Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Suplex Liberace posted:

scrambled tofu also works and is my favorite for quick tasty tacos

I do this or use tempeh. With tofu you can also toss it in the oven and dry it out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think some kind of chickpea could well too, just season it. Also you can press some of it so you get different textures in each bite.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’ve used the bob’s red mill TVP mentioned further up thread, and enjoyed it a lot, as did my omni boyfriend. TVP is rather versatile, way cheaper than that beyond meat stuff, and has an indefinite shelf life, so you don’t need to use up all of it.

When cooking up taco meat, I’m pretty lazy. I’ll fry off some garlic in a pan, add some paprika, ground red chilies (to bring some heat), crushed cumin seed, ground coriander, and a spot of tomato purée. I’ll add some extra oil to keep things moving along. Then once the tomato paste is fried smelling and the spices have moved through the space, I add the rehydrated tvp, taste for seasoning, and give everything a good hit of salt. It takes maybe 15 minutes total, and freezes well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some food I've eaten lately:

Seetaphal/custard apple

Chutney made from turai/ridge gourd peel

The aforementioned turai, along with potatoes, made Bengali style (jhinge aloo posto)

Gawar/cluster beans, cooked Bengali style

Moong dal

Toor dal, rotis, and aloo bhaingan/potatoes and eggplant

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
We used to be able to get this delicious fruit called pawpaw from trees in my region. They're awesome, but basically never grown commercially because the fruit spoils within a few days of picking, and doesn't ship well.

You can buy pawpaw mash/puree online, and use it for baking, but the fresh fruit is awesome.

But the last 2 years, the trees in my area have had little to no fruit. Last year there was some sort of bug/worm on most of the trees, not sure if that was related.

Anyway your assorted fruits and food reminded me of it :v:

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Seetaphal/custard apple

Truly the most appropriately-named fruit. I love these things but you don't see them so often where I live.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some misc recipes (you'll want to omit anchovies on a couple of 'em, and substitute oil for ghee in one):

https://bongong.com/recipe/karyatyachi-kismur

https://thewoksoflife.com/vegan-ants-climbing-a-tree/

https://www.nehascookbook.com/tindora-nu-shak-recipe-giloda-nu-shak-tindli-ki-sabzi-tindora-sabzi/

https://www.nehascookbook.com/lasan-kali-nu-shaak-recipe-lasun-ki-sabzi-lehsun-ki-sabji/

https://thewoksoflife.com/tomato-potato-soup/

https://memoriediangelina.com/2023/06/17/focaccia-barese/

https://memoriediangelina.com/2023/09/09/pasta-ai-peperoni-pasta-and-peppers/

https://memoriediangelina.com/2023/09/16/pomodori-gratinati-gratineed-tomatoes/

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/sep/16/vegan-patatas-a-lo-pobre-recipe-meera-sodha

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/sep/02/vegan-sabzi-polo-herbed-rice-saffron-pistachios-recipe-meera-sodha

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/aug/26/vegan-gochujang-chilli-gazpacho-recipe-meera-sodha

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Behold some pretty neat cookbooks that you may be interested in:

Vegan Africa
Nistisima
The Vegan Chinese Kitchen
Vegan China
Vegetarian Chinese Soul Food

Thank you this is the content I crave.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I love home cooked ground beef, beans, rice, salsa in a wrap.

What is easy to get (Safeway or Costco) that I can use to replace the ground beef?

I probably could use mushrooms, anything else?

e: hah! someone just asked this on the last page.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 9, 2023

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Seitan. Just chop it up and sautée for a couple minutes.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

scrambled tofu

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
This isn't exactly answering your question, but my favourite burrito filling atm is rice and beans; a salsa of tomato, corn, coriander, chilli and lime juice; guacamole; and some sort of hot sauce. All of this to say, maybe just try it without the meat component ?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Please help me, or at least help my guests. I'm providing a vegan, onion-free, nut-free cold buffet. One of them has also been dropping hints that they're tired of falafel being the go-to vegan option.

What would be on your fantasy buffet table that meets these requirements? The onions and nuts are allergies and I don't want to risk it, but it is cutting out a huge amount of vegan foods.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Some sort of pie is my immediate reaction.
Either something phyllo-based, or a faux-quiche-type thing.

For the phyllo, personally, I'd go with one of my absolute favourites, sauerkraut (and beetroot) börek:

The recipe I linked pages ago is dead, but is just about the easiest thing ever, and I can write it up for you if you'd like.

Or something like a modified manitaropita.

For the quiche, I'd use a shortcrust crust, probably use chickpea flour for the egg substitute, and fill it with whatever takes my fancy.

Depending on your setup, I think build-your-own lettuce wraps could work nicely.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can make "meat"balls with quinoa, beans, tofu, or seitan and there are a bunch of store-bought options for these too.

Brined carrots can work as "lox" with fruit or a bagel and some type of vegan spread.

Foccaccia with olive oil, tomatoes, and spices.

Spring rolls work well too, with a dipping sauce.

Chickpea "tuna" salad is a classic.

Ask the onion allergist about other arromats like garlic and shallots as those will be a common ingredient.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lady Disdain posted:

This isn't exactly answering your question, but my favourite burrito filling atm is rice and beans; a salsa of tomato, corn, coriander, chilli and lime juice; guacamole; and some sort of hot sauce. All of this to say, maybe just try it without the meat component ?

Yeah this is my goto especially if you have some extra veggies which you can saute and throw in there too.

I think tempeh, tofu, or tvp would be equally good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Joementum posted:

Chickpea "tuna" salad is a classic.

This one is great, you can also do it with tofu or jackfruit if you wanted to change up the texture.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Quiche, spring rolls and the 'tuna' salad are perfect, thank you! I'll give the 'tuna' a practice run without the onions, but the capers should be enough flavour.

There are two onion allergies! And two nut allergies, who are not the same people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lady Demelza posted:

I'll give the 'tuna' a practice run without the onions, but the capers should be enough flavour.

You could use pickled cabbage or kimchi in place of the onions. Watch out for fish sauce, of course:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Celery often works as an onion sub in recipies too, if nobody is allergic to it. Mostly ones which are using onion to add bulk.

Also, one person might be tired of falafels, but I'm not, they're awesome.
https://cardamomandtea.com/551/the-best-way-to-soak-falafel/

Our food processor broke so we haven't made them in a long time, and I miss them.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Depending on the dish, you can also use asafoetida/hing as a substitute to garlic and onion if you don't want to miss out on those flavours.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lady Demelza posted:

Please help me, or at least help my guests. I'm providing a vegan, onion-free, nut-free cold buffet. One of them has also been dropping hints that they're tired of falafel being the go-to vegan option.

What would be on your fantasy buffet table that meets these requirements? The onions and nuts are allergies and I don't want to risk it, but it is cutting out a huge amount of vegan foods.
Every recipe on this website is onion free. You could see what looks good there.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Every recipe on this website is onion free. You could see what looks good there.

Thank you!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

Shallots work as a substitute for onions in most contexts, if that’s an option.

I bring this to every potluck with 50/50 sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds substituted for pine nuts. The chickpeas can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. It’s always a huge hit among everyone.

https://www.seriouseats.com/roasted-chickpea-kale-salad-sun-dried-tomato-vinaigrette-herb

mystes
May 31, 2006

If someone has an onion allergy they're probably likely to have issues with other alliums, I think

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

In the case of a low tyramine diet, which is rare but not unheard of, shallots can be substituted for onions. Idk the reason that the OP has though.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I recently made a chickpea, coconut and cashew curry. I feel I went a little too hard with the spices, and could keep a little more liquid in the final dish, but it was still quite enjoyable. The thing I like the most about this dish is that it's super quick to make.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks everyone. I'm going to avoid onions, shallots, and garlic, to be as safe as possible.

Truly I never realised how ubiquitous bloody onions are.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some foods:

Rice fermented overnight, flavored this time with a tadka of curry leaves, mustard seeds, urad dal.

Mosambi (sweet lemon)

Stuffed eggplant

The first non-Indian food I've made in a while. Thai green curry.

Mushrooms South Indian style

Beets South Indian style

Potato + spring onion

Another non-Indian dish, pasta alla norma

Very basic okra + carrot (+ onion)

Cumin potatoes

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Dang, I had no idea Manjulas was explicitly no onion. Awesome. Is there a site dedicated to like...nut free vegan recipes that has *good* recipes? Was thinking along the same concept for some of my relatives who don't consider vegan because of nut allergies.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Dang, I had no idea Manjulas was explicitly no onion. Awesome. Is there a site dedicated to like...nut free vegan recipes that has *good* recipes? Was thinking along the same concept for some of my relatives who don't consider vegan because of nut allergies.
I don't regularly follow any but I found this on Google. Lots of vegan sites also explicitly mark out their nut free recipes, like this one. Can't vouch for any of these though. You could check out Chinese food, Ethiopian food, French food, Japanese food, and Korean food, off the top of my head, as cuisines with lots of nut-free vegan stuff. But really almost any vegan-friendly cuisine I think of has plenty of nut free stuff. If you check out lots of recipes I've posted in this thread, many of them are nut free.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Nuts are maybe more common in vegan dishes than non-vegan, but there are still tons of recipes without them. Even recipes with them, they are often used as a garnish that could easily be omitted. In looking through the various vegan main-dish recipes I've bothered to write up, only one has nuts as a non-garnish ingredient.

Nut allergies really shouldnt be a major barrier to trying any type of diet - its possible they are using their allergies as a polite excuse to just not try anything new.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I've a nut allergy and I've been vegan for 10+ years and most trouble I've had that sometimes cafes have only one vegan pastry and it has nuts in it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't regularly follow any but I found this on Google. Lots of vegan sites also explicitly mark out their nut free recipes, like this one. Can't vouch for any of these though. You could check out Chinese food, Ethiopian food, French food, Japanese food, and Korean food, off the top of my head, as cuisines with lots of nut-free vegan stuff. But really almost any vegan-friendly cuisine I think of has plenty of nut free stuff. If you check out lots of recipes I've posted in this thread, many of them are nut free.

yep I saw those two sites searching before I posted about it. I'll forward it on, maybe they'll do something with it hopefully.

The excuse as drk mentioned was what happened when I mentioned it the first time (eating vegan)

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 15, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Iirc she was raised jain, so her recipes don't contain any onions or garlic.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
We interrupt your usual "no fake food" schedule to note that The Herbivorous Butcher Cookbook is include in this eBook bundle if you're interested.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This one is great, you can also do it with tofu or jackfruit if you wanted to change up the texture.

I tried this one and it is delicious, thank you!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made Cajun style red beans and rice for dinner last night.

I've only made it a couple of times but my partner thoroughly enjoys it, so I think it's going to be a keeper. This time I added maybe half a tablespoon of vinegar to simulate the tang from the pickled pork that the traditional recipes have, but I don't think that was enough to add any noticeable tang. Oh well, I guess I better make it some more!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Looks delicious! I haven't made red beans and rice in forever since I live in India but I used to make it all the time. Absolutely delicious. Vegan Worcestershire sauce is one way to add some tang.

Some Jamaican recipes if anyone is interested:

https://jamaicanfoodsandrecipes.com/vegan-recipes/
https://jamaicans.com/jamaica/recipes/recipes-vegetarian/
https://italeatsandtreats.com/cuisines/jamaican/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I like using those dark red kidney beans from the Indian grocery. They keep their nice dark color during cooking and end up looking like the canned ones.