Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arivia posted:

It's actually supposed to be why Voyager has the goofy nacelles that raise into an angled position when it goes to warp.

It always amuses me to point out that yes, that was the original intention (it was in the writers' guide and everything), but they forgot to ever actually say so in the show and so it still isn't canon. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arivia posted:

Also they mention it like once more in TNG.

I think it's more than once actually, they do a surprisingly good job of not blatantly contradicting what that episode set down. Clearly at least one person on staff was tasked with reviewing future scripts, crossing out any references to Warp 9, and replacing it with something lower or a dramatic reason why they got an exemption from Starfleet to exceed the limit. (Or as a bit of a cheat, "maximum warp"!)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 12, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I can't warp 5.5

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Sir Lemming posted:

I think it's more than once actually, they do a surprisingly good job of not blatantly contradicting what that episode set down. Clearly at least one person on staff was tasked with reviewing future scripts, crossing out any references to Warp 9, and replacing it with something lower or a dramatic reason why they got an exemption from Starfleet to exceed the limit. (Or as a bit of a cheat, "maximum warp"!)

It’s probably the same person who went through Voyager scripts and made sure every reference Neelix made to his lungs was changed to lung singular.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DesperateDan posted:

between that and the one where picard forces a whole planet to go cold turkey it feels like there was a war on drugs episode quota in place

That's one of the Second Contacts from Lower Decks. It, uh, eventually worked out for that planet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mllaneza posted:

That's one of the Second Contacts from Lower Decks. It, uh, eventually worked out for that planet.

Yeah, they took up fitness instead so it was all good!

It helps quiet the voices in their heads!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The funny thing is that it has to retcon the end of the TNG episode because whay picard did was too hosed up

quote:

See, there's the Enterprise leaving us with no drugs, and here's all of us freaking out.
We were in a bit of a bad place for the first, oh, ten, 14 years, but, we figured it out.

The Enterprise didn't leave them with no drugs, it left them with exactly one container of drugs, a few months supply if evenly distributed to the whole planet, and which everyone on that planet believed were necessary to their continued survival.

Which is perhaps the single most destabilizing thing you could possibly do.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikeJF posted:

Nah, it wasn't near a planet or anything. Space is really big.

Also they do mention that ships usually went around the plasma belt it orbits inside.

Yea it sounds like you have to go to a VERY SPECIFIC set of coordinates for it to open

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That racist poet found it earlier

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
New Star Trek game releases today, join us in the thread here if you're interested in it - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042510&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's in the Denorios Belt which is dangerous waters which is why it wasn't explored fully

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thom12255 posted:

New Star Trek game releases today, join us in the thread here if you're interested in it - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042510&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Already one review is mentioning that it's buggy as poo poo and almost unplayable at times

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-trek-infinite-review

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm sure I'm going to waste tens of hours on that game eventually but I'm going to apply the same technique I do with every game nowadays

Wait for months until it's been patched to a point where it's playable

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
second sight is a sort of mediocre episode but man the guy (richard kiley) who plays the terraformer completely nails it. what a great guest character

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fenna? Fenna turn this episode off.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sounds like they spared no expense

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

zoux posted:

Fenna? Fenna turn this episode off.

the episode isnt good so i just skip the bad romance and bask in the guy perfectly playing a complicated egotistical genius

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thinking about it, are there any "Main cast gets a new gf/bf for one episode" episodes that aren't dogshit? I can think of three off the top of my head that are consensus bottom 10 DS9 episodes (Second Sight, Melora, Meridian)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

genetically enhanced girl is.. not great. the closest thing to "temporary love interest" that is satisfying in star trek imo is garak/ziyal

edit: and honestly that one is really good even if it doesnt really count

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

Already one review is mentioning that it's buggy as poo poo and almost unplayable at times

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-trek-infinite-review

Bad score on IGN usually means the game is good

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

zoux posted:

Thinking about it, are there any "Main cast gets a new gf/bf for one episode" episodes that aren't dogshit? I can think of three off the top of my head that are consensus bottom 10 DS9 episodes (Second Sight, Melora, Meridian)
Lessons is good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

People like City on the Edge of Forever.

I think the TNG ep where Picard falls for the commander with the roll-up piano is kind of nice

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

People like City on the Edge of Forever.

Yeah that's a good one.

Then you have the one where Harry gets photon herpes from his gf that he's not supposed to be seeing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

e: Argh, beaten to it.

Fine, let's see... does K'Ehleyr count as a one-episode fling? She does come back but it's not like they really get to resume the romance.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

If Grilka counts as a girlfriend then House of Quark. Rejoined isn’t bad either. Maybe that episode where Odo actually has sex? It’s probably mediocre at best though, don’t remember really anything else about it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Oh hey Melora is the next episode in my watchthrough, should be fun:toot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Favorite Son, where Harry Kim gets kidnapped by the black widow planet, is fun and pulpy although maybe not exactly what you're thinking of.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

If Grilka counts as a girlfriend then House of Quark. Rejoined isn’t bad either. Maybe that episode where Odo actually has sex? It’s probably mediocre at best though, don’t remember really anything else about it.

Oh yeah, Odo's First Time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Maybe it's just when the relationship stuff is front and center, I think HoQ is more about "what if Quark had to be a Klingon" rather than he specifically gets a GF. The one with Quark and the cardassian lady that's a rip off of Casablanca would count though, and that's a mid episode for sure. (Though we do get some background on Quark and what he did during the war)

Powered Descent posted:

e: Argh, beaten to it.

Fine, let's see... does K'Ehleyr count as a one-episode fling? She does come back but it's not like they really get to resume the romance.

Nah, she's recurring and they had a previously existing relationship. That stuff can be used to build out a character's background and add depth; I'm more thinking about poo poo like Aquiel where it's someone we've never seen and never see again.

I don't know how to categorize the Leah Brahms stuff, it's pretty cringe but I like both of them.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 12, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Odo finally getting laid one was pretty good I think

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

The Odo finally getting laid one was pretty good I think

Which one is that?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

zoux posted:

Which one is that?

A Simple Investigation in season 5, I think.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

zoux posted:

I don't know how to categorize the Leah Brahms stuff, it's pretty cringe but I like both of them.

Opinions are opinions and all that, but I'm still seething at how that situation resolves, to the point where I can't help but just NOT LIKE Geordi when he shows up on screen now. Her having to apologise to him is one of the most egregious failures in writing on the show so far, it doesn't make any goddamn sense. Where he should be getting at the very least a polite rebuke and a lesson learned, he instead gets a pat on the head for being such a good boy and a "so sorry I was being a bitch".

Like, NO! No you weren't! He was being weird and overly personal the entire time, even before the secret holo-sex doll was discovered!

MuddyFunster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 12, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidcrockett08/status/1712572420341608452

lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gene sex mandate

The real prime directive.

The first duty of every Star Trek show... is to horny. Whether it's scientific horny, or historical horny, or personal horny. It is the guiding principle on which Star Trek is based.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
It's odd how you can get thrown from an episode like it was a car crash. Inheritance was good enough up to a point, Data finding out he has a mum is a fine idea, was happy to roll with it. The stuff about Lal was nice and yet again, I feel it really should have come up earlier when Data met Soong. If there's any complaint about that whole section of the episode and it's one I have about a lot of episodes; the planet core stuff is entirely tension/interest free. It feels like a lot of the time, that sort of stuff gets pushed to the background and is rendered dull. But! As I said! Happy to roll with it! But the kicker, the big turning point; mumsy is an android, a revelation rendered less shocking, more hilariously amusing by the fact that her arm falls off. That was the moment the whole thing wrecked. Spiner turns up in the holodeck as Soong, another rubbery appliance taped over his fizzog, doing his lovely Jimmy Stewart impersonation and I just could. Not. Give. A. poo poo. It didn't need to end like that, what a terrible final act.

Parallels begins hilariously with Worf celebrating his victory in a bat'leth competition ("The conditions were difficult. Several contestants were maimed...") and then getting a surprise birthday party. It continues on that note of just being a fun, faintly frivolous thing with some fun alt-universe jumping. I like that one of the universes has Data with baby blue eyes and it's not hugely signified or commented upon. I think the real draw of this one is that it doesn't quite feel like it should be a Worf episode. Any other member of the crew would probably work just as well, but because it's him, it feels out of whack in a very enjoyable way. Goofy as hell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

It's odd how you can get thrown from an episode like it was a car crash. Inheritance was good enough up to a point, Data finding out he has a mum is a fine idea, was happy to roll with it. The stuff about Lal was nice and yet again, I feel it really should have come up earlier when Data met Soong. If there's any complaint about that whole section of the episode and it's one I have about a lot of episodes; the planet core stuff is entirely tension/interest free. It feels like a lot of the time, that sort of stuff gets pushed to the background and is rendered dull. But! As I said! Happy to roll with it! But the kicker, the big turning point; mumsy is an android, a revelation rendered less shocking, more hilariously amusing by the fact that her arm falls off. That was the moment the whole thing wrecked. Spiner turns up in the holodeck as Soong, another rubbery appliance taped over his fizzog, doing his lovely Jimmy Stewart impersonation and I just could. Not. Give. A. poo poo. It didn't need to end like that, what a terrible final act.

Parallels begins hilariously with Worf celebrating his victory in a bat'leth competition ("The conditions were difficult. Several contestants were maimed...") and then getting a surprise birthday party. It continues on that note of just being a fun, faintly frivolous thing with some fun alt-universe jumping. I like that one of the universes has Data with baby blue eyes and it's not hugely signified or commented upon. I think the real draw of this one is that it doesn't quite feel like it should be a Worf episode. Any other member of the crew would probably work just as well, but because it's him, it feels out of whack in a very enjoyable way. Goofy as hell.

I think part of what makes Parallels great just on a foundational level is that, you're completely right, it should NOT be a Worf episode, and yet it completely is. Worf rarely is a character that has Weird poo poo happen to him (on TNG, anyway, DS9 is a different ball game). That's like Riker or Troi or Crusher, and on very rare occasions Geordi or Picard. Most of Worf's episodes are about him beating the poo poo out of people or reclaiming his honor, or beating the poo poo out of people to reclaim his honor, or having poo poo fall on him, or how much him and Gowron just wand to violently hatefuck each other. So having a Weird poo poo episode purely centered around Worf is a rare treat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Borg Universe Feral Riker is like the darkest scene in the whole franchise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Borg Universe Feral Riker is like the darkest scene in the whole franchise.

He's not the focus of the scene, but after the Beard Universe Enterprise blows up because it can't take a single low-yield photon torpedo hit, Wesley just has this gobsmacked look on his face that's just like "Oh my god, did I just murder all of those people? :stare:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also not the focus of the scene, a shadowy and stalking Worf behind the arch on the Borgiprise