Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bondematt posted:

Only Nvidia 4000 series support it.

Intel discrete graphics has AV1 encoders, but I don't know if it supports it for VR.

Not a clue on AMD side.

vdesktop doesn't support it on intel, not enough users according to the dev on reddit plus "Intel GPUs have trouble in a lot of PCVR games"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's everybody's VR game they play the most right now?

I pretty much always go for pistol whip.

(I'm looking to branch out by seeing what you guys like)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

spacetoaster posted:

Into the Radius. Typically with the Stalker Overhaul mod.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Quest Pro doesn't have it.

What it does have is a bunch of unused features on its controllers.

https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/1589909111906668544

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

spacetoaster posted:

A lot of modded Beat Saber, and I also recently fired up the VR version of Payday 2 and it's been really neat stepping into maps I'm very familiar with from flatscreen. Given how janky its engine could be, I was worried about VR but it's been a solid implementation thus far.

Speaking of Pistol Whip though, does anyone have a referral code for it? Been meaning to try that one out

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Oh cool, I just upgraded to a 4070 earlier this year - but is AV1 only on Quest Pro?

2nd gen xr2 only. Qpro has first gen xr2+

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I think I read earlier in the thread that different versions of the Quest can live on the same account and share your library of games? I was thinking of just giving my Quest 2 to my partner once the new one arrives, but just wanted to verify there aren't any sort of restrictions where we'd be stepping on eachothers toes trying to play at the same time or whatever.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's how my partner and I play mini golf together. My account is on both headsets (Q1 and Q2), but we log in and play fine so far.

We're not super adventurous about pushing the boundaries though. We just play mini golf and it works.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Man this is such a step up from my Rift S. I'm glad I waited to skip that generation. The airlink stuff works so nice and smooth too, which is good considering that my entire VR catalog is on Steam.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

spacetoaster posted:

Beat Saber
Until you Fall

Thats it atm outside of some random test builds of poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

walkabout mini golf

played this a little last night and it was a good suggestion, thanks

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I basically only use my vr to play walkabout once a week with friends. All the DLC courses are worth buying.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the reason eleven table tennis is so good to me is that the physics are so solid you can just use actual real life muscle memory and it works instantly, barely feels like you're playing a virtual game at all (it also benefits from keeping you around one specific location and not really having to move very much or shift your perspective at all)

also the mixed reality feature is kinda neat, though the AI opponent kept being embedded in a wall where i was playing and did weird things to my depth perception

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 12, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

spacetoaster posted:

Half-life (Lambda1) standalone
Half-life 2 PCVR

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wintermutant posted:

A lot of modded Beat Saber, and I also recently fired up the VR version of Payday 2 and it's been really neat stepping into maps I'm very familiar with from flatscreen. Given how janky its engine could be, I was worried about VR but it's been a solid implementation thus far.

Speaking of Pistol Whip though, does anyone have a referral code for it? Been meaning to try that one out

I have it but have never done a referral. Do I just pm you my link?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

I have it but have never done a referral. Do I just pm you my link?

I believe so, yeah (but I haven't actually messed with them before either)

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Red Matter 2 looks outstanding on the Quest 3, man they did a great job, especially on the environment. Runs incredibly smoothly and at a high resolution.

The only bits that look average are some of the props, foliage in particular.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Wintermutant posted:

I believe so, yeah (but I haven't actually messed with them before either)

https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/beastie_bomber/

Have at it, chum. I have a fair amount of games because I basically gave in to my nephews whims when they wanted to try something new.

Editing in my games:

Into the Radius
Thrill of the Fight
Walkabout MiniGolf
Carve
Gorn
Pistol Whip
Robo Recall
Climb 2
Bonelab
Onward
Contractors
RE4
MoH
Virtual Virtual Reality
Vox Machina
Tetris Effect
Breachers
Interkosmos 2000
Golf+
Espire 1 and 2

I typed this with passthrough on!

Beastie fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 12, 2023

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like that link just works for a headset referral, actually. For app-specific referrals, you have to go to the game in your library, then the triple-dot menu will give you an option to create a referral link for the app

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Wintermutant posted:

Looks like that link just works for a headset referral, actually. For app-specific referrals, you have to go to the game in your library, then the triple-dot menu will give you an option to create a referral link for the app

Shoot. It only lets me share it on FB, and I decoupled my Meta account long ago. Sorry.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

Shoot. It only lets me share it on FB, and I decoupled my Meta account long ago. Sorry.

No worries, thanks anyhow!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

repiv posted:

AMD has AV1 encode starting from the RX7000 series (RDNA3)

AMD HEVC 10-bit has, like, 4ms encode time in Virtual Desktop.
AMD AV1 10-bit has 50ms encode time.

No clue why the AV1 encode time is so messed up. AMD has had AV1 problems in its drivers "Known Issues" for a while now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Apparently I'm unable to accept any referrals. Sad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

the reason eleven table tennis is so good to me is that the physics are so solid you can just use actual real life muscle memory and it works instantly, barely feels like you're playing a virtual game at all (it also benefits from keeping you around one specific location and not really having to move very much or shift your perspective at all)

My bf plays IRL ping pong constantly and he swears ETT is off just enough to be making him worse. He still plays ETT constantly though, like at least 5 hours a week. I doubt think I play VR much in a month.

Also I can hear from across the room when his opponents say poo poo to him like "you serve like a fag" and "you sound like a little girl" which enrages me to hear anyone talk to him like that but he loves the salt and says "why are you losing to me then?!"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao this is really validating never playing with voice chat on for any reason

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I get a lot of nice random chats on walkabout, but I keep my mic off until I know they’re not 12.

I can’t get a legal serve off in eleven. Constantly knocking the controller rings into each other trying to serve.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
My Walmart preorder changed from "arrives [yesterday]" to just being "delayed" with no arrival date at all. So I just walked into the actual Walmart today and they had like 5 of them sitting there, nice job.

Also remarkable that they got the packaging to be less than half the volume of the Q2.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

spacetoaster posted:

Into the Radius
The Light Brigade
Beat Saber (modded custom songs)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders and Walkabout, occasionally Pistol Whip.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Replaying Alyx with the Quest 3. Spent 5 minutes looking at the details on the gravity gloves. Looks so drat real.

Puzzling Places has been my main jam lately though. I knock out two 200 piece puzzles almost every day. It's a perfect game to play while listening to music. It makes time fly.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just unboxed my quest 3. Text! It’s really sharp. Actually the whole display is amazing. I won’t be able to go back to fresnel optics again. It’s way better than the reverb g2.

The default strap is also fine this time around. It’s all very comfortable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Puzzling Places has been my main jam lately though. I knock out two 200 piece puzzles almost every day. It's a perfect game to play while listening to music. It makes time fly.
Heads up that there's a whole lot of puzzles released to Patreon subscribers from pre-release that you could probably find on a torrent somewhere.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Been playing through Next Fest demos and I just wanted to give a huge recommendation to try out The Burst: just felt like a great Half-Life 2-esque action-adventure with solid and immersive gunplay, parkour and grappling, all under a grungy, rusted desert world ala Mad Max. Was really impressed at how well-paced the adventure was, and how creative you could get in the combat encounters: sure you can just shoot your guns, but the grapple glove allows you to get really creative and pull guns out of enemy hands, chuck barrels at enemies, pull down scaffolding and crush people, or just swing around and dodge fire, among other things. Cool stuff! If anyone knows of any other cool Next Demo VR demos, I'm all ears.

https://twitter.com/GoRapid_Studio/status/1712119512848281846

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I’m still playing Ghosts of Tabor, though less often until the new map comes out. Dungeons of eternity is fun. Illysia just came out… so far it has the graphics and gameplay of everquest 1, but I’ll stick with it for a bit to see if anything opens up.

Also some beat saber, quest 3 is now a clear winner for that IMO. On quest 2 i had to sacrifice graphics/fps, while on Index I found the controllers horribly awkward. A semi-claw grip on the new controllers seems to work fine for my barely-expert difficulty skill level.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants

spacetoaster posted:

Population One is still my most played game and it's not even close. The quest stand alone version went free to play awhile back so you can test it out. I recommend doing death match games because squads is not new player friendly. Also the game is all about mobility and verticality less so then realistic gun play. If you aren't climbing and gliding everywhere you won't have as much fun. Also turn off the comfort vignette as soon as the tutorial is over.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Novasol posted:

So with the Quest 3 out, is it time for another referral train? Because if so, it's time to whore myself out for zuck bucks

It isn't letting me accept the referral link on either of my accounts, I'm assuming because I have an owned Q2 on both of them? Can anyone else with / without a Q2 try to accept that referral and tell me what if it works?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Been a while, but something feels really off when playing Beatsaber on the 3. I don't think it's a tracking issue, probably a grip issue since the controllers don't have a ring anymore, and I haven't figured out the optimal way to hold them for playing hard stuff. It might be days or weeks until the modding thing gets sorted out anyways.

As well as til support for other 3rd party stuff starts to roll out. What are everyone's favorite non-steam non-meta store apps that they are excited to use on the Quest 3?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't think it's a good idea to talk about those in this thread.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Apparently VD has chromakey support for passthrough? Pretty cool stuff imo

https://twitter.com/Flat2VR/status/1712563238670631006?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

njsykora posted:

I don't think it's a good idea to talk about those in this thread.

Those aren't :filez: or anything, it's App Lab or Sidequest stuff which is the itch.io or whatever of the quest headset world.