Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s pronounced “ket Shee”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mario's new voice actor says "Wahoo!" wrong.

jk I don't give a poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Uh, no. That was not what I was saying. At all. I said the name Aerith sounds stupid. As an alternative, I suggested that if they wanted to invoke earth without sounding stupid, they could have named her earth in some other language. You're the one harping about a man named Cloud, which is a goofy name but at least doesn't sound like a speech impediment!

The 'speech impediment' thing doesn't make sense. Do you think the word Earth sounds like someone with a speech impediment? Because the only way it sounds like a 'speech impediment' (which is a weird way to phrase it in the first place) is if you're starting from "Aeris." Otherwise it resembles and sounds like the word Earth.

hatty posted:

It’s pronounced “ket Shee”

Ironically https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/airth "Airth" is a Gaelic alternate spelling for Earth so we can get ALL the FFVII name discussions up in here. (It isn't pronounced the same, this is a joke.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 12, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

DLC Inc posted:

I'm curious how many other new things will get put into SMRPG remake / what changes might be made to the script translation. They already renamed Psychopath which I hate lol. Hope the mysterious guy behind the house in Mushroom Kingdom Town steps out for this one

Huh, I wonder if the hidden Toad Town News message board in Paper Mario was a reference to this? :allears: I felt like such a little detective when I found that as a kid.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

We called 'em "chock-a-boos" at school.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

SettingSun posted:

Just replace the names with Yaridovich and Speardovich and we can continue

I'll second.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So a recent datamine seems to have revealed the name of Mario’s new VA in Wonder:

https://gamerant.com/new-mario-voice-actor-mick-wingert/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Good news everyone, Amazon updated my order on Metroid Prime 4!

Tues, December 31st is 2024.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have to assume MP4 is a launch window release for the Switch 2, with maybe a regular Switch release like Nintendo did with TP/BotW.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Buy it again

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've long made peace with the likely scenario that MP4 is getting quietly canceled.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
translations are derivative works and its fine to prefer one over the other for personality over strict accuracy. thank you

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/SuperMarioOOC85/status/1712321956416983269?s=20

The Moviefication of the Mario series has begun time to panic :kingsley:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

translations are derivative works and its fine to prefer one over the other for personality over strict accuracy. thank you

I may be mis-remembering, but I feel like those Detective Jake Hunter games had something like this. I played one on the DS back in high school and the writing was VERY dry, but I believe there was a later DS version that had some more character to the writing.

Aha, here we go:

Wikipedia posted:

Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles is a detective visual novel adventure game developed by WorkJam and published by Arc System Works in Japan and Aksys Games in the United States. It is part of the Jake Hunter series of detective games, and the first to be localized in the West. It was released on July 19, 2007 in Japan, and June 11, 2008 in the United States for Nintendo DS. Marking the series' 20th anniversary, it includes remakes of the series' first five games as well as an additional case. Unlike its Japanese version, the initial Western version of the game lacked three of the cases, and was widely criticized for its poor localization. It was re-released on May 26, 2009 as Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past, also for Nintendo DS, which received more positive reviews for its completely new translation and inclusion of the game's full content.

hatty posted:

Oh poo poo, the angry-Kirby-fication of Peach!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They gave Kirby a gun. Give Peach a gun.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

Kung-fu Peach looks better this way IMO

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

They gave Kirby a gun. Give Peach a gun.

Augus posted:

they gave peach a sword you stupid motherfucker

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

hatty posted:

Frankly, I prefer this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dont get it because left peach is a recent look for her she only looks like that in Odyssey. Melee peach will always be my mental representation of 3D peach.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Peach needed a new face but I dont think they should lean so far towards Anya Taylor Joy peach. Looks dreamworksy to me

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Now where the hell is my game starring Daisy?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Peach needed a new face but I dont think they should lean so far towards Anya Taylor Joy peach. Looks dreamworksy to me
You have issues mate.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I know

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Read After Burning posted:

It comes out on the 20th!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I may be mis-remembering, but I feel like those Detective Jake Hunter games had something like this. I played one on the DS back in high school and the writing was VERY dry, but I believe there was a later DS version that had some more character to the writing.

Aha, here we go:

Oh poo poo, the angry-Kirby-fication of Peach!

I'm not bothered at all by this. As an European, we'll just get the real, non-angrified version anyway. :smug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

I think Aerith is stupid because it sounds like you're saying Aeris with a bad lisp.

No, Aeris sounds like you're saying Aerith with a bad lisp

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I can't stand the modern Dragon Quest translations so the thought of everything in SMRPG having different names is giving me indigestion. I'll live as long as it's just the names and they're not also trying to layer on a bunch of lame rear end jokes and wordplay where none were originally intended.

It's just that to me, suddenly deciding the dude's name is "Speardovich" is as weird as deciding all Shy Guys are going to be called Hi-Hos from now on, or that Boo is called Teresa. Not a value judgment on the names, it's just not what I've been calling 'em for 27 years now. If that makes me Cranky Kong I accept it!

I wonder what the cutoff is for "too famous/long-running to be renamed." Obviously the characters that only appeared in RPG are fair game. On the opposite end you have translations like "Bowser" which are too embedded not to be permanent now. What about other one-game characters, say, from SMB 2? Birdo is pretty much locked, but would they ever rename, like, Mouser back to Don Churuge? Wart to Mamu? If FLUDD from Sunshine came back but was called PUMP would anyone care?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

all your base are belong to us lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

feetnotes posted:

I'll live as long as it's just the names and they're not also trying to layer on a bunch of lame rear end jokes and wordplay where none were originally intended.

Yari is literally japanese for "spear"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

symbolic posted:

all your bathe are belong to uth lol

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Translation arguments: Not even once.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^^ this is captivating and enthralling.

Asking the real questions.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mario are you okay, are you okay Mario?

E. Gadd, E. Gadd, shamone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sham Hatwich

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

hatty posted:

Maybe a hot take but I honestly VASTLY prefer the redone look. It's quite a bit more expressive and you can feel the motion in the whole thing by just changing the face alone. I don't really know how to explain it but the slightly downward facing face, with the eyes looking up creates a sense of movement and the new expression is just much more interesting than the original?

I think people freaked out so much about making Kirby angry they are now seeing this change and it's short circuiting them. But also angry Kirby rules so they were wrong there too

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Asking the real questions.

I was a tomboy growing up, so when the Super Smash Bros Melee trophy description for Daisy referred to her as one, I went

Macaluso posted:

angry Kirby rules

:hai:

Bleck posted:

It comes out on the 20th!

Nabbit stealth/heist game when?!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Peach is now a girlboss hth

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Augus posted:

Yari is literally japanese for "spear"

Technically it's a type of spear. :colbert:

Nah but like I said that one's not that big a deal. In DQ they did stuff like changing longrunning series name "Dharma Temple" to "Alltrades Abbey" so they could make a lame joke about "Jack of Alltrades" transforming into "The Master of Nunn." But now every translation of every new game just uses that name, forever. The names used to be the same between English and Japanese and now they're not!

Again, though, I recognize that this is a very stupid thing to care about. It's not that big a deal and I will play and enjoy the remake regardless :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

feetnotes posted:

Technically it's a type of spear. :colbert:

Nah but like I said that one's not that big a deal. In DQ they did stuff like changing longrunning series name "Dharma Temple" to "Alltrades Abbey" so they could make a lame joke about "Jack of Alltrades" transforming into "The Master of Nunn." But now every translation of every new game just uses that name, forever. The names used to be the same between English and Japanese and now they're not!

Again, though, I recognize that this is a very stupid thing to care about. It's not that big a deal and I will play and enjoy the remake regardless :)

Dragon Quest is a series based heavily around silly puns and ridiculous names. Dharma Temple is supposed to be one of those, but it isn't really something that works as easily in English so they went for a name pun that carries a similar weight.

Edit: Like the point of that particular character is that, on the spot, he comes up with the name Jadharma and considers Akudharma or Warudharma. The "Jack of Alltrades -> Master Of Nu'un" thing captures the goofiness of this joke where he's basically called himself Evildharma

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 12, 2023