Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wonder what the numbers look like for 867 vs. 1066. I always assume the earliest year available is the most popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I'd also assume that. But the setup where holdings are completely undeveloped as a result of the tech system means that 1066 just plays way better all around.

Would be fixable mind you if they added a lower tech tier and filled up the existing holdings with some income buildings in 867, though the 1066 start would still have the advantage of being much more interesting (unless you're doing Viking nonsense).

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I'd also assume that. But the setup where holdings are completely undeveloped as a result of the tech system means that 1066 just plays way better all around.

Would be fixable mind you if they added a lower tech tier and filled up the existing holdings with some income buildings in 867, though the 1066 start would still have the advantage of being much more interesting (unless you're doing Viking nonsense).

I will never get tired of Tribal Viking nonsense.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
After putting about 200 hours into CK3, I've gone back to playing CK2. I had fun with CK3, but by now I've seen everything the game has to offer, and the experience is too... samey, for my taste.

CK2 to CK3 reminds me a lot of the transition from Civilization 4 to Civilization 5--the latter game sacrificed strategic choice in favor of a gameplay style that revolves around filling buckets. There are several different systems that are basically just waiting for the bucket to refill so you can click another thing and get another little dopamine spike from it. Addictive in its own way? Yeah, a little. But after you've played it a few dozen hours it gets to feel a bit shallow.

The popularity of CK3 (and Civ 5) speaks for itself--I'm in the minority here. But after playing both games a ton, the older, more random, more strategic game is the one I go back to, even though the interface is FAR superior in the slicker, newer model.

This is of course a Paradox title so we're really only playing an early alpha and CK3 will be a lot different in 7 years when another 10 DLCs are out. But I expect they're all going to continue to just provide more buckets to fill and refill, because that's how CK3 was built from the ground up.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I mean, there is a familiar and comfort in playing Civ 5 and CK3 since you know how the large game operate and what to do in order to have the upper hand but I just really like having control over stuff so it's not really applicable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like playing CK3 because it's readable on the TV from my couch

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The timing of the patch is a little inconvenient personally (due to other games and DLCs) but I think I've literally never actually played in the Middle-Eastern region or as a Muslim in CK2 or 3, so I'll definitely be giving it a whirl this time around.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 12, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm interested in the changes to clan government, also the special mention of Jizya being a clan government reform for muslim rulers implies non-muslims may more easily.be able to reform into clan

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the appointment of peeps into government thing sounds like theyre also preppin for better byzzies

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Seems good and necessary. Never went too far playing as muslin cause clan is just a more boring version of feudal. Let’s see if can make it interesting to play

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

With this and the EU4 DLC it looks like it's prime Persia season

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Only time I've played Clan was as Rurukid Russia.

Since Clan depends a lot on alliances and marriages I had to constantly intermarry with my vassals but since they were already mostly from one of the dozens of Rurikid cadet branches this meant after a while things were getting pretty Habsburgy.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'd like to play norse, but with Mystical Ancestors. However, I'm not interested in hybrid cultures, I just want plain norse with this extra tradition. Is there any way of making this happen? Cheats, mods?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Freudian slippers posted:

I'd like to play norse, but with Mystical Ancestors. However, I'm not interested in hybrid cultures, I just want plain norse with this extra tradition. Is there any way of making this happen? Cheats, mods?

not without console commands, someone on reddit wrote you need to use effects used in scripting instead of typical console commands, typing something like this in the console:
effect = {root.culture = {add_culture_tradition = tradition_castle_keepers}}

replacing tradition with whatever internal ID of mystical ancestors is (I guess it might be tradition_mystical_ancestors, but you might check in "game/common/culture/traditions") and root.culture with north_germanic.norse (unsure and might not be necessary)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Only time I've played Clan was as Rurukid Russia.

Since Clan depends a lot on alliances and marriages I had to constantly intermarry with my vassals but since they were already mostly from one of the dozens of Rurikid cadet branches this meant after a while things were getting pretty Habsburgy.

That’s clan life really. They are just lucky no one cares enogh to document it like the Habs

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

New dev diary detailing Clan mechanics:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-137-machinations-of-a-clan.1602548/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
might as well call unity asabiyyah directly

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
They put tax farming in the game!!!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Anything that acts like a courtly position are kind of a pain to manage. Wish you could set positions to autofill as frequently I don't notice someone has died until years after their death

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, I'm not super keen on having to manage even more court positions, as every update seems to add on positions. Otherwise I think I like the changes. Glad to see clan at least be significantly different from feudal now.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I think court positions are fine but the accolade system is loving awful.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I think court positions are fine but the accolade system is loving awful.

It really is

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The accolade system would be so much better without the notification spam. And of course the one thing it doesn’t notify you of is that a successor completely changed all the bonuses which is why you appointed them in the first place. Why is that even allowed? Ugh yeah it’s bad.

The new house harmony looks interesting though. If it makes who other members of my house are that’s a good thing. They’re almost all irrelevant in most of my games.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Accolades make no loving sense and the bonuses are wildly disparate in power level. Also tournaments seem completely worthless so I stopped going to them and likely won't interact with that system at all until I decide to go for the cheevos.

The changes to hunting, feasts, pilgrimages, etc. Are kinda neat I guess.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hastilude hard enough and itll turn your maa into space marines, thats what its good for

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Accolades have been complained about since their introduction and still are such an unpleasant feature to interact with. What is going on with Paradox these days?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"These days"?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CK3 is I think their fastest selling and second best reviewed GS game so I think they’re doing ok

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Educational Games posted:

Accolades make no loving sense and the bonuses are wildly disparate in power level. Also tournaments seem completely worthless so I stopped going to them and likely won't interact with that system at all until I decide to go for the cheevos.

The changes to hunting, feasts, pilgrimages, etc. Are kinda neat I guess.

Tournaments are extremely good for leveling the hastiluder trait for yourself and your knights, it also levels up your accolades. If you run your own tournaments and use the most expensive option you can also win really good items.
The events you get between the competitions are also really good, you can get upgrades to currently equipped items or get large amounts of hastiluder XP for yourself and all your knights.

Don't forget that before each event you must go into the knights "tab" in the tournament interface to allow all your knights to partake in the event. The game seemingly randomly allows/disallows your knights from participating even if they have good skills for the event.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 18, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I still don't fully understand the personal combat prompt system. Picking whichever has the most green in it seems to work for most events.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I read that accolades were, basically, a cool concept that they wanted to be in (true) that they couldn't get to a good place UI/UX wise before the release of TnT (well that much is clear). Since it "works" and they'll likely be prioritising stuff like the new systems they've announced for the November update/LoP I have no idea when they'll be getting around to it - one more place where a Stellaris-esque Custodian team (Stewardship team?) would really come in handy.

Re: tournaments, other people have hit on the mechanical advantages. The buffs from the trait or high level accolades are pretty good but they require a lot of tournaments and/or battle (other duels also raise foot XP) to max out. I still host them because I enjoy the shenanigans, they make my knights better, and at this stage of my run I have literally nothing else to spend gold on, but I've mostly stopped fighting in my own tournaments because the items I have from court inspirations are better and it is STILL a royal pain to get rid of excess artifacts - why they didn't make it possible for artifacts you already own to be put up as prizes I will never know, except, well, see above.

"whatever option gives the most Chance of Victory with the least Risk of Injury" is in my experience a pretty effective answer to single combat duels (outside tournaments, which use a different system) - the trick is that the options you get in each round depend on your prowess, traits, and other factors so good options may not be available. Still, the AI mostly chooses based on personality so unless you were hideously outmatched going in you can probably pull out a win through the magic of risk-reward analysis.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Accolades are a cool concept that ends up being a lot of work too often, for very little

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

SlothBear posted:

The accolade system would be so much better without the notification spam. And of course the one thing it doesn’t notify you of is that a successor completely changed all the bonuses which is why you appointed them in the first place. Why is that even allowed? Ugh yeah it’s bad.

The new house harmony looks interesting though. If it makes who other members of my house are that’s a good thing. They’re almost all irrelevant in most of my games.

You do get a warning about the successor's secondary skills not matching, but it isn't very helpful without an in-game explanation as to what traits = bonuses.

I think the worst thing though is that you lose the accolades if your heir has their own. I just lost a lvl 5 heavy infantry mod and picked up some level 0 vassal opinion bonus crap. They are not even available in the "restore accolades" section.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every single grand strategy game i keep track of the community of wants a stellaris-style custodian team. every single one

it really is something that "we will actually fix bugs and deal with old gameplay jank" makes you a world class dev team

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
TBF Stellaris itself didn't get one until what, five-plus years after release and after the second (third?) time they'd torn out a core system to rebuild from the ground up because they didn't like its side effects.

which is to say it's probably an easier thing to say "we're going to devote all these people explicitly to going back through the game and paying back our technical/design debt" when the new stuff they would be adding instead isn't quite as mission-critical. There are still a lot of unfinished rooms in that floor plan the devs posted last year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I really just want an auto-appoint option for accolades so I can spend less time managing it. I'm fine with having to create an accolade, but once it's made, just fill the roll with someone, even if it means the game forces someone to be a knight to fill the role.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think the game automatically picks a successor if one exists with the right trait for the primary attribute, you only have to pick one if you care who gets it (ie, since I refuse to land primary heirs I tend to give them either court positions or accolades, whichever they're best suited for, to get them a start on life). That said, for accolades where the pre-req is rare (ie, blademaster), it might be handy to have a less fiddly way of finding a new holder - OTOH, I can understand wanting to keep "create characters out of thin air" as a last resort and prioritise say, calling to wanderers, for performance reasons.

speaking of which, I should suggest (or mod) something like a character memory for people wandering to/joining/being invited/recruited to new courts. Every so often during my current game in the Mideast I run into random courtiers/guests from the literal ends of the Earth in my or my neighbours' courts and armies, or a random outpost of my weird-rear end custom faith that's taken hold in Siberia, and as cool as the current title history/character memory systems are they aren't quite up to answering the question "dude/dudette, how did you get HERE, you must have one hell of a story?"

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
According to the dev replies, tax collectors will have an 'auto-recruit' feature if you don't care about appointing them. So they learned from accolades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nerf dilligent by making those auto recruit things disabled imo