartending days in eastern Iowa 15 years ago, I could easily clear $600-700 a night in tips on Fridays and Saturdays, each, and that was from an 8-hour shift from 6 p.m. - 2 a.m. 8 hours at $30 puts me at ... $240, and then a huge chunk of that gets eaten by the tax man.

Mandating that workers have to take a $30 / hour wage or else quit, after originally promising that they would get tips--and that management is being opaque about what would happen if customers attempt to tip workers--reads as little else than wage suppression.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Having no experience in the industry myself, I can't say you're wrong. I guess for me it still depends on the hours and whether they'll give raises in a fair and timely fashion. And I also don't see a good reason for changing the contracts instead of starting out with this plan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

Having no experience in the industry myself, I can't say you're wrong. I guess for me it still depends on the hours and whether they'll give raises in a fair and timely fashion. And I also don't see a good reason for changing the contracts instead of starting out with this plan.

Trey and Matt being libertarian dorks probably has a large part to do with it (though I honestly have no idea how heavily they're involved in the day-to-day running of the new restaurant).

All I know is that if I signed on to work for a company for X money, plus the possibility of tips, and then they switched me to Y money with zero possibility of tips and gave me literally a day to accept or else quit or be fired, I'd walk, because that's horseshit of the highest order. $30 an hour 3 days a week does not pay the bills.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tipping sucks. It creates a bad experience for the customer and a bad experience for the wait staff, in the long run.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Outsourcing employee wages to the whims of diners and drinkers is a loving atrocity that only happened because of prohibition and doesn't exist basically anywhere else but the US, I'm pretty sure.

So this is a good move overall, but $30 an hour is really low.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LividLiquid posted:

Outsourcing employee wages to the whims of diners and drinkers is a loving atrocity that only happened because of prohibition and doesn't exist basically anywhere else but the US, I'm pretty sure.

So this is a good move overall, but $30 an hour is really low.

$30 an hour equates to roughly 60k a year. 45k after taxes. What is cost of living there? 45k is nothing in the major metros but in most of the country you can do pretty good on that. It's also higher than the minimum wage anywhere I know of, not that that is saying much but that's a good starting wage for a non-skilled job.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Tipping in general might benefit the Friday and Saturday night bar staff sure, but those who have to work the lovely weekday/ morning shifts I bet would love to earn $30 an hour compared to minimum wage and below.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

$30 an hour equates to roughly 60k a year. 45k after taxes. What is cost of living there? 45k is nothing in the major metros but in most of the country you can do pretty good on that. It's also higher than the minimum wage anywhere I know of, not that that is saying much but that's a good starting wage for a non-skilled job.

Well it is in Lakewood, a suburb of Denver. I'm sure $30 an hour for 40 hours would be a good salary, although not sure if they are getting 40 hours yet or not.

I get tipping is a bad system, but in the right restaurants it can be pretty favorable for the servers. Casa Bonita's system involves buying tickets to enter which include the dinner and costs $40 for adults and $25 for kids. So many tables would easily be a $100+ ticket. 1 table would potentially be the hourly salary for a server in a traditional restaurant. So understandable why the staff would not be happy with the policy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well it is in Lakewood, a suburb of Denver. I'm sure $30 an hour for 40 hours would be a good salary, although not sure if they are getting 40 hours yet or not.

I get tipping is a bad system, but in the right restaurants it can be pretty favorable for the servers. Casa Bonita's system involves buying tickets to enter which include the dinner and costs $40 for adults and $25 for kids. So many tables would easily be a $100+ ticket. 1 table would potentially be the hourly salary for a server in a traditional restaurant. So understandable why the staff would not be happy with the policy.

They aren't getting 40 hours, the place is open three nights a week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

That's all well and good, but when the job pays significantly more than that with tips, it really isn't.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Is this $30/hour for everyone? Cliff divers and trumpet players in a mariachi band?

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
A quick google makes it look like CO's tipped minimum wage is ~$10 ($14 in Denver), which makes $30 per hour sound way worse than I originally thought. If a server's getting more than one or two tables at a time, I totally get being pissed about it, depending on how long they're expecting each group to be there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hopefully this leads into the long awaited tipping is stupid episode.

The boys go out to eat and cartman refuses to tip after making fun of kenny not having enough $$ to buy anything other than an appetizer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

When Pigs Cry posted:

A quick google makes it look like CO's tipped minimum wage is ~$10 ($14 in Denver), which makes $30 per hour sound way worse than I originally thought. If a server's getting more than one or two tables at a time, I totally get being pissed about it, depending on how long they're expecting each group to be there.

Right. It's wage suppression.

Edit: Again, the staff isn't working 40 hours a week and pulling down $30 an hour. Casa Bonita is open three nights a week.

Timby fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 3, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are they trying to suppress wages or create a better experience for the guests?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think this is a thing that needs to be set in motion, and this seems like the perfect place to try it. BUT - they absolutely should have disclosed this in the first place and not after they hired everyone.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUkACtXNCH4

So now its a real game.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hello-kitty-island-adventure/id1553505132

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

Are they trying to suppress wages or create a better experience for the guests?

Maybe... the truth is in the middle?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uizm1wrK-hI

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was curious on the Kendrick Lamar movie. Lamar coproducing the movie with Trey directing and written by Vernon Chatman (long time South Park writer).

Only took 20 years for Trey Parker to work up the nerve to do another movie.

https://hiphopdx.com/news/kendrick-lamar-film-south-park-creators-new-details

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

THQs 2023 Game showcase is this afternoon. Last year they teases a new game. Rumors are that Trey & Matt at least started doing voiceovers for it in March. Good chance we get a trailer for their new game today.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

1. don't listen to anyone who tells you to not watch season [whatever] of south park. if you're not caught up with everything, just watch it all in release order and form your own opinion. some of it's not great, some of it's pretty good. you'll figure it out.

2. don't listen to anyone who naysays wealthy people for not just waking up one day and deciding to give all their money away. these same people will walk/drive past countless homeless people asking for change going "sorry" or looking the other way while they spend their own money on frivolous poo poo they don't need, just like the rich people they condemn.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

South Park Snowday... 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEv35KH-DXQ

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

2. don't listen to anyone who naysays wealthy people for not just waking up one day and deciding to give all their money away. these same people will walk/drive past countless homeless people asking for change going "sorry" or looking the other way while they spend their own money on frivolous poo poo they don't need, just like the rich people they condemn.
:jerkbag:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lame. Unless I am totally missing the trailer, it's gonna be a south park skin over a crappy moba or something like that. Also, south park + 3d = bleh.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I see South Park is back to being a lovely shovelware game franchise.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Well, it mentions New Kid. So I guess it's continuing on?

Maybe this one will be more like an action RPG like dragons age or something? They've been pretty good so far, I might check it out still.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm not super stoked on it going 3D. But I don't think Trey & Matt would sign off on it if it was another South Park 64 type game.

On the other hand. I do think it's cool they are trying something new with the new game. When they easily could have just reskinned the 1st 2 games and sold it with a different story line / theme.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It looks like some kind of online PvP game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They are finally getting around to doing their 2 Paramount Plus "Special Events" for the year.

Cartman’s deeply disturbing dreams portend the end of the life he knows and loves. The adults in South Park are also wrestling with their own life decisions as the advent of AI is turning their world upside down. Stream the new South Park exclusive event on Friday, Oct. 27 in the US and Canada, and internationally on Saturday, Oct. 28, only on Paramount+.

Oh hamburgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNBnO-0mpiE

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Finally a South Park for modern audiences.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So, like, they're just gonna' make the same tired joke about women-led reboots, huh?

I do hope there's more to it than that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Of course there's more to it.

It doubles as a joke about woke diversity quotas! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's room for an incisive commentary about studios cynically cashing in on the legitimate need/desire for diverse casting while being so creatively bankrupt that they're still just retreading the same old IPs (mostly created by white men) with a colorful coat of paint.

Do I trust the South Park guys to make it? Eh... At this point not really. I don't object to the idea, but I'll probably object to the clumsy execution.

If I ever see it, which I probably won't, because Paramount.