Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have cookies disabled on YouTube and I never get any of these issues. (I don't use the site logged in, either, for obvious reasons.)

I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Vanrushal posted:

That's how it started for me too, then after a few days the popup had a timer before I could close and ignore it (although this could still be bypassed without waiting by making the video fullscreen), then it became a "you can watch x more videos before we cut you off" thing which ultimately got me to disable my blockers when I hit the limit. Don't be surprised if poo poo gradually gets more obnoxious.
Does private mode do basically the same thing?

I would like to have video watching history, but I'm not keen on paying Google a dime. I don't mind supporting the handful of creators I like via Patreon, but I'd rather give money to Nebula for the type of content I watch than youtube.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is youtube testing this out by region? I've haven't seen anything so far.

I read on reddit in the Firefox and uBlock subs, that the uBlock devs are telling people not to use their own filters as it gets in the way of what they're doing and they're constantly updating it at the moment to get around this poo poo.

quote:

If you are using ublock origin clear your cache and update plugin

A detailed guild can be found in the pinned post in r/ublockorigin subreddit.

Another comment said that if you're running YouTube enhancer to turn off its ad blocking as well. Just let uBlock handle everything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I haven't seen anything either. But I only watch 1 or 2 youtubes a day, maybe 3 at most. Are y'all who are getting blocked watching a lot more?

Also I have a housemate who allows ads, maybe google counts by IP address and they are saving me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nah, I'll go days without a single video, then maybe 2-3 a day... like maybe total 20 min-1hr or so tops.

Really spotty usage. Even now with my posting I literally haven't seen anything yet just a few seconds linked to videos from other threads which made me notice the issue.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you have a vpn and don’t want to fight in the Adblock wars, Indian YouTube Premium is like $1.50 a month.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

I haven't seen anything either. But I only watch 1 or 2 youtubes a day, maybe 3 at most. Are y'all who are getting blocked watching a lot more?

I watch a lot because I just have youtube running when I'm on my treadmill, so that's almost 2 hours a day of old music videos and random people showing off cool skills.

Not complaining - every day I don't have to worry about this poo poo is fine by me.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Atopian posted:

It's... interesting to see google decide to go up against the entire adblocking internet like this.

They pay for design and coding time from a few people, their collective enemy has a vast quantity of person-hours available for free.

Not difficult to see how it's going to go in the end.

Google is one of the biggest companies on earth and they make pretty much all of their money with ads, so this is part of their most important battle.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Peggotty posted:

Google is one of the biggest companies on earth and they make pretty much all of their money with ads, so this is part of their most important battle.

I’ve not seen any evidence of any change, I still block ads 100% of the time with no glitches on multiple OS including mobile (Brave browser on iOS).

There are easy options available to them considering they control the dominant browser and the dominant video platform - but they can be subject to reducing their own marketshare or getting done on antitrust grounds by the EU etc; go app only, or go Chrome only via some proprietary drm based ad injection.

Sky and Now TV make you install a windows app to playback their subscription TV service. It’s heavily secured, locked to a hardware profile, and is prone to breaking with antivirus software or anything else that might affect the DRM.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Peggotty posted:

They make most of their money selling your data.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

No. More than 80% of Alphabets revenue is from ads.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Peggotty posted:

No. More than 80% of Alphabets revenue is from ads.

They’re one and the same thing, they use your data to better target and sell ads, which is mostly why companies collect your data.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes, obviously. The point is that they make most of their money with ads, that's why fighting ad blocking is important to them. "They make money selling data" is not a counter-argument to that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't know what Mozilla did but I updated my Firefox and now I'm getting flashbanged by new tabs before the page loads in.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

wooger posted:

They’re one and the same thing, they use your data to better target and sell ads, which is mostly why companies collect your data.

Yeah but they're selling ads not your data

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i haven't gotten the mad at adblocker wall and am curious what the A/B test segmenting is that makes me not get it. i figure usually the answer is "desktop linux" since that puts me in such a tiny minority that most tests just exclude it because they don't care and it'd just add one more variable to their metrics. we have to wait for https://www.techemails.com/ or similar to cough up the internal deets whenever they inevitably pop up in discovery

it looks like they've been trying to gently caress with yt-dlp again too; it's once again mired in some issue where it gets throttled because ~why on earth would anyone ever want to access the world's largest trove of video content through anything other than the official player designed by the content provider (that conveniently ensures all the ad widgets run correctly)~

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The throttling with yt-dlp is usually because YouTube changed the JS and they need to update their thing to parse it and get a needed token to unlocks full speed.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Got this twice today but you can just click the x to close it and keep playing : I got ubo and sponsorblock.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I finally got it too. What I find interesting is that I use ReVanced on my phone and the Kodi YouTube player and neither of those have an issue and I assume never will, so hopefully in the long run this won't really make much of a difference to me.

Well, until Google go full on evil and force the use of Chrome or something.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

phosdex posted:

Got this twice today but you can just click the x to close it and keep playing : I got ubo and sponsorblock.
I got this once, closed it, then purged caches + update filters in the filter list tab on the ubo dashboard.

Seemed to fix the issue.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I got this once, closed it, then purged caches + update filters in the filter list tab on the ubo dashboard.

Seemed to fix the issue.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
How would I turn this grayed out box off?

Clicking on Learn More just goers to a placeholder page (just says Placeholder 1848710)

Firefox Nightly 120.0a1

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wee posted:

Clicking on Learn More just goers to a placeholder page (just says Placeholder 1848710)

Firefox Nightly 120.0a1

You have the whole category turned off, so none of the sub-categories do anything.

If you want the aesthetic value of that box being unchecked, turn on the top box to make the rest interactive, turn that one off, then turn off the top one again.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

You have the whole category turned off, so none of the sub-categories do anything.

If you want the aesthetic value of that box being unchecked, turn on the top box to make the rest interactive, turn that one off, then turn off the top one again.

Yeah, I've tried that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wee posted:

Yeah, I've tried that.

In that case it may be a new thing that's enabled on Nightly, and can't be disabled because they're bug testing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ojjeorago posted:

If you have a vpn and don’t want to fight in the Adblock wars, Indian YouTube Premium is like $1.50 a month.

i perfer giving $15 to ublock than $1.5 to google tbh

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

Wee posted:

Firefox Nightly 120.0a1

Found this on Betterfox:
code:
browser.urlbar.suggest.trending

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Truga posted:

i perfer giving $15 to ublock than $1.5 to google tbh
100% agree. Not even close.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh there we go!

Just closing the window for now works though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Go into your uBlock Origin settings, click Purge all caches while HOLDING SHIFT, then click Update now. Make sure you turn off anything else that may be trying to block ads like any YouTube addons.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

Go into your uBlock Origin settings, click Purge all caches while HOLDING SHIFT, then click Update now. Make sure you turn off anything else that may be trying to block ads like any YouTube addons.
What does holding shift achieve?

Can confirm the rest works, though - just like it did about 12 hours ago.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What does holding shift achieve?

Can confirm the rest works, though - just like it did about 12 hours ago.

quote:

Clicking this button with Shift (version before 1.34 required also Ctrl) pressed will remove all locally cached content of filter lists, which will force uBO to rebuild all of its databases from the beginning.

It basically forces a full database rebuild. Useful for troubleshooting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

It basically forces a full database rebuild. Useful for troubleshooting.
Oh, that is quite handy.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Edit: wrong thread

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So far I've had to update my filters every morning since the blocking attempts have started. When the anti-block gets through, Youtube won't let me close the window anymore, but element zapper takes care of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Gotta say, element zapper remains the most useful and hilarious thing I've ever used in Firefox.

So many annoying overlays and full video ads and windows and all that poo poo. Just one click and :byewhore:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's so good
i clicked a couple things on fandom and it looks like a wiki now, instead of being full of cookie popups and youtube embeds. i still avoid it when i can but some wikis are slow to move

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

slidebite posted:

I've been away for a while and just tried YT with the same issue about blocker detected.

I just X the pop up that detected the blocker message and reloading the page seems to work.

Stupid question, but how is the FF browser for android? Does it allow plug ins like ublock?

I've been using duck duck go with mixed satisfaction for general browsing.

In addition to what mobby said, Mozilla shows limited signs of caring about the Android app. The limited extension support was supposed to get better, but it's been years. There are silly issues like the tab list losing its place for reasons of varying opacity. And some other apps that open a browser window automatically will do weird poo poo, like not recognize that you've done whatever you were asked to do. But it generally works fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Gotta say, element zapper remains the most useful and hilarious thing I've ever used in Firefox.

So many annoying overlays and full video ads and windows and all that poo poo. Just one click and :byewhore:

Link for that? Searching for "Element Zapper" I'm not finding anything with that exact name.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In addition to what mobby said, Mozilla shows limited signs of caring about the Android app. The limited extension support was supposed to get better, but it's been years. There are silly issues like the tab list losing its place for reasons of varying opacity. And some other apps that open a browser window automatically will do weird poo poo, like not recognize that you've done whatever you were asked to do. But it generally works fine.
Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

slidebite posted:

Link for that? Searching for "Element Zapper" I'm not finding anything with that exact name.
uBlock Origin's element picker