Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

Even when Harper was the only good hitter on the Phillies a few years ago, Snitker wouldn't pitch around him. I have no idea what the thinking is.

Analytics really killed off the IBB, I think the math showed that it was almost never an advantage.

Of course there are certain players for whom math does not apply
https://i.imgur.com/JUweneq.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

Analytics really killed off the IBB, I think the math showed that it was almost never an advantage.

Of course there are certain players for whom math does not apply
https://i.imgur.com/JUweneq.mp4

I don't disagree at all with the data, but I've just seen Atlanta eat poo poo from a spoon held by Harper so many times, I don't see why they gamble with the man.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
One of my favorite things about the postseason is seeing managers go mad in real time and do poo poo they'd never do in the regular season, like yanking starters after a single base hit, IBBs, bunts, etc. etc.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Love the .000/1.000/.000 slash line in 7 PAs

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 12, 2023

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Red posted:

I don't disagree at all with the data, but I've just seen Atlanta eat poo poo from a spoon held by Harper so many times, I don't see why they gamble with the man.

He struggled against them in 2021

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Can the Texas power grid handle a 7-game series?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Can the Texas power grid handle a 7-game series?

Buddy, they won't even let us handle a night of winter.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

Ah I was wondering why I suddenly started twitching in the middle of my last meeting.

The Royals front office made a ton of mistakes after 2015 but resisting the urge to shovel money at Hosmer after 2017 is one of their few good decisions.

Thanks for 2015 Eric now gently caress off forever.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/mlblife/status/1712563213819367836?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Imagine hating Bryce Harper

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bregor posted:

Couldn't be me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

https://x.com/bubbaprog/status/1712229673197797777?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bregor posted:

Harper just seems like someone who has very strong “douchebag white guy” energy, like a man who has very strong opinions about, I dunno, Entourage and James Franco comedies.

He’s right to stare down Arcia though.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I loved Austin at one point, but it’s been ruined by techbros and transplants. It’s become a victim of its own success.

I miss going to iron age shows down there. Oh well at least we all have good memories of what it was

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Harper just seems like someone who has very strong “douchebag white guy” energy, like a man who has very strong opinions about, I dunno, Entourage and James Franco comedies.

He’s right to stare down Arcia though.

he definitely definitely definitely had a huge ego when coming up, but now he's proved he can back it up and it also does seem to have softened some as well

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1712240858316046474

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Please end the Atlanta Braves' season tonight. Thank you.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

he definitely definitely definitely had a huge ego when coming up, but now he's proved he can back it up and it also does seem to have softened some as well

He's definitely matured, and says and does all the right things. The word is that he's really approachable in public (people yell his name in grocery stores, and he yells back, etc.), and the owner will go ask his opinion about stuff.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Red posted:

He's definitely matured, and says and does all the right things. The word is that he's really approachable in public (people yell his name in grocery stores, and he yells back, etc.), and the owner will go ask his opinion about stuff.

I could see him doing color commentary for the team after he retires. I can't imagine he's the kind of guy who wants to leave the game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don’t think he was as hyped as LeBron was but he was pretty hyped and he’s definitely exceeded already lofty expectations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn’t he a catcher in HS?? Haha can you imagine

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
harper is a baseball psychopath and a mormon (polite religion psychopath), which is just a fantastic combination of traits and i think it's great the braves have decided they needed to piss him off because the results have thus far been hilarious

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bryce is a Baseball Psychopath in the same way that Larry Bird was a certified Basketball Psychopath.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/dbacks/status/1712326186377105675?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I don’t think he was as hyped as LeBron was but he was pretty hyped and he’s definitely exceeded already lofty expectations.

And he's 26, it's crazy.

If he doesn't get hurt or fall off the athletic cliff suddenly, he's a first-ballot HoF.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mdemone posted:

And he's 26, it's crazy.

If he doesn't get hurt or fall off the athletic cliff suddenly, he's a first-ballot HoF.

I don't think Literally-Will-Turn-31-Years-Old-Next-Week Bryce Harper is 26

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

No Safe Word posted:

Where's your proof, follow the money

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Larry was a terrible person

Is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gonz posted:

Bryce is a Baseball Psychopath in the same way that Larry Bird was a certified Basketball Psychopath.

So, criminally

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'd adore Harper on my own team but hate that he's so ridiculously good for another. I want him to do bad simply because my team plays his. He can be awesome in every other game.

Going back, though I do remember the Sports Illustrated article from when Harper was an extremely hyped high school kid. The way he and his parents handled his talent is one of those things felt really iffy at the time.

He graduated high school a year or two early and played for a juco specifically because a) this juco played in a wood bat conference and b) he'd be a draft pick sooner. It's that thin line of: this kid is a once in a lifetime talent and his family is facilitating this dream while cutting out all the bullshit vs. is cutting all the bullshitalso cutting out a key piece of his social development.

Apparently the answer is, no it didn't kill his social development. Was it the right thing to do? For him, yes. Was it a path that should become more normalized? I don't know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He could have played in the majors at 17 or 16. They were right

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

maffew buildings posted:

harper is… a mormon

There it is

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

Did I get buttcracked. Ballsacked.

Edit: :corsair:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

It must be insane to be LBJ or Harper and have unbelievable hype around you as a HS junior and then live up to every expectation

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

what year is it

Boy! You there! What year is it?!?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He graduated high school a year or two early and played for a juco specifically because a) this juco played in a wood bat conference and b) he'd be a draft pick sooner. It's that thin line of: this kid is a once in a lifetime talent and his family is facilitating this dream while cutting out all the bullshit vs. is cutting all the bullshitalso cutting out a key piece of his social development.

Apparently the answer is, no it didn't kill his social development. Was it the right thing to do? For him, yes. Was it a path that should become more normalized? I don't know.

euphronius posted:

He could have played in the majors at 17 or 16. They were right

It was absolutely the right thing for him, because, well, look at him. But there was no way to know that until after the fact, and the risks were significant. I don't think it shouldn't be an option, but I also don't think it should become more normalized. I feel like there needs to be a shitload of societal pressure pushing parents away from that approach, because otherwise you're going to have way more kids being fed into it and burning right the hell out. The barrier to entry should be enormously high.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mdemone posted:

what year is it

Boy! You there! What year is it?!?

lmao

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
I always enjoyed this blurb from Harper’s SI article ever since I read it back then.

quote:

It was after one of those player-for-hire trips that Sheri began to understand that her son was really special. Bryce, then 12, was playing in a tournament in Alabama on a field with 250-foot fences. It was a trip Sheri could not attend. When Bryce phoned home, Sheri asked him how he'd done. "I did all right," he replied.

Later one of the coaches called Sheri. "Did he say anything to you?" the coach asked.
"No, not really," Sheri said.
"He went 12 for 12. Eleven home runs and a double."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Haha I remember that now.

SI used to be pretty good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was very confused how Bryce Harper was only 26 for a second