Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Clairin is delicious but given Haiti's long history of exploitation and rampant colonialism I do worry about the ethics of its production.

Mexican rum is loving awesome, Paranubes is a great example of it. There's a cool trick you can do with it where you give someone their first taste of it, say the word "ketchup" to them, and then have them taste it again and it's all they can taste. Mexican sugar cane terroir is mad tomatoey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It is hot in the bay area this week, Gin rickeys are pretty great today dropping the temperature. Lime, gin, seltzer is so nice.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 7, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Maestro posted:

Do Not Post The Old Fashioned Made With Sprite And A Half Bottle Of Whiskey Video

It's got nothing on the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of agricoles:

This guy thinks the Clairin rums are going to be the next big thing. I don't know much about this stuff, but he brings up some valid points. The Clairins are pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/@differentspirits4157/search?query=clairin Those are the vids he did on Clairins.

and I think this is the one where he raves about them, in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfPbNw7RJO0

Lol no they are not the next big thing

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Lol damnit that’s the video I was thinking of. Curses!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lol no they are not the next big thing

As I said, I don't know much about this stuff. But would you break down how he is wrong? That does require watching the video, of course. Which you didn't do.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The next big thing is always whiskey or tequila. Every once in a while a cocktail is the next big thing, like a Mojito, a Cosmo, Aperol Spritz, or Espresso Martini. There is never a next big thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finding myself in an Arbitrary Nature of Time hole this fine saturday

1.5 oz rye (High West double rye is what I have)
1 oz Campari
0.75 oz Cherry Heering
2 squirts xocolatl mole bitters
1 squirt orange bitters

Swirl to mix, pour over large ice cube, add lemon twist because I don't keep oranges around

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Finding myself in an Arbitrary Nature of Time hole this fine saturday

1.5 oz rye (High West double rye is what I have)
1 oz Campari
0.75 oz Cherry Heering
2 squirts xocolatl mole bitters
1 squirt orange bitters

Swirl to mix, pour over large ice cube, add lemon twist because I don't keep oranges around

I was just in the liquor store buying rye and cherry heering while you were posting this. Will absolutely make this.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

As I said, I don't know much about this stuff. But would you break down how he is wrong? That does require watching the video, of course. Which you didn't do.

Because they are incredibly potent, flavor wise, and they are not necessarily flavors the general consumer is going to want. If something is going to be the next big thing it needs to have mass appeal which Clairin absolutely does not. It's esoteric rum nerd stuff and I would be shocked if it was ever anything but

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Because they are incredibly potent, flavor wise, and they are not necessarily flavors the general consumer is going to want.
I thought the same thing about Mezcal in the late 2000s. But rum does seem to be unable to break into the mainstream unless it’s spiced vanilla extract or drowned in fruit juices.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Your last two points are exactly what the dude brings up in the vid.

Mezcal in the 00s and Clairin being esoteric nerd stuff. He said he wouldn't be surprised if the Clairins end up becoming popular in the same way that Mezcal did.

I was just curious if his idea had merit.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Maestro posted:

There is never a next big thing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any app recommendations for keeping track of what I have and what I can make with it?

Mixel looks pretty decent but I'm wondering if anyone uses anything else. Something self hosted is also a possibility for me since I have a NAS that can run docker based apps (or I can set it up myself).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Any app recommendations for keeping track of what I have and what I can make with it?

Mixel looks pretty decent but I'm wondering if anyone uses anything else. Something self hosted is also a possibility for me since I have a NAS that can run docker based apps (or I can set it up myself).

Mixel is exactly what you want.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks, is the subscription worth it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Thanks, is the subscription worth it?

What's the price now? I'm grandfathered in from the days when it was a flat purchase.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

12$ a year

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oh 100%.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Awesome, thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Double post, sorry but I bought a bottle of Amaro Noninoto make a Paper Plane (liked it a lot) and looked around to see what else I could make.

(I'm still a baby at making my own cocktails here so bear with me)

Equal parts Amaro Nonino and Sweet Vermouth topped with some soda water on ice. Really nice!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It’s great by itself! Sip after dinner.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got a friend’s birthday coming up in a week

Birthday boy likes mint, likes juleps and mojitos

Are there other minty drinks to make for him

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Make him a real nice mai tai.

Seriously, though, if you have the smugglers cove book, and a drink mixer you could make an aku aku or is it apu apu. I forget. It's real nice.

If you don't have that, go for a missionary's downfall. Just need a blender for that one. When I make it I bump up the rum a bit and go crazy on the mint. It's very green and very minty and you use like 20 mint leaves.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love a Grasshopper, probably only going to want one of them though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

I thought the same thing about Mezcal in the late 2000s. But rum does seem to be unable to break into the mainstream unless it’s spiced vanilla extract or drowned in fruit juices.

Waltzing Along posted:

Mezcal in the 00s and Clairin being esoteric nerd stuff. He said he wouldn't be surprised if the Clairins end up becoming popular in the same way that Mezcal did.

I strongly disagree that clairin now is comparable to mezcal in the early 2000s except at the most superficial level. I don't think people thought mezcal's flavors were ever considered undesirable by the general public -- mezcal had an undeserved reputation due to racist stereotyping which actively worked against it and stopped people from trying it or even trying to import it. And at the end of the day the mezcal's that really sell -- the ones that people drink a lot of -- are still mostly blends that are on the very tame, approachable end of the mezcal spectrum.

Clairin does not have that -- clairin's struggles are that most people are not going to be interested in drinking those flavors. Clairin is just really funky rum at the end of the day and if really funky rum were ever going to be a mainstream thing it would've happened already. And if you're going to try and make an "approachable, mass appeal blended clairin" then you're pretty much just making a standard funky rum at that point, not really distinguishable from the few that dominate the (small) market for them already.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 8, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't think there is a next big thing, and I eagerly await the Bourbon producers to catch up with their production & aging right when the hype bottoms out and we can all pick up amazing bottles with ease (it will happen).

But I have to say, as I've been exploring molasses-based rums and going down the path of sugar-cane spirits like Clairins, Rhum Agricoles, and Mexican rums, I've been sharing them with friends who never have any interest in the stuff, and they are surprised at what kinds of flavors you get out of them - fennel, brine, olive, urchin, green tomato, ketchup, vegetal grass - and they're often shocked they're even in the same category of molasses rums.

Now that I've started paying attention, I've noticed so many bars like my favorite local spots feature tons of cocktails with Agircoles, funky Jamaican rums, and Cachaca:

"I Didn't Go To Sunday School"
Montelobos Mezcal Joven, Saint James Rum Agricole, Lime, Jalapeño, Pineapple, Honey

The Collider
Leblon Cachaça, Cucumber, Passion Fruit, Lime, Simple, Habanero

Evan's Oak Park Daiquiri
Rhum J.M. White Rum, Barsol Pisco, Lime Juice, Grapefruit Juice, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

Elliott's Piña Amarilla
Liquore Strega, Rum Fire White Overproof Rum, Pineapple, Lemon, Coco López

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Nice. I have a cocktail on right now that's Uruapan charanda blanco infused with cucumber and watermelon rind, plus blanco vermouth, Strega and lime. Like a rum White Negroni and a cucumber daiquiri at the same time.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

prayer group posted:

jesus christ, the post about putting stevia syrup in cocktails back-to-back with the one where Comb Your Beard casually mentions making orgeat with Coca-Cola was a lot to take in all at once

Cola Reduction Syrups are a thing though. I don't think it's that weird. I'll take the L though. Dreamworld flavor was kind of tropical. Bought some extras. Enjoyed the zero version of that one.

I despise stevia in stuff. I think ace-k is the best artificial sweetener. But never used any of them in a cocktail application.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Needs more mint.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I agree. I usually end up tossing mint that doesn't get used so when I grabbed a bunch I said F it and just shoved it in. I kinda liked drinking my mai tai through a forest.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Be sure to give it a slap to wake it up!

@3:48 https://youtu.be/Jo1wxAfyLto?si=acmWcHK1MZh41aT5

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Bobby Burns:

2 oz Glenfarclas 105 cask strength single malt scotch
.75 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
1 barspoon Benedictine
3 dashes Angostura
1 Luxardo cherry as a garnish

Very nice fall drink.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Glenfarclas is good poo poo, have you had the 17 year? :yum:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Popped into my local liquor store on a whim to see if I could find a decent green Chartreuse substitute and instead found a single bottle of the real thing. :hellyeah:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that allowed?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Finally killed the giant bottle of Old Forrester I've been nursing for like half a year, went to the store to buy some new Bourbon. Lo and behold they had Old Granddad Bottled-in-Bond 100 for cheap so I pulled the trigger.

Where have you been all my life, Old Granddad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Idk what it is but "old" is 3/3 for me so far, old overholt, old forester, old grandad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

u gotta be old to properly blend whiskey cause u gotta taste it for a long time to know what needs added 2 the blend