Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Squidster posted:

by god those mecha rule.

The fight against the invisible mechs was great, and that one guy using every bit of liquid metal he had to snipe from miles away.

Now I want to rewatch Escaflowne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

I ended up signing up for a free trial of Funimation to rewatch Escaflowne recently because I couldn't find it on any other platforms. Didn't keep the subscription since I already have a Crunchyroll account and there wasn't anything else on Funimation that I wanted to watch that wasn't also on another service I have.

Escaflowne owns.

impossiboobs has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Oct 9, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It sucks that all relevant clips of that show have been scrubbed from Youtube, leaving only Korn AMVs in 240p. Escaflowne ruined me for other mecha shows; there was such a physicality and weight to the machines that is rarely captured in animation. Escaflowne made sure to keep a consistent scale to the mecha, and kept them grounded in their environments; knocking over trees, gingerly stepping past buildings, bridges straining under their weight etc..

Some of the Gundams like 08 MS Team had a similar feel, but it's rare for giant robots to feel appropriately heavy and cumbersome. The Patlabor movies absolutely ruled with their depiction of crunchy, clumsy mecha. Though speaking of aging badly? Oof, Ohta buddy. The trigger-happy cop with anger issues is a lot less comedic than it used to be..

I do want to recommend the redundantly named 86: Eighty Six if you want decent modern mecha action! The designers stepped away from bipedal machines in favour of Tachikoma-inspired insectoid coffins, and it rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY4bo1P8RBc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zoids comes to mind when it comes to mecha that have weight and momentum, even if the writing and premise is generally nothing to write home about. New Century IMO has aged better despite being basically a sports anime. Or maybe because of such. Especially impressive given it's 90s CGI, but the designs actually work, with the sound design probably being the unsung hero.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Zoids comes to mind when it comes to mecha that have weight and momentum, even if the writing and premise is generally nothing to write home about. New Century IMO has aged better despite being basically a sports anime. Or maybe because of such. Especially impressive given it's 90s CGI, but the designs actually work, with the sound design probably being the unsung hero.

Oh man I was massively into the Zoids toys in the mid 80s but I'd moved on by the time the anime came out in '99. I still tried to watch it out of nostalgia but the only version available here in Australia were lovely PAL VHS releases which only had a handful of episodes per tape, and the stores in my city were really badly stocked so I think I only ever found around half the episodes.

Back in the 80s when I was still a huge fan pretty much the only media I had available was the ZOIDS: THE BATTLE BEGINS computer game for my Amstrad 6128. I had this exact version on cassette:

I was only about 12 years old at the time and it was pretty much completely unplayable at that age, I never got the hang of it. :( Just look at this horrible poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8mu-rjtQSA
I guess it's not media that didn't age well, it's media that sucked right out of the gate.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Squidster posted:

Gundams like 08 MS Team

now that's a series i haven't heard in forever. i'm not a huge gundam fan, but 08 MS Team and G Gundam were the only two i remember actually enjoying

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gundam Build Fighters has a bizarre amount of physicality in its fight scenes despite it being the meta Gundam series where people battle it out using literal toy Gundams powered by sci-fi magic particles. Kickass series too, one of the best Gundam shows out there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ibblebibble posted:

Gundam Build Fighters has a bizarre amount of physicality in its fight scenes despite it being the meta Gundam series where people battle it out using literal toy Gundams powered by sci-fi magic particles. Kickass series too, one of the best Gundam shows out there.

The first build fighters series is legit one of my top gundam series for sure. The plot is really silly, but it's decent enough that a few friends of mine who don't really care much for mecha stuff or gundam in specific enjoyed it still when we did a group watch thing. I don't even really know why I didn't like the sequel as much, but I just bounced right off of it. At the time I just kind of dismissed it as "taking its self too seriously" but that wasn't even it, really. The bigger problem was that nothing about it hooked me in the way I was on board with build fighters from like, minute one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much anything about the military post 9/11 and about the time we realized oh yeah there were no WMD in Iraq and tons of soldiers died for poppy fields. But the movies are always "rah rah protecting freedoms!" so it is loving weird to watch now.

poo poo, the Chicks never ever came back from disagreeing with Bush and his poo poo.

edit: fixed their name as I did not realize they had changed it.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Oct 10, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to them as The Chicks

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Spazzle posted:

Ghostbusters basically implied that supernatural events are more like natural disasters like drought, earthquakes, or hurricanes, in that they are rare but high impact. The Ghostbusters business model was more one of pest control where they assumed an ongoing problem. Its not crazy they would go out of business between events.
Given how front and center the economics of Ghostbusters are in the movie, if that's the case (rare, very bad events) they should have sold ghost insurance.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Oct 12, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Given how front and center the economics of Ghostbusters are in the movie, if that's the case (rare, very bad events) they should have sold ghost insurance.

If you think about it, Michael J. Fox in The Frighteners had a lot more sustainable ghost based business model.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It does come up implicitly in the movies and some other adaptations that the Ghostbusters ended up showing up during a major supernatural event and business died down pretty hard once it was resolved, and the sequel usually involves a new triggering event that gets them to reform in some manner.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wasn't the triggering event in Ghostbusters 1 because of the Ghostbusters?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Why did the judge in 2 act like there was no such thing as the supernatural when everyone saw a vortex open up in the sky and a giant marshmallow man walking around Manhattan in the first one?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

Wasn't the triggering event in Ghostbusters 1 because of the Ghostbusters?

No, the whole thing is supernatural events traced back the apartment building Dana lives in being built as basically a massive altar for an apocalyptic summoning.

grittyreboot posted:

Why did the judge in 2 act like there was no such thing as the supernatural when everyone saw a vortex open up in the sky and a giant marshmallow man walking around Manhattan in the first one?

This has never been more believable in the 'post-covid' era.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

grittyreboot posted:

Ontological shock is hard to overcome. Look at what's happening the US right now with UAPs and people refusing to even acknowledge it.

We live on a thin membrane of reality beyond which is a vast universe we can't comprehend. That's hard for people, even Judges, to accept.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I've got bad news for you about what some people believe happened on 9/11.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

Fake News

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I can easily imagine some Alex Jones guy scoffing about a bunch of crisis actors running around screamimg about a giant marshmallow man.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How long did the Marshmallow man exist for anyways? 5, 10 minutes tops?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does come up implicitly in the movies and some other adaptations that the Ghostbusters ended up showing up during a major supernatural event and business died down pretty hard once it was resolved, and the sequel usually involves a new triggering event that gets them to reform in some manner.

In the Afterlife movie, when Ray is explaining what happened between GB2 and the present, he says something to the tune of "Venkman's theory was that we were too good at our jobs and there just weren't any ghosts left to bust."

grittyreboot posted:

Even in the first one, when Peck was accusing the ghostbusters of being frauds, he was accusing them of releasing hallucinogens into the air to make people think they were seeing ghosts. And the damage to the city was because they were operating a bunch of unlicensed nuclear stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PriorMarcus posted:

Ontological shock is hard to overcome. Look at what's happening the US right now with UAPs and people refusing to even acknowledge it.

We live on a thin membrane of reality beyond which is a vast universe we can't comprehend. That's hard for people, even Judges, to accept.
Oh my god please tell me your interpretation of "what's happening in the US right now with UAPs" :allears:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Splicer posted:

Oh my god please tell me your interpretation of "what's happening in the US right now with UAPs" :allears:

"First you're going to need a shot or two to prepare yourself..."

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

8one6 posted:

"First you're going to need a shot or two to prepare yourself..."

I love that Dan Ackroyd is, and always has been even back in his SNL days, a deeply weird aficionado of ghosts and aliens and poo poo, and Ghostbusters was just a natural outgrowth of that.

Did he ever espouse any, you know, hateful Alex Jones dipshit conspiracy theory beliefs, or has he stuck to the fun harmless conspiracy theories?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Asterite34 posted:

I love that Dan Ackroyd is, and always has been even back in his SNL days, a deeply weird aficionado of ghosts and aliens and poo poo, and Ghostbusters was just a natural outgrowth of that.

Did he ever espouse any, you know, hateful Alex Jones dipshit conspiracy theory beliefs, or has he stuck to the fun harmless conspiracy theories?

Not at all. The closest he ever got was saying that Aliens would of made contact by now if not for events like 9/11 convincing them we aren't worth bothering with and that's miles away from anyone Alex Jones says.

In fact, Ackroyd is a pretty sound guy in general, he's big into mental health awareness and thinks all the other comedians are moaning about cancel culture because they use hurtful comedy for a lazy joke.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Asterite34 posted:

I'm not aware of any weird bigot poo poo or blaming aliens on the jews or anything like that. Just a dude deeply invested in the paranormal from a family that was deeply invested in the paranormal.

His dad wrote a book on the history of ghosts and mediums based on the notes of his grandfather Samuel Augustus Ackroyd DDS, a dentist and old timey paranormal investigator.

(the book is a bit dry but there are a few seeds of things that get mentioned like the Sedgewick family that obviously made it into Dan's later work.)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Hell, Ray specifically calls it out in GB2 when the yuppie kids call them frauds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't know what "UAP" meant so I googled it and I still can't believe 20 years later that the song Aliens Exist wasn't sarcasm

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yda38oRlEfM

For real, it ends with the lines

quote:

And I know it must be late
Been gone since yesterday
I'm not like you guys
Twelve majestic lies

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Not at all. The closest he ever got was saying that Aliens would of made contact by now if not for events like 9/11 convincing them we aren't worth bothering with and that's miles away from anyone Alex Jones says.

In fact, Ackroyd is a pretty sound guy in general, he's big into mental health awareness and thinks all the other comedians are moaning about cancel culture because they use hurtful comedy for a lazy joke.

Yeah, everything I've seen of Aykroyd indicates he's a kooky fellow with a good head on his shoulders, as odd as it sounds. Like, when he pitched super insane ideas for Ghostbusters movie (Ghostbusters III would have been Ghostbusters in Hell if he'd had his way), other people would tell him that poo poo was too weird and his response was always "Okay, no worries. Let's do something else, then."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Yeah, everything I've seen of Aykroyd indicates he's a kooky fellow with a good head on his shoulders, as odd as it sounds. Like, when he pitched super insane ideas for Ghostbusters movie (Ghostbusters III would have been Ghostbusters in Hell if he'd had his way), other people would tell him that poo poo was too weird and his response was always "Okay, no worries. Let's do something else, then."

And when there was no one to tell him no, we got Nothing But Trouble. Make of that what you will. (Personally I'm in the "I don't ever want to see this again but I'm so glad it exists" camp)

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I seem to recall that Roland Emmerich also sort of believes that Stargate is essentially a documentary much the way that Akroyd does Ghostbusters.
I don't know too much about Emmerich but I do seem to recall hearing he went to bat for Will Smith as the lead in Independence Day when the studio was adamant against a black lead, so good on him for that - assuming it's true. ID4 and Stargate both rock. Too bad basically everything he did after them is trash.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"You guys, we're casting a Black lead. Quit being loving ridiculous."

"Fair enough. Perhaps we were being shortsighted."

"I'll say. Black or white, what difference does it make when we're all progeny of the humans enslaved by the Ancient Aliens to build their great pyramid ships? This kind of petty division will prevent us from getting out this important message before the aliens' inevitable and deadly return."

"...f- fair enough..."

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Ontological shock is hard to overcome. Look at what's happening in US right now with UAPs and people refusing to even acknowledge it.

I imagine that even if people were witness to some 'high strangeness' like, say, a giant apocalyptic marshmallow man appearing in New York, they wouldn't really believe what they saw. They'd believe that they saw something impossible, but that would be interpreted through mental frameworks like religion and pseudoscience.

Two days after the Ghostbusters save the world, some television preacher is going to declare that it was actually the work of Satan and spout something inane. The rest of the world tries to just ignore it by saying that something went down in Manhatten, but nobody is sure what it was. And with nothing ever happening on the same apocalyptic scale again, it just becomes a weird part of history but it certainly doesn't prove the existence of ghosts or an afterlife.

Also, your post makes me think it's a bloody shame we never got some UFOs in Ghostbusters. I want to see their take on a story like Skinwalker Ranch!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Eh, probably just a publicity stunt." - Every New Yorker at least once in their life.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mr. Grapes! posted:

^

But Brad Pitt "does stuff" too. I suppose if we're going with the Marla is imaginary theory then it is Ed Norton stealing from Meals on Wheels, the same way it is Ed Norton who is actually running Project Mayhem because Brad Pitt's not real.

I haven't seen it since it was new though.

So I haven’t read it but apparently there are sequels where they're married and maybe have a kid?

So its an interesting idea but apparently not Chuck Palulanduck canon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PriorMarcus posted:

Wasn't there a line in 2 about the Ghostbusters being reviled by a large portion of NY that being believed they were conmen that took advantage of a mass hysteria incident? Or was that just in the novelization.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I didn't know what "UAP" meant so I googled it and I still can't believe 20 years later that the song Aliens Exist wasn't sarcasm

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yda38oRlEfM

For real, it ends with the lines

Oh yeah nah, Tom DeLonge has famously always been a huge 90s alien truther. I'm sure he also probably got enough poo poo about it that he was fine joking around with it, but he's been giving interviews about it for years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/science/tom-delonge-ufo-research.html
https://www.history.com/shows/unidentified-inside-americas-ufo-investigation/cast/tom-delonge

'Twelve majestic lies' is straight up poo poo taken directly from that whole Art Bell crowd. Where X-Files drew like 90% of its inspiration from.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Internet Old One posted:

So I haven’t read it but apparently there are sequels where they're married and maybe have a kid?

So its an interesting idea but apparently not Chuck Palulanduck canon.

There's at least 2 comic sequels, I haven't read either of them, but I know the first one ends with Tyler shooting Chuck in the head.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wasn't there a line in 2 about the Ghostbusters being reviled by a large portion of NY that being believed they were conmen that took advantage of a mass hysteria incident? Or was that just in the novelization.

Yeah, I think early into 2 it gets mentioned that the Ghostbusters were sued by New York for all the damages that were caused and that's why they weren't allowed to bust ghosts anymore until the one judge overrules the decision during the courthouse scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Eh, probably just a publicity stunt." - Every New Yorker at least once in their life.

Reminds me of when I lived on Long Island and took the train in to attend NYU. I come up from the subway one day and see all these soldiers milling about, and holy poo poo is that a tank?! WTF is going on? I asked a stranger (who looked totally unfazed) while we were waiting at the crosswalk.

"Oh, they're shooting that Godzilla movie a couple blocks over." (Speaking of Emmerich!)