Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just because of how hard it is to get a referendum up, the polls would have to be very off.

Honestly at this point I'm just hoping the yes get a decent, getting over 50% of the vote would be great just to show it has majority support even if it's not enough to get the referendum through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

What are the odds the polls are wrong and they're herding a cooker heavy sample.

Most polls have undecided in the mid to high 20s.

I think the odds are very high. I think it's still a bit of a diceroll but I don't think that it's going to be a resounding defeat. The way information flows and people engage with polling are different from what happened in 1999, I've really thought all the noise about how the No vote is getting up from NewCorp was an attempt to normalise the idea of voting no and playing into the Australian kink of wanting to back a winner.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
roy Morgan had a remarkably close margin yesterday with the yes swinging up by 5% from their previous poll fwiw (probably nothing)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lil' Johnny Howard said a no vote would also help discourage a republican referendum yesterday so thanks for the Yes boost, Johnny boy

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Lil' Johnny Howard said a no vote would also help discourage a republican referendum yesterday so thanks for the Yes boost, Johnny boy

I know this doesn't add much to what you said. But it must be said as often as possible.

John Howard is a oval office.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know this doesn't add much to what you said. But it must be said as often as possible.

John Howard is a oval office.

:hmmyes:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm ready for a 40/60 blowout defeat. This seems really skewed by age, so I think many supporters are seeing other yes voters more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Went to vote today. Lots of yes vote signs. No pamphets were being handed out by a lobster who couldnt even make eye contact.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

No pamphets were being handed out by a lobster who couldnt even make eye contact.

So what was the lobster even doing then

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Went to vote today. Lots of yes vote signs. No pamphets were being handed out by a lobster who couldnt even make eye contact.

uh excuse me, my eyes are up *here*

*points to excessively long eye stalks*

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bucky Fullminster posted:

So what was the lobster even doing then

snapping their claws and making chitinous noises

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know people who are losing their minds over this. They only watch channels 10, 9 and 7 and don't listen to AM radio or watch Sky, but have become convinced that if 'Yes' wins then Aboriginal peoples will be getting free money, starting government bodies that will cancel everything that benefits old white people and, gently caress I dunno, strutting about like they own the place.

Where these ideas are even coming from, gently caress only knows. I can only assume it's from other old people swapping rumours some geriatric nazi gently caress made up while snorting his alzheimer's medicine.

But, yeah, snark aside, there really does seem to be an undercurrent of fear in the older people about the 'Yes' vote winning and I just don't know where it's coming from. It's probably like how 95% of Covid misinformation came from just five people running dozens of Facebook and Twitter accounts.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Where these ideas are even coming from, gently caress only knows. I can only assume it's from other old people swapping rumours some geriatric nazi gently caress made up while snorting his alzheimer's medicine.

a lot of it is coming from Sky News running stories about The Uluru Statement being 30 pages, not 1, and the 30 pages list how much reparations will be etc

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Uluru account statement

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know people who are losing their minds over this. They only watch channels 10, 9 and 7 and don't listen to AM radio or watch Sky, but have become convinced that if 'Yes' wins then Aboriginal peoples will be getting free money, starting government bodies that will cancel everything that benefits old white people and, gently caress I dunno, strutting about like they own the place.

But, yeah, snark aside, there really does seem to be an undercurrent of fear in the older people about the 'Yes' vote winning and I just don't know where it's coming from. It's probably like how 95% of Covid misinformation came from just five people running dozens of Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Feels like a slippery slope but the lack of requirement for the official campaigns to be fact based is a real weakness of the system. Politicians of all stripes decry fake news and misinformation but the entire official No campaign is literally built on lies.

It really makes this poo poo so much easier to grab hold when the entire premise of the official No campaign isn't real.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amazing that the old whities who get endless free money and strut about like they own the place are scared of non-whites doing the same. It's always projection.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I blame Midnight Oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejorQVy3m8E

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Lol, now Lidia Thorpe is supporting a legislated voice and calling Albanese a coward for not committing to defy the referendum vote.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Captain Theron posted:

Lol, now Lidia Thorpe is supporting a legislated voice and calling Albanese a coward for not committing to defy the referendum vote.

Lol

A complete idiot. So much for the radical progressive no

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-12/lidia-thorpe-backs-indigenous-voice-outside-referendum/102966682

quote:

Senator Thorpe said she would consider it a victory if the referendum was defeated, and the beginning of a "truth-telling journey".

But she also chastised the government, saying she had warned Prime Minister Anthony Albanese that Australians were not ready for the referendum and it would provide a platform for racism.

The senator was targeted last week in a far-right racist abusive video and says she still fears for her safety.

There is an unhelpfully large dollop of the perfect being the enemy of the good here but she's far from being an idiot.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/radionational-breakfast/lidia-thorpe-on-the-voice-and-treaty/102012582

Take 13 minutes to listen to her reasoning and thoughts.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Cartoon posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-12/lidia-thorpe-backs-indigenous-voice-outside-referendum/102966682

There is an unhelpfully large dollop of the perfect being the enemy of the good here but she's far from being an idiot.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/radionational-breakfast/lidia-thorpe-on-the-voice-and-treaty/102012582

Take 13 minutes to listen to her reasoning and thoughts.

Yeah, nah. If she honestly expects that a no result is going to lead to better outcomes for indigenous Australians in any way, she's an idiot. And if the Voice is too surface level and inconsequential, then having it only legislated weakens it further. The right will use a no result as a weapon to beat down any and every proposed improvement for years to come, including a legislated Voice, let alone a treaty.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hold on there. We don't get to live in a 'what if?' universe. Thorpe (as an indigenous voice) advised not to do it, because of the negative consequences you are now stating

quote:

The right will use a no result as a weapon to beat down any and every proposed improvement for years to come, including a legislated Voice, let alone a treaty.
She speciically said we were not ready for a 'voice' referendum because there needed to be a true telling process first. This wasn't for idiotic or unthinking reasons. It was specifically to turn down the right wing backlash.

Now we are in the post 'I told you not to do it because it would be a disaster' world (She [idiotically, apparently] mentions the increase in indigenous suicide rate since the start of the voice campaign) she is asking for a positive response to a negative outcome. I don't think it's a winner but calling her an idiot is both uncalled for and ignores most of what she is saying.

Ignoring an indigenous voice? Colour me shocked. Also

Cartoon posted:

Quick voice referendum report.

Holy poo poo. If our local prepolling venue is anything to go by the vote will be 90+% No. I overheard a large group of the local wrinklies and they were all loudly spouting crap about 'blacks'. Mentions were made of Sky News, that Ray Martin was 'a suck hole' and Peter Dutton was going to audit all 'black' funding if elected. If? More like when if this is any indication. Locally (Mid North Coast NSW) the whole referendum has been a massive miss step. The locals are all but putting up Klan recruitment posters using this as the cudgel to beat any progressive opinion about indigenous issues. The irony is that if indigenous people had been properly consulted (and believe me I have no idea how that would look) this referendum would never have been put in the form it is in. Sovereignty means something very different to indigenous people and (sad to say) most Australian have no idea about it and care less.

The whole No campaign is about assimilation and extinquishing native culture. I'm pretty upset and depressed about the whole thing at the moment. This referendum is going down.

None of the above is Thorpe's doing. Someone else gets to be the 'idiot' here.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

It's a bit I have been doing for a long time. Look after yourself.

What bit?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Hold on there. We don't get to live in a 'what if?' universe. Thorpe (as an indigenous voice) advised not to do it, because of the negative consequences you are now stating

She speciically said we were not ready for a 'voice' referendum because there needed to be a true telling process first. This wasn't for idiotic or unthinking reasons. It was specifically to turn down the right wing backlash.

Now we are in the post 'I told you not to do it because it would be a disaster' world (She [idiotically, apparently] mentions the increase in indigenous suicide rate since the start of the voice campaign) she is asking for a positive response to a negative outcome. I don't think it's a winner but calling her an idiot is both uncalled for and ignores most of what she is saying.

Ignoring an indigenous voice? Colour me shocked. Also

None of the above is Thorpe's doing. Someone else gets to be the 'idiot' here.

I never said she was an idiot for correctly calling out the rise in racism as a result of the referendum, but she is an idiot for thinking that a no result will lead to improvements and campaigning for that outcome. And she's doubling down by now coming out and supporting a legislated voice, which by her own logic won't deliver the outcome she wants. Either a voice is an important measure or it's not, either it needs to come after treaty or it doesn't, you can't have it both ways.

I'm not ignoring indigenous voices, I'm listening to them. The Statement from the Heart is a very clear, straightforward and consultative declaration from indigenous Australians that laid out the Voice as a concrete step to improve outcomes. Voting 'progressively' no to that simple request is dumb and I'm not going to pretend it isn't.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Apparently the latest thing is to put tape on "110" speed limit signs so they say "NO" instead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wonder what this means for the 'conservative yes' vote

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Where these ideas are even coming from, gently caress only knows

well,

btw you guys could have just said "take out the excessive bolding I reckon", but thanks to those who raised it, and you may be pleased to know I went and did that and think it looks a lot more professional, interested to know if it hits your eyes any different

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
What has doomed the Yes campaign was the lack of bipartisnship. It was basically going to go down from December 2022 :-

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...t-free-exercise

Thorpe didn't leave the Greens and come out against the voice until February 2023. Her position has always been as an advocate for a better deal. She may have stayed with the Greens and been a strong proponent for Yes, if Dutton and Co had not sought to leverage the racist fascist arseholes in this country against it.

Furthermore if Albanesse had legislated the body first it would have lead to a better chance for the whole campaign. As I have previously stated (and requoted myself just above) the whole issue of who gets to say what about indigenous people within the indigenous groups in Australia is a highly vexed question, as would have been the composition of the legislated voice. Look at the issues in NZ with the interpretation of the Treaty of Waitangi for an insight:- https://nzhistory.govt.nz/politics/treaty/the-treaty-in-brief

The mainstream NO campaign is about indigenous people accepting their lot and assimilating culturally. As a nation we need to do better. Largely because there is realistically around one gerneration left before the fascists have made the question moot.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The leftists who are arguing for a legislated voice have not been paying attention to the Statement from the Heart.

There’s also zero change it’ll get legislated at the federal level if No wins, it’s delulu thinking that any goverment would go against a referendum result.

We will prob just have a variety of voices at state levels because that seems easier.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cartoon posted:

What has doomed the Yes campaign was the lack of bipartisnship. It was basically going to go down from December 2022 :-

Thorpe didn't leave the Greens and come out against the voice until February 2023. Her position has always been as an advocate for a better deal. She may have stayed with the Greens and been a strong proponent for Yes, if Dutton and Co had not sought to leverage the racist fascist arseholes in this country against it.

can you unpack this for me a bit? i might be misreading, but why is Dutton and Co. doing what they normally do an incentive for Lidia to leave, rather than stay and be a proponent for Yes?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Cartoon posted:

Furthermore if Albanesse had legislated the body first it would have lead to a better chance for the whole campaign. As I have previously stated (and requoted myself just above) the whole issue of who gets to say what about indigenous people within the indigenous groups in Australia is a highly vexed question, as would have been the composition of the legislated voice. Look at the issues in NZ with the interpretation of the Treaty of Waitangi for an insight:- https://nzhistory.govt.nz/politics/treaty/the-treaty-in-brief

The mainstream NO campaign is about indigenous people accepting their lot and assimilating culturally. As a nation we need to do better. Largely because there is realistically around one gerneration left before the fascists have made the question moot.

I never thought I'd see old Kamahl (who was going to vote No, then Yes, then No) get dogpiled by Yes voters screaming at him he's a racist, but here we are.

The voice is one big depressing mess... The whole world is a one big depressing mess...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Well this is unusual. An SMS to AEC temporary election workers just went out asking them to watch this video about unpleasant individuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU26DHoe9I0

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well this is unusual. An SMS to AEC temporary election workers just went out asking them to watch this video about unpleasant individuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU26DHoe9I0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
#YouGov Voice to Parliament

Yes 38 (=)
No 56 (+3)
Undecided 6 (-3)

Designated as final poll, Oct 6-10

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Win or lose, I just hope they have plenty of Democracy Sausages available this Saturday :D (Only us Aussies will get this!)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

Win or lose, I just hope they have plenty of Democracy Sausages available this Saturday :D (Only us Aussies will get this!)

That's not the only thing that'll be cooked on saturday.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wizard Master posted:

I had to explain the concept of the "democracy snag" to my Co-Teacher here in Hokkaido. She seemed impressed.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I have never had a democracy sausage

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sausages are peasant bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon