Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

winegums posted:

In a sane world, Coren's weird posting would get him canned from his do nothing job at the JC, lest their credibility be tarnished. in reality gently caress all will happen because we're in a post-consequences reality for anyone with real power.

In other news, the Thornberry interview has made me sad.
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1712401412120879271

This particular episode of Palestine and Israel feels very different to previous ones. Normally the press and Tories would rely on labour to be the buffer against outright fascism. Labour would take their lumps from the powers that be in order to help Palestine to continue to exist. Now that Labour simply don't care, there's no break on this thing.

it's horrifying

the israeli state is outright starving, dehydrating and bombing a captive population of over 2 million people and the strongest word i've heard this called on the BBC is "controversial"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

look, it could be worse: they could feed them /fast food/ !!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
yeah, the consent manufacturing machine is in full overdrive right now, presumably for some spectacularly nasty action that Israel has planned for the near future.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slightly surreal with sky news going from tearful, gentle interviews of crying Israelis saying how strong they are to "now watch the IDF flatten a tower block, hundreds of Palestinian casualties"

Definite "only one of these groups are human beings" shaped unspoken connector between those bits of footage.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is El Borto also a goon? Weird / funny they were already following me when I’m the biggest Twitter nobody there is

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Slightly surreal with sky news going from tearful, gentle interviews of crying Israelis saying how strong they are to "now watch the IDF flatten a tower block, hundreds of Palestinian casualties"

Definite "only one of these groups are human beings" shaped unspoken connector between those bits of footage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Palestinians die in IDF-involved bomb-release-incident.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Apparently France have banned pro Palestine protests, so expect Suella to announce that next.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
By what mechanism can police cancel a book launch? Seems a bit odd. What are they going to do if the guy tries to launch his book, burn it?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lubabakhalid/status/1712498601350357272

:toot:

Hopefully the first of many, but I fear I'm going to be disappointed

TACD posted:

Is El Borto also a goon?

I don't think so, but I'll ask. If you've ever shitposted on twitter on the side of the shitposting left, then you might have been followed that way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arrest him for not doing what they tell him to. That's usually what cops do.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It looks like we're going to be protecting the genocidal war criminals so that they can continue with their genocide and war crimes

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1712526697252159748

NotJustANumber99 posted:

By what mechanism can police cancel a book launch? Seems a bit odd. What are they going to do if the guy tries to launch his book, burn it?

One way would be to prevent a Section 5 Public Order offence, which the police can claim is in effect due to an anonymous tipoff that people were going to turn up and cause trouble. There are so many ways that police can cancel things now. It's just that up til now, they've only used those powers very sparingly.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 12, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Feeling really quite sick at the onslaught by the UK (& French) govts & Labour against Palestinians, conflation of Hamas with Palestinians, and the condoning of war crimes by Israel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's pretty lovely, yep.

I'm not ignoring the news by any means, but I'm somewhat passively consuming it and not commenting because it reduces the likelihood I'll say something disproportionate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

It's pretty lovely, yep.

I'm not ignoring the news by any means, but I'm somewhat passively consuming it and not commenting because it reduces the likelihood I'll say something disproportionate.

Yeah trying not to make any comments partly because I'm a cowardy custard and don't want to get flung in jail, mainly because I have close friends with family in Gaza, a friend who is a former IDF who thinks they are the bravest & most - what's the word "moral"? - military to walk this earth, and some evangelical Christian acquaintances who can't wait for The Rapture (because Israel has to be in place when the good Christians get beamed up by Scotty Jesus to take the hit from wrath of God).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thankfully I don't know any hardcore zionists any more. Helps I live in a very Muslim part of the country (why there's no go zones everywhere, otherwise known as private property) so the mood is going to be way more pro-Palestinian.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah trying not to make any comments partly because I'm a cowardy custard and don't want to get flung in jail, mainly because I have close friends with family in Gaza, a friend who is a former IDF who thinks they are the bravest & most - what's the word "moral"? - military to walk this earth, and some evangelical Christian acquaintances who can't wait for The Rapture (because Israel has to be in place when the good Christians get beamed up by Scotty Jesus to take the hit from wrath of God).

:sever:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am very much avoiding the news because I have zero patience for sanctimonious horseshit. But yes it is tiresome being surrounded by this frankly nauseating performance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's weird cause I keep an eye on Irish and British political media and usually the two are equally full of Tory cunts. But on this assault on Gaza, basically all the Irish leaders are making statements that I can get onboard with, whereas all the British leaders are just baying for blood

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No love for Hamas or their philosophy but the amount two faced rhetoric by governments is cringe worthy.

Americans with The Rapture complex are supreme idiots. :rolleye:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weird how the UK and US would be pro massacring people to prove a point. Unprecedented.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's weird cause I keep an eye on Irish and British political media and usually the two are equally full of Tory cunts. But on this assault on Gaza, basically all the Irish leaders are making statements that I can get onboard with, whereas all the British leaders are just baying for blood

I would say that's because Sunak needs the votes that are always incoming for tories when the Brits get Ar BoYZ PoppeEz going. But Starmer is up to his neck in it too - you'd expect a lawyer who has operated in the international arena to know he's basically approving war crimes though I think he made some caveat at the start about operating within the law which means they can't do what they are doing legally.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fighting for The Cause and both being buggered by the Brits in the past led to that... shared suffering at some level i guess.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I see theres some sweet rear end new money coming out

Can't wait to never use any of these

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I see theres some sweet rear end new money coming out

Can't wait to never use any of these

I very rarely use coins or paper money these days, maybe three or four times a year.

Tap the plastic and away you go.

edit: they remind me of the old Irish Punt coins, pre Euro... they looked better than these ones... i wonder how large they are allowed to make Charles' ear on the other side?

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 12, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I use coins to tip the staff at Caffe Nero when I'm getting my free coffee via office-funded perks

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nice looking coins imo

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

The cynic in me thinks Irish leaders would rather not mention it at all, but public opinion is firmly pro-Palestine. As are Sinn Féin, so leaders from the other two parties have to make some vaguely supportive statements to avoid haemorrhaging more votes to them.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The coin designs are pretty nice. Surprised but glad to see the effort put into them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is that the money got Prince Charles on it now? How long is the current stuff valid, I've got a jar of coppers I need to get rid of.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Is that the money got Prince Charles on it now? How long is the current stuff valid, I've got a jar of coppers I need to get rid of.

Shouldn't think the existing money will go out of validity. I remember using florins (very rarely it has to be said) as 10p pieces back in the year dot when 10p pieces (= old 2 shillings = florins) first came out. They'll gradually withdraw the 'old' coins from circulation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yeah the old shillings were still in circulation when I was a kid
Till they replaced them with the tiny 5p piece

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shouldn't think the existing money will go out of validity. I remember using florins (very rarely it has to be said) as 10p pieces back in the year dot when 10p pieces (= old 2 shillings = florins) first came out. They'll gradually withdraw the 'old' coins from circulation.

Thank you for making me feel young, if just for a moment.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I liked the way the old coins formed a big shield. Don't think the new coins do that but still nice. Agreed that they look a bit like the old punt coinage

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah they should have done them so the animals on each one combine into a big mutant monster like the old shield.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That would be sick. More Voltron coinage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Interesting note about florins:

https://www.danburymint.co.uk/coins-and-currency/the-story-of-the-florin/UK-SFLR.html

quote:

The silver florin, worth two shillings or one tenth of a pound, was introduced in 1849 as a first step towards decimalisation.
It was ahead of its time, but it was many years before the coin saw popularity.

Note 1849 was the first step to decimalisation! 10 florins would = £1.

Looking at those pix of old money on that link, I remember using coins with George VI on (the one before Brenda) and even rarer the occasional George V. I think I've even got a George V somewhere!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Calvin went to the US to meet up with some religious extremists. They apparently paid for the trip as well as that trip to Disneyland that went viral... and now this has happened:

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1712519443262152942

I'm guessing it's this place? https://nordiccatholic-uk.com/about-us/

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 12, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

fuctifino posted:

Calvin went to the US to meet up with some religious extremists. They apparently paid for the trip as well as that trip to Disneyland that went viral... and now this has happened:

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1712519443262152942

I'm guessing it's this place? https://nordiccatholic-uk.com/about-us/

NORDIC CHURCH IN SWOOP FOR BRITISH ANGLICAN ACE