Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jossar posted:

Ah well, I suppose for $10 it wouldn't be the worst purchase in the world, especially for something more streamlined/quick, but I do have Civ 6 floating around waiting to be reinstalled and that's probably the better call unless I get truly frustrated with playtime. Thanks for the info!

It was part of a humble choice not too long ago, might be people giving the key away. It has at least $10 dollars of design work. But as far as having a fun time its more in my $5 dollar range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I probably have a spare key if I correctly recall buying Ozy myself. If you want it, I would need to know the month to look for it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Quick search says July 2023, and darn that looks like a pretty nice month all around.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Doesn't look like I can send you an Something Awful PM, but Humble allows me to give a steam key and I can create a gift link or send you an email. How and where would you like me to send it to you?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Something Awful: It would cost me more to buy the Plat upgrade for PMs than to just buy Ozymandias.

EDIT: Received and redeemed, thanks! Will report back after trying it out, though might not be tonight.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 3, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

No trouble, sent in two seconds. Can edit out your email from your post.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 3, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Ozy isn't in my top ten list regardless of the criteria I set, but it's a pleasant enough mix of 4x and board game for me. In fact, the more I think about it, it kind of feels like there is a less RNG game of Risk in there as well.

My main problem is I tend to focus more on the traditional 4X play, and lose to the AI achieving a victory condition I forget they could reach.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar posted:

EDIT: Received and redeemed, thanks! Will report back after trying it out, though might not be tonight.

Eh, I guess I can toss up some initial thoughts after dumping an hour into it.

The vibe I'm getting is a lot less like any big 4X and more like Slipways, if that makes any sense? As individual types of the "lunch break genre" they're pretty similar: one part 4x, one part puzzle game, about an hour-ish in play session. What's weird is I know these aren't even the only examples, there's a bunch more that are vaguely lurking in the back of my head just out of reach, but I guess at least partially due to their simple nature none of them have quite had the impact to stand the test of time. So instead you just get one pop up every few years, people go "oh, that's clever", play it for a few weeks (maybe obsessively, maybe not) and then forget it exists.

If I had to compare the two, Ozymandias definitely feels like the one I'll like more, and if it can hold my attention for long enough might be more enjoyable than a lot of other 4Xs precisely because even if the late-game starts to drag, it'll still be over in like 20 minutes rather than hours of pressing the next turn button. But unless I get super-obsessed over the next few days, I'm coming around on the notion that this isn't really a game you want to spend more than $5 on, maybe its listed sales price of $10 if you're feeling generous.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I tried ozymandias but the game is brutal. You really have to understand the mechanics and play a lot of games before it clicks. It's one of the very few games I've played where I failed the tutorial multiple times.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I played Ozymandias and got decent at it but i felt like the lines of play got fairly obvious and the game doesn't push you too hard- Hexarchy kinda became much more enjoying to me in that niche because it's got a lot more going on, though there are some flaws at the moment.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I never thought about trying Ozymandias multiplayer before, but maybe I would engage more with it mentally as a board game with a person on the other end. And I wouldn’t be waiting for someone to play out tactical combat or script combat like Dominions 5.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lowen posted:

I just personally feel like RMG is a core feature of 4X gameplay.
No RMG, not a 4X - it's something else.
That's just personally how I see it, and I think that's why when I tried Ozymandius it wasn't appealing to me.

Without RMG it's usually a Grand Strategy like Total War or Crusader Kings.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One of the X's is "explore" - which usually means that the player is not supposed to know the lay of the land to begin with.

It's totally doable if you have a large-enough pool of designed scenarios, but random generation is usually the easiest way to achieve it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I feel that a game called Ozymandias shouldn't be winnable in the traditional sense.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I feel that a game called Ozymandias shouldn't be winnable in the traditional sense.

4Xs are a great implementation of the poem's (/s') theme, IMO. I've won countless 4X games of various stripes, forged great pixel mans empires, destroyed my opponents and subjugated their peoples. Then the victory screen pops up, and I promptly forget all about it. Some games keep high score lists I guess?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

It isn’t, really. You can be busy conquering the map, ruling a successful empire and still lose. The core conceit of not being forgotten by history is why you have a sort of achievement/objective based victory point system instead of simple victory and lose conditions. Not so innovative for a board game, a bit rarer in computer strategy

Page 5 of the manual (steam store page) has a few examples. Like build the ancient colossus by having twelve armies/fleets for three out of seven ‘crowns’/victory points needed for a win or building the pyramid by having fifty pop. Both of those are as simple as they sound but not as easy with all the possible distractions going on.

Edit: while I rambled that mess up above, apparently Ozymandias (the statue, not the game) is Ramses 2?

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 3, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

LordSloth posted:

I never thought about trying Ozymandias multiplayer before, but maybe I would engage more with it mentally as a board game with a person on the other end. And I wouldn’t be waiting for someone to play out tactical combat or script combat like Dominions 5.

Yeah, I feel like that's what ultimately would save the game long-term, is if you shifted to purely multiplayer after completing all the scenarios, so it could still have its simplistic systems while guaranteeing that you end up with differing experiences on a game-to-game basis. Of course, that makes it a little bit more difficult to coordinate, but it still does hit that board game sweet spot of "hey, we can actually get this done in a night" that even an online speed game of civ usually doesn't absent a very long playsession.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Jack Trades posted:

Without RMG it's usually a Grand Strategy like Total War or Crusader Kings.

Jabor posted:

One of the X's is "explore" - which usually means that the player is not supposed to know the lay of the land to begin with.

It's totally doable if you have a large-enough pool of designed scenarios, but random generation is usually the easiest way to achieve it.

Yeah! I think that's it.

And why I didn't like Ozy much.
I mean I like grand strategy games sometimes, or just strategy games - but they're not the 4X games near and dear to my heart.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ozymandias has great core mechanics that they seemed too afraid to exploit. The game is great the first 10 times you play it, but why would you play 11?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

Ozymandias has great core mechanics that they seemed too afraid to exploit. The game is great the first 10 times you play it, but why would you play 11?

Well according to the rules I only have to play my board games 10 times, so that works out.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

So I had enough Epic Store credit and tried out the Sins of a Solar Empire 2 beta. I was wrong and it's actually turning out really good.
It *is* basically a remake of the original game, including all of the expansions and dlc, into a 64-bit engine. However, they heavily tweaked and polished what mechanics worked in the original Sins and trimmed out the parts that didn't work in relation to things like pirates, minor factions, diplomacy, and research. I'll list a few of the major changes between 1 and 2 that I noticed.

- All of the missiles, fighters, and turrets are modelled and function independently. Not only does it make huge space battles really drat beautiful to watch, but those anti-air ships from the first game can now be used to shoot down missiles, which fixes a big problem the first game had with people spamming missile ships until they won. I can't overstate how beautiful the huge battles when you watch two equal-sized fleets fight in the gravity wells.

- There are now special resources (kind of like Stellaris) that are rare to find at the start in order to make capital ships, starbases, gear (more on this later) and some lines of research. It's an interesting mechanic at the beginning of the game because you can choose if you want to use your income to gamble for rare mineral searches on planets, or rush for planets that have them visible. These can also be traded by players and are lost if the ship or starbase is destroyed. Down the research path, refineries can be used to make rare resources too but its limited to how many refineries you build on the map.

- The planets and asteroids now all move around the suns and the phase lanes change overtime. This can be turned off in the map settings and there is a UI option to look into the future trajectories of the planets and where the new phase lanes will change. I really, really like this. There's a custom map where planets are slowly moving in both directions and you will have planets from one empire eventually will pass through another, resulting in some great strategic play.

- Since its a remake of the entire Sins 1 game, the game has undergone some chronological changes to how each of the races will play. The TEC of both factions play very much identically to their Sins 1 counterparts in terms of starting positions and progression. The Vasari, on the other hand, are completely reworked and start the game from outside the map. You have to first find a ferrous planet and settle it before you can build anything. This gives them a much slower start, but this is made up for in two ways: First, they don't use credits, only metal and crystal. You can sell resources for a small amount of credits to use for diplomacy and dealing with both pirates and minor factions. Second, they start out with a very generous amount of both. The Advent aren't in the beta as of yet, but I'm interested to see what they do with them.

- Capital Ships can now be customized through purchasing gear for them, much like an RPG. There are limited use abilities, like self-repair and radiation warheads, but also permanent abilities and buffs that fall into three categories: offensive, defensive and utility. You can also find gear on planets, research it, or buy some off the pirates or minor factions. The repair-bay will install them without penalty, but you will incur a huge construction speed penalty normally and construction will stop completely if you are attacking.

- The UI is the big change. It took me a game or two to get used to but it's a really good evolution of the first game. It streamlines managing fleets and planets much better when your focus is on the galactic map.

- The A.I. is a lot more competent overall. It's not a giant leap, but it makes better decisions and puts up a good fight now.

Now for some of the negatives I've noticed:

- If you didn't like the original Sins of a Solar Empire, you will not like this game. It still has an awful late-game like every other 4x where everything is a slow slog and the enemy won't surrender. There are custom options to alleviate this, like having "kill the enemy's homeworld" as a win condition, but it still is a pain in the rear end and the least fun part of the game.

- Lots of asset re-use. This to me is the main reason why there is little interest in the game. I really can't fault people for looking at it and going "its the same game again." I think a more proper label for it would be "Sins of a Solar Empire - Second Edition" than a traditional sequel. I'm guessing that they are really hurting for funding, given that its only available on the Epic Store as an exclusive.

- No campaign :bang: Come. The. gently caress. On. The game is *begging* for a single-player campaign.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 1, 2023

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Any chance the assets being reused are just place holder?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Entorwellian posted:

...tried out the Sins of a Solar Empire 2 beta.

Ah, I played a fair bit of Sins 1 and had heard there was a sequel, but not much more.

Entorwellian posted:

... its only available on the Epic Store as an exclusive.

Oh. Well there's the reason. Maybe I'll take a peek at it when the exclusive runs out.
If they survive that long.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Theotus posted:

Any chance the assets being reused are just place holder?

It's entirely possible. There are some new ship models in it but a fair amount of them look like they were taken from the first game. Also goes for voice overs and a chunk of the music tracks.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 5, 2023

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I'm looking forward to it. Never got around to playing Sins but always thought it looked cool.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sins of a Solar Empire 1 but now 64 bit, with better performance, updatedish graphics, and as good or better modding ability is perfectly acceptable for a sequel. The state of Sins 1 modding literally got to the point of the mods teetering on the edge of breaking the game engine, and having that but with more ability to breath would be awesome. Of course, it all depends on the game being moddable. Base Sins is fine but it really shines when people get to fold, spindle, and mutilate it.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Same, I really, really liked Sins of a Solar Empire way back and I just want to play it again.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Entorwellian posted:

So I had enough Epic Store credit and tried out the Sins of a Solar Empire 2 beta. I was wrong and it's actually turning out really good.

I have been waiting for this to get far along enough not to be just a tech demo - which it seems it has.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Boatswain posted:

Same, I really, really liked Sins of a Solar Empire way back and I just want to play it again.

Then do? SoaSE is on both Steam and GOG.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Interstellar Space: Genesis? It's on my wishlist which must mean somebody, somewhere, at some point said something good about it, but now that it's on sale I've completely forgotten. It looks kinda like indie MoO?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Interstellar Space: Genesis? It's on my wishlist which must mean somebody, somewhere, at some point said something good about it, but now that it's on sale I've completely forgotten. It looks kinda like indie MoO?

That seems to be the consensus. MoO2 clone but that it does a great job at it if that's what you're looking for.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Indie MOO2 but without reallocating pops and with fancier leaders. Some interesting stuff with the racial abilities. But ultimately another member of that family.

Fanatical had it in a bundle with all the expansions for the price of just the latest expansion. But can't find it now. If you do get the fancy version talk about the race specific culture differences please.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Steam Nextfest has a demo for Microcivilizations and it’s pretty cool! It’s a semi idle clicker with a research tree, a local map, leaders with stats and historical eras (demo only has the neolithic) and invasions. Not a clicker player by any means, but it’s really fun!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Steam Nextfest has a demo for Microcivilizations and it’s pretty cool! It’s a semi idle clicker with a research tree, a local map, leaders with stats and historical eras (demo only has the neolithic) and invasions. Not a clicker player by any means, but it’s really fun!

Yeah, it's pretty fun. I doubt there's more than 2-3 playthroughs to it, but as long as it's priced accordingly there's nothing wrong with that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you liked Stacklands, you might enjoy WitchHand:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420880/WitchHand/

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Sup 4xNerds. The good folks over at mapgoons (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973361&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) [me] are hosting our second Fall From Heaven 2 PBEM using the Extramodmod, uh, modmod. Signups just opened today, so if anyone is interested in trying it out or maybe even just subbing for someone down the line, do check it out ( https://discord.gg/ZYsAM8hbTV). Newbies welcome!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This may shock some people but it looks like that Stellaris Star Trek game is garbage.

Reviews are that it's low quality, low number of races and ships, bad VA, etc.. and that you should just play one of the Stellaris ST mods.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 13, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RandomBlue posted:

This may shock some people but it looks like that Stellaris Star Trek game is garbage.

Astonishing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s too bad, I bought it for my Star-Trek-game wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lotta reviewers seem to think there's the bones of a solid 4x game there independent of the license but 1) Paradox seems to have weirdly skimped out on parts of said license so phasers don't even sound like phasers and 2) It's buggy as poo poo.

Curious to see if they iron it out enough for people to say its okay.