Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IMO the Speaker should be selected each week: the departing speaker tosses the gavel and whoever catches it is the next speaker.
(It is the departing speaker's choice whether to throw underarm or overarm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol we did it, we broke a branch of the government :toot:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

zoux posted:

Is it going to shut down before or after the VA Senate elections?

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1712638503551398132

Republicans in disarray!

A few days after, which is 100% why McCarthy went for 45 days as a CR time period rather than 30 or 60. See the reward he got for his strategic thinking, of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine the workers and voters of north Virginia will still feel that shutdown looming.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1712652115821133956

Why not a sword in a stone, congressman

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
They’re going to reinvent IRV by the end of this.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

zoux posted:

I imagine the workers and voters of north Virginia will still feel that shutdown looming.

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1712640369819570415?s=49&t=mDn_gxEwlFFzTq-IGBYGiQ

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Oh yeah constantly getting a drip feed of work emails, text messages, and Washington Post articles about an impending shutdown is absolutely a psychological impact, even if it doesn't end up happening (ask me how I know this :smith:)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Ranked choice voting for me not for thee

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1712655880649318693

Jim Jordan is going to run for speaker against nobody and lose

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Anybody can lose when in a competition against others, but it takes a real leader to lose when competing against no one.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I don't want to detract from Mr. Jordan's achievements in being unlikable, but is there anyone who could win?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Morrow posted:

I don't want to detract from Mr. Jordan's achievements in being unlikable, but is there anyone who could win?

Former President Donald J. Trump could win without having to make any promises.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Morrow posted:

Seems very unlikely, I don't think literally anybody could get all but 5 Republicans, not even Trump

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

IMO the Speaker should be selected each week: the departing speaker tosses the gavel and whoever catches it is the next speaker.

Overhead backwards, like a wedding bouquet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Morrow posted:

There's only one total loving idiot with a proven track record of barely getting enough votes. However everyone else has to first prove they are incapable of making it through the gauntlet of humiliation.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm picturing a Hammer Brother or Bowser when he starts throwing them in SMB1.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Gyges posted:

There's only one total loving idiot with a proven track record of barely getting enough votes. However everyone else has to first prove they are incapable of making it through the gauntlet of humiliation.

They seem to be on the right/wrong track to prove just that

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gyges posted:

He managed it once, but after all this can even he do it again? Like the same things that made Matt 'Schoolgirl Enthusiast' Gaetz and company kick him out once still prevail, and it'd be less humiliated to be led around on all fours on a leash than give the Detached From Reality Caucus enough to win them back (to say nothing of any sane Republicans he might lose in so doing).

I can't stop laughing at how badly the Republicans have hosed this all up

Q: If we make the assumption that a new Speaker gets to do the rules setup thing even if it's not a new Congress, is that something that can be forced in ahead of anything else? Because if not I'm imagining someone finally manages to get the magic number, plans to get rid of the rule that let them boot out McCarthy, and then find that Gaetz has done some kind of procedural fuckery to kick out the new guy before the changes can be made :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

wrong thread!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Has anyone run any polls on Gaetz or the other HFC idiots since booting McCarthy? Have their constituents started to turn on them for this nonsense, or are they still as popular as ever?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ms Adequate posted:

Q: If we make the assumption that a new Speaker gets to do the rules setup thing even if it's not a new Congress, is that something that can be forced in ahead of anything else? Because if not I'm imagining someone finally manages to get the magic number, plans to get rid of the rule that let them boot out McCarthy, and then find that Gaetz has done some kind of procedural fuckery to kick out the new guy before the changes can be made :v:

New Rules happen with the election of the New Speaker. It's majority vote done at the same time, though a majority of the House can change the rules at any time. It's just that there's virtually nothing that is going to be changed with a bipartisan majority vote so which ever party the Speaker is in pretty much just makes them at the election of the Speaker. Also if you don't do it then, any rules that don't involve the Speaker being the unquestioned ruler of the House won't make it to the floor.

Given the extremely narrow majority, and the prevalence of stupid lunatics in the Republican Party, there is certainly a non-zero chance that any rules implemented accidentally include a loophole that allows unmitigated chaos to continue it's reign.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Has anyone run any polls on Gaetz or the other HFC idiots since booting McCarthy? Have their constituents started to turn on them for this nonsense, or are they still as popular as ever?

They’d only be doing this if it pleased their constituents

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Gyges posted:

New Rules happen with the election of the New Speaker. It's majority vote done at the same time, though a majority of the House can change the rules at any time. It's just that there's virtually nothing that is going to be changed with a bipartisan majority vote so which ever party the Speaker is in pretty much just makes them at the election of the Speaker. Also if you don't do it then, any rules that don't involve the Speaker being the unquestioned ruler of the House won't make it to the floor.

Given the extremely narrow majority, and the prevalence of stupid lunatics in the Republican Party, there is certainly a non-zero chance that any rules implemented accidentally include a loophole that allows unmitigated chaos to continue it's reign.

I don't believe this is true. A new Congress sets new rules after electing a Speaker,.but those rules aren't voided after a speaker dies, resigns, or is vacated. They'd have to be amended, rather than wholesale replaced with a simple up or down vote.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nachos posted:

They’d only be doing this if it pleased their constituents

And I don't believe this for a second.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I listened to an NPR piece in which a bunch of folks at a Florida Republican Club in his district were talking about Matt Gaetz running for Governor.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I don't get the new thread title. Did Scalise have testicular cancer and have a nut amputated or something?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Cimber posted:

I don't get the new thread title. Did Scalise have testicular cancer and have a nut amputated or something?

He (edit: unconfirmed?) lost a testicle in a mass shooting back in 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_baseball_shooting?wprov=sfla1

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 13, 2023

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Cimber posted:

Scalise was shot in the groin during the Congressional Baseball game a few years ago. Separately he currently has multiple myeloma.

efb :argh:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Cimber posted:

He was shot in the dick by a crazy guy: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/steve-scalise-congress-shot-alexandria-virginia.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Cimber posted:

Scalise was the only Congressional victim at the 2017 Congressional baseball game, where a mentally ill left-liberal activist got killed by police after shooting up the place, injuring several others present as well. Scalise was hit in the pelvis so a "joke" spread about him losing one or both testicles. Like a lot such "jokes" it's got that horrible "but I want it to be true" irony going for it, plus he's viewed as an acceptable target, for the joke at least.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cimber posted:

He was shot by a left-wing gunmen at the congressional softball game several years ago. He got shot on the side of his hip (sideways, so it went in on one side of his hip and came out the other) and caused a lot of damage to his internal organs and pelvis. It is assumed (but, not confirmed) that he lost or had his testicles damaged as a result of the shooting because he had to have extensive blood transfusions and reconstructive surgery.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Immediately after the shooting, he turned around and affirmed his commitment to opposing gun control. I feel like that's a key element of the mean jokes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Quorum posted:

I don't believe this is true. A new Congress sets new rules after electing a Speaker,.but those rules aren't voided after a speaker dies, resigns, or is vacated. They'd have to be amended, rather than wholesale replaced with a simple up or down vote.

They don't have to change any rules, since there are rules already in place. However, I don't see any scenario where whatever group of Congressmen coalesces into 217 votes leaves these rules as they are. Nobody is going to trust which ever vote whore wins to keep their vast menagerie of conflicting promises, and there's very few scenarios where the current ability for any wacko to start the circus again stays.

So the next Speaker is going to have to get some written clauses penned in goat blood instead of the previous honest handshake with Ol' Scratch McCarthy negotiated. And it's going to have to happen before Speaker Dingus takes power and makes jerk off motions on the floor when asked about voting on the new rules.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Scalise hasn't gotten nearly the press of a dolt like Kevin McCarthy. People don't really feel like easing up on tasteless jokes when it comes to "David Duke without the baggage." He's a guy who even manages to bother some other Republicans with that one. It was hard enough to get rid of Steve King.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Most of the reason all this is even happening is because the House is hopelessly gerrymandered. Only about 20% of districts are competitive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's still one Republican who has the experience of negotiating with a Democratic President, the track record of getting votes, and the list of legislative achievements needed to be Speaker of the House.

Even better, he is:

TANNED

RESTED

READY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And probably stoned enough right now that it seems like a good idea

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Discendo Vox posted:

Scalise was the only Congressional victim at the 2017 Congressional baseball game, where a mentally ill left-liberal activist got killed by police after shooting up the place, injuring several others present as well. Scalise was hit in the pelvis so a "joke" spread about him losing one or both testicles. Like a lot such "jokes" it's got that horrible "but I want it to be true" irony going for it, plus he's viewed as an acceptable target, for the joke at least.
he got his nuts shot off and we laugh, how would we feel if we got our nuts shot off? my heart goes out to the man and his poor shot off nuts

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Shoot off the balls of all white supremacists.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Like David Duke without the ballage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Look how much this man cares about the integrity and honor of Steve Scalise's balls. What moral excellence. On behalf of every single poster on Something Awful.com, we salute you sir. :bravo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)