Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Janus Contemporaries’ first releases announced. Coming in October

EO
No Bears
The Innocent

https://www.criterion.com/janus-contemporaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Is Demonlover any good on the channel?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it kinda slaps and is scarily prescient

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tesh posted:

Yes, yes it is. I went straight from high school that afternoon to the (completely empty) mall to watch it, because drat it apparently nothing was going to ruin my plans that day

was hoping you had a collection of 9/11 ticket stubs

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If I haven't seen any Ozu, can I just start anywhere, or should I go chronologically? I know some films are thematically linked but not exactly sequels, and there's two versions of Floating Weeds. Is there a recommended film as an introduction?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

If I haven't seen any Ozu, can I just start anywhere, or should I go chronologically? I know some films are thematically linked but not exactly sequels, and there's two versions of Floating Weeds. Is there a recommended film as an introduction?

Tokyo Story probably, but Good Morning is really fun. It's not every day you have a film from the 50s that's mostly centered on young boys farting and making GBS threads their pants to impress each other.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Origami Dali posted:

I don’t think you can go chronologically, I thought some of his early movies were lost. Because of the war.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I watched Tokyo Story recently and it felt pretty timeless. 80 years later and kids still want space from their parents.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Holy gently caress Targets is really, really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

Holy gently caress Targets is really, really good.

Yeah, I don’t know why it isn’t held in higher esteem in horror circles. It’s awesome.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I don’t know why it isn’t held in higher esteem in horror circles. It’s awesome.

I got introduced to it via the forbidden forums back in 2002, and yeah, Karloff knocks it out of the park.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s good that Karloff got to give a great high profile late career performance.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Well, I'm watching it now thanks to this thread. :hellyeah:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

I got introduced to it via the forbidden forums back in 2002, and yeah, Karloff knocks it out of the park.

I watched it after reading Shock Value by Jason Zinoman. He talks about how it was made and it’s place in horror film history for a chapter.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Targets is super good I only watched it for the first time a couple weeks back and I loved it

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Any recs from the hip hop collection on the channel

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

checkplease posted:

I liked both Deep Cover and Paid in Full.

Origami Dali posted:

The Only Son is a good one from his early years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deep Cover and Ghost Dog rule

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fear of a Black Hat is hilarious

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

I had a great time with the Freestyle documentary. It’s partly cuz it’s a specific time and place, but it goes into the art and battles of freestyle, has a lot of talent in it, and it’s short. It’s a little cheap looking, but it feels raw in a cool way.

Seconding Deep Cover and Ghost Dog recs.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The November Janus Contemporaries releases:

Godland
The Eight Mountains
Tori and Lokita

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1694742236510970182?s=20

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

checkplease posted:

Wild Style, Style Wars, Krush Groove and the ATCQ doc are all worth checking out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently the rights to The Fall are with Tarsem Singh now and he offered it to Criterion, but they're not interested.

Odd choice as it's out of print and would be a perfect UHD (even had an early 4K DI), but hopefully Arrow or Shout picks it up.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently the rights to The Fall are with Tarsem Singh now and he offered it to Criterion, but they're not interested.

Odd choice as it's out of print and would be a perfect UHD (even had an early 4K DI), but hopefully Arrow or Shout picks it up.

The fall and the cell while maybe not amazing films script-wise, are still incredibly cool from a visual standpoint. I think some other label will go for it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Egbert Souse posted:

Seems short sighted, isn't Lee Pace everyone's favourite hot gay daddy?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Fall owns, big L from Criterion

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Escobarbarian posted:

The Fall owns, big L from Criterion

As much as I'd like to see Criterion take a run at a movie like that, you just never know what the behind the scenes deal is. My guess: Tarsem either doesn't have all the rights he thinks he does or he's being a prick about his fee.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 29, 2023

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cacator posted:

Seems short sighted, isn't Lee Pace everyone's favourite hot gay daddy?

He's one of the more legitimate choices in that he's actually queer but he'll never beat david harbour and rahul kohli

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Watched a couple of the 70's Car movies with my mom on the weekend. Both agreed The Cars That Are Paris was completely bizarre and a lot of fun, and while she liked Dirty Mary Crazy Larry more than White Lightning, we both loved the ending to the Burt one.

The Seven-Ups is a petty good follow-on to The French Connection, deffo worth a look.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Going through some old stuff and found my old 50 years of Janus essential art house set. I've never gotten around to watching most of it. Is this something I should bother to list on SA-mart/facebook marketplace, or are these DVDs pretty much worthless now that everything is either blu-ray or streaming?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

trevorreznik posted:

Going through some old stuff and found my old 50 years of Janus essential art house set. I've never gotten around to watching most of it. Is this something I should bother to list on SA-mart/facebook marketplace, or are these DVDs pretty much worthless now that everything is either blu-ray or streaming?

I was able to sell a lot of DVDs via Facebook collector’s buy/sell groups, there is definitely still a market for them. Even for movies that have gotten blu/4K upgrades. Not so much in SA-Mart though in my experience, although there may be interest in something unique like that set.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
DVDs are still the highest selling physical format available. There’s definitely a market for it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Cool, thanks. I'm surprised to hear that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Criterion UK releases are back! This time including UHDs! After Hours and a Todd Browning set in Oct, One False Move and The Last Picture Show in Nov.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nice to see more streaming releases:

https://www.criterion.com/films/33828-guillermo-del-toros-pinocchio

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Seems like we're getting three December physical releases, too, including Del Toro's Pinocchio. The other two are Allen Baron's Blast of Silence and "The Red Balloon and Other Stories", a five-film collection of Albert Lamorisse.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’m only 5 films into the Varda set and it’s already won me over, so glad I picked this up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

I’m only 5 films into the Varda set and it’s already won me over, so glad I picked this up.

Low key the best big box from Criterion so far.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's such a good set, I've also only made it thru about 5-6 films and am already loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finally got around to watching Housemaid on the channel, what an absolutely fascinating picture. Male anxiety about getting put in the same position as women, class anxiety about losing your status, and all the various social anxieties of being trapped with someone else who doesn’t obey the “right” code of conduct. Everyone is kind of a monster, but in such different and interesting ways. Just top-tier across the board.