Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Probably sound a bit more electronic on telly, but it’s good. It’s just the Tennant era theme with some choir and oomph, and that’s fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It has the same problem I had with an earlier theme where the more traditional melody crowds out the DUM DUM DUM DUM part

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They redecorated the tune.

I don't like it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

drat good

Youtube link for those that don't Twitter/X or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizcm_Q4l2U

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The first 15ish seconds still has to grow on me but everything after that is absolutely fantastic.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In Davies own words and the content, content, content era we all live in, I wonder if they'd ever do two Doctor Who shows at the same time. Not a spin-off, but two shows starring a Doctor. Give Paul McGann his one TV series before he gets too old.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Harlock posted:

Give Paul McGann his one TV series before he gets too old.

Pleeeease

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
We're definitely getting a spinoff or two.

But, dear thread, a question: Would Davies still be technically fufilling his promise of annual Doctor Who if Who alternated years with its spin-off, (e.g. Season 15 next year, season 16 two years after that, and between that UNITWOOD or whatever) and/or would that (ir)rationally annoy you?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Murray Gold: "I'm doing Doctor Who again? Time to remove my weighted training clothes."

[Bombastic orchestral sting occurs as he drops his baton and it makes a crater in the ground.]

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 12, 2023

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Open Source Idiom posted:

We're definitely getting a spinoff or two.

But, dear thread, a question: Would Davies still be technically fufilling his promise of annual Doctor Who if Who alternated years with its spin-off, (e.g. Season 15 next year, season 16 two years after that, and between that UNITWOOD or whatever) and/or would that (ir)rationally annoy you?

Bearing in mind that the spin offs we've had so far include Torchwood and Class, I would not want to miss a year of Who to get a year of spin off, no.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Class was DOA, let’s be honest. UNIT has much more of a fertile history, and I’d expect some decent stories at least. The BF audios have shown you can tell some very good UNIT tales, and not have a Doctor show up. Or not the one you were expecting. Hello, you…

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
RTD has said that he looks upon the current Star Trek shows with envy, citing that there's continuous Star Trek happening, but all different tv shows from each other. I think that would be a likely strategy for Doctor Who, he'd want the Cardiff studio working all year round, like back in the day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whoa. Middle eight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Animated Who come onnnnn!

Seriously, I’d love a Lower Decks style spinoff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But we've already had a bad story about a Doctor Fan Club.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Holy crap! I'd never thought of this. You could get the current Doc and companions, or any past ones. And it could all be canon! Oooh! This is suuuuuuch a good idea.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/WilliamWhoDW/status/1712536638788874669

Did 15's theme get posted?

Edit: And Ruby's theme

https://twitter.com/i/status/1712534001175638374

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A proper LDS expy for Who could get some super deep cuts in.

“Is that… the Master? Missy? Sabbath?”
“I think it’s just a bloke with a beard.”

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Season 6b, here we come!

Actually, an animated series featuring the Doctor's past companions could be really fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That is… not great. Bit Thunderbirds, VERY James Bond. The bassoon farting throughout is an odd note.

Plus there’s no central theme I can grab onto? The closest thing was near the end where it sounded a bit like 11’s theme. Maybe it’ll be better on screen with some action?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

That is… not great. Bit Thunderbirds, VERY James Bond. The bassoon farting throughout is an odd note.

Plus there’s no central theme I can grab onto? The closest thing was near the end where it sounded a bit like 11’s theme. Maybe it’ll be better on screen with some action?

Yeah, without context I'm not loving it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Without context I'm seeing him on horseback riding up to a wild west train full of weird British monsters until he sidles up next to it and starts hopping cart to cart until he gets to the train cockpit, has it out w conductor, brief interlude doing tinker toy tech poo poo to the controls, then the metal bit where he diverts the train or whatever and it explodes or crashes through the baddies plans and saves the day.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Random Stranger posted:

Murray Gold: "I'm doing Doctor Who again? Time to remove my weighted training clothes."

[Bombastic orchestral sting occurs as he drops his baton and it makes a crater in the ground.]

It all comes back to Piccolo. Orange Piccolo is what's hot now too.

On the Star Beast, Mills and Wagner comic (John Wagner is my fav writer ever), that's fun to see. John Wagner is still writing up a storm in 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Without context I'm seeing him on horseback riding up to a wild west train full of weird British monsters until he sidles up next to it and starts hopping cart to cart until he gets to the train cockpit, makes out w conductor, brief interlude doing tinker toy tech poo poo to the controls, then the metal bit where he diverts the train or whatever and it explodes or crashes through the baddies plans and saves the day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

...I hate it. :cry:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dissenting opinion: this whips rear end.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The word "arse" springs to mind, because that music sounds like it was pulled straight out of one

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TL posted:

Dissenting opinion: this whips rear end.
Genuinely happy and envious.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
That rules I'm hooting and hollering

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah it has me pumped, ive never really listened to a doctor who theme on its own before but this one started getting in my head so I had to repeat

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The word "arse" springs to mind, because that music sounds like it was pulled straight out of one

It's not as strong as 11's (and honestly no Doctor will probably ever get as good of piece as their theme as "I Am the Doctor"), but I didn't hate it. I could feel how it was structured to match on screen action, at least. The opening is the weakest part, though, which definitely doesn't help.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
New title theme: remember when it was 2006 and you didn't have any responsibilities and life was so much simpler? No because I had a job already and also I wasn't watching Doctor Who yet. Anyway it's literally just the OG revival theme.

15's theme: I like this in isolation but I can't imagine it fitting organically into most situations

Ruby's theme: Nothing's ever going to top Clara('s theme) but this is pretty darn good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They should definitely do a Lower Decks cartoon but also Tom Baker's in it in his regular human form. The animators don't know how he got in there, and they're having to scramble in real time to keep the animation up with him but also he's going off script constantly.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

They should definitely do a Lower Decks cartoon but also Tom Baker's in it in his regular human form. The animators don't know how he got in there, and they're having to scramble in real time to keep the animation up with him but also he's going off script constantly.

I also saw Shada, yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I also saw Shada, yes.

You know I've only actually seen the version of Shada that is basically Tom Baker doing interludes to say,"Well anyway, here's what was supposed to happen in the scene we didn't get to film" and then it would cut to the next bit they had filmed. But there's also an animated version (with Richard E. Grant?) , a Big Finish version (that has 8 on the same adventure at the same time filling in for where 4 wasn't?) and I think another new edited version of what was shot?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The BBC made a completed-with-animation Shada in 2017 - it's on the Season 17 Blu-ray set if you don't have it already (I do!)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's not as strong as 11's (and honestly no Doctor will probably ever get as good of piece as their theme as "I Am the Doctor"), but I didn't hate it. I could feel how it was structured to match on screen action, at least. The opening is the weakest part, though, which definitely doesn't help.

This. I Am The Doctor is a really high bar and this doesn't reach it, but it's bloody fun, could imagine some RTD style over the top action happening while it was playing and in the episode reckon it will be awesome.

Was at an event on the weekend that had orchestral bands playing through the day, and as we walked into the gardens they were playing I Am The Doctor. loving slapped.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The BBC made a completed-with-animation Shada in 2017 - it's on the Season 17 Blu-ray set if you don't have it already (I do!)

Oh poo poo, I do! Well I know what I'm doing this weekend then!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Jerusalem posted:

You know I've only actually seen the version of Shada that is basically Tom Baker doing interludes to say,"Well anyway, here's what was supposed to happen in the scene we didn't get to film" and then it would cut to the next bit they had filmed. But there's also an animated version (with Richard E. Grant?) , a Big Finish version (that has 8 on the same adventure at the same time filling in for where 4 wasn't?) and I think another new edited version of what was shot?

The earlier animated one was with McGann, and they wrote a special prologue where he goes to pick up Romana. I actually quite liked it, and, maybe rose tinted glasses, but preferred it to the animated version they completed. Possibly because you're doing it all from scratch rather than slotting bits into live footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I Am The Doctor and All the Strange, Strange Creatures are neck and neck for me.