Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

talked to my parents who are MSNBC/NPR libs about the war

they live in an area with a decent size arab/palestinian population.

I've argued with them about the Ukraine war but they have very little sympathy for Israel in this war. They are some of the few liberals who probably identify Ukraine and Palestine as sort of the same cause, as small countries fighting off a larger invader.

on the "40 beheaded babies" thing my mom started talking about how we know from mass shootings in the US that when an assault rifle shoots a child their body can be ripped apart. So it's not surprising children killed in the crossfire are horrific to see.

It's anecdotal but I thought it was interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Has someone done the Photoshop of the Batman 40 cakes page yet

40 babies is as many as 4 tens. And that's terrible.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Gripweed posted:

It would be very strange, from a basic human nature standpoint, if Israel and the US invaded Iran, blew up their buildings, sent troops into their homes, and the reaction from the general Iranian population was, "yeah fair point we didn't like the current president very much".

I mean, a lot of people really hated Trump. But if China invaded I think most of them would have discovered they are more pro-Trump than they are pro-their nation being invaded

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

(newsman voice) hamas is holding more than 100 hostages [panning over walled in city of 2 million, where nobody can leave, being indiscriminately bombed]

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
i need my paraglider to defend my family against 30-50 feral babies

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

were these babies vaxxed?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Honky Mao posted:

lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Atrocious Joe posted:

on the "40 beheaded babies" thing my mom started talking about how we know from mass shootings in the US that when an assault rifle shoots a child their body can be ripped apart. So it's not surprising children killed in the crossfire are horrific to see.

glad we cleared up that particular misunderstanding

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Homeless Friend posted:

(newsman voice) hamas is holding more than 100 hostages [panning over walled in city of 2 million, where nobody can leave, being indiscriminately bombed]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

anti natalist goons: how da gently caress are there 40 babies

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Anyone who believed the 40 babies bullshit should get a lobotomy and shut up forever.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
The death roll in Gaza is now at 1400, after just 5 days. This is so much worse than 2021 or 2014.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Typo posted:

glad we cleared up that particular misunderstanding

stfu

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

yup. they walked back the beheading part, so all the Israel boosters go "but 40 babies were still murdered, just not through beheading" and it then becomes doubtful that even "40 babies were murdered" is true because how the gently caress are there 40 babies in a town of 400 and they're like, all in one place, and then the Hamas fighters took time out of their operation to do it?

What was the death toll at the village? This would also seem to imply that Hamas was going around rounding up/singling out infants and the adult population of the village let them do it.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Put this in the OP please

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

Anyone who believed the 40 babies bullshit should get a lobotomy and shut up forever.

i think it was 80

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It would be very strange, from a basic human nature standpoint, if Israel and the US invaded Iran, blew up their buildings, sent troops into their homes, and the reaction from the general Iranian population was, "yeah fair point we didn't like the current president very much".

I mean, a lot of people really hated Trump. But if China invaded I think most of them would have discovered they are more pro-Trump than they are pro-their nation being invaded

trying to subvert the various Iranian factions away from just being anti-theocracy and into a general pro-neoliberal one, is what the CIA is all about. Nice internal issue you got there, would be a real shame if we absolutely hosed up your country and forced you to take an IMF loan about it. Haha people are starving in the streets now but you have mcdonalds!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they were really smart babies and they lived alone in the village

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I guess it depends, when the USSR and the UK invaded Iran to overthrow the shah, most of the population was like, "eh, gently caress that guy".

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

ali baby and the 40 heads

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I cannot believe Hamas sent 400 babies to Russia to be used as artillery to be fired into Kyiv.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

iunno seem like pretty dumb babies in retrospect

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I cannot believe Hamas sent 400 babies to Russia to be used as artillery to be fired into Kyiv.

What the gently caress is a Kyiv? Sounds boring

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hatebag posted:

ali baby and the 40 heads

lol

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Imagine forty baby heads on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the head nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of heads and takes the place of the first head. The formerly first head becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. The Israel/Palestine conflict works the same way.

a jewish kids asks his dad for 10 baby heads, his dad says 20 baby heads? what do you need 40 baby heads for?

Maed has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Oct 12, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Look Who's Talking reboot

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
CNN report: Hamas and Isis were beheading a 5x8 grid of babies and I saw the babies and one of the babies smiled at me

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Honky Mao posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
one of those array guns but its babies

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Atrocious Joe posted:

They are some of the few liberals who probably identify Ukraine and Palestine as sort of the same cause, as small countries fighting off a larger invader.

this set of opinions seems weird in this forum but in real life it’s the overwhelmingly dominant one I encounter among young “progressives,” ie people under 45 who voted for Bernie. these people are to the “left” of Warren but to the “right” of CSPAM. I would guess at least half (and probably more than half) of DSA has this opinion.

sure, can’t do leftism in the imperial core etc. but I’m just speaking descriptively here, not prescriptively, and this is probably the modal position on U/R and I/P among the people most demographically similar to CSPAM’s userbase - it’s not an unusual set of opinions at all even if it seems bizarre to posters here.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Apparently my cousin who is Baha'i and currently in Haifa had an opportunity to leave but decided to stay. Incredibly stupid decision

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

sullat posted:

I guess it depends, when the USSR and the UK invaded Iran to overthrow the shah, most of the population was like, "eh, gently caress that guy".

the Soviets and the British at least put a member of the previous ruling dynasty on the throne so there was some degree of legitimacy to the new government

Iran isn't a monarchy anymore so that particular trick isn't do-able anymore

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this set of opinions seems weird in this forum but in real life it’s the overwhelmingly dominant one I encounter among young “progressives,” ie people under 45 who voted for Bernie. these people are to the “left” of Warren but to the “right” of CSPAM. I would guess at least half (and probably more than half) of DSA has this opinion.

sure, can’t do leftism in the imperial core etc. but I’m just speaking descriptively here, not prescriptively, and this is probably the modal position on U/R and I/P among the people most demographically similar to CSPAM’s userbase - it’s not an unusual set of opinions at all even if it seems bizarre to posters here.
nothing bizarre about it, nobody in america even knew ukraine existed until hunter's laptop got found there so it was easy to spin a sob story out of nowhere, whereas israel's ongoing genocide has been common knowledge for decades, even if it's ignored 99% of the time

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Strep Vote posted:

They should be banned from discussing this poo poo at all on SA, they're too stupid and racist to be allowed to take part.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

They are credulous. They do not understand the logic of Imperialism. They think the arguments in favor of this or that imperial policy are sincere, and they point out the contradictions as if our leaders are unaware.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

latchkey babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

thotsky posted:

lol no, I would bet anything more people become radicalized from going through a traumatic event than from being persuaded by another person.

Red bags