Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Imo people should have a good mom, no offense but all these bad moms seem like a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How does she reconcile "my daughter should unquestioningly obey me because I am her mother" with her own refusal to speak to her own mother?

Something tells me it wasn't OP who went no contact with her mom, especially with the details about the graduation invite

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cerekk posted:

If you have the same political views as your partner, what is there to talk about?

Organizing? Mutual aid? Collective action? There's a ton of poo poo to talk about an do. Agreeing with each other means you don't waste all that time arguing between two chucklefucks about how you think the world should be better, and spending your lifetime weighing options that MAY help while doing nothing except continuing to survive. Agreeing means you can just skip to working to make it better.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Cerekk posted:

If you have the same political views as your partner, what is there to talk about?

We talk about how we act on them, and do that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cerekk posted:

We all need somebody else's shoulder to cry on. It's been a bad century.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cerekk posted:

One of you has to be the slightly more cringe one the other rolls their eyes at

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

AITAH for masturbating while my GF and I are trying to work out our relationship and trying to avoid sex?

if this is the love of your life, i'd hate to see what your unsatisfying relationships were like

Should have gotten on all fours and started meowing like a cat. That’s my go to.

How does she reconcile "my daughter should unquestioningly obey me because I am her mother" with her own refusal to speak to her own mother?

“That’s different”

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 12, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i'm always like, what the gently caress do two people with opposing values even talk about on the day-to-day? 'not talking politics' pretty much limits you to only loving, or one of you lying constantly to keep the peace, like OP's bf.

What weird universe do you live in where the only thing to talk about is politics?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Better to talk about religion.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The real r/relationships are coming from inside the thread lol.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm always up for a "Golden Child fails to launch" story

AITA for not letting my brother move in with me?

quote:

My (F35) brother (M41) used to be the golden child of my parents. He always thought he was the smartest person in any room, he’s opinion is the absolute truth. He’s misogynistic, selfish, and thinks he’s better that everybody. Let me just give you an example of the piece of work he is. When COVID started my parents go it and there was no vaccine available yet. They were very. VERY sick, saturation levels were on 64, they needed oxygen. We were going crazy trying to find the money to by the oxygen machine (Not sure what it’s called, English is not my native language) My dad´s family sent money over with my brother without telling me and HE SPENT THE MONEY. He’s THAT SELFISH.

He’s an Uber driver and he's been living with my parents all this time, not paying rent, my mom used to do he’s laundry and cook for him. A true heir life.

Now my parents can’t live in the apartment they own because of stairs, so they decided to move out to a house they are renting. My brother has no money to move o rent something and my parents are very worried about him. He’s still living in the old apartment but my parents need to rent that so they can pay rent on the new place. My mom asked him where and when he was going to move because they need to rent the apartment and he said he has no place to move and that he was going to live in his car.

She cried with me and told me both her and my dad were very worried about him. She didn’t directly ask me, but I know she hope’s I can let him crash at my house. I don’t want to do that. I got married six months ago and my wife and I are still getting use to the new house and new life. But I do feel like and rear end in a top hat by not letting him move in with us. I have a couch he could stay but I feel like, once I let him do that, he would never leave.
OP shows great wisdom in that last sentence.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I knew a dude who got engaged, and once that ring was on, he and his lady decided they would be celibate until they got married, even though they'd been loving like mad beforehand. Things being as they are, he needed to take care of himself one night, so he left bed about midnight, sat in the living room and got busy. Of course she woke up when she saw a light on, came out and found him, big fight because he'd been jerking off in front of their fish tank. He ended up getting rid of the fish tank.

I can't believe that in a forum full of Xers and Millennials nobody beat me to this.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for not letting my MIL and FIL help me with the baby after their reaction to me being injured?

quote:

I (21f) have a 7 month old son with my boyfriend. My family lives abroad and are coming over to stay and help at Christmas time. For now, my MIL and FIL (60s-Debra and Bob) are helping me with household stuff and the baby. So far, we haven’t had any real issues and they’ve been a massive help.

About 3 weeks ago, I fell down the stairs. I wasn’t holding the baby and the baby was safe. However, instead of helping me, Debra and Bob both jumped to comfort the baby who was crying… and left me at the bottom of the stairs. My legs were fine, but I was wobbly because of shock and asked one of them to help me up. After nearly 10 whole minutes of being ignored, I managed to stand up on my own and hobble through to the living room. I sit down and Debra says ‘what’s happened to you? Are you ok?’.

I’ll admit, I saw red. I just said 'I fell down the stairs, didn't you hear me calling you for help?' Debra's eyes widened and she said she was too busy fussing over the baby.

After an hour, my arm was swelling up and I was taken to hospital. Luckily, it was nothing serious and recovery time would be quick. After my boyfriend got home and his parents left, I told him I no longer want their help after today's events. I can manage on my own, even though it'll be hard. He was taken aback and said they've done a lot for us. I said I appreciated it all but they ignored me crying and calling them for 10 minutes after I fell down the stairs. They don't care about me, only the baby and I was embarassed I didn't see it sooner.

He called his parents to let them know we won't need their help anymore and his dad said 'is it about today? we really didn't hear her.' My boyfriend just told them they're invited to sunday roast this week and that's all. I could tell he was not happy about my decision but he said he went along with it because I'm the mother.

Fast forward to Sunday and my BIL and SIL are guests as well. SIL has a 3 year old and is totally on my side but BIL is not. He told me to 'be grateful' for his parent's support as they're significantly more well-off than my parents are and paid for many newborn/infant expenses and plan to pay for many more as the baby grows.

Since then, Debra keeps calling asking if we need any help and says she feels awful not seeing 'the both of you' and that she misses the baby.

AITA for not wanting them helping me in my day to day life?

EDIT: Was the baby crying loudly enough that there is a possibility they didn’t hear you?
No way. The baby stopped crying after 10 seconds and the stairs are like 2 meters from the living room. There is absolutely zero way they couldn't have heard me
1- scream as I fell
2- the general noise of someone falling, including books falling and wall plates breaking
3- me crying and shouting for help
I fell at the top of the stairs and fell all the way down. This wasn't a missed step and a bum shuffle down that hurt my pelvic bone. I fully fell down the stairs and cracked the banister. No way they didn't' hear. The baby also started crying AFTER the initial smack after I hit the ground.

So these in-laws must despise their daughter-in-law, right? Do you think they heard the crash then looked at each other and were like, maybe this problem will take care of itself...

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 13, 2023

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ugh, her husband isn't happy about it and her BIL is trying to say she's wrong for it. What the hell.

I mean, I wouldn't be happy about WHAT THEY DID, but "ugh I guess I'll do it because you're the mother" is wtf.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 13, 2023

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
The SIL (presumably by marriage) totally agreeing with the OP is telling

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

artsy fartsy posted:

The SIL (presumably by marriage) totally agreeing with the OP is telling

Yeah the BIL is 100% the one related to the parents and the SIL is 100% married into the family. They got one of Those situations going on.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for not letting my MIL and FIL help me with the baby after their reaction to me being injured?

So these in-laws must despise their daughter-in-law, right? Do you think they heard the crash then looked at each other and were like, maybe this problem will take care of itself...

Just as likely that it's an unreliable narrator that hates her in-laws.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Cite your source

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

Once you let this type of parasite give you money it's over, they've got you forever.

Cerekk posted:

Just as likely that it's an unreliable narrator that hates her in-laws.

Why is that just as likely

What reason does anyone ever have to despise in-laws other than the in-laws despising you first, I've literally never heard a counter-example.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITAH for feud w/ deceased husband's ex??

quote:

My husband and I were married for 12 years before he passed away. We have 2kids together. He also has 2 kids from a previous relationship. When he passed away his ex expressed wanting to keep things the same and have the kids spending time together. However she meant the custody schedule meaning I still have her kids 50% of the time. I missed my husband and was always close with my step kids so I agreed. 3 years have passed and his kids are 15&16 and I still want them in my life however I want to start forming my own habits, traditions and vacations without her imput such as vacations on "her off time" and not taking them, me not spending enough on birthdays, her asking me for money for their sports and interests.

When I brought this up she threw a fit, literally said I was abandoning them "just like their dad" and I'm showing my true colours and clearly I never loved them like I said I did. I explained they can still come over and will still have their own rooms but if I want to up and go to my parents that live hours away I don't want to have to clear it with her anymore because I also don't want them at my house unsupervised (not because I don't trust them but because they're still young).

She has literally hired a lawyer and is trying to establish that I agreed to a custody arrangement and she wants child support since we always had more money. My husband had money set aside for his kids when we met and when he died I sold assets that were his and split the $ between all 4kids. His life insurance was also split in 5 for all of us. The house was mine so it was never written to be left to his kids.

The estate lawyer set it up where they get money at a certain age and she got monthly amount to help raise them. I dont believe I owe her more. Some people in our life are split since it seems like I did agreed to custody but I was just trying to be a stable figure for them still.

Am I wrong for wanting her to screw off and not wanting to give her anything?? This whole thing seems ridiculous but her lawyer is attacking me???

I'm sur there's also so much I'm forgetting to mention so I'll answer questions if needed

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Deified Data posted:

What reason does anyone ever have to despise in-laws other than the in-laws despising you first, I've literally never heard a counter-example.

There's an entire genre of jokes based on the extremely common stereotype that everybody dislikes their mother-in-law.

And in this particular case, the story that "Both in-laws are cartoon villains that deliberately ignored a screaming woman for ten full minutes" is no more believable than "The first instinct of a woman who was too injured to move on her own was to start a timer so that she would know how long it took for help to arrive". The only actually-believable story here is that OP fell, the in-laws didn't hear her, and the OP exaggerated or made up how long it took her to get up on her own as a ploy to get rid of the in-laws.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I opened our marriage, I hooked up with someone my wife feels I should’ve known was off limits

quote:

This isn’t a revenge story. I’m not unhappy with an open marriage/ENM lifestyle so far and things have been going well up till now, just wanna make that clear before someone says I need to divorce my wife or act like she’s the villain. She’s not a villain and I just want to know what a good way to get passed this is.

My wife and I got married very very young (19 and 18) which now we consider a happy mistake. We both agree we shouldn’t have gotten married that young and should’ve waited it out so we could mature a bit more, but we both are still happy together and very deeply love each other. We are 28 and 29 now and coming up on 10 years. No kids yet, but we plan to by 35.

So as a consequence of being high school sweethearts, we don’t have very much sexual experience outside of each other. We both were kinda curious after she discovered she was also into women and we started experimenting with having sex with a 3rd woman.

Earlier this year it came out that we both kinda felt like we missed out on dating around and sexually exploring ourselves so we decided to open the marriage. We thought we discussed boundaries well, no sex with others in our home, always use protection, and other things but of us felt uncomfortable about. We also discussed a “ask, but don’t tell” agreement, where basically neither of us have to tell each other more than “hey i may be home late tonight”, but if one of us needs details we’re obligated to tell.

Given that my wife is an absolute gorgeous woman, she had no shortage of suitors. I decided it was better of me to not know, what she was doing, but it was obvious she was getting more action than me.

So I have this one friend whom I’ve known since college, we got jobs in different sections of the same company so I see her quite often and consider her a close friend. We went out to happy hour with the office and after I got some alcohol in me I told her about things. We both got to talking and to make a long story short, we ended up spending some alone time together in my car. Sex was great, but idk if it’s just because it was someone new who I already had good chemisty with, or she was just really good but I had a great time. I reached out to her after and we both decided to make it a regular thing. Now she and I are kinda fwbs, and the sex is still amazing.

So this has been going on for like 3 months now. Literally no issues until she asks. She asks specifically if I’m hooking up with a ton of girls or just one. My wife thought it may be fun for me to have a threesome with us. I said I would be down, but I would need to see if she would be down. My wife said she would need to meet her first too. I explained she already has and told her who it was.

She was very unhappy by this. She said that what I was doing was crossing a boundary since she and I have a relationship. She said that anyone she’s hooked up with have been people that she’s not known before and that she thinks me banging my friend and coworker is way too intimate.

I could tell this was making her insecure and I told her that if she feels this way I would stop sleeping with my friend. This didn’t make things much better. I’m no longer sleeping with her, but my wife is already so insecure it doesn’t make a difference.

She has been asking questions that I feel are pointless to answer, I.e “Is she better at xyz than me? Does she have a better body than me? Does she do this specific thing I don’t let you do? Do you still wanna gently caress her? Did you want to before now?”

Some of which I honestly just lied about because I know she doesn’t want the answer and just wants to feel secure. However it doesn’t seem much better. I can tell she’s still disturbed by this and is still resentful of what I did. She has said multiple times I should’ve known she was off limits.

I feel like I hosed up but I don’t see how. I’m not really sure what to do.

Are fwbs allowed with open marriages? I mean the devil is in the details but I thought the idea was to gently caress a ton of people, not have emotional connections/sex. But gently caress it I am single, what do I know other than what AITA has taught me!

If you need to open your marriage for it to work, probably better to close the door, have a seat at a divorce lawyer's office.

reddit said it better:

quote:

When I hear open marriage, I hear: “I want the freedom to find your replacement, but with the security of knowing you’re still there if nothing pans out.”

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cerekk posted:

There's an entire genre of jokes based on the extremely common stereotype that everybody dislikes their mother-in-law.

The description of OP full-force yeeting herself down the stairs, breaking all the "wall plates" and the banister on the way just doesn't read as something that really happened, to me at least.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elviscat posted:

The description of OP full-force yeeting herself down the stairs, breaking all the "wall plates" and the banister on the way just doesn't read as something that really happened, to me at least.

Wall plates are just plates you hang on a wall. If you knock them down, they'd probably break. Am I missing something where people just don't fall down stairs anymore?

And generally "I hate my mother in law" jokes come from... bad behavior from in-laws.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
me, clicking on the r/relationships thread for the first time: what, why would her husbands parents just randomly have a grudge against the woman their son saw fit to marry :confused: this makes no sense, clearly she is trying to drive a wedge between her husband and his sweet loving family for no reason other than that she is a hateful harpy

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Deified Data posted:

it isn’t

Deified Data posted:

Race, class, weight, anything else easily observable - all the classics.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
me, credulously accepting the account of the reddit poster who is incentivized to make herself look as good as possible, regardless of how implausible that account is

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cerekk posted:

me, credulously accepting the account of the reddit poster who is incentivized to make herself look as good as possible, regardless of how implausible that account is

Everyone loves the thread guy who just seems to post in the thread about how clearly the woman in the situation must be the rear end in a top hat, whether it's that she must be a secret conservative or she must be faking injury.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Cerekk posted:

And in this particular case, the story that "Both in-laws are cartoon villains that deliberately ignored a screaming woman for ten full minutes" is no more believable than "The first instinct of a woman who was too injured to move on her own was to start a timer so that she would know how long it took for help to arrive".

Are you completely unable to judge time without assistance?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nothing implausible about it at all. I've had falls down the stairs that did everything described and more. It also isn't at all hard to have an idea of how long you spend somewhere, especially if you're constantly looking at a clock for reasons like "I have a new baby and need to keep track of feeding and such".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My (34f) boyfriend (39m) has been lying about his political beliefs for 6 months

My boyfriend has been hiding/lying about his political beliefs for the last 6 months

TL;DR: Bf has been lying about political beliefs for 6 monts. 

I'm still unclear what this story is about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

Nothing implausible about it at all. I've had falls down the stairs that did everything described and more. It also isn't at all hard to have an idea of how long you spend somewhere, especially if you're constantly looking at a clock for reasons like "I have a new baby and need to keep track of feeding and such".

sigh. another gullible sheeple blindly regurgitating propaganda from Big Mother-in-Law Jokes

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Everyone loves the thread guy who just seems to post in the thread about how clearly the woman in the situation must be the rear end in a top hat, whether it's that she must be a secret conservative or she must be faking injury.

You got me, I'm siding with Debra because I hate women.

Fatty posted:

Are you completely unable to judge time without assistance?

When I'm so severely injured that I can't move? No, my sense of time is not going to be accurate in that situation. Regardless, I flat out do not believe that someone who is too injured to move for 10 full minutes is going to suddenly get up with no symptoms worse than "some swelling an hour later".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cerekk posted:

I think lots of these stories are fake too but I see no point in discussing that, it just makes the thread worse

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Stop trying to become the Main Character of Twitter in the r/r thread you weirdo

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITAH for paying for a ham sandwich?

quote:

I posted this in another subreddit and it was locked.

I went to a coffee shop with my Christian friend. The guy before us ordered a ham sandwich but his credit card was declined.

My friend offered to pay but only if the guy would not eat ham. My friend quoted Leviticus 11 about the punishment of eating pork is "to be destroyed". I took out my credit card and paid for his food. I googled and told him about Matt 25, "For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed me."

AITA for undermining my Christian friend?

He now demands an apology from me. Was I TA?

Update: He just blocked me on all forms of communication.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

My wife and I opened our marriage, I hooked up with someone my wife feels I should’ve known was off limits

Are fwbs allowed with open marriages? I mean the devil is in the details but I thought the idea was to gently caress a ton of people, not have emotional connections/sex. But gently caress it I am single, what do I know other than what AITA has taught me!

If you need to open your marriage for it to work, probably better to close the door, have a seat at a divorce lawyer's office.

I feel like open marriage, like polyamory, is a lot more susceptible to breakdowns in communication than more standard relationships, even when all partners are acting in good faith. For all that we decry romcom and decorum poisoning in this thread, there are some benefits of a shared cultural understanding of How Things Are Done, and that doesn't really exist right now for open marriages. Although, yeah, I agree that a mutual round of confirming that the grass isn't greener isn't a great indicator for the longevity of the marriage, even with both partners negotiating it ahead of time.

I strongly suspect in this case that the wife was the one that initially proposed opening the marriage (hence the insistence that this isn't a revenge story), and that she wasn't nearly as comfortable with her husband seeing other women in actuality as she had been in theory. Like, she was fine with the idea of him having lots of random hookups, and she was fine with the idea of him having a steady hookup (it reads to me that she was only looking for a threesome in the latter case), but once she had a face for the other woman she suddenly wasn't comfortable anymore. None of her questions/insecurities are centered around the husband catching romantic feelings for his FWB, but are all things that could apply to any hookups. The unspoken rule being broken is simply an easy way for her to make the husband out to be the bad guy, rather than dealing with the fact that she can't actually handle him being with other women after all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

What kind of Christian would blatantly defy the nullification of OT food laws made by Christ himself, smh

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I 100% believe this happened. People who quote religious text in ordinary situations are either preachers/what have you or assholes high on their own farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

What kind of Christian would blatantly defy the nullification of OT food laws made by Christ himself, smh

Most likely a homophobic one. Leviticus has the passages most explicitly against gay sex, so you see some Christians ignoring the fact that it should be null and void to them.