Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'M READY EDF EDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2574770/Megaquarium_Deep_Freeze__Deluxe_Expansion/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFTDsX5h9ks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dotAge is really good y'all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

They hire those actors off Fiverr or something?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress yes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Clearly the developers of that XCOM Indiana Jones game did something very wrong because EDF proves again and again that you don't need quality nor budget to make a successful game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

dotAge is really good y'all.

It is like all the stupidest villagers from Actraiser got together in a somehow more hellish world and I am down for it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mordja posted:

They hire those actors off Fiverr or something?

That would be extremely on-brand for EDF

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Edf voice acting is part of the reason why I will happy pay $60 for it

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
If you like deck builders you may enjoy Balatro which is a poker styled deck builder. Build poker hands to earn chips to beat the ever increasing blinds and use cash that you earn to buy cards to make said poker hands worth more and more chips.

The game isn't fully out yet, but the demo gives you a great understanding of how the game plays. I find there is a lot of depth since you may not want to build a deck around the strongest poker hand. I've beaten the demo by playing a Pair as my main hand and buffing it with certain jokers and planet cards to encourage playing just a Pair.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2379780/Balatro/

Kuros fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 12, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sab669 posted:

if EDF 5 was $60 I suppose this will be too? :(

Man I wish Exoprimal didn't end up being dumb
I would pay $70 since it is significantly larger. The second mission pack is larger than Monster Attack.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What is going on with the $3 game Lizards Must Die, it has nearly 8k reviews and it came out Sept 23.

Is it an actual good game or did some streamers start playing it and precipitate a viral moment?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

omg so soon yessss

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hell yeah, megaquarium is low key my favorite management game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

What is going on with the $3 game Lizards Must Die, it has nearly 8k reviews and it came out Sept 23.

Is it an actual good game or did some streamers start playing it and precipitate a viral moment?

I have no idea but the reviews don’t do a good job selling it either.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

pentyne posted:

Skimming the reviews and it mostly sounds like a meme game but man when the "most helpful" review offered up to me references ZOG (Zionist Occupation Government, AKA The Evil Jews International Conspiracy)... That already puts me on edge. Then another one says,

quote:

in your window the harsh reality is , how they [the lizards] have now settled in modern Europe, laid eggs and "modern and progressive" parades are held!

Umm...

And on top of that, invoking lizard people in conspiracies is usually just one step removed from saying The Jews as well.

It's just a thread of it going through, especially since I can't read the Russian reviews to see how prominent it might be there, but oof. It's just enough to make me uncomfortable and not want to check if the game itself seems to be indulging that or just incidentally attracting that sort because of the setting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
loving yikes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Join Ebenezer Scrooge and a team of spectral allies as they battle to save London from the clutches of the wealthy industrialist, Caspar Malthus, and his militant Private Guard. With each Ghost lending their unique abilities, explore the dark corners of London and uncover the sinister influence of the Dark Spirit and an army of Unrepentant Ghosts. Will you have the courage to confront Caspar and stop his malevolent plans before it is too late?"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2351120/Ebenezer_and_the_Invisible_World/

Somehow Lies of P isn't the most ridiculous adaptation of an old story into a game this year.

Orv
May 4, 2011
God bless the public domain.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ImpAtom posted:

"Join Ebenezer Scrooge and a team of spectral allies as they battle to save London from the clutches of the wealthy industrialist, Caspar Malthus, and his militant Private Guard. With each Ghost lending their unique abilities, explore the dark corners of London and uncover the sinister influence of the Dark Spirit and an army of Unrepentant Ghosts. Will you have the courage to confront Caspar and stop his malevolent plans before it is too late?"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2351120/Ebenezer_and_the_Invisible_World/

Somehow Lies of P isn't the most ridiculous adaptation of an old story into a game this year.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, noted anti-capitalist, Ebenezer Scrooge.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Ah, noted anti-capitalist, Ebenezer Scrooge.

Did you finish the story?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jusant is really good. I’m excited for the full release.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

pentyne posted:

Is there a way to check when games you already own have DLC on sale?

claw game handjob posted:

They're kind of working on this in that the on-login Special Offers window will now show you an alert for this.

...But it doesn't seem to be universal or based on most recently played games, because it sent me an alert for Hearts of Iron recently and I haven't touched that in years.

Now that one popped again: it seems much less useful, because I guess it only notifies you if the game you're missing DLC for is the daily deal.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can someone say more words about this game because literally just yesterday I was wishing for a management sim about running an aquarium.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's good! It's basically RCT but with aquariums, a tiny dash of Evil Genius on the building side and a bit lighter on the financial side, though it's still there and more important to the management than a lot of the last few years of the genre.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Did you finish the story?

He doesn't abandon capitalism, he just embraces charity.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone say more words about this game because literally just yesterday I was wishing for a management sim about running an aquarium.

It's good fun, you have to carefully cater to each creature you want to put in a tank and try not to let them eat each other. Hide functional stuff so customers don't trip over it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Another round of Next Fest demo impressions, but this time it's a ~VIRTUAL REALITY~ special (sorry flatscreeners):

HMM - Chrono Hunter: In some ways the game is kinda neat and impressive in that it has so much variety: you start out as a kaiju swatting away little attackers, then you're human-sized again doing missions, first blasting slimes with a magic gun, then you're in a stealth sequence, then you're shooting bows, then you're having a big melee brawl with any weapons you can get your hands on, and so on. But at the same time it really felt unfocused: it's throwing all these toys and upgrades at you only to take them away the next mission, so you never get a sense of permeance and nothing gets a chance to breathe. It didn't help either that much of the missions felt terribly easy and bland, with the stealth sequence being just outright terrible. It was also quite unfinished with a lot of missing audio. I guess it's technically an alpha so I shouldn't be too mean: I'd say it has promise with a lot of potential mechanics that can be combined, but at the moment nothing felt executed well enough for notice, averaging out to be a bland mush.

NICE - The Burst: Now THIS was a pleasant surprise and the kind of thing I love Next Fest for: I had never heard of this game but you better believe it has shot up to the top of my wishlist now. Just felt like a great Half-Life 2-esque action-adventure with solid and immersive gunplay, parkour and grappling, all within a grungy, rusted desert world ala Mad Max. Was really impressed at how well-paced the adventure was, going from riding a desert bike to climbing/wallrunning/grappling through mountainous terrain to duking it out with bandits, and how creative you could get in the combat encounters: sure you can just shoot your guns, but the grapple glove allows you to get really creative and pull guns right out of enemy hands, chuck explosive barrels, pull down scaffolding and crush people, or just swing around and dodge fire, among other things. Really cool stuff!

OK - Bootstrap Island: A very impressive and immersive survival experience, akin to something like Don't Starve! It's technically very short (only lasting 1 very short game day which is around 5 minutes real time) or so before the island volcano erupts and halts your play, but there's a lot to do on the island and all of it feels very intuitive: crack open coconuts, hunt crabs, explore for treasure, learn to use a flintlock pistol, and of course, gather wood, flint and tinder to build a fire. The game also has an incredible cinematic flair with events like a battle against wolves who attack at night and a charming narrator. Part of me is a bit cynical though: as said, it is very much like one of those early short VR 'experiences' and I'm not sure how much is smoke and mirrors to look good and how much it'll scale for the full release and what the actual gameplay will be like. If they do pull it off and maintain the same quality they did for this experience, though, it'd be incredible, so I wish them well.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

People are saying this, more and more.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

EDF on 360 eventually worked out to like 1/10th of a cent per hour of playtime or something ridiculous like that for my friend group. I’m pretty sure at one point the system stayed on for four days straight as we were grinding weapons and armor and having a blast doing it.

Can’t wait for this.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

disposablewords posted:

Skimming the reviews and it mostly sounds like a meme game but man when the "most helpful" review offered up to me references ZOG (Zionist Occupation Government, AKA The Evil Jews International Conspiracy)... That already puts me on edge. Then another one says,

Umm...

And on top of that, invoking lizard people in conspiracies is usually just one step removed from saying The Jews as well.

It's just a thread of it going through, especially since I can't read the Russian reviews to see how prominent it might be there, but oof. It's just enough to make me uncomfortable and not want to check if the game itself seems to be indulging that or just incidentally attracting that sort because of the setting.

I don't really see it in the Russian reviews. People are saying it's weird how good it is a for a cheap meme game and are happy to have a decent game set in the ancient Rus lands, but I didn't see any antisemitic (or anti-Ukrainian) stuff in the top reviews at least. I'm not up to speed with current nazi/Z lingo though

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

quote:

battle against the Lizards of Herod

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lmao

also from the top of the store page description:

quote:

Epic battles with hordes of lizards and other herods

That's pretty unambiguous. Kill the Jewish lizards

Herod was the king of Judea (technically there was an entire dynasty)

E: nevermind, repeating a previous post

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 13, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orv posted:

God bless the public domain.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

I don't really see it in the Russian reviews. People are saying it's weird how good it is a for a cheap meme game and are happy to have a decent game set in the ancient Rus lands, but I didn't see any antisemitic (or anti-Ukrainian) stuff in the top reviews at least. I'm not up to speed with current nazi/Z lingo though
Isn't "ancient Rus" basically a nationalist propaganda construct? There was the Kyivan Rus but that was a distinctly multi-ethnic state.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Interested to see what the "releasing poo poo on Steam" roadmap looks like from here and how quickly it happens now that the Microsoft/ABK deal is done.

Already having Overwatch 2, Diablo IV and Tony Hawks 1+2 is faster progress than I expected, and honestly I would have only speculated that any of them would be arriving in 2023 before they actually did.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any reason why we shouldn't expect to see Dead Island 2 on steam, probably fairly soon? Like the studio isn't owned by epic or anything right?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

explosivo posted:

Is there any reason why we shouldn't expect to see Dead Island 2 on steam, probably fairly soon? Like the studio isn't owned by epic or anything right?

Looks like not until at least April '24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aw. Well, I can wait it out.