Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are definitely options that are better than others, but you don't need a completely optimized party. it's a dq game, meant to be played by all ages. unless you somehow choose a ridiculous challenge run party completely by coincidence, you can still grind through it.
Hero + three Jesters would make the early game hell, but imagine the PURE MAGICAL MIGHT you'd get once they hit 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Hero + three Jesters would make the early game hell, but imagine the PURE MAGICAL MIGHT you'd get once they hit 30.
class change is 20 iirc

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Commander Keene posted:

It's not nearly as bad as you think. You can just flee your way through the pyramid to get the magic key and then go grab the golden claw for extra cash. If you're playing on a version where poison moth powder works on metal slimes, spend said cash on a shitload of powder and go do some :catdrugs: xp grinding on metal slimes to hit 20 and then class change them to sages. IDK why you'd take them to 30 but I assume you meant 20 for the immediate class change since even if you want a bunch of luck they can hit 255 by 20 in some versions. I think the remakes make them more useful in combat overall too, whereas in the NES version they're like a worse version of Chapter 5 Taloon in DQ4.

Though realistically, you don't want 3 sages because you're going to want a fighter or soldier for additional damage that sages just can't match. Hell, having something like wizard->soldier can be preferable too because them being slow as hell means you can give them them sage's stone and have them be a reliable end of turn AOE heal.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, there's like only a few useful spells in DQ3. Bikilt, healing spells in whatever denomination, and CC. End game, you have most of those from usable items in combat, so having multiple sages isn't really THAT great. One is prob enough, with other party members using item spam/sometimes attacking and the MC doing the majority of the damage with regular attacks. It's actually like this in most old DQ games, even through SFC. On use items are bullshit powerful.

Edit: also, you'd only need two jesters if you wanted 3 sages because you get one sage item anyways.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 13, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not just one kilt, but two....

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah I mixed up the level you can change Jester to Sage.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also don’t non-Magic -> magic class changes suck a bit because you end up with artificially low MP?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Meowywitch posted:

Not just one kilt, but two....

That's just shorts

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The Sage book can also drop from a level 18~ish blue bird-like enemy, but it's a 1 in 512 drop or something like that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

1 in 4096 in the NES version. The worst drop odds in the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

whydirt posted:

Also don’t non-Magic -> magic class changes suck a bit because you end up with artificially low MP?

No because level gains after you CC are affected by existing stats, so for example a Jester-> whatever will pretty much never gain luck due to having around 127 luck at level 1, while going from wizard->pilgrim (or sage) ends up with a bunch of levels where you get 0mp while jester->wizard/pilgrim will gain MP similar to what a brand new pilgrim/wizard does. Likewise a fighter->soldier class change is going to have little to no strength gains for a while and probably not get any agility until the end of the game since soldiers are slow as hell while fighters are the fastest.

JustJeff88 posted:

The Sage book can also drop from a level 18~ish blue bird-like enemy, but it's a 1 in 512 drop or something like that.

There's a 2nd book in one of the towns of Alefgard as well, unless that's only in certain versions of the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm replaying DQ11 and wanted to take a peek at 2D mode while half way through the game and boy was that a mistake. All my zoom points reset and it seems all the treasure chests reset too? I fled back to 3D mode but was lazy about the saves so the reset persisted. I hope I didn't do any other weird things doing this!

I did notice many quests reset but thankfully the log is easy to identify where they are to restart them. I don't think there's a nose for treasure related achievement so I'll just try to not pay attention to that.

Think it's my fault ultimately for being lazy with saves and it prob should've been obvious now that I realize how substantially different the 2D mode is. Just hope I didn't mess up any achievements?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The transition between 2D/3D isn't very seamless in DQ 11 yeah. It just kind of guesses where you are story wise and resets a bunch of things. However, you do retain all your items so there's some spots in the story where you can loot a bunch of good items, then transition (and then back again to the same mode if you want) to double up on a bunch of chests.

In the remakes of DQ3, I think Blazemost/Kafrizzle kept up with physical fighter damage even at the end of the game if only for the fact you don't spend a turn using Bikill/Twinhits/Oomph that can get eaten by icy wave.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I did a challenge run of dq3 not long ago with the FF fiesta crew a while ago. Had thief, martial artist, and merchant as my party. Took some grinding at certain places but went pretty well. Don't even need casters.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Whips and boomerangs make handling AoE a lot easier at early levels in the remakes of DQ3. Early game is where casters shine the most IMO, especially if you need two rounds of spells to clear out a group since the Hero will have passable AoE at that point through their limited spell selection.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rascyc posted:

All my zoom points reset and it seems all the treasure chests reset too? I fled back to 3D mode but was lazy about the saves so the reset persisted. I hope I didn't do any other weird things doing this!
the upside to this (at endgame) is the treasure chests with mini medals in them reset too. and the treasure chests with seeds of skill.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

1 in 4096 in the NES version. The worst drop odds in the game.

Even worse than I thought.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a 2nd book in one of the towns of Alefgard as well, unless that's only in certain versions of the game.

I do remember that, but that's definitely a 'later versions' thing. I don't know when it started, but definitely not the NES.

Mustached Demon posted:

I did a challenge run of dq3 not long ago with the FF fiesta crew a while ago. Had thief, martial artist, and merchant as my party. Took some grinding at certain places but went pretty well. Don't even need casters.

How did you heal? Lots of items, I presume. That's a beefy party, but all the random battles will wear you down.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hero can heal.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah hero healed all the way basically. Thief and MA are way fast so they did a good job with random encounters. Helps I was on the mobile version. A lot of it was old school dq gameplay: press onward as far as you can, fall back, repeat.

Did have to grind hard to get full heal on the hero before what's his face. Then had omniheal and the stone for the final dungeon.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rascyc posted:

I'm replaying DQ11 and wanted to take a peek at 2D mode while half way through the game and boy was that a mistake. All my zoom points reset and it seems all the treasure chests reset too? I fled back to 3D mode but was lazy about the saves so the reset persisted. I hope I didn't do any other weird things doing this!

I did notice many quests reset but thankfully the log is easy to identify where they are to restart them. I don't think there's a nose for treasure related achievement so I'll just try to not pay attention to that.

Think it's my fault ultimately for being lazy with saves and it prob should've been obvious now that I realize how substantially different the 2D mode is. Just hope I didn't mess up any achievements?

What I do is start in 3D, and switch to 2D everytime I finish a chapter.
2D is brutal on hard, but the levels from 3D even it out and also get you to no exp from weak dudes max.
But I'm the dude that put 250 hours into the original version doing every possible thing there is barring not knowing all the accolades to grind them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I tried playing the switch version of dq3 which I think is basically just the mobile version, but I didn't really understand it. The party recruiting system. So I'm waiting on the pixel remaster where I assume maybe it will be explained a little more.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having only played the OG before the 2D to 3D feature of S is a neat idea but pretty wasted, I tried it once, but otherwise it's Tickington only. I don't like cheesing items and don't want to replay the same thing, and I also don't feel that the 2D graphics fit well on a TV anyways, at least not a 65" one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I tried playing the switch version of dq3 which I think is basically just the mobile version, but I didn't really understand it. The party recruiting system. So I'm waiting on the pixel remaster where I assume maybe it will be explained a little more.

You go to the tavern and design generic units, then through a separate option in the same menu add them to your party. You choose the class for each of them, and the seeds you give them fine-tune their stats in a way that's not meant to be micromanaged.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I feel like they didn't really explain that or what any of the classes do.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not that complicated a game. Mages cast spells. Priests heal and support. Warriors and Martial Artists mash the attack button; one of them has high defense and one has high speed. Thieves and Merchants also mash the attack button. Jesters do wacky uncontrollable antics.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's a nes game you're supposed to read the manual

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wow, that art sucks way way less than the DQ4 Americanized artwork. And it’s actually kinda faithful to the original, except for the lack of bunnygirls.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

Wow, that art sucks way way less than the DQ4 Americanized artwork. And it’s actually kinda faithful to the original, except for the lack of bunnygirls.

NES artwork went hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The seething hatred for Goof-Off is by far the best part of that.

"Why are you even alive? What kind of worthless pile of flesh are you? Just... just go loving die. GOD."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah hero healed all the way basically. Thief and MA are way fast so they did a good job with random encounters. Helps I was on the mobile version. A lot of it was old school dq gameplay: press onward as far as you can, fall back, repeat.

Did have to grind hard to get full heal on the hero before what's his face. Then had omniheal and the stone for the final dungeon.

You're braver than I am. Never played the game without either a sage and/or a pilgrim. I wish that some version of the game allowed the player to start with a sage somehow... on a second playthrough, perhaps.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

i imagine it's in the game manual

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
DW3 came with a giant poster showing the bestiary, all item location and equip chart, and a list of spells and learn levels. There's a nice clear image of the armory side of things here: https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw3nes/posters.php

And a beat up front side with the enemy list and spell list here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/l8fiiv/i_told_someone_id_post_a_picture_of_the_dragon/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The, uh, digital eShop version does not come with any of that of course

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah everything that came with the old DW3 was basically a strategy guide. Heck they even spill the beans about the parry trick and recommend it in the manual.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Rascyc posted:

Yeah everything that came with the old DW3 was basically a strategy guide. Heck they even spill the beans about the parry trick and recommend it in the manual.

I think that that was North America only, but I do remember it. Saw it in a second-hand shop a few years ago... box, book and all, for a ludicrous sum of money.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hyper Inferno posted:

DW3 came with a giant poster showing the bestiary, all item location and equip chart, and a list of spells and learn levels. There's a nice clear image of the armory side of things here: https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw3nes/posters.php

And a beat up front side with the enemy list and spell list here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/l8fiiv/i_told_someone_id_post_a_picture_of_the_dragon/

DW3 in North America came with a full game walkthrough, including what was sold in which towns and their costs, that even told you about stuff like the parry-fight bug and maybe the spot east of Kanave where you could fight higher level enemies due to having overlap with the spawn area across the river, like how the peninsula of power works in FF1, and might've hinted about another spot elsewhere (ghost ship?) with a similar out-of-zone spawn spot.

I think one of the few secrets it didn't tell you was the Goof-off -> Sage class change but either it or some other guide had a "well there's surely a reason you want to level one of these" hint about it without saying it outright. I know I was surprised as hell when I decided to make a goof-off to turn into a fighter to have high luck + agility only to see Sage pop up when I had already used the book on someone else.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

lets hang out posted:

it's a nes game you're supposed to read the manual

This looks like Katsuya Terada artwork. He did a lot of the "Americanized" DQ artwork back in those days.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

DW3 in North America came with a full game walkthrough, including what was sold in which towns and their costs, that even told you about stuff like the parry-fight bug and maybe the spot east of Kanave where you could fight higher level enemies due to having overlap with the spawn area across the river, like how the peninsula of power works in FF1, and might've hinted about another spot elsewhere (ghost ship?) with a similar out-of-zone spawn spot.

I think one of the few secrets it didn't tell you was the Goof-off -> Sage class change but either it or some other guide had a "well there's surely a reason you want to level one of these" hint about it without saying it outright. I know I was surprised as hell when I decided to make a goof-off to turn into a fighter to have high luck + agility only to see Sage pop up when I had already used the book on someone else.

I have that manual and it was one of the things that taught me how to read as a kid lol. Years later, I pulled it out of storage for the GBC version too. I don't know where my posters are though, they're probably also similarly in tatters.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure what the argument for DQ3 NES would be over the others. Maybe the fact you can skip the first Kandar fight entirely while I think it might be required in the SFC (and maybe GBC) version or possibly the poison moth powder trick for metal slime farming? There's just so much more in the SFC version though and it sucks that the mobile version removed stuff like TnT.

The inclusion of Boomerangs and Whips gently caress with the intended difficulty curve quite a bit, is the big reason I've gotten from the NES purists that I know.
Also SFC/Mobile/Switch super buffed Baramos for some reason into one of the worst difficulty spikes in the modern versions of the series. GBC tempered the balance in that fight but then Mobile threw that out.

All the more reason to want that HD version I guess.

E:

Rascyc posted:

Yeah it's like this because 2D mode is functionally a different game from 3D mode (in that its a port of the 3DS version rather than the PS4 version that 3D mode is). Works nice a cheap NG+ though.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm replaying 3's Switch version with a bit of a gimmick run with three gadabouts, in the grind at AllTrades til 20 phase. Ugh.