Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Kibner posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot! During the migration to Epic, we were not allowed to take PTO without a doctor’s note. The migration took either 1-2 years, I don’t remember anymore. I decided to quit once I fell asleep at a friends house while hanging out, having one of their dogs give birth while laying on top of me, and I just plain didn’t care. Let them know about it and then moved to crash on the recliner, instead. gently caress that hospital and every executive there.

There's a lot to unpack here but glad you're out of that job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

Okay I can’t figure out how to do GIFs on this accursed website, pretend I posted the one from ITYSL where Tim Robinson is going ‘what the hell’

The rest of that sounds psychotic but I’m really interested in you being a birthing table for a dog

Not much to say, really. I was overworked. The on-call rotation had gotten reduced to just me and one other person, so I was on-call for half of every month. It was also a 45 minute commute each way. And I was salary so I didn't get any compensation for the OT caused by on-call issues. Not even allowed to take off early the next day.

In any case, I was just extremely tired. It was a Friday and my friends and I usually all gathered together to play D&D or whatever. I had to sit out because I was just not able to stay awake. So, I took a nap laying down on their couch.

I woke up to find the mama dog (Pomeranian) inches from my face and feeling some unexpected warmth on my stomach. I looked around her body and saw a tiny puppy. I gently picked them up, put them back on the couch, walked into the game room and told my friends what was happening, then went back to the living room and slept for a couple hours. I had a clean shirt on the second time I woke up, so either my friends washed my current shirt or gave me a new one and I put it on while half asleep. It was over 10 years ago, so I don't remember the details too well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Reoxygenation posted:

There's a lot to unpack here but glad you're out of that job!

Thanks! And, yeah, it taught me a lot as it was my first steady job since graduation college. I made sure to ask lots of questions of my employers since then just to make sure I wouldn't fall into something just as bad and also to set expectations of what I am willing to do or not do.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

mattfl posted:

Hospital IT goon here.

Sounds like biomed to me, not with a company called Crothall is it? Maintenance/calibration is def more on the biomed side than the straight hospital IT side. We generally don't touch that kind of stuff.

Not Crothall. It sounds like I’ll be doing more cybersecurity than anything. I think that’s just there in the job description to lure biomedical people away from their job into IT

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Kibner posted:

Not much to say, really. I was overworked. The on-call rotation had gotten reduced to just me and one other person, so I was on-call for half of every month. It was also a 45 minute commute each way. And I was salary so I didn't get any compensation for the OT caused by on-call issues. Not even allowed to take off early the next day.

In any case, I was just extremely tired. It was a Friday and my friends and I usually all gathered together to play D&D or whatever. I had to sit out because I was just not able to stay awake. So, I took a nap laying down on their couch.

I woke up to find the mama dog (Pomeranian) inches from my face and feeling some unexpected warmth on my stomach. I looked around her body and saw a tiny puppy. I gently picked them up, put them back on the couch, walked into the game room and told my friends what was happening, then went back to the living room and slept for a couple hours. I had a clean shirt on the second time I woke up, so either my friends washed my current shirt or gave me a new one and I put it on while half asleep. It was over 10 years ago, so I don't remember the details too well.

I was like drat, your friends sound like dicks to let that happen but that’s actually good friend stuff. That dog must’ve really trusted you

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

I was like drat, your friends sound like dicks to let that happen but that’s actually good friend stuff. That dog must’ve really trusted you

Yeah, she was a cutie pie. 🪦

I have had one of her grandpups with me since I graduated college 15 years ago. He is starting to fade, though. Deaf, blind, and getting extremely picky with food. Still cute as all hell, though.

e: and a couple more from earlier this year after a fresh groom and teeth cleaning:

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

skipdogg posted:

Like most jobs it's going to depend on the org. I worked with a guy that did some time at Seton hospital system in Austin, and it was a nightmare of red tape to do anything done. If a doctor wanted his printer moved to the other side of his office, which involved changing a port or patch cable on a switch he said it was 2 months of bullshit and meetings and CAB approvals. The doctors didn't understand how a simple request took so long (which is reasonable). He said he'd never work healthcare IT again.

Seton(now Ascension) is particularly crappy at IT from what I know. They’ve basically gutted their investment in it and sent most of it out of house. Not everywhere is this bad, but god please do know it is possible and real at the same time.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Fool posted:

Doctors don't care about what's in or out of your scope.

Who the hell does?

Usually when I tell someone something’s out of scope they just start telling me how much money they’re losing and how terrible their life is and how they’re going to leave for a competitor because obviously I’m just saying that because I’m lazy.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Had to help a user internally with their PC - their C drive was running out of space, even if they had another drive with tons of space so I spent time explaining stuff. All fine and good, except their D drive is named Tenacious, so Tenacious (D:)??? This user does not know how to rename drives. Did I do that??? If so, when?????? And why.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ziasquinn posted:

I'm at an MSP rn but may be moving on to .... work for a client directly? Anyone done this? Is it a poo poo idea? edit: like be poached.

Getting hired directly by a client is generally the dream, you already know the environment and culture so you (should) know if they're poo poo or not.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Reoxygenation posted:

Had to help a user internally with their PC - their C drive was running out of space, even if they had another drive with tons of space so I spent time explaining stuff. All fine and good, except their D drive is named Tenacious, so Tenacious (D:)??? This user does not know how to rename drives. Did I do that??? If so, when?????? And why.

......why would you rename this that's excellent.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

No I don't want to rename it, I just don't know why it's named that in the first place. Maybe I did it while I was in a fugue state??

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Love getting a project that has a quick turnaround to show results. Spent a good chunk of the day getting a video doorbell system that I’ve never seen before up and running. It’s been “broken” for nearly two years and only took like 5 hours of my time. Most of which was compiling records for an import.

More time was spent in meetings discussing what to do with it than I spent fixing it.

I’m still of the opinion that we should replace it with a butterlymx instead though.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 13, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I spent time creating an IOT SSID for a doorbell system that was never implemented. But we need to keep the SSID just in case!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

why?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

JUST IN CASE

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Never know when someone might need to ring the bell

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Because we need to pay out of the expenses bucket and not the capital bucket

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I am fixing the CEO's audio from the monitor because it stopped working for no reason. Unticked "Enable Audio Enhancements" and it magically started working.

I'm feeling quite proud of myself...until it stops working for no reason 15 seconds later. gently caress.

Did not have time to fix it, but I'm praying the Dell tech arrives Monday to fix his broken laptop fan (in another laptop, this is a temp one while THAT gets fixed). At least the audio in the laptop works and he can do that.

I got a call from a recruiter who saw my seek profile for a job at [state emergency service] yesterday. She asks my experience and I tell her and it sounded like it was just a helpdesk job. Cool, fine, send me the job description.

It's a job for IT infrastructure manager and operations that pays 2-3 times my wage and is WAY outside my experience or knowledge. For a second I was tempted to go full George Costaza and try and bullshit my way through it.

Then I decided that ending up in front of a Federal Investigation Commission when the [state emergency service] IT system went down and people died is not something I want on my resume. I think the reason the jobs open is because the last guy who did it, did that.

It does not give me great confidence in [state emergency service] being able to save my life when the next Bushfire comes around.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
After failing the Solutions Architect exam my first time, passed it on the second and got my notification this morning for it! Super anxious all night last night waiting for the results and woke up extra early to find a delightful email saying I passed. That might be the toughest exam I've sat.

Now hopefully that'll help with job prospects. I've updated my resume and have already starting throwing out applications a bunch.

:feelsgood:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm toying with applying for a couple of roles at Microsoft - one Cloud Architect for Azure Core Infrastructure, one Principal Cloud Architect for Azure Infrastructure, and one Principal Cloud Architect dealing with Partner Success. One of those partners is Databricks, which I've worked with a bunch in my current role. I've got a pretty solid background for all three roles, I can tailor my resume to line up with each job post, and I have someone in my network who's willing to make a referral (he's in the sales side, if that makes a difference).

I'd really like to get some details from goons that have worked at MS in cloud architect/principal cloud architect roles. Any ups and downs of the role and the work would be great. I don't mind that both will be client-facing, and I can speak to projects and accomplishments where I've worked with all kinds of different parts of the business in my Azure roles so far.

I'm also in the process of seeing if I can find people on Linkedin who previously held the role and getting their opinion, but I trust goonpinions unless they're in fyad. I'd love to get input beyond what I can see on Glassdoor.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Architect this and architect that.

What happened to competent engineers that actually fixed poo poo?

My experience with solutions architects so far is that they huff their own farts and add very little actual value.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Wibla posted:

My experience with solutions architects so far is that they huff their own farts and add very little actual value.

Give me names.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wibla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DUPfQCvHXw

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wibla posted:

I feel attacked.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I guess we found the architects ITT :laffo:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Don’t go work at Microsoft unless you are okay with being a huge dumbass, every client you work with knowing it, and you don’t want to work anywhere else but MS the rest of your life. Not being glib.

Wibla posted:

It’s such a nebulous term. I’m a consultant and a solutions architect and a cloud architect and I’m also an extremely competent engineer when the situation demands it. Guiding people through design work and seeing it work really well is awesome.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Don’t go work at Microsoft unless you are okay with being a huge dumbass, every client you work with knowing it, and you don’t want to work anywhere else but MS the rest of your life. Not being glib.

while this is mostly true about everyone in MS support that I've ever dealt with, the handful of people that actually work on products that I've met seem to be pretty good

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Support is mostly outsourced.

Been at MS partners working with Big E clients for years. Every TAM/cloud expert/whatever that is a badged MS employee has been supremely unimpressive to me. Azure firewall PG is rear end, their cosmos PG folks literally didn’t understand the difference between using custom DNS and convinced a client cosmos just ‘does DNS’ internally without any effort (huge fuckin problem with a globally distributed app that only uses private networking), and anyone on any account is basically a useless loving turd who mindlessly pushes MS products without even understanding client problems. Started working with AWS recently and it’s night and loving day. MS is a joke

Edit: i have literally built a career on saying ‘don’t listen to these assholes at MS’ and you’d be amazed how often clients are like FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'd say that's a perfect description of Microsoft. Along with working their services and products however the Cosmo DB PG has been absolutely phenomenal. Entra ID PG on the other hand... do they even exist? I guess they do but I've had better luck literally reaching out to them on their Twitter profiles than engagement through official channels.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've worked with some ace folks at MSFT over the years, mostly their PFE folks, but they're probably the exception.

I've never had a TAM worth a drat to be honest, and yeah, reaching out to MSFT folks on Twitter is 1000% better than going through official channels

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Somewhat late to hospital IT chat, but I deal with triple digits of sites and competence of on-site IT has slipped dramatically over the past half decade or so. There are trends that contributed to this prior to Covid, but Covid just kicked it right in the rear end. I still encounter IT teams that know what they're doing, but if the place you're going to is in *any* sort of bad financial situation, poo poo is going to get real bad real quick. I spent the better part of the other day telling a person who runs the IS department at a place to stop opening tickets for issues there are already tickets for, and no, I can't tell you what devices are on your own network if you give me a list of IP addresses. I can guess contextually, but I'm also not your network admin. I work for a company that sells you software.

Just....do your research before going in. If it looks like, for example, the entire nursing staff went on strike recently, maybe look elsewhere. You're not nearly as valuable as the nurses and whatever mistreatment you get isn't gonna be handled by a union working on your behalf.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Our biggest healthcare system (might be the biggest in a very large US state) laid 1000 people off and brought in Accenture for both normal IT and EPIC work. I thought it was one of the most disgusting things I’d heard at the time because you can’t trust Accenture with non-life or death kinda things so how tf are they gonna do all the IT for a massive hospital system?

Well apparently all the projects are hosed, the situation on a day to day basis is getting uglier, and according to a family member that works there they’re rehiring every position they eliminated just about and it’s two years ahead of the Accenture contract terminating. Psycho ghoulish stuff. And for a nominally ‘nonprofit’ entity. Way to spend your money wisely assholes

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We don't call them Accidenture here for nothing.

poo poo company, through and through.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

i am a moron posted:

Our biggest healthcare system (might be the biggest in a very large US state) laid 1000 people off and brought in Accenture for both normal IT and EPIC work. I thought it was one of the most disgusting things I’d heard at the time because you can’t trust Accenture with non-life or death kinda things so how tf are they gonna do all the IT for a massive hospital system?

Well apparently all the projects are hosed, the situation on a day to day basis is getting uglier, and according to a family member that works there they’re rehiring every position they eliminated just about and it’s two years ahead of the Accenture contract terminating. Psycho ghoulish stuff. And for a nominally ‘nonprofit’ entity. Way to spend your money wisely assholes

What is the severe brain damage that happens when you become a high level leader that makes you think stuff like this will ever work out. It's easy to say it's a case where they're getting some massive bonus or stock options or something to gently caress up the company, but it happens in cases where there isn't some massive financial advantage. It's not that they have different personal goals, it's that they truly believe their plan is good for the org, when just about everybody can see how bad it is.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

From what I’ve heard rumored there is a lot of the big consulting folks who get into leadership positions at normal companies and then outsource because they’re dickheads and it’s all they know. I’ve heard an ex-Accenture person ascended to some leadership position and then boom all the work is going to Accenture multiple times in places local to me where I know people from previous consulting gigs. Not sure if the cause and effect is really there but I’ve heard enough conjecture to think it’s a possibility at least.

Edit: I don’t know people in the boardrooms or anything so it could also be ‘hey we’re going with Accenture let’s find someone who will know how to manage them’ without knowing or caring it won’t matter anyways. Probably at least as likely I’d imagine.

Edit 2: and the only thing I really remember from business school (lol) was an IT-focused class that had a book where they studied outsourcing and found it fails 85% of the time or something absurd. I’m sure folks the folks graduating from Ivy Leagues or have MBA are studying similar things and yet…

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 13, 2023

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

i am a moron posted:

The fact doing this type of poo poo doesn't lead to criminal charges is why they keep doing it. No consequences whatsoever for them. They still get their money, bonuses, and in no way will it ever negatively impact their lives.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At the risk of being reductive: that's capitalism!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Accenture signed a big NHS contract decades ago and then at some point they didn't want to do it and walked away, but still were somehow allowed to keep £100m of public money and didn't have to pay any of the early exit fines.

You won't be surprised to know they still have big contracts (they managed the NHS entire email system, badly) and that the two ex-Accenture employees who were on the board at NHS Digital, the body that awarded those contracts, said that there was no conflict of interest...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

i am a moron posted:

Support is mostly outsourced.

Been at MS partners working with Big E clients for years. Every TAM/cloud expert/whatever that is a badged MS employee has been supremely unimpressive to me. Azure firewall PG is rear end, their cosmos PG folks literally didn’t understand the difference between using custom DNS and convinced a client cosmos just ‘does DNS’ internally without any effort (huge fuckin problem with a globally distributed app that only uses private networking), and anyone on any account is basically a useless loving turd who mindlessly pushes MS products without even understanding client problems. Started working with AWS recently and it’s night and loving day. MS is a joke

Edit: i have literally built a career on saying ‘don’t listen to these assholes at MS’ and you’d be amazed how often clients are like FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT

I'd add onto this : loving Microsoft 'partners' that exist solely to sell you services and licences are equally loving ghoulish. Partly because they make you attached to them no fuckin' matter what. I've done a great back of pushing any kind of effort despite there being protests internally, along the lines of 'we don't have the expertise so we should/could look for outside help!'

I'd rather gently caress up 3 times and learn from it, that would at least be more beneficial than being loving hammered in the rear end by these leeches. Anything that I've seen adjacent to Microsoft has equally reeked of poo poo and it lives in spite of itself at this point (as are most big companies!)