Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I wonder what evidence Elon is scrubbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thank gently caress

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And three days later it shall raise from the grave!

A Halloween miracle!!!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So, like, the EU are talking about how people used the (legally required) reporting mechanisms within Twitter's platform and then those reports aren't being acted on (because he fired approximately all of the compliance and trust and safety teams that respond to those reports).

Meaning this response isn't gonna fly at all, and will likely just antagonize the regulator even more.

This is the sort of "legal liability time bomb" that can have potentially unbounded costs and Musk has no idea how to even start complying with it or what the consequences are.

I stand by my (much earlier claim) that Twitter is already insolvent once you start counting the pending legal issues the company faces, from the unpaid rent to broken employee contracts to massive looming fines. There's no way there's an honest accounting of those even in the CEO's absurd "cash-flow positive once we ignore bank debts" claim.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

quick, kill it while it’s down

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ShadowHawk posted:

So, like, the EU are talking about how people used the (legally required) reporting mechanisms within Twitter's platform and then those reports aren't being acted on (because he fired approximately all of the compliance and trust and safety teams that respond to those reports).

Meaning this response isn't gonna fly at all, and will likely just antagonize the regulator even more.

This is the sort of "legal liability time bomb" that can have potentially unbounded costs and Musk has no idea how to even start complying with it or what the consequences are.

I stand by my (much earlier claim) that Twitter is already insolvent once you start counting the pending legal issues the company faces, from the unpaid rent to broken employee contracts to massive looming fines. There's no way there's an honest accounting of those even in the CEO's absurd "cash-flow positive once we ignore bank debts" claim.

yeah the EU is totally going to do something

any day now

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
In retrospect a complete site-wide outage would bring the company into legal compliance

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm also not sold on the whole "he'll just ignore it, they can't compel him to pay a fine" angle. The EU is a bureaucracy, tedious legal matters is what they do.

e: I'm not saying they will, but they can. If nothing happens it's on them, and not because of any deft maneuvering on Elon's part.

kazil posted:

Yeah that was when he was boosted so much that he was in literally everyone's feed. Then a few weeks later when he made the algorithm "open source" was totally shocked that there was "author_is_elon"

oh right lol, it was the cause of that whole thing

was that also when he fired his last Actual Metrics guy for telling him he wasn't interesting enough to have the numbers he wanted, or was that an earlier thing? all of these episodes kind of blend together after a while

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So cool people can have snuff gore pushed to their feed but *still* won’t delete their Twitter accounts.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

oh right lol, it was the cause of that whole thing

was that also when he fired his last Actual Metrics guy for telling him he wasn't interesting enough to have the numbers he wanted, or was that an earlier thing? all of these episodes kind of blend together after a while

Yeah I think that was from the Super Bowl

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Incorrect, when Linda briefed their lenders she explained that if you don’t count their debts they’re actually worth quite a bit of money.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You call me into a meeting at 2am PST you’re gonna get an unfiltered look into my dontgiveafuck

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
that might be the worst he did to birdsite people, but he's done just as worse with his rocket company and telling them to use glue and ordering them to do it during Xmas.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Buce posted:

people who venerate sparta should be fed to wolves

For real. It was a loving awful place.

Everyone who reveres these wonderful societies in the past ALL believe they will be the ones on the top. Sparta was brutal and filled with tons of debauchery that all of these Sound of Freedom lovers publicly despise (but secretly love).

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Everyone who reveres these wonderful societies in the past ALL believe they will be the ones on the top. Sparta was brutal and filled with tons of debauchery that all of these Sound of Freedom lovers publicly despise (but secretly love).

These are the same people who believe that they would be big important Fallout: New Vegas faction leader types in a post-apocalypse scenario, and definitely not slaves or the next meal for their cannibal neighbors. They are completely immune to Rawlsian philosophy because their brains are so privilege-poisoned that they literally cannot imagine a scenario where they do not experience the best possible result from a range of possible outcomes. Someone over in the bitcoin thread posted an excerpt from Michael Lewis's biography of Sam Bankman-Fried where he expresses pretty much this exact position.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i love how techbros and other rich people have bunker mcmansions on islands with no farmable land or freshwater sources.

yeah dude enjoy your solar(thats probably just a supplement to a hydrocarbon gen). or bunkers with obvious single entry points and or obvious air intake vents.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sparta is where kratos was born so it was good

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Yep every classroom looks just like that

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I used to have a ton of chud adjacent hobbies so I have guns, camping and survival gear, freeze dried food (those mountain house breakfast meals are great in the morning while camping), medical training and supplies (was an EMT briefly), some basic military training in the Marines, I can fly a plane, I can theoretically do lots of poo poo.

But I am also not a (complete) moron so I understand that all of that will mean nothing when it comes down to some never-gonna-happen wild war survival situation in my lifetime. This isn't a loving movie. I could walk outside my house and trip over the front steps and break my leg and that'd be it. I'm dead. No one will come to my aid. These people don't understand how much they truly rely on their community and services.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Musk should become a flds guy

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I used to have a ton of chud adjacent hobbies so I have guns, camping and survival gear, freeze dried food (those mountain house breakfast meals are great in the morning while camping), medical training and supplies (was an EMT briefly), some basic military training in the Marines, I can fly a plane, I can theoretically do lots of poo poo.

But I am also not a (complete) moron so I understand that all of that will mean nothing when it comes down to some never-gonna-happen wild war survival situation in my lifetime. This isn't a loving movie. I could walk outside my house and trip over the front steps and break my leg and that'd be it. I'm dead. No one will come to my aid. These people don't understand how much they truly rely on their community and services.

Other than the evangelicals hoping Israel brings back Jesus for them, I have a hard time believing the survival fetishists actually want society to collapse. Its all about role playing and buying fun toys to play with. Very few seem to ever have gone as far as camping at a primitive site, much less gone a week without their phone.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

community/social welfare/cooperation is like the greatest superpower humans have. it’s the whole reason we conquered the drat world! lone-survival fantasies are so loving dumb.

Buce fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 12, 2023

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

occurred to me i haven’t seen screenshots of the made up revenue sharing payments in a while, did that quietly end already?

the payout dates and intervals for musk’s handpicked recipients seemed completely arbitrary when they started going out a month or so ago, not on a the same weekly or monthly timeline for everyone, so i assume the chosen grifters would still be bragging about their five or six figure checks every week if it were still going on. anyone know?

I have Twitter revenue share for my business and it has consistently paid about $100-$200 every month right on the first of the month.

My assumption is they do actually have some kind of tracking and method to these things, but those giant payments influencers were asked to share were like bonuses handed out to get people to buy in.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sir Tonk posted:

Other than the evangelicals hoping Israel brings back Jesus for them, I have a hard time believing the survival fetishists actually want society to collapse. Its all about role playing and buying fun toys to play with. Very few seem to ever have gone as far as camping at a primitive site, much less gone a week without their phone.

100% true. I have all of this poo poo and it's really really fun to play with the stuff but I haven't even been camping in maybe a year or two. And I went full out upgrading last time because I was just tired of trying to tough it out in a tiny backpacking tent with expensive sleep pads on the ground when I could get a giant Coleman tent and a huge air mattress for cheaper at a car camping site.

edit: also I'm getting old and lazy(er)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 12, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

chud

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

If you don't see things in black and white, you're woke.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

this Frontline is so frustrating. the guy doing the interviews is doing that "neutral" journalist thing where they're afraid to be seen taking a stance and treat the right's insincere garbage as equally valid and important.

Isaacson is also complete moron. Seems like a true believer in Elon. I wonder if he always was or if it was Stockholm syndrome from being stuck with him for two years

Yoel Roth is the only one who gets any kind of pushback from the interviewer lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Sankis posted:

this Frontline is so frustrating. the guy doing the interviews is doing that "neutral" journalist thing where they're afraid to be seen taking a stance and treat the right's insincere garbage as equally valid and important.

Isaacson is also complete moron. Seems like a true believer in Elon. I wonder if he always was or if it was Stockholm syndrome from being stuck with him for two years

Yoel Roth is the only one who gets any kind of pushback from the interviewer lol

emperor's new clothes poo poo where journalists aren't pushing back against the naked king just sitting there naked in a chair

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
sparta was super gay and I hope elon venerates that too.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

temple posted:

battle buddies with benefits

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

loving arrow's pointing the wrong way.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Buce posted:

community/social welfare/cooperation is like the greatest superpower humans have. it’s the whole reason we conquered the drat world! lone-survival fantasies are so loving dumb.

my favourite thing to melt down preppers is reminding them that their resource hoard would just get them killed by the first 20 man group with good leadership to find out about it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

SRQ posted:

my favourite thing to melt down preppers is reminding them that their resource hoard would just get them killed by the first 20 man group with good leadership to find out about it.

How would they find out? I've only been posting pictures of it online and talking to other paranoid people about it. Oh, right. From when I went on the TV show.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

temple posted:

wasn't it not so much gay but super in to child loving? now i'm not saying elon would be in to sparta because of that but i'm just asking questions!!!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
All these Return To Tradition types should just go ahead and throw away their phones and computers and live in the woods already, gently caress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

—Man who spent forty billion dollars to ban one kid reporting on his jet

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

just wanted to say long form posts on twitter are so beautiful

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Apparently Xitter acted on the EU request. Or claims to have done at least.

quote:

In a letter posted to X (formerly known as Twitter) on Thursday morning, Linda "Yaccattac" Yaccarino said the social media site has “taken action to remove or label tens of thousands of pieces of content” that could include false information about the attacks in Israel.

“X is committed to serving the public conversation, especially in critical moments like this and understands the importance of addressing any illegal content that may be disseminated through the platform,” Yaccarino wrote. “There is no place on X for terrorist organizations or violent extremist groups and we continue to remove such accounts in real time, including proactive efforts.”

https://variety.com/2023/digital/global/x-twitter-israel-hamas-war-disinformation-linda-yaccarino-1235753186/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I assume only after the EU privately told them privately there would be Big Boy Consequences if they didn't. If they actually did anything at all, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

That's why she couldn't attend the WSJ thing, she was personally removing the content because they fired the mod team