Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I hope the ejector triggering hurls you out of the pod and into a crude pile of mattresses nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I think I can jump to 1515 (if I'm reading the grid right), and then shoot at the Commando.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

every time you take a head hit, you have to solve a captcha, and the more heads hits you've taken the more fire hydrants you have to click before your controls reactivate

e: the Commando finally has a goal (survive for as long as possible) and therefore you need to destroy it before the Griffin because i want it to fail that objective

biosterous fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 11, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Time to kill the metal baby. Remember it's got Narrow Profile, so this will take longer than you'd expect unless some of those PPCs can land a solid blow.

Not sure if the SHD stay out of the GRF's LOS but still have a shot at the COM. The GLD might as well stay up close to the GRF to avoid it's weapons.

You're in the final stretch with minimal internal damage. Just keep the TBT and SHD out of being the best shots for the OPFOR and the other two have enough armor to melee the GRF to submission.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wolverine

I think I'm going to move to 1614 and shoot my lasers at the commando

I think the more banged up mechs should stay out of sight of the griffin until the commando is off the board

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Moving to 1322 and having it out with the Babby.

My PPC should be going out on 7s vs return fire on 10s. I've got the armour to face tank a round of fire. My plan is to keep pushing towards them and trying to get behind.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A thought. The Griffin is next to a hole. Someone ending in the hex north and not firing their arm weapons could try and shove them in.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AJ_Impy posted:

A thought. The Griffin is next to a hole. Someone ending in the hex north and not firing their arm weapons could try and shove them in.

If only that were a mud hex this would be perfect.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Nice thought, but I don't think anyone can get into position this round, unless you can do a shove attack after landing from a jump.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think that'll be a bit later. We're all out of position.

We pound at the Commando while closing in. And then we shove the Griffen around a little bit. And then practice our DFAs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can I get a range check from 1517 to the commando?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Can I get a range check from 1517 to the commando?

No problem, I know the hex borders are a bit difficult to make out. If it helps, the coordinates are always at the top of each hex.

A mech standing in 1517 would be six hexes away from the Commando, although you don't seem to have enough MP to make it there.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rorahusky posted:

Nice thought, but I don't think anyone can get into position this round, unless you can do a shove attack after landing from a jump.

I can get there but I would be hitting on 11s.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

No problem, I know the hex borders are a bit difficult to make out. If it helps, the coordinates are always at the top of each hex.

A mech standing in 1517 would be six hexes away from the Commando, although you don't seem to have enough MP to make it there.

I can see them ok, it's more that I have real difficulty working out the ranges when it's on an awkward diagonal

Wrt my movement, afaict I have to spend 1mp turning around and a further 3 to get to 1514 which puts me at 4, then another mp to turn south, then 3 to get to 1517 which puts me at 8?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Wrt my movement, afaict I have to spend 1mp turning around and a further 3 to get to 1514 which puts me at 4, then another mp to turn south, then 3 to get to 1517 which puts me at 8?

Turning costs +1 MP per facing, so turning to face 1313 would actually cost you +2 MP.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

I can see them ok, it's more that I have real difficulty working out the ranges when it's on an awkward diagonal.

Maybe I'll jump onto those mesa things, and you can go to 1515. I reckon I'll survive a turn being the centre of attention.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Turning costs +1 MP per facing, so turning to face 1313 would actually cost you +2 MP.

:saddowns:

painedforever posted:

Maybe I'll jump onto those mesa things, and you can go to 1515. I reckon I'll survive a turn being the centre of attention.

I'll move to 1516, it's still frustratingly long range for my small guns but I'd rather shoot than not

If you do a jump you get +3 defense so they'll have a hard time hitting you at all

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sounds like a plan.

I'll take the high road, and you'll take the low road. And I'll shoot that little bastard before ye!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 11

“Oh man, my goose is about to get cooked, huh.” Armando Pasquier muttered as a storm of gunfire tore into his position. He twisted sideways in an effort to minimise his Commando’s silhouette, but with so much incoming fire something was bound to get through, and it did. Red light flashed as one of the lasers boiled away what was left of his mech’s chest armour. Armando sucked in a surprised breath and shuffled uncomfortably on his command couch as a wave of scorching heat flooded his pod. At the same moment a chorus of overheat warnings and engine alarms assaulted his eardrums, telling him in no uncertain terms that the shot had damaged his Commando’s fusion reactor.

“I didn’t mean it literally!” Armando griped, shaking his mech’s fist at the oncoming mercenaries. “This is not a comedy skit, goddammit! Although… uh… I guess I have been clowning around for the past… uh… however long it’s been.”

A sinking feeling filled Armando as he felt the grim shadow of The Babble fall over him once again. The Babble was a bad habit of his, one that he had tried to break for years without success. Whenever he was nervous or excited his tongue unlatched itself, allowing an avalanche of pure nonsense to spill out of his mouth. One time, Armando had spouted so much rubbish at such a high speed that his instructor back on Coromodir had become convinced that he was on amphetamines.

“But I mean, can you blame me, really? I don’t know what I’m doing! Boss man tells me to go west, so I go west. But then the mercs shoot at me, like, right away, so I’m like, whoa, wait a minute, I better slow down! Oh, but then I think, nah, I better keep going, and then bam! I run right into the Treb. So then I shoot at him, and holy cow, everything hits, and I’m like, wow, I must be a secret genius. Seriously, it was like Hanni Schmidt was guiding my shots or some poo poo. Then I shoot the Shad and the Glad and only get a couple more hits, and realise, nah, I’m just an idiot who got lucky. Who pilots a Glad these days anyway? Didn’t the Dracs scrap them after they all shat the bed that one time? Yeah, they got stomped by Commandos. Ha! Commandos! Commandos are pretty cool actually, I know because I have one-”

“Pasquier! What the gently caress are you blathering about?!” Etienne interrupted angrily.

Armando squawked in surprise and embarrassment. He hadn’t realised he’d been broadcasting on an open channel. He must have accidentally knocked a switch or something. “Fuckfuckfuck! Sorry, sir! You know how I tend to ramble on a bit when-”

“I don’t care! This whole match has turned into a shitshow, and I don’t have time to deal with your verbal diarrhoea!” Etienne took a deep breath, clearly fighting to stay calm. “I’m overheating, badly. Head north and make as much noise as you can. Try to get the Shadow Hawk and Wolverine off my back while my sinks do their work.”

Armando raised an eyebrow. “I’m overheating too, sir. My engine’s in pretty rough shape. I mean, I’ll do it, but I don’t think it’ll buy you much time.”

“I know that! But I’m at the end of my loving rope here! Do it! Now!”

“Roger that, sir. Beginning suicide run.” Armando shrugged, then kicked his Commando into gear and raced north. As the Shadow Hawk and Wolverine steadily grew larger, he wondered which one of their guns had his name on it.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) attempts to jump to Hex 1416 but does not have enough Jumping MP; movement ends in Hex 1415.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) needs 10, rolls 11: Hits Centre Torso! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 8 to 4! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 4 damage to Centre Torso, 0/8 Armour, 6/8 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! One Critical Hit sustained! Engine Hit!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 12, rolls 5: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

No melee attacks this turn!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 2 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 17 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 9 heat. Overheating!

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 15 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 11 heat. Overheating!

Pilot Cosette Delacroix must roll a 5+ to wake up. Rolls a 4: Fails!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (4/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 17th 9:00PM GMT.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Thinking of shooting the babby and kicking the Griffin from 2018. Does kicking have an arc?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Z the IVth posted:

Gladiator

Thinking of shooting the babby and kicking the Griffin from 2018. Does kicking have an arc?
Yes, the kicking arc is the forward three hexes, and torso twisting doesn't apply.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Ok then running to 1919, shooting the commando and kicking the Griffin.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Shadow Hawk

I'll probably jump to 1617, shooting and punching the Commando. That sounds like a plan...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Am now torn between helping to guarantee the vaporisation of the commando or trying to close the distance to the griffin ASAP and put some rounds into him instead

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Am now torn between helping to guarantee the vaporisation of the commando or trying to close the distance to the griffin ASAP and put some rounds into him instead

Little bit crazy idea. Just don't move. Give the GRF a very easy target and draw fire. If he takes the bait, he'll keep his heat up and you'll draw fire away from everyone else. You've got the armor to stand up to it and it would let you get great odds on the COM.

Afterwards, everyone should already be close enough to the GRF to not worry as much due to minimum range.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not moving had occurred to me, it would mean I could split my fire between the commando and griffin. The griffin would have to get super duper lucky to crit me right?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Not moving had occurred to me, it would mean I could split my fire between the commando and griffin. The griffin would have to get super duper lucky to crit me right?

I'd just concentrate on the COM, as the GRF for secondary target is harder, and Narrow Profile will make the COM harder to kill for everyone.

You also have the best armor left, so if the GRF and COM unloaded this turn, you're the best choice out of everyone. If the GRF takes the bait, this will continue to overheat it. This is great for you guys if you also finished the COM.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 15, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 11

“Roger that, sir. Beginning suicide run.” Armando shrugged, then kicked his Commando into gear and raced north. As the Shadow Hawk and Wolverine steadily grew larger, he wondered which one of their guns had his name on it.

Might as well oblige the princeling on this turn IMO

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does the low profile/glancing hits rule work against physical attacks, or can you just like, walk up and punch the commando out without worrying about it scraping?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Looking at sarna.net it's only for ranged attacks

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Trebuchet

Moving to 1722 and shooting the Commando.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Why do I get the feeling the Griffin is going to jump towards the north?

Well, we have good mobility in this lance. We can chase him if he does, right?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

painedforever posted:

Why do I get the feeling the Griffin is going to jump towards the north?

Well, we have good mobility in this lance. We can chase him if he does, right?

His max jump is only 5, which the Wolverine and Gladiator match. He might be able to get out of reach temporarily if he jumps north, but not for long. And not if one of ours preemptively jumps the gap

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You also have to consider that if he jumps and shoots he's likely to overheat even further. Keep the pressure on!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can make the jump to 2015 right?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Pressing him so hard he overheats to the point of shutdown would be an excellent humiliation.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

I can make the jump to 2015 right?

Yes, you can make it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Excellent

Wolverine

I'm jumping to 2015 to try to head off the griffin, shooting my small guns at the commando

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is there a way to get Megamek to display hex outlines/borders for level terrain? It might help with readability and determining ranges in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Personally I don't find them hard to read, I find it hard to work out how you're meant to count them when it isn't exactly in line

I'm also phone posting so I can't use ms paint, if that's meant to help