Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I kinda like the mcgriddle sandwiches as an occasional breakfast treat. Other than it being bacon and not sausage, that seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randalor posted:

I kinda like the mcgriddle sandwiches as an occasional breakfast treat. Other than it being bacon and not sausage, that seems fine.

McGriddles*

https://twitter.com/Mill226/status/1712503234823340494

How does this move y'all's priors on the Cornel West run vis a vis it being a grift or not?

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1712561814649888933

Also the also-rans in the GOP primary race are falling over themselves to condemn Trump's comments on Israel. They think that they see weakness on this, my concern is that it leads to half of MAGA becoming virulent anti-semites. It does seem like there's overwhelming public sympathy for Israel nationally and I feel like Trump made a major misstep (even the rally crowd wasn't biting on the Hezbollah is smart, Israel is dumb material), but I don't know how enduring that will be or if Trump can shift his base the other way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 12, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

selec posted:

I mean not that they’d agree, but the entire foundation of campaign fundraising is corruption to most outsiders who aren’t invested in the legitimacy of the system. It’s a system of buying influence through money. Big PACs and donors know specifically what they hope to get. That all of it has been grandfathered into legality by both parties doesn’t make it not that; it just means you can’t call it that in certain contexts, most importantly contexts where the kayfabe must be upheld. It’s all corruption, though. Nobody with any meaningful power wants publicly funded elections because it would gently caress up the game. Same with most other election reforms; the grift works as it’s supposed to right now.

Even if all this was the case and the "entire foundation of campaign fundraising is corruption," paying a restaurant to cater an event would not be an example of such corruption.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

zoux posted:

McGriddles*

How does this move y'all's priors on the Cornel West run vis a vis it being a grift or not?

It's a good thing being president doesn't require a lot of time or effort or energy. Likewise for getting 50 state ballot access by your self, the only alternative for an independent to feasibly win. Definitely a serious candidate. What a fraud.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

McGriddles*

Every campaign is a grift; as an Iowan I know the economic impact of losing first in the nation status to the consultants, scammers and polling boiler rooms that infested our state for years.

So, knowing that, he’s all good for me, can’t complain, says the right things and I’m in Iowa, it’s not like my votes gonna tip it. May have my 24 vote, will have to see if anybody funnier or more inspiring jumps in though.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Even if all this was the case and the "entire foundation of campaign fundraising is corruption," paying a restaurant to cater an event would not be an example of such corruption.

Who’s paying? What’s the event, and who’s invited? How much are they paying to attend? Because based on those questions, yeah, to me it’s part of the work of corrupting our democracy, a job they’ve done so thoroughly and completely we have voters defending it from outside the grift. They won.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zoux posted:

Also the also-rans in the GOP primary race are falling over themselves to condemn Trump's comments on Israel. They think that they see weakness on this, my concern is that it leads to half of MAGA becoming virulent anti-semites. It does seem like there's overwhelming public sympathy for Israel nationally and I feel like Trump made a major misstep (even the rally crowd wasn't biting on the Hezbollah is smart, Israel is dumb material), but I don't know how enduring that will be or if Trump can shift his base the other way.

lead to becoming virulent anti-semites? that's optimistic on the current makeup of the maga crowd

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lead to becoming virulent anti-semites? that's optimistic on the current makeup of the maga crowd

Yeah pretty sure the venn-diagram of MAGA and antisemitism is a circle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

selec posted:

Who’s paying? What’s the event, and who’s invited? How much are they paying to attend? Because based on those questions, yeah, to me it’s part of the work of corrupting our democracy, a job they’ve done so thoroughly and completely we have voters defending it from outside the grift. They won.

The campaign pays for the food, which has to be at standard rates. This isn't complicated. It's subject to reporting requirements, which is the entire reason we have information about it at all. Your other questions have nothing to do with it; you're declaring your conclusion and that facts don't matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah pretty sure the venn-diagram of MAGA and antisemitism is a circle.

I'm not sure, there's a lot of evangelical MAGAs and they have a weird relationship/view of Jewish people. Especially in the South where there aren't many Jews, they're often seen as kind of a interesting novelty (which I guess could be a form of more-or-less benign bigotry, at least compares to how anti-semitism often manifests). I mean they are always talking about our "Judeo-Christian" values and history, Christians generally acknowledge that Jews and Christians worship the same god - an opinion they do not extend to Muslims. Also they are necessary component of evangelical eschatology. Many mainstream interpretations among evangelicals say that the Book of Revelations allows for 144,000 Jews to enter paradise when Christ returns

An anecdote that I think clarifies this is, I have one Jewish friend, and she was photographing a wedding a few months ago, it was a huge Christian deal and one of the guests asked her "which Church family do you belong to" and she told me she debated not saying anything revealing, but ended up telling the woman that she was Jewish. My friend was shocked at her reaction, which was one of interest and novelty, (I believe her exact words were "Oooh you are so rare, like a gemstone".) Then I told her that Christians like Jews because they think that the state of Israel must extend to its historical borders in order for Christ to return which astonished her.

Anyway, liking Jews because you believe they have to die by the millions at the battle of Armageddon I guess is kind of anti-Semitic, but it's not going to lead to people shooting up synagogues.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 12, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

The campaign pays for the food, which has to be at standard rates. This isn't complicated. It's subject to reporting requirements, which is the entire reason we have information about it at all. Your other questions have nothing to do with it; you're declaring your conclusion and that facts don't matter.

I do have a conclusion, you’re right, but it’s something I’ve come to long before seeing a Republican crow about “the campaign” spending a bunch at a restaurant.

We’re never going to agree on whether or not lobbying and the way fundraising is set up is corruption or not; I’d argue that it’s impossible for agreement to happen because we are approaching the world from fundamentally different angles, which can never be reconciled. I’m fine with that, it doesn’t mean that you’re “right” as much as it means we live in different moral universes, and there is basically an unreachable gap: I’m never going to see this amount of money spent on politics as anything but naked corruption, it cannot be other than what it definitionally is, to me. That much money cannot exist in those quantities for the ostensible purpose of getting someone elected without it being underpinned by a substrate of graft and corruption. One proceeds from the other, as sunburn from too much sunshine. The presence of so much money necessitates even more money, it cannot ever end, and that only works out well for people who have that kind of money already: it eliminates the ability of average American preferences to figure in any meaningful way in how our politics shake out at the policy level, ie my old standard refrain:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...4D4893B382B992B

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

I'm not sure, there's a lot of evangelical MAGAs

An anecdote that I think clarifies this is, I have one Jewish friend, and she was photographing a wedding a few months ago, it was a huge Christian deal and one of the guests asked her "which Church family do you belong to" and she told me she debated not saying anything revealing, but ended up telling the woman that she was Jewish. My friend was shocked at her reaction, which was one of interest and novelty, (I believe her exact words were "Oooh you are so rare, like a gemstone".) Then I told her that Christians like Jews because they think that the state of Israel must extend to its historical borders in order for Christ to return which astonished her. .

In the South generally Jewish people are seen as "white" these days, and that overrides. Antisemitism is still present but it's a candle only visible when the sun of anti-black racism is in eclipse.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

zoux posted:

...my concern is that it leads to half of MAGA becoming virulent anti-semites.
Emphasis mine. I have some bad news for you.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

zoux posted:

Then I told her that Christians like Jews because they think that the state of Israel must extend to its historical borders in order for Christ to return which astonished her.

This really gets to the heart of it for a lot of right wing religious people in the US. Jews in their view aren't seen as individual people, but rather as a collective line item on the scavenger hunt that needs to be completed before Jesus can return, in order for him to murder billions of people. So, the right wing needs Jews (and Israel) to exist, but only neatly within the box that they place upon them. It's honestly not that dissimilar from the "shut up and dribble" mentality that a lot of these same people have when it comes to sports, insofar as they don't want the non-whites gone (they perceive the sport wouldn't be as fun to watch), but they don't want them to have any expression of individuality or opinions outside of the predetermined narrative.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

single-mode fiber posted:

This really gets to the heart of it for a lot of right wing religious people in the US. Jews in their view aren't seen as individual people, but rather as a collective line item on the scavenger hunt that needs to be completed before Jesus can return, in order for him to murder billions of people. So, the right wing needs Jews (and Israel) to exist, but only neatly within the box that they place upon them. It's honestly not that dissimilar from the "shut up and dribble" mentality that a lot of these same people have when it comes to sports, insofar as they don't want the non-whites gone (they perceive the sport wouldn't be as fun to watch), but they don't want them to have any expression of individuality or opinions outside of the predetermined narrative.

While that is part of it, you are all thinking a bit too hard on this.

Jewish people in the United States (mostly) vote Democratic and the Republicans want to drive any wedge they can in support of the Democratic party.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MicaSoellnerDC/status/1712464703979479317

Jordan's people are also going through Scalise's financials, accusing him of further swampery with his wining and dining

It's great they're going to tear their party apart.

Usually I can at least see some sort of insane logic for wanting to be the lord of the ashes. But these are the worst possible ashes to be lord of, and I can't believe that we've got like 3 people fighting each other to replace McCarthy. All while Kevin is bumbling around in the background trying to appear totally above it, constantly repeating the phrase, "Sure, I'll save you guys!" under his breath.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1712434325378003046

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MicaSoellnerDC/status/1712505885791043667

McGriddles is overselling it, just a simple Egg McMuffin shows you are both fiscally responsible and have elegant good taste.

By including bacon and cheese he can be exclusionary to any muslims, jews or buddhists who might have accidentally joined the Republican party.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
This (free) article is really interesting and worth reading.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...6wXfeRa3qnILqEU

If that link doesn't work, try following from here: https://twitter.com/harari_yuval/status/1712181178634011084

quote:

Moreover, irrespective of how much blame one ascribes to Israel, this does not explain the dysfunction of the state. History isn’t a morality tale.

The real explanation for Israel’s dysfunction is populism rather than any alleged immorality. For many years, Israel has been governed by a populist strongman, Benjamin Netanyahu, who is a public-relations genius but an incompetent prime minister. He has repeatedly preferred his personal interests over the national interest and has built his career on dividing the nation against itself. He has appointed people to key positions based on loyalty more than qualifications, took credit for every success while never taking responsibility for failures, and seemed to give little importance to either telling or hearing the truth.

The coalition Netanyahu established in December 2022 has been by far the worst. It is an alliance of messianic zealots and shameless opportunists, who ignored Israel’s many problems — including the deteriorating security situation — and focused instead on grabbing unlimited power for themselves. In pursuit of this goal, they adopted extremely divisive policies, spread outrageous conspiracy theories about state institutions that oppose their policies, and labeled the country’s serving elites as “deep state” traitors.

Sounds very familiar. :/

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Ah, so there's some good news this week. Thanks!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

McGriddles*

His base will do what they always do and claim he never said that (fake news), attempt to explain why he was right or, probably, just outright ignore it. Given all the RWM talk I've been hearing this week, it's all Biden's fault anyway because something something Iran and that's all the MAGA's really need to know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1712617344055284119

gently caress me lmao

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
e:fb

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Chaos reigns!
:krakken:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Guess the 10th time Matt Gaetz told him to nut up or shut up he gave up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Jim Jordan speakership will be our Liz Truss era.

I don't think he's got the votes though

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
No way Jordan has enough votes

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Scalise is a real role model: https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1712618555122864425

My prediction at this point is that they somehow keep McHenry on as speaker pro tem and work out a way to resolve the debt ceiling thing before eventually finding a new real speaker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

Scalise is a real role model: https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1712618555122864425

My prediction at this point is that they somehow keep McHenry on as speaker pro tem and work out a way to resolve the debt ceiling thing before eventually finding a new real speaker.

Yeah I think Bresnahan had something about that, working out a deal to let the government lurch forward under a caretaker O'Henry while this all does whatever it is gonna do

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WTF?
You should at least try, see if multiple ballots wear down the opposition.
That's how these things work.
And if you're not gaining, well...things will probably break someone's way eventually. Maybe, Jordan's, maybe a darkhouse. But you have to get out there and have the votes.

Multiple votes, every day for a week or two and they will start to shift in favor of someone.
And if they can't, like it's 1855, then you will at least have proof, instead of just throwing up your hands in the air and giving up before you begin

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1712620687653781979

Not making a play, besides authorizing surrogates to leak that oh, if he HAS to he GUESSES he'll be speaker again

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Wow. He really just took his ball and went home.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Robviously posted:

After like seven years of these, you’ve done the best one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Smarter move than remaining in the race, dumber move than never entering it at all.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Oh this bitch is shutting down for sure.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Robviously posted:

So beautiful. Should have sent a poet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

smug n stuff posted:

The debt ceiling is good for the next two years. They raised it an unlimited amount for the next two years as part of the deal last summer.

The upcoming crisis is about government funding because McCarthy had a deal on spending levels, but his caucus thought he got rolled because there were no nominal cuts in it (just freezing spending growth at 1%, so there were relative cuts because it wasn't keeping up with inflation) and then McCarthy tried to back down. But, he's been deposed so his original deal doesn't even matter anymore because he can't honor it even if he wanted to and whoever replaces him is going to have even less incentive to abide by his deal. Republicans want big cuts, but don't want to specifically cut popular things, so they are trying to get "cap budget at 10% lower than it currently is with no specific cuts and make Democrats sign on to choosing the specific things to get cut so Republicans can say they voted for spending cuts without saying they voted to cut meals on wheels or military healthcare." Democrats obviously don't like that, so the government is going to shut down in mid-November if they don't pass a budget.

Pretty bad situation, but less bad than a debt ceiling default.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it going to shut down before or after the VA Senate elections?

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1712638503551398132

Republicans in disarray!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aren't republicans incapable of passing ANY budget at the moment? Not just incapable of one that can also pass the senate, they can't even come up with a spending bill at all and even if they also controlled the Senate and Presidency the government would still shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Lone Badger posted:

Aren't republicans incapable of passing ANY budget at the moment? Not just incapable of one that can also pass the senate, they can't even come up with a spending bill at all and even if they also controlled the Senate and Presidency the government would still shut down.

They would probably be able to scrape together something, but the result of McCarthy's desperation to be Speaker means that the most insane nihilists are able to veto nearly anything. So long as the rules let 5 or less Republicans call for a new Speaker, they will be unable to even pass the bills with overwhelming Republican support and slight Democratic support.

In a world where Gaetz can't call for a new Speaker on a whim, a poo poo sandwich of a Budget that everyone hates almost certainly would make it through to Biden. It would have cuts that go against the Debt Ceiling agreement, but it would be as much as they could claw through via Manchin, Sinema, and the baseline desire of Biden and the Democrats to not shut down the government.