Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Here’s a good video on why plastics yellow from a chemistry standpoint and how peroxide bleaching reverses it. It’s in the context of vintage computers but the same principle applies to other plastics that yellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPl356YKcVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

kefkafloyd posted:

Here’s a good video on why plastics yellow from a chemistry standpoint and how peroxide bleaching reverses it. It’s in the context of vintage computers but the same principle applies to other plastics that yellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPl356YKcVs

Hell yeah brother.

Yellowing is driven by UV radiation and/or heat, and oxygen. It's easier and cheaper to handle the UV/heat side than the oxygen unless you have access to, like, industrial quantities of waste CO2. Sadly only a few manufacturers even try to make UV resistant Lego displays, however we're all in luck because you know what other thing is damaged by the exact same things (for completely different reasons) and has a shitload of commercially available archival solutions? Books.

Don't feel bad, I only realized this just now.

My solution is a Billy bookcase with glass doors, modified with thin gaskets around the door ($5 at a home improvement store for a roll, it's meant for exterior doors) and a UV resistant coating on the windows. The gaskets are probably not necessary for plastics because the reaction is relatively oxygen-efficient, I have them on because I also have historical documents and books in the same cabinet and the oxidization reactions that eat ink, paper, leather, and adhesive are less efficient.

Super easy to do this. Go to IKEA, buy a Billy and the glass doors. Assemble the Billy, but before you assemble the doors find either a window shop or an auto shop that does tint application and ask if they'll do the doors with UV resistant tint. Should be relatively cheap, mine was done with otherwise useless offcuts. I think I paid $40 2 years ago. Might be more expensive in places that aren't Florida, since UV treating exterior windows is basically required here.

Admittedly I did the whole thing to store the family bible (containing handwritten birth, death, and marriage records for the last 110 years) but it was so cheap that I might do the other one now that I've put the pieces together.

If you add lighting, try to get ones that don't put out UV or put them outside the doors. Bing bong white stays white.

E: also keep it away from windows, radiators, and other heat sources.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just immediately sub out all white pieces with yellow. Never have to worry about it then.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I just immediately sub out all white pieces with yellow. Never have to worry about it then.
:hmmyes:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is my poor Titanic sitting on the mantle in my living room doomed to yellow??

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is my poor Titanic sitting on the mantle in my living room doomed to yellow??

Better than blue

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
All ABS is doomed to yellow, it's just a matter of time. Fortunately you can mostly reverse the process using hydrogen peroxide and UV light.

Tons of tutorials on YouTube, mostly for classic consoles. Don't do this with stickered parts.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Gonna laugh if all my flesh-toned Lego minifigs are doomed to revert to the classic yellow skin tone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's only noticeable on white parts.

And actually after my last post I really looked at my white sets and now I am noticing some low key yellowing. I Put an older set next to a newer one and now I can't unsee it.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Sunk Dunk posted:

Oh I was thinking of the bigger one, oops

The creator series one goes for about 150-250 depending on condition.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

It's only noticeable on white parts.

It's also noticeable on light and very light grey and bley. As a kid I stored my parts poorly, so my classic castle pieces are a whole rainbow of non-matching greys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah, I don't think that's an issue except on very old gray parts though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yellow parts can yellow as well.

I think using the term yellowing is a bit misleading.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing I'd like to know is why some parts in the same set are more prone to yellowing than others. it's never consistent. Just look at that mickey boat. It's not even a different part type ie the softer plastic Lego uses. it just seems random. Like some tiny part of the formula makes all the difference.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Man why did so many cool themes and sets come out in the early 2010s? Monster Fighters, Fantasy Castle stuff, and I was at just the wrong age to be interested.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The Avengers Tower box leaked:

god drat that thing is massive

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh wait, it’s not a modular building??

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That's one of the first marvel sets that I actually think looks kind of good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh wait, it’s not a modular building??

It looks like it is?

Cool looking building, no interest in it personally though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I guess it does have the modular sidewalk, I was looking for the technic pin connected holes like the sanctum and daily bugle have

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cant tell if there is a pin due to the minifigs, but it looks like it's designed in modular parameters and the pins could be added by swapping a couple of bricks out if it's not included. or just press it against another modular. I'm not even sure how useful I think pinning modulars together is or why Lego needs to do it. You can just slide them side by side and not have to deal with lining up the pins.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, drat. That one's kind of pretty awesome. The part of me that really enjoyed the whole "infinity saga" part of the MCU but hasn't really found a ton of interest in much since kinda wants that as a display piece, heh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man I always wanted a set like that but I’m taking pretty much all my marvel stuff off display except for the big helicarrier, dang.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yellowing is the least of your problems; look at some problems G.I. Joe collectors have:

https://www.yojoe.com/action/84/roadblock.shtml

YoJoe posted:

Roadblock's helmet, machine gun, and tripod were molded in bright green or dull green plastic. The dull green plastic tends to leak a red fluid after several years. This fluid can be wiped off easily, however.

:stonk:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, Roadblock's Special Helmet Juice goes for big bucks on the toy trading black market.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do we know how big it is compared to the daily bugle?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hey lego thread. My kids have gotten hooked on random youtube vidoes of people making fun motorized lego contraptions and bridges and such.

I grabbed some off-brand motor and gear kits from amazon, but am pretty confused as to the status of the official lego brand stuff? The website doesn’t seem to show any active products, and nothing ive read makes it seem like Lego even supports motor stuff anymore?

Can someone who knows the real deal fill me in so I don’t go buying a bunch of useless stuff?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Do we know how big it is compared to the daily bugle?

It looks slightly taller and slightly wider but not hugely so

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They are having a rocky transition from the old power function stuff that you could use with a lot of stuff to specific kits that come with a set and are app controlled, so far as I understand it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hey lego thread. My kids have gotten hooked on random youtube vidoes of people making fun motorized lego contraptions and bridges and such.

I grabbed some off-brand motor and gear kits from amazon, but am pretty confused as to the status of the official lego brand stuff? The website doesn’t seem to show any active products, and nothing ive read makes it seem like Lego even supports motor stuff anymore?

Can someone who knows the real deal fill me in so I don’t go buying a bunch of useless stuff?

The current motor stuff is Powered Up: https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/powered-up

The hubs are app controlled (though there is a bluetooth remote you can use too), but there is a basic battery box with an on/off switch on it (which is used in stuff like the Motorized Lighthouse)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Veotax posted:

The current motor stuff is Powered Up: https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/powered-up

The hubs are app controlled (though there is a bluetooth remote you can use too), but there is a basic battery box with an on/off switch on it (which is used in stuff like the Motorized Lighthouse)

Can you buy anything separately for your own projects now or is it all included in various kits?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I never pinned my modulars together because in my mind's eye I could see one of my nephews picking a building straight up by the baseplate to get a better look and accidentally tearing that building and the ones on both sides completely asunder.

It's not an unfixable problem, but my nephews try to be respectful and I don't think either could have handled it without tears. My nieces simply did not pick things up without permission which was better.

Dogen posted:

Can you buy anything separately for your own projects now or is it all included in various kits?

That site lists sensors and motors and a hub separately, so you can get that stuff piecemeal. Not sure if it's everything but it's a lot. Even under Mindstorms, Lego never sold some things (tiny motor tiny motor TINY MOTOR TINY MOTOR) separately unless you were able to finagle an education account so who knows.

E:

TINY MOTOR! This little fucker was basically legal cheating in FIRST Robotics competitions, gently caress yeah, we had like a dozen.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 12, 2023

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Are there adapters to connect the traditional block style power points with the new jack style?

Thats stuff is all crazy expensive compared to the off brand poo poo on amazon. Not seeing much of a value proposition, the motors don’t even seem to have as many connector spots.

Does the new stuff have variable speed control built in? Feels like the one thing missing from these cheapo ones.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I never pinned my modulars together because in my mind's eye I could see one of my nephews picking a building straight up by the baseplate to get a better look and accidentally tearing that building and the ones on both sides completely asunder.

It's not an unfixable problem, but my nephews try to be respectful and I don't think either could have handled it without tears. My nieces simply did not pick things up without permission which was better.

That site lists sensors and motors and a hub separately, so you can get that stuff piecemeal. Not sure if it's everything but it's a lot. Even under Mindstorms, Lego never sold some things (tiny motor tiny motor TINY MOTOR TINY MOTOR) separately unless you were able to finagle an education account so who knows.

E:

TINY MOTOR! This little fucker was basically legal cheating in FIRST Robotics competitions, gently caress yeah, we had like a dozen.
Actual cheating in the first robotics was simply leaving the rcx in the base and unplugging the robot when it got stuck and plugging in a second one to finish the job without the penalty
Ama how I leveraged this into 86 copies of the mindstorms r2d2

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Are there adapters to connect the traditional block style power points with the new jack style?

Thats stuff is all crazy expensive compared to the off brand poo poo on amazon. Not seeing much of a value proposition, the motors don’t even seem to have as many connector spots.

Does the new stuff have variable speed control built in? Feels like the one thing missing from these cheapo ones.

I think adapters from old 2 pin to three pin do exist but you might lose on some functionality with that. Search for Power Functions to Powered Up Adapters.
The new stuff is all meant to be app controlled so it would have the variable speed controls yes.

3rd parties have done something similar with https://sbrick.com/ and these are compatible with the old Power Functions style of motors and lights etc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I finished the Concorde today:
Very fun. Parts of it are incredibly over-engineered and sturdy while others are so tender and fagile. A true Homage to the original.
Had fun the whole way, there could have been maybe half as many bags tho/

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Zero interest in Marvel but drat that's a cool building.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
CMF news from Brick Fanatics:
-It'll take at least 3 more waves to develop and change any the new boxing, if they decide to at all.
-Bringing back the old bags is very unlikely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHNmYY-Mob8

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

The Avengers Tower box leaked:

god drat that thing is massive

this looks mid, i'd rather get the bugle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Oh Lego, please stop running yourself on your own sword with the CMFs. They have to have appeal and value for everyone on the spectrum (pun intended) from collectors who don't even open the things to kids who only buy lego for the experience of losing them in the yard. The new packaging ignores the desires of anyone who doesn't want to buy unknowns, which I as they are finding out is a lot of people.

If you look to past successful mystery box products in this space you'll see that only a few have done what Lego is doing successfully (including Lego). Collectables yes, toys no, a critical distinction that lots of people get hung up on due to the overlap. These are both and must satisfy both if you want to maximize sales. Littlest Pet Shop has done this hundreds of times, buy a tank with two turtles (but you don't know what color/pattern/eyes they have), buy two cats, one of whom is displayed and known and the other is a variant on the same mold or a subset of molds, buy a large tank and get a handful of unknown but tank-appropriate animals, these are successful campaign patterns that made lots of money for them and others. There are rare examples like Tech Decks that did entirely blind box, but those toys had the utility of being a skateboard, bicycle, or scooter and what class of toy inside was I believe always known and they'd all work for the same things, only the grip tape, coloration, and stickers were changed but you were definitely going to do the same sweet tricks on all of them.

Making packs with a single unknown alongside a known (especially multipacks where the knowns are desirable army builder figs where duplicates will matter less and actually be desirable and/or resellable) would drive the perception of value for money and allow consumers to exercise some level of control, especially if the figures were available from a variety of packs with different knowns. This could just be an extension of the line, giving consumers the choice between the 1-fig blind boxes and the packs to get the figs they want. Introducing variants of the figures (ideally both the known and unknown)would also drive the perception that redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing. This maintains the discovery goals of the product while also providing the subset who are dissatisfied with further options and allowing them to make CMF army builders without having the one guy who wants a thousand Chitauri to buy so many that Bricklink sellers delusionally begin to believe the fig is the chase for the set and jacking the prices accordingly. It just gives so many more options and has literally been done or is being done by several other Hasbro properties that it's baffling to me that they haven't even tested it.

Full disclosure, I haven't bought a retail CMF in years, mostly because in my area there's someone who slices bags. I appreciate the boxes, I appreciate that they somewhat solve this problem, I don't disagree that they needed better packages. Unfortunately they eliminated a critical feature and are not taking steps to resolve it, and these things need to sell in order for stores to continue to order and stock them.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 14, 2023