Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure, but I've never met a rot or doberman owner who wasn't aware their dog was dangerous.

Pit owners on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I had an urge to share.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Shugojin posted:

Breeds absolutely have difficulty levels, and larger breeds with high prey drives take a lot more work from the owner to make into happy and well adjusted friends.

Yeah, this is what I'm saying. Banning a breed doesn't resolve the issue if they're still easy to get hold for first time dog owners, or just idiots in general. That's the root cause imo.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sure, but I've never met a rot or doberman owner who wasn't aware their dog was dangerous.

Pit owners on the other hand...

Apologise for another double post, but Rotties was our family dogs growing up, again, certainly aware of their capabilities as I use to love rough play with them, but again, if it my choice they're the kind of dog that would also be licenced in the UK for the exact same reasons I said above. I love them though, but they're not for everyone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a complicated issue. Making people jump through extra hoops to get X breed also imbues the breed with a sense of prestige. You already see breeds with bad reputations getting adopted by people just for the sake of trying to prove that they can handle them, and giving them official validation is not going to help anything.

I guess at least it would still probably be a net improvement, since I imagine most attacks are just plain abuse/neglect/deliberately training them to be "mean."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ban people and breeds I say.

The number of people that shouldn’t have any animals is like off the charts.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Finally got a session with an behaviorist/trainer yesterday about his reactivity towards other dogs and it was a relief to have her confirm that he's just a frustrated and excited dog that wants to play with other dogs and is not excited because he wants to attack the other dogs.

She made an interesting point that basically 'there are no good on-leash encounters with other dogs' which I hadn't considered. Either my dog meets another dog and they start to play which just makes him even more excited next time he sees a dog on a leash (and thus more frustration if he can't meet/play with the other dog) or the other dog snaps at my dog and my dog starts getting scared/anxious/potentially defensively aggressive when he sees another dog on a leash which isn't good either. So the best thing is just to teach my dog to ignore other dogs when he's on a leash...which might be hard with a dog who spend 9 of his most formative months at daycare learning that he gets to play with every dog he ever sees. Fortunately she confirmed that I've been doing the right things (rewarding him whenever he looks away from another dog towards me, trying to keep more of his focus on me during walks) and that has already made some noticeable progress.

Learned some other helpful little things too. It's always amazing to me how people that know and understand dogs and can read their language can very quickly get my dog to do stuff and tell me things about my dog I sort of intuitively already understood but had never quite processed.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Did they just say if you carry on as you are the dog will grow out of it a little and start to calm down in the future by any chance?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Did they just say if you carry on as you are the dog will grow out of it a little and start to calm down in the future by any chance?

That can work depending on how dog-reactive your dog is. If they're very reactive then you probably need some training to keep their attention on you beforehand but ultimately that's the goal, their attention ends up on you and you just act like there's nothing to worry about and they think "oh, ok, nothing to worry about I guess".

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Sadly not. There are a few things I’ve already been doing which she said I should continue.

When possible, keep more distance between my dog and another dog. If a dog is across the street or behind a fence his ears perk up and tail flags and his brain is basically going ‘oh hey another dog I really want to play with that dog but I know I can’t reach it so I won’t bark and get mad about it.’ The more we can do that the better to desensitize him a bit and make him realize that every time we see a dog we don’t need to get excited because we won’t be able to play with it.

Another thing is working on keeping his focus and attention on walks-every time he looks up at me or checks in with me on a walk, mark and reward. He should learn that the more he focuses on me on a walk, the more treats he gets. This sort of goes hand in hand with teaching loose leash walking next to me instead of in front of me, heel, etc.

Lastly, and this has been the hardest, is mark and reward heavily when he doesn’t explode, and extra super mark and reward if when he is close to another dog he looks to me. Barking at other dogs gets us nothing, not barking at other dogs gets us treats. The other suggestion was to try to distract him when is getting very excited-his adrenaline is pumping, he’s not just gonna sit and stay, so give him a good outlet to let off that steam that isn’t barking furiously at another dog. The trainers suggestion was break out a tug of war toy, so far that (or even his very favorite treats) hasn’t really been successful. Mostly another dog is way more interesting than anything I could possibly give him, but with the above he has definitely gotten better. He much more often looks to me for guidance when he sees a cat or dog or whatever, and that usually presents and opportunity for me to give him lots of pets and praise and that sort of distracts him enough to usually not explode as much as he used to. A firm ‘no’ if he does explode is somewhat useful as an interruptor where I can sometimes get (and hopefully, but rarely, keep) his attention.

It’s slow but it is definitely improving, and I am sure as he gets a little more mature (he just turned 1) that will help too.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Thats actually exactly what we're doing with outs. Shes so friendly and just wants to play but we have been doing exactly the same as you aside from not letting her interact with other dogs on her lead as we live in a tower block with a lot of other dogs and sometimes its impossible to avoid..

She's much better than she was a month ago though, she's only 6 months so she's still got a lot of growing up to do.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there somewhere to get bulk bully sticks/not-rawhide collagen kind of long-lasting chews for cheaper? I get them whenever I see them at TJ Maxx/Homegoods but they of course aren't reliably in stock there. US-based.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Chewy will sell you pretty much anything cheaper if you set it to automatically order once a month.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Costco also has bulk bull penis

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Alucard posted:

Costco also has bulk bull penis

Ah yes, an excellent treat for my, ahem, "puppy"

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I got some off Amazon the other week, they came all mixed sizes, £60. I wasn't happy. The puppy finishes the drat things in about 15 mins now too. I need to find something better than a bully if that even exists.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I got some off Amazon the other week, they came all mixed sizes, £60. I wasn't happy. The puppy finishes the drat things in about 15 mins now too. I need to find something better than a bully if that even exists.

Try this stuff

yak milk chew

https://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Quality-Natural-Odorless-Enjoying/dp/B071NSY33S

I get them for $5 each from my local pet store and they last a good long while. Once they get smaller you put them in the microwave and they puff up and make a nice treat.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've actually looked at those before but I didn't realise they lasted as long/longer than bully sticks. Good to know.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

MarcusSA posted:

Try this stuff

yak milk chew

https://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Quality-Natural-Odorless-Enjoying/dp/B071NSY33S

I get them for $5 each from my local pet store and they last a good long while. Once they get smaller you put them in the microwave and they puff up and make a nice treat.

second vote for these. Only thing to be aware of with the microwave trick is they are nuclear hot in the center for a good while after they come out of the microwave so I would suggest leaving for at least 30 minutes before giving to your dog

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They are great. If your dog isn’t interested at first soak an end in warm water or broth or something for a little while to soften it up a bit. I guess they don’t have much smell? It took a while for Pickwick to figure out it was something delicious and not a rectangular rock (which I would have thought was appealing anyway because he loves chewing on rocks)

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ive just ordered one single one to see how she gets on with it and how long it lasts.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Clowner posted:

Same. Mrs. Clowner is the "fun" parent, I guess, and I'm the taskmaster.

If it makes you feel any better, it does get better in time? When Mr Froglet takes her to the dog park, I sometimes walk over to join them and there is nothing quite like how excited she is to see me.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

There are a lot of people around here that are scared of dogs. It used to be funny to me and now it's just annoying. The number of people that have physically screamed when they've come through the concierge and not noticed the dog till we are walking past.

It's typically the same ethnicity too and I don't want to generalise but I do feel like it's a possible cultural issue or something. It's quite strange.

In Islam, dogs are considered impure/unclean or sometimes outright evil (particularly black dogs).

Also, in places like India, dogs can be pests that carry diseases like rabies. To be fair, I'd be scared of dogs too in that context.

Meanwhile, Holly's been limping for quite a while now, so after x-rays confirmed nothing was wrong with her bones, we are now sending her to doggy physiotherapy.

Yes, really. This sounds utterly ridiculous - and it is - but she's only a year old and it'd be awful to have her sporadically limping for the rest of her life (coz I assume this won't get better on its own).

The good thing is doggy physiotherapy is heckin' adorable and she is loving the attention. They give her a little massage, then put her onto a special treadmill which they can fill with water and make her walk around on it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MarcusSA posted:

Try this stuff

yak milk chew

My dog loving loves these things. They're the only thing he chews that last more than 30 mins anymore.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Just be careful with those yak chews because intense chewers can break teeth on them. Beef cheek rolls are popular at my house and seem to last a good while without sounding like my dog is snapping all her teeth out.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Good shout on the yaks chew. She's loving it and it's lasted longer than the bully sticks already.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Trying to train the puppy on ringing a bell when he needs to go out; I thought we were making some progress for a few days but I think I may have just accidentally trained him that he can ring the bell and I'll immediately drop whatever I'm doing and shift my attention to him lol.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Loomy stabbed himself with a stick and now needs to wear this for 10 days. Look how sad he his,!

grill youre saelf fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 13, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Live by the stick, die by the stick.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

"Excuse me?"

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Greetings. We are traveling from Hong Kong to Seattle. My dog is just a smidge outside the requirements for the 3 airlines that allow in-cabin travel here. So despite my terror, I will have to put her in the baggage.

I am here to ask after anyone's experience with a dog traveling this way. She is quite fearful of people and trembles in upsetting situations. She is 6 years old with a clean bill of health. I am a crazy person, so in spite of the number of animals who undoubtedly fly safely, all I can think of are ways she could get lost, hurt, or dead. If you have a moment, it'd be super great to hear how your dog did this safely, especially if they are a nervous sort and didn't have a heart attack!

Crate training starts today(she's had some with her soft kennel already but not the new hard one).

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

goferchan posted:

Trying to train the puppy on ringing a bell when he needs to go out; I thought we were making some progress for a few days but I think I may have just accidentally trained him that he can ring the bell and I'll immediately drop whatever I'm doing and shift my attention to him lol.

Haha, I know that feeling. Happened to me the first time I trained a toilet bell. There are many techniques to get past that bit but the one that worked for me was to only give the reward if after ringing the bell the dog goes outside and does a toilet.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
One of my favourite memories of my dog as a puppy was when she learned to ring the bell. She got so excited as she rang it (a whole lot) and we went outside, you could tell she was so happy that she told the humans what she needed and the humans actually listened!

It was the first time actually felt she communicated with her people.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

goferchan posted:

Oh noooooo

Today my house is so quiet, I started searching for Holly. When it's this quiet and she's not on the couch or in her crate, either she somehow escaped the house, or is getting up to something she shouldn't.

Turns out it was neither - I found her asleep between our bed and the wall. :3:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have committed the ultimate sin. I accidentally cut my dog’s nail too far and got the quick. He bled forever. He has forgiven me but I must atone.

Guillotine is too painless, maybe stoning? Or that thing from The Crucible where they slowly put more rocks on you?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have committed the ultimate sin. I accidentally cut my dog’s nail too far and got the quick. He bled forever. He has forgiven me but I must atone.

Guillotine is too painless, maybe stoning? Or that thing from The Crucible where they slowly put more rocks on you?

You should cut your own fingers off like in a horror movie

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Dogs only remember the most recent thing that happened to them, so give him some cheese or a hamburger or w/e and it's all good.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Speaking of nails, my dog was licking her paw and I noticed she cracked the poo poo out of one of her claws, too high for me to clip cleanly. I can't take her to the vet until the morning, but what should I do in the meantime? I have medical tape that I could wrap, or those rubber "pawz" booties, but I'm afraid she'd just pick at it and the friction would tear more of the nail off. I have carprofen and gabepentin that I can give her at least but I just don't know how to protect it until the morning

Spoilered for a broken nail

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If she won't leave a booty alone, then it's cone time, sadly :(

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If she won't leave a booty alone, then it's cone time, sadly :(

She'd pick at the bandage, she couldn't really do anything about the booty. It is basically a thick balloon, but I'm just worried about the rubber flopping around and getting caught on the nail since it has so many jagged edges. The good news she mostly just seems annoyed by it at most; she's currently sitting upright staring out the window, on the lookout for any critters foolish enough to enter the backyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pickwick has discovered that the easiest way to get the good stuff out of the Kong is to wait until I get in bed and then drop it on my face until dig the liver chunks out for him :negative: