Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
DG seem like they're loving miserable to play against with certain armies.

Just having flashbacks to 8e guard players talking about playing against Alaitoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

DG seem like they're loving miserable to play against with certain armies.

Lore accurate.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

coelomate posted:

I was a varnish skeptic, but the clear semi-gloss matte from GW works great. Not really glossy, and seems to make all the paint blend a little more smoothly. And I assume is protecting from dings and scratches and fingers.

I eat pizza while playing too much to not use varnish.

I found that if I spray them with gloss varnish, then with Matt varnish you get a failry good satin finish. I use the airbrush to apply it these days.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I'm working on a Space Marines combat patrol using old models, mostly just for fun. Since I had half a can of Runelord Brass left over from another project I went with the Minotaurs Chapter.

The armour colour was nice and easy to do, and I really like the result. The chapter symbols on the other hand were quite challenging. I'm glad I only have two more to go.

The characters will take a bit longer to finish, since I have to convert them out of some some donated monopose DA terminators from some old starter set.

They'll be joined by this small LotD squad i painted last year, as Infernus marine proxies. Two Cursed Founding chapters joined together.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hell yeah dude those are sick. I love me some Minotaur Terminators and those LoD are dope. I dig the second ed LoD back banner on the sarge.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

AndyElusive posted:

Hell yeah dude those are sick. I love me some Minotaur Terminators and those LoD are dope. I dig the second ed LoD back banner on the sarge.

Thanks! I have a couple of sheets of banners that I photocopied from the codex back in the day. I couldn't not use it. :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great job!

Is the Minotaurs “curse” that they have 0% honor?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

Great job!

Is the Minotaurs “curse” that they have 0% honor?

The Minotaurs that were actually created during the Cursed Founding are long gone, probably due to their curse being berserker rage - the current Minotaurs were created by the High Lords of Terra to be their personal marine chapter, and just took the name and designation of the old ‘taurs as a way of keeping everything on the DL.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ah okay, I didn’t realize they just reused the name and heraldry

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

Ah okay, I didn’t realize they just reused the name and heraldry

That's the idea :rimshot:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The space marine points and codex are live on the app now. Also everything space marine is locked content now.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Minotaurs are produced with Iron Warriors geneseed - the new ones, not the extinct cursed chapter.

This fact combined with their paint scheme makes them the best.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bij posted:

Minotaurs are produced with Iron Warriors geneseed - the new ones, not the extinct cursed chapter.

I thought I remember someone saying the intent was actually Emperor's Children, hence their obsession with pure genetics, blood purity, perfection in loyalty to the High Lords of Terra, and overt insistence on their superiority to all other Space Marines. I thought that was an interesting take on how you can show the underlying tendencies of the Legions in different lights.

Immediate edit: Wait am I thinking Red Scorpions?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I use AK Ultra Matte varnish and I like the effect a lot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

bij posted:

What are the other ones that are canonically implied to be from traitor legion material? I know there's those shark ones from Night Lords, Sons of the Phoenix from ECs, which are all Indomitus founding, plus Blood Ravens from Thousand Sons. I think there's one with a burning book logo from Word Bearers too.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Stephenls posted:

I thought I remember someone saying the intent was actually Emperor's Children, hence their obsession with pure genetics, blood purity, perfection in loyalty to the High Lords of Terra, and overt insistence on their superiority to all other Space Marines. I thought that was an interesting take on how you can show the underlying tendencies of the Legions in different lights.

Immediate edit: Wait am I thinking Red Scorpions?

The obsession with purity is Red Scorpions, yeah. Red Scorpions and Minotaurs are both fleshed out in Forgeworld supplements from forever ago. I don't think there's any actual statement from GW that Minotaurs are IW but the guy who came up with the current bronze iteration for the Badab War stuff say they are and that's good enough for me.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

What are the other ones that are canonically implied to be from traitor legion material? I know there's those shark ones from Night Lords, Sons of the Phoenix from ECs, which are all Indomitus founding, plus Blood Ravens from Thousand Sons. I think there's one with a burning book logo from Word Bearers too.

For Primaris chapters there's:

Sons of The Phoenix - Emperor's Children

Black Vipers - Alpha Legion

Castellans of Rift - Death Guard

Covenant of Fire - Word Bearers

I don't know if the Silver Skulls were initially intended to be IW successors 25 years ago but they certainly could be with the expansion of the fluff and Dantioch etc.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pretty sure it hasn't been stated as such but the Angels of Iron chapter are potentially Iron Warrior successors due to not only their name but their obsession with absolutely covering themselves in purity seals and engraving their armor with holy scrollwork to deflect suspicion that they have any connection.

bij posted:

Castellans of Rift - Death Guard

Is this cus they're green?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Pretty sure it hasn't been stated as such but the Angels of Iron chapter are potentially Iron Warrior successors due to not only their name but their obsession with absolutely covering themselves in purity seals and engraving their armor with holy scrollwork to deflect suspicion that they have any connection.

Is this cus they're green?

Suspiciously green - their badge chains look rusty too. What kind of servant of the Emperor is going to let their wargear rust?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Carcharodons are kind of a mix because there's evidence they're Night Lords and there's evidence they're Raven Guard. Like, their capitol battle-barge, the Nicor, has the same name of one of the battle-barges of Terran XIX forces that Corax exiled to nomad-predation. Plus there's a scene in one of the Carcharodons books where someone implies they're World Eaters. The best bet for them is probably that they're chimeric scavengers who use a variety of geneseed. Although this doesn't explain why they've all shifted towards the same "grey skin and all-black eyes" appearance, but maybe that's just subtle warp fuckery, since Raven Guard and Night Lords are both subtly psychic in a way that's less about shooting lightning and more about projecting vibes.

(Alternately they really are entirely loyalist Night Lords and they got the Nicor from the Ashen Claws, who are definitely XIX and have close ties with the Carcharodons. Or maybe the Carcharodons are former Ashen Claws made with the Night Lord geneseed the Ashen Claws looted from Nostramo, who split off later.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 12, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

hoiyes posted:

The space marine points and codex are live on the app now. Also everything space marine is locked content now.

Yeah, I love not being able to play one of my armies at all until my codex arrives. Judging from the Tyranids codex shipping times, that could be November.

Perfect app, GW. No notes.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

a fatguy baldspot posted:

The Minotaurs that were actually created during the Cursed Founding are long gone, probably due to their curse being berserker rage - the current Minotaurs were created by the High Lords of Terra to be their personal marine chapter, and just took the name and designation of the old ‘taurs as a way of keeping everything on the DL.

I glanced through some fan wiki after choosing the colour scheme and thought it was really fun that their past was so murky. I personally figured that the High Lords put the Minotaurs into time out for a couple of centuries, until the berserker thing was eventually tempered into just being total assholes about everything to everyone. Being total assholes makes them perfect for the tabletop, since they'll fight anyone for any stupid reason. :)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Devorum posted:

Yeah, I love not being able to play one of my armies at all until my codex arrives. Judging from the Tyranids codex shipping times, that could be November.

The Other Site has all the index rules at least.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you can just say wahapedia, nobody cares

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think the mods care

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Stephenls posted:

Carcharodons.

*Space Sharks :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

I think the mods care

About directly linking, sure

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

So, I love the idea of traitor loyalists as much as the next space marine fanboy, but I don’t think any chapter has ever actually been canonically confirmed as using traitor legion gene seed. Maybe the Silver Skulls? I vaguely remember reading something from ADB talking about how the fans love speculating but in actuality chapters using traitor gene seed would be considered horrific and heretical by even the weirdest marines, and irl the authors consider it a hack way to make a chapter interesting.

The guy who made Sons of the Phoenix is on record saying they have Dorn genes, iirc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aren't the Blood Ravens canonically a thousand sons scion?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

So, I love the idea of traitor loyalists as much as the next space marine fanboy, but I don’t think any chapter has ever actually been canonically confirmed as using traitor legion gene seed. Maybe the Silver Skulls? I vaguely remember reading something from ADB talking about how the fans love speculating but in actuality chapters using traitor gene seed would be considered horrific and heretical by even the weirdest marines, and irl the authors consider it a hack way to make a chapter interesting.

The guy who made Sons of the Phoenix is on record saying they have Dorn genes, iirc.

Yeah it's all just fun fan speculation. Personally I like the idea because it's a very hypocritical but realistic thing for the Imperium to do, and also means that turning to chaos isn't a genetic trait that the traitor legions couldn't escape. They dammned themselves.

Also the Sons of the Phoenix are extremely funny if they are actually built from Emperor's Children DNA, it's Cawl just daring someone to say something

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

Aren't the Blood Ravens canonically a thousand sons scion?

Nah, that's just the prevalent theory. BL hasn't said anything and I vaguely remember one case of one hand saying one thing while the other saying another going on at one point.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah it's all just fun fan speculation. Personally I like the idea because it's a very hypocritical but realistic thing for the Imperium to do, and also means that turning to chaos isn't a genetic trait that the traitor legions couldn't escape. They dammned themselves.

Also the Sons of the Phoenix are extremely funny if they are actually built from Emperor's Children DNA, it's Cawl just daring someone to say something

It also makes a lot of sense at basically all levels, what with 30K and the entire Horus heresy being a huge confusing time that means that things like Traitor Loyalists are by nature going to slip through the cracks. I personally like it because it makes Guilliman at least a little bit more of a canny politician who figured out how to reintegrate Loyalists from traitor legions into the wider Imperium framework and further characterises basically everyone based on how they reacted to his Codex Plans.

But a lot of that is kind of messy and human and not really what GW wants to stock, I think they're very happy letting the whole thing exist within the fanbase as a 'well we're not saying you can't, but also it's not canon' to drive engagement while they put up the Primaris Hover-Maximus kit, that replaces the centurion and also somehow decides to shoulder mount the heavy weapons so it looks like a top-heavy mess.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Devorum posted:

Yeah it's a really dumb system. At least I was still able to download the index PDF from Warhammer community this morning. The app sucks eggs for in game reference anyway. Something in the realm of 5-6 distinct actions to move from one data card to another on your roster and expand the section you care about. What I wouldn't give for a low clutter carousel view that strips out any war gear you're not using

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Space Friend posted:

Yeah it's a really dumb system. At least I was still able to download the index PDF from Warhammer community this morning. The app sucks eggs for in game reference anyway. Something in the realm of 5-6 distinct actions to move from one data card to another on your roster and expand the section you care about. What I wouldn't give for a low clutter carousel view that strips out any war gear you're not using

I mostly use it to quickly reference my opponent's stuff, which will become increasingly impossible as codices release.

It's bonkers that cards in army in the battle forge don't only show what you've got equipped.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AFAIK there aren't any that are outright confirmed, but recent Horus Heresy material makes it pretty clear that every legion had at least some traitors and loyalists, regardless of legion and also implies that some of the mixed legion fighting forces could be the origin of various chapters. I like that it's been kept open-ended.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Space Friend posted:

This whole thing is just stupid and aggravating. I'm absolutely not interested in GW's stupid app, it was frustration for the few minutes I tried to use it at a friend's house then hearing dumb stuff about the app around codex releases just has me convinced to not even try. Is it possible to get back in to my Tyranids without the newest new codex? I just bought the last one like a year ago, then with indexes I was annoyed but I could keep playing with the available information on those. Now the price of another codex on top of the new units has me just not interested in even getting another one. Is it possible to mangle together enough information from Wahapedia to just play without the newest codex?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Related meme posting because it made me chuckle sadly.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*Space Sharks :colbert:

Space Sharks have a different chapter icon; they are clearly a separate chapter. The 41st millennium has room for both.

(That big poster everyone always links to with images of all the canon Space Marine chapter iconography that claims Raptors are a White Scars successor has both on it! It's clearly never wrong about anything!)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 12, 2023

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

AFAIK there aren't any that are outright confirmed, but recent Horus Heresy material makes it pretty clear that every legion had at least some traitors and loyalists, regardless of legion and also implies that some of the mixed legion fighting forces could be the origin of various chapters. I like that it's been kept open-ended.

Keeping these types of "facts" in-universe instead of canon is the way to go, in my opinion as well. It's much more fun to speculate and argue about.

Ten millennia of accidental/intentional record destruction and propaganda efforts later, pretty much any information is going to be suspect. In a thousand years, even if a mostly preserved copy of the Internet from this day were to exist, it could still be incredibly confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I do love a good "this chapter might have heretical geneseed" chapter where it makes sense, but as much as I like those I also enjoy a "this chapter is 100% definitely loyalist geneseed but are so far removed from how their original legion acted" like the Executioners, those hosed up cannibal Ultramarines, etc.