Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

she should have the mechanical arm but have it swap sides every time the camera cuts away from her

"I have a MECHANICAL ARM?!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Edit: for subtle movie moments, the importance of boots to Nox. Think someone did a youtube film essay about it? -Maybe Ellis when she was still doing them?- Just subtly showing character motivations and relationships and what not. Max just grabbing him that boot with the other stuff, is a great subtle way of showing how their relationships changed.

Lindsay started making videos again, she just only releases them on Nebula these days (maybe her Patreon too but I don't subscribe to that)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kantesu posted:

Lindsay started making videos again, she just only releases them on Nebula these days (maybe her Patreon too but I don't subscribe to that)

Oh sweet! Subscribed to Nebula, but I keep on ending up watching the people on there on youtube anyway. Eh, as it's creator owned at least it's one streaming service I don't mind mindless handing over cash to.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BiggerBoat posted:

Chiming in just to concur that Fury Road kicks loving rear end.

It didn't win Best Picture, but if there is ever a Most Awesome Movie award, it should get that.

dr_rat posted:

Oh sweet! Subscribed to Nebula, but I keep on ending up watching the people on there on youtube anyway. Eh, as it's creator owned at least it's one streaming service I don't mind mindless handing over cash to.

I'll watch stuff on Nebula to skip adds, and then try and remember to leave the YT version playing muted in the background at some point. That gets them both views.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Y'all should watch The Limits of Control for the mother of all "happens offscreen" scenes. Maybe Down by Law too.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Mad Max is great because even the excessive nonsense actually makes sense.vWhy are the pregnant wives so important?

They aren't just sex-slaves, they are some of the few people we see that aren't disfigured or diseased. Joe needs them to get a viable heir because his other sons came out 'wrong' with obvious physical and mental deficiencies. It was alllllllmost a waste not to Master-Blaster his little son onto his meathead son.

How does one control an army of loud-rear end vehicles without radios?

You can't shout orders to them. You can strap up a dude with a flaming guitar and a bunch of drummers and amps. Signal him and he signals the rest of the fleet. The flaming guitar guy is a vital element of military organization.

Why do the cars have shoe-store-foot-measurers on the gas pedal?

Because you can clamp them in place if you want to floor it while you stand on the hood chucking spears and screaming maniacally.

The only real flaw to me in Fury Road is the day-for-night scenes. I always think it looks awful in this and Lord of the Rings and every other movie where night-time is just a blue tint.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Where do they get all the fuel and ammunition for those fleets of cars? From Gas Town and The Bullet Farm, of course.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think Nux talks about Valhalla being where you McFeast for eternity. Ouch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SimonChris posted:

Where do they get all the fuel and ammunition for those fleets of cars? From Gas Town and The Bullet Farm, of course.

That material resources are front and centre isn't new for the franchise, but it's definitely a welcome theme. And of course lends itself to some great gimmicks

Is also some great visual storytelling that while rationing food, ammo and fuel as precious resources is a major theme for the protagonists, the leaders of the alliance are all themed with conspicuous consumption; Immortan Joe who controls water and food throws lives away and 'distributes' water in the most wastefully theatric way possible, Gas Town's flagship rig is literally a mobile refinery and their leader is the People Eater literally dressed as a BDSM banker, and the Bullet Farm leader is covered in ammo belts and literally goes full auto on dual machine guns after being blinded. Probably the opposite of subtle moments, but still, it's fun.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Mad Max is great because even the excessive nonsense actually makes sense.

Why do they keep all the cars' steering wheels in a shrine where they pray to the V-8? Because it gives Joe an easy way to secure the vehicles if there's ever any kind of uprising.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cat Hatter posted:

Why do they keep all the cars' steering wheels in a shrine where they pray to the V-8? Because it gives Joe an easy way to secure the vehicles if there's ever any kind of uprising.

And there's War Rig's sophisticated startup code, even and especially in the post-apocalypse where a functioning vehicle is even more life or death than it is now, security is extremely important.

I think I remember reading some design notes on the vehicles; Immortan Joe's war rig has a cab on top of a cab to demonstrate 'In a world where most people don't have one of anything, Joe has two of everything.'

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Goons apparently love movies where important events happen to important characters off screen but “somehow palpatine returned” sucks

Smdh

Well, it all depends on what you consider to be important. Someone coming back from the dead? Pretty important. Someone with a replacement arm that is never commented on or even drawn attention to? Probably not as important. It's not important enough to factor into the plot in any way, at the very least.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Mad Max is great because even the excessive nonsense actually makes sense.

And part of why there is just so much to the world maybe because Miller was working on it for a massively long time. I mean why it was pulled off so well was care and talent, but yeah, it was a project that was worked on a lot.

Also, just want to put a shout out to Margaret Sixel, the editor. God drat is it not a most brilliantly edited movie.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And there's War Rig's sophisticated startup code, even and especially in the post-apocalypse where a functioning vehicle is even more life or death than it is now, security is extremely important.

I think I remember reading some design notes on the vehicles; Immortan Joe's war rig has a cab on top of a cab to demonstrate 'In a world where most people don't have one of anything, Joe has two of everything.'

Joe's car also has two engines that each visibly have two turbochargers. I think it's specifically two Cadillacs, just to make it even more ostentatious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

“Somehow Palpatine returned” is special because of the additional context with all the behind the scenes drama that led to them going back to that well.

The movie does of course explain the somehow before the end, but… who cares it’s funnier.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and the Bullet Farm leader is covered in ammo belts and literally goes full auto on dual machine guns after being blinded. Probably the opposite of subtle moments, but still, it's fun.

Multiple ones. Each time it cuts back to him he is firing bigger weapons visually, but iirc there is no break in the audio of him firing, so his guns are just magically getting bigger between cuts.

It's great.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a direct quote from Miller, I believe in the making of clip I linked upthread.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Y'all should watch The Limits of Control for the mother of all "happens offscreen" scenes. Maybe Down by Law too.

Saw both of those as a double feature with a Q&A afterwards and it's been over a decade but if I recall Jarmusch said he likes to skip over the climatic event because he finds it funny to build to something and never show it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Limits of Control is an incredibly funny movie. It has one punchline, but it spends the whole movie building towards it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think one of the most frustrating trolls I've seen online was a revision of The World's Longest Joke, which reverses the punch line's wording wrt the serpent and the lever so that it's no longer a joke. This after like 20 minutes of storytelling.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Saw both of those as a double feature with a Q&A afterwards and it's been over a decade but if I recall Jarmusch said he likes to skip over the climatic event because he finds it funny to build to something and never show it.

The Dead Don’t Die was absolutely stuffed with amusing postmodern filmmaking choices like this

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Every time people talk about George Miller being a genius director, there's an annoying place in the back of my mind that goes "The Happy Feet guy??"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s Academy Award winning Happy Feet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

That’s Academy Award winning Happy Feet.

yea well the academy awarded both Titanic and Dances with Wolves so that's not really indicative of much is it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
happy feet rules

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's a weird anti-zoo message shoved in the middle, but overall it's a solid movie.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CainFortea posted:

yea well the academy awarded both Titanic and Dances with Wolves so that's not really indicative of much is it?

So I take it you aren't one of the people arguing for the Oscars to focus more on popular movies that Joe Moviegoer actually watch then.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

So I take it you aren't one of the people arguing for the Oscars to focus more on popular movies that Joe Moviegoer actually watch then.

I'm saying they already are focusing on popular movies and popular does not mean good.

To be clear before the next post, I am not arguing that popular means not good either.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences has been toying with the idea of a "Most Popular" Oscar for a couple years. We'll see if they follow through with that threat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe then we'll get a Best Picture winner that's actually the Best Picture again

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe then we'll get a Best Picture winner that's actually the Best Picture again

I liked Everything Everywhere All At Once. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure people will just keep ignoring the oscars.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure people will just keep ignoring the oscars.

Ignoring the Oscars for some
Enjoying the Oscars for others!

Perfectly balanced as all things should be

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Fury Road totally tells you how the arm was lost. Remember the Big Rig's door? The one with the skeletal arm painted on it? Maybe you missed it, whenever the rig is just cruising the mechanical arm is hanging out the window. Obviously a habit left over from the lost arm.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

habituallyred posted:

Fury Road totally tells you how the arm was lost. Remember the Big Rig's door? The one with the skeletal arm painted on it? Maybe you missed it, whenever the rig is just cruising the mechanical arm is hanging out the window. Obviously a habit left over from the lost arm.

It's actually a simpsons reference. Director just thought it crass to have the whole conversation..."how'd you lose the arm?'' Well, let's just say, when your teacher warboss say keep your arm inside the vehicle, you listen!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fall Dog posted:

There's a few neat little moments and set pieces and it positioned itself as an unofficial prequel to Fury Road.

What I like about the game is that it's literally no way of telling if it's a sequel or a prequel.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alhazred posted:

What I like about the game is that it's literally no way of telling if it's a sequel or a prequel.

It shows up cheap on Steam sales, $5 last I saw it. I got more than 100 hours out of it, it's such a beautifully bleak and violent experience. Hand to hand combat is exceptional, great control and fantastic finishing moves. And when driving you get a harpoon gun to yank parts off cars! Or parts off people. Highly recommended.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mllaneza posted:

It shows up cheap on Steam sales, $5 last I saw it. I got more than 100 hours out of it, it's such a beautifully bleak and violent experience.

It certainly is one of the bleakest games I've played:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Only marred by the voice actor never being told how to pronounce Dinky Di.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Oh good we're still still talking about mad Max

scary ghost dog posted:

The Dead Don’t Die was absolutely stuffed with amusing postmodern filmmaking choices like this

More Jarmusch posting please