Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PantsBandit posted:

What game had the best in-game radio? My vote is Saints Row 2.

Same tbh

That or New Vegas's radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sleeping Dogs had Ninja Tune radio. Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqc-nwhbexY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Vice City or VCS, GTAV with the updates is also up there given it has an absolutely huge track list.

I've never been impressed with the SR soundtracks, they've always felt scattershot. Sleeping Dogs was good but I spent almost all my time listening to the Electronic station, it had a surprisingly good classic rock station too despite the obvious lack of budget compared to Rockstar. Really though you just don't spend enough time in your car in SD to appreciate it.

NV has a great radio but has two flaws. Johnny Guitar is a loving terrible song and Mr.New Vegas is an obnoxious bore of a host. One wishes for Three Dog after listening to his nonsense. It also just doesn't have enough tracks.

I think Sleeping Dogs is the first time I heard Bei Bei, so that game wins

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I still find myself going back to listen to Massive B radio from time to time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjmlEvUK4AA

RrRrRrRrRrRrRr Bobby Konders on your box, I say it again, Bobby Konders is on your box!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fseUsJ1q78

in fairness, this song loses something if you're not in the middle of a car chase with lovely vans

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 12, 2023

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

PantsBandit posted:

Does playing the final countdown on repeat in every metal gear solid 5 mission count

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PantsBandit posted:

Gunmetal on the original Xbox. That was the only one I played where you could use whatever music you had ripped to the Xbox hard drive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's probably Vice City or SR2. The radios need good in-game talk radio and ads too, not just tracks

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's Sleeping Dogs, folks. This was my Hong Kong kung fu crime drama soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQHk-czm0sg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jet Set Radio/Future

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The most fun thing to do in Sleepy Dogs was to have the square enix pack and dress up as 47 or Rico with the grappling hook and grenade launcher lol

He puts on a bald cap if you dress as 47

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gotta be New Vegas for me, although I usually use a mod to add way more tracks to the playlists so it doesn't loops so quick.

radio announcer narrative driving is unutilized game space. MGS2 and Bioshock are probably the closest thing to it. not sure what to do with the device aside from the rugpulls those games have though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nthing the the Ninja Tune/Warp radio from Sleeping Dogs, the best of the GTA-esque games

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

my favorite was the Chinese hip-hop station

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I put in around 4 hours in Pokémon legends Arceus, I don’t think I like it very much… The hour-long prologue/tutorial I could handle, but as someone who isn’t usually a completionist but still likes a clean quest log, most of the side quests here seem like actual grinds?

One guy wants a tall weasel. I go into the wild, catch five weasels, return to the guy, none of them are tall enough for him
A woman wants me to max out my bird intel level. Let’s see, I caught a bird earlier, what would it take to max out this bird’s intel level… ah okay, catch four more of the same kind of bird (or! kill six birds! the choice is mine :))

Basically I don’t enjoy catching several times the exact same Pokémon species, but it’s what the game wants me to do, it’s how you level up your Star Rating. I don’t like looking at my pokeboxes in Pokémon legends arceus and finding ten identical caterpillars. The game doesn’t prompt you to nickname your catches, and it’s pretty clear why
The lowered importance of combat also hurts the game for me, my own Pokémon party doesn’t feel as important…

Anyway there’s a lot to like here, I think it looks great and feels great, lots of interesting if minor gameplay differences and QoL changes, but as a Pokémon sword enjoyer and scarlet liker, I’m just kinda bummed out. It might very well be “the best Pokémon game on switch” (I read that in quite a few places) but I’m sad that it isn’t quite for me. Ah well. End of complaint

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Encountering massive Pokémon roaming the wilds was really cool (and honestly scary the first time it happened), but the structure of the game wasn’t for me either. Maybe if the world itself was more enticing I wouldn’t mind losing myself in it, but it was basic looking.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Modern Video Games posted:

I have been a bit cheeky :twisted:

Please don't change them back after October. Make them stick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Combat and everything was basically exactly what I have expected the games to be like as a baseline since they did Pokemon stadium.

The games structure wasn't the best, but the mainline games haven't been good at that in a long time either and both are equally trivial so there's never a real reason to team build or train or try, unless you feel like it.

You could start and complete several encounters in Arceus in the time it takes basic wild pokemon fights in shield. If they can port over the Arceus means of encountering and fighting Pokemon but keep the regular battle mechanics and moves and trainer battles it would be great, I'd buy that.

As it's own formula relegated to sidegames while the mainline games attract more mosquito larvae, it definitely needed the extra work and time in development they'll never get to finish baking. Still nice to see steps forward.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The boss fights and the last boss in particular in Arceus were so terrible. The whole game based around catching multiples of Pokémon was also bad. But I liked exploring for Pokémon and the combat was fun.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

aw i wish strange horticulture was longer. i identified all the plants though and almost nobody died

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The most fun thing to do in Sleepy Dogs was to have the square enix pack and dress up as 47 or Rico with the grappling hook and grenade launcher lol

He puts on a bald cap if you dress as 47

Nah it's using that one DLC super high-tech car with the autodrive and the gatling guns in the roof. My favourite boredom activity in that game was to set an autodrive target at the other side of Hong Kong then start using the gatlings to see how many cops/randos I could get on the way to the target.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QH1cQWmXlY

Sakurai's teased Youtube collab is going to be with Game Center CX in 6 hours

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QH1cQWmXlY

Sakurai's teased Youtube collab is going to be with Game Center CX in 6 hours

jesus, i haven't seen chief arino in a hot minute

i know the goon translation project's gone but i wonder if anyone else kept up with it. those translated eps were always a real treat

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

do they still use that retro game master logo anywhere or was that only ever used for the weird kotaku syndication

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really liked the gameplay in Arceus vs regular pokemon games. The part where you have to catch pokemon repeatedly, especially certain sizes or whatever, I didn't like. But I liked the research goals that involve defeating pokemon in certain ways, or using certain moves or stuff like that, I enjoy. Normally in pokemon games I get a pokemon and I store it in the PC - unless I need to evolve it then it ain't coming out. With Arceus I actually use the pokemon I catch, which is something I appreciate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did Scarlet and Violet take much from Arceus?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No, they’re good games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless snail posted:

do they still use that retro game master logo anywhere or was that only ever used for the weird kotaku syndication

i've never seen it anywhere else, so it's either that they think the RGM experiment reached more people back in the day for branding purposes, or they're still doing the thing where they don't want to acknowledge the fact that the english audience only knows about him through illegal torrented episode rips

i remember back in the day how they had to hilariously skirt around the issue whenever they'd get supportive words of encouragement from overseas fans during 24 hour shows in later seasons

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PantsBandit posted:

I absolutely loved San Andreas' radio station. That section of the game where you're exiled to the country, driving around in a rainstorm at night listening to the insane lady DJ between country music tracks was a vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XVvCAoN4-0

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i dunno if it counts but you could listen to some sick tunes when driving around in Brütal Legend

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjIGkv0_dEM&t=117s

YAH YAH YAH YAH YAH

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I really liked the gameplay in Arceus vs regular pokemon games. The part where you have to catch pokemon repeatedly, especially certain sizes or whatever, I didn't like. But I liked the research goals that involve defeating pokemon in certain ways, or using certain moves or stuff like that, I enjoy. Normally in pokemon games I get a pokemon and I store it in the PC - unless I need to evolve it then it ain't coming out. With Arceus I actually use the pokemon I catch, which is something I appreciate.

That’s fair, though for me the specificity of the objectives were hard to keep track of in my head. It’s just a LOT, like: coming across a Pokémon I’d already encountered before, trying to remember offhand if i was still missing intel on them, what their science requirements were in the first place, PLUS what the science requirements were for MY Pokémon, did my guy need to use quick attack a few more times or am I thinking of my other guy?

Finally deciding that I couldn’t be bothered to fetch my electric Pokémon from the stable to kill the target Pokémon with an electric move, so I just caught them instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Super Mario Bros Da Movie is getting a 4K remaster with an absolutely wild collector's edition

https://twitter.com/UmbrellaEnt/status/1712329094900400528?t=oYR4Q5XbhobzYJaNDDVQ7g&s=19

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh poo poo they're restoring the workprint? :boomshaka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-4yy9oBKN4

You can :filez: the workprint pretty easily if you search for the Morton Jankel Cut.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

Super Mario Bros Da Movie is getting a 4K remaster with an absolutely wild collector's edition

https://twitter.com/UmbrellaEnt/status/1712329094900400528?t=oYR4Q5XbhobzYJaNDDVQ7g&s=19

Oh gently caress yes I am there

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Waffleman_ posted:

The best Mario movie

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sweet i get to wear my extremely faded yet still comfy Lords of the Fallen (2014) t-shirt i got for beating the demo at SDCC for the Lords of the Fallen (2023) launch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

sweet i get to wear my extremely faded yet still comfy Lords of the Fallen (2014) t-shirt i got for beating the demo at SDCC for the Lords of the Fallen (2023) launch

the ultimate comfy gamer...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Any word on how lotf 2023 is on a scale from lotf 2014 to lies of p?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Any word on how lotf 2023 is on a scale from lotf 2014 to lies of p?

reviews are putting it at around the level of lies of P but with the caveat that it has relatively easy bosses comparatively, but i think that's got a certain appeal for some people who're wanting a more chill ARPG experience