Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rocket Pan posted:

[Zscript] is precompiled, I believe even into native x86. The issue is it's still not part of the actual executable so the scripts have to be called into/out of to run and fetch results, which has overheads. Plus zscript won't have 50 years worth of C machine code optimizations. This normally wouldn't be an issue (we use AngelScript for some Kex projects, notably Turok and Blood, and it works a similar way) but they also made zscript run basically the physics as well. It's doing way too much of the work, and that work is still the same as its old workload where it has >128bits worth of flags controlling branched behavior and such.

There is an adage somewhere that you should never write your own language. Zscript is this example.

Would Zscript benefit from running on an existing popular runtime like one of the JS engines? It would probably increase the size of the executable quite a bit but those have no end of effort put into making them fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
getting slightly too far out of thread topic but i guess i'm a few years out of date now, what are P and E cores?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Rocket Pan posted:

Worth noting, it's not on by default. There is a "Render threads" option in page two of the video options that controls it, best results are to set it to the number of real cores (i.e not hyperthreaded) your CPU has. If you have a modern intel with E and P cores, this value should stick to the number of P cores you have as Eternity doesn't (can't?) use E cores. We haven't figured out a good way to automate the default for this yet.

It is precompiled, I believe even into native x86. The issue is it's still not part of the actual executable so the scripts have to be called into/out of to run and fetch results, which has overheads. Plus zscript won't have 50 years worth of C machine code optimizations. This normally wouldn't be an issue (we use AngelScript for some Kex projects, notably Turok and Blood, and it works a similar way) but they also made zscript run basically the physics as well. It's doing way too much of the work, and that work is still the same as its old workload where it has >128bits worth of flags controlling branched behavior and such.

There is an adage somewhere that you should never write your own language. Zscript is this example.

ahhh, so zscript basically allows you to write your own pseudo engine at the expense of doing it in a sort of JIT compile on a VM or some poo poo, instead of saying "nah gently caress yuo, edit the engine code and compile that poo poo"

that's a choice, definitely

and i think everyone should write their own language so they can understand why they should never write their own language, if that makes sense

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

site posted:

getting slightly too far out of thread topic but i guess i'm a few years out of date now, what are P and E cores?

Performance / Efficiency. P is for single-thread (ie the game), E for background stuff

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
E-cores are also slow enough that I believe you will slow down stuff like video encodes by using all performance and efficiency cores in a job, instead of keeping them idle and only using the performance cores.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tim Thomas posted:

ahhh, so zscript basically allows you to write your own pseudo engine at the expense of doing it in a sort of JIT compile on a VM or some poo poo, instead of saying "nah gently caress yuo, edit the engine code and compile that poo poo"

that's a choice, definitely

and i think everyone should write their own language so they can understand why they should never write their own language, if that makes sense

As I recall GZDoom uses AsmJIT on supported platforms to generate optimized x86 (and maybe ARM?) code to speed up ZScript. Unfortunately that limited platform support means anybody else, including RISC-V and Power machines, don’t get AsmJIT, so it’s thumped over to an unoptimized C interpreter that offers inferior performance. Further, I think from briefly reading the source that AsmJIT support is toggled by enabling or disabling intrinsics with a small approved list of architectures, and they’re disabled for unsupported platforms. Why is that bad? Because it means I can’t force -DNO_WARN_X86_INTRINSICS for the compiler and have GCC/LLVM’s header libraries translate GZDoom’s optimized SSE2 code to equivalent Power SIMD code, which hobbles the speed of the true color software renderer and potentially affects the hardware renderer too.

Yes I use Linux why do you ask

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone know if Sprawl had a demo pre launch? I downloaded a demo months and months ago and didn't get around to playing it before the game dropped and you couldn't play the demo anymore for some asinine reason, nor was there an updated one to show off the 1.0 features and that honestly seems like it would be it. This has been eating at me for a while now and I've been going through every game released since June 20th to ??? see if anything looks familiar. It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Necrovision is the only other game besides Kane and Lynch 2 that made me sick while playing it. There's just so much screen shaking and too many low-res screen effects.

Ion Fury kind of overstayed its welcome for me. I can forgive shortcomings of the Build Engine (yeah I know it's not technically Build) when it comes to playing older games, but having to deal with the engine's iffy hitboxes and geometry causing problems with weapons are things I don't have the patience for in a new product. The visual design and lack of enemy variety were also two issues. It's not bad, just not enough to keep me going.

I'm really looking forward to Selaco after trying it out, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Selaco is going to own and I'm pretty sure Beyond Sunset will too. I started playing them at the same time so I kinda built it up in my head that they'd release near the same time unfortunately not :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It has been several hours where in the 69 billion dollars microsoft are my Hexen and Heretic remasters

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Barudak posted:

It has been several hours where in the 69 billion dollars microsoft are my Hexen and Heretic remasters

Where are my Gamepass Call of Duties? I don't even care if they're online I just wanna shoot some AI dudes while the US military tries to convince me it's cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Where are my Gamepass Call of Duties? I don't even care if they're online I just wanna shoot some AI dudes while the US military tries to convince me it's cool.
The CoDs are definitely coming, since they're all backwards-compatible on Xbox and the 360 era games had their matchmaking miraculously repaired recently, leading to an amusing resurgence in BLOPS2 play.

Official word from Microsoft's blog post is that they're just starting on Game Pass-ing poo poo today and will have more to share "in the coming months", which I'm reading as probably a drip feed starting next month.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

The CoDs are definitely coming, since they're all backwards-compatible on Xbox and the 360 era games had their matchmaking miraculously repaired recently, leading to an amusing resurgence in BLOPS2 play.

Official word from Microsoft's blog post is that they're just starting on Game Pass-ing poo poo today and will have more to share "in the coming months", which I'm reading as probably a drip feed starting next month.

Activision themselves said earlier this month it would be a while, I'm just impatient.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Activision themselves said earlier this month it would be a while, I'm just impatient.
Activision's comment was specifically regarding Diablo 4 and Modern Warfare 3 (2023), the new stuff that just came out. I think older things will be much quicker, especially on Xbox where everything's already in the system.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Will this also see digital releases of Hexen II: Portal of Praevus and Heretic II? We can only hope...

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Hasturtium posted:

including RISC-V

Is there anything consumer grade actually available with RISC-V?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Yes. This channel covers a ton of them https://youtu.be/1apoFXZ9ad8?si=F10bwnQ_-F27bQNe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Actually just played Dusk multiplayer with 2 other people! Holy poo poo, it's like the fastest thing I've ever played. It's way faster than any quake

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Milo and POTUS posted:

Actually just played Dusk multiplayer with 2 other people! Holy poo poo, it's like the fastest thing I've ever played. It's way faster than any quake

Dusk multiplayer rules extremely hard

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

shoeberto posted:

Arivia’s got it, but the bizarrely named MILK-V board threatens to be computationally formidable, or at least enough to get up to some real mischief with open source games. I couldn’t say whether GZDoom will run well on it, but the multithreaded 8-bit software renderer should scoot along well. We’ll see.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

A friend gifted me Forgive me Father and I feel kinda bad because.. uhhh.. I’m really not feeling this at all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm just about ready to throw in the towel on Turbo Overkill. The Maw fight at Napalm Blitz is just aggressively unfun. You can't keep your distance because he blends into the background and is impossible to hit with anything short of the ion cannon. You can't keep close because then you can't dodge his one-shot melee. There's no cover since since his attacks can randomly go through platforms and walls. And there's zero pickups in either of the first two phases and God knows how many more he's got after that.

Is there something I'm "not getting" about the fight? I really liked the showdown with Ripper that came before it, final phase aside there were plenty of approaches and all the weapons were effective, here it just feels I'm not doing anything to him.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

anilEhilated posted:

I think I'm just about ready to throw in the towel on Turbo Overkill. The Maw fight at Napalm Blitz is just aggressively unfun. You can't keep your distance because he blends into the background and is impossible to hit with anything short of the ion cannon. You can't keep close because then you can't dodge his one-shot melee. There's no cover since since his attacks can randomly go through platforms and walls. And there's zero pickups in either of the first two phases and God knows how many more he's got after that.

Is there something I'm "not getting" about the fight? I really liked the showdown with Ripper that came before it, final phase aside there were plenty of approaches and all the weapons were effective, here it just feels I'm not doing anything to him.

I'm trying to recall details of that particular fight, but I remember that I had the mod that gives you invulnerability while dashing and I'm pretty sure I had the one that extended your bullet time ability, and was more or less dashing as frequently as I could while using the SMG Assault Rifle upgrade to work him down from afar. There's a part where you confront Maw in the dark room with pillars, and I used the sawed off for that, dashing + circle strafing away from him. For the final segment in the real world, I leaned into the time slowdown ability and just dumped as much damage into him as quickly as I could with either the Assault Rifle or the Chaingun.

This was on "Serve Me Pain" difficulty for what it's worth.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm playing on Street Cleaner so difficulty downgrade is not going to be an option. That being said, I tried it a couple times using your method and I'm definitely having more consistent results. Dash is something I've mostly been ignoring since sliding is so much more fun and I just don't like using assault rifles in games so didn't spend much time with that either.

I'm also doing decent damage with the dashing into enemies cybermod but that's pretty risky; still, a lot more fun than trying to throw the fucker's projectiles back at him.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 13, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

anilEhilated posted:

Well, I'm playing on Street Cleaner so difficulty downgrade is not going to be an option. That being said, I tried it a couple times using your method and I'm definitely having more consistent results. Dash is something I've mostly been ignoring since sliding is so much for fun and I just don't like using assault rifles in games so didn't spend much time with that either.

I'm also doing decent damage with the dashing into enemies cybermod but that's pretty risky; still, a lot more fun than trying to throw the fucker's projectiles back at him.

Nice!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

anilEhilated posted:

Well, I'm playing on Street Cleaner so difficulty downgrade is not going to be an option. That being said, I tried it a couple times using your method and I'm definitely having more consistent results. Dash is something I've mostly been ignoring since sliding is so much more fun and I just don't like using assault rifles in games so didn't spend much time with that either.

Not sure if it's unlocked for you yet, but another thing to look out for, the magnum instagibber upgrade. If you can charge them up and then use bullet time, you'll deal tons of damage if you keep your accuracy up

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh I wasn't aware, I have to try it.

GZDoom : 90 fps on Sunder Map15
Eternity: 190 fps on the same map.
Helion: 2070 fps on the same map.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 14, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bumhead posted:

A friend gifted me Forgive me Father and I feel kinda bad because.. uhhh.. I’m really not feeling this at all.

Forgive Me Father is Fine. Its a game that, if it had come out a few years ago, would have been more exceptional. As it is, its a competent shooter with a strong visual style, but nothing to really recommend it over the heavy hitters that are filling the subgenre at the moment.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I saw someone refer to "Forgive Me, Father" as "I'm Sorry, Dad" and I'm obsessed with that.

"My Bad, Pops."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My Apologies, Padre

I didn't play the first game but tried the demo for 2 and got about 4 minutes in. It just feels so bad to play. :(

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I wonder if the first game’s reception depended on which character the player chose. I went through as the journalist as I was promised a more attacking play style but in the end I just got worse skills and more frustration.

It also did a reverse Amid Evil for me; that game went from good in the early episodes to amazing at the end, while FMF started alright and just got worse and worse. This culminated in the only time I’ve ever seen someone decide that what they wanted to make was those nightmare jumping puzzle sections from the original Max Payne but with worse physics and less visibility.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Marrow got an update and now includes separate versions for Raze, nBlood and Fresh Supply.

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 14, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LvK posted:

I saw someone refer to "Forgive Me, Father" as "I'm Sorry, Dad" and I'm obsessed with that.

"My Bad, Pops."

lol

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HolyKrap posted:

Not sure if it's unlocked for you yet, but another thing to look out for, the magnum instagibber upgrade. If you can charge them up and then use bullet time, you'll deal tons of damage if you keep your accuracy up
Just beat him using a combination of your advice - assault rifle for 1, magnum for 2, shotgun for 3 and chaingun for 4. The last two phases were a lot easier. Thanks a lot!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 15, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Just beat him using a combination of your advice - assault rifle for 1, magnum for 2, shotgun for 3 and chaingun for 4. The last two phases were a lot easier. Thanks a lot!

Nice work.

I'd love to say it's all downhill from there, but it definitely is not.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Based on Interlude, I'm really looking forward to Cultic Chapter 2. Great way to let us play with some of the new toys and keep hype up.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

@ Portland retro

Never seen a retail release of wolfenstein : SoD before

E: correction my copy of Spear was a smaller yellow box with the name FormGen on it that I’d pulled out of a Best Buy dollar software bin in 97 thinking it was a kind of unauthorized mission pack ala the CDs full of BBS dumps of wads.

FormGen is great name for some guy’s Windows 3.1 business shareware app

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 16, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sick box

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Coffee Jones posted:

Never seen a retail release of wolfenstein : SoD before
Spear of Destiny was retail only, but yeah it's a nice box with the reflective foil letters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Where'd BJ get that kalashnikov