Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

smoobles posted:

I was trying to generate Heathcliff comics and Bing gave me this instead.

LOL. At least it's literary.

axolotl farmer posted:

Bing's unsafe warnings are all over the place.

Not ok: "Working in the Kremlin with a two-headed dog"

Ok: "A two-headed dog, working with Roky Erikson"

Ok: "The Kremlin. Watercolor by Chagall"

No interesting images were produced :mad:

How much you want to bet it's using an LLM (probably ChatGPT) to detect unsafe content. I would expect that would be unreliable at best, just like that.

Tarkus posted:

Does anyone else feel almost dirty generating these images? I'm not even talking about art theft because I'm not sure that it really is theft. I almost feel like as though I am in art school in, say 1850, and I come to class one day with a digital camera and a printer. I find the images it generates are usually visually appealing but I feel nothing for them. Weird.

Welcome to the AI revolution.

FINALLY

In the Battle of AI art, ChatGPT with Dall-e 3 is the WINNER :toot: :siren: :toot:

No other service has been able to give me this. I am completely satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Doctor Zero posted:

LOL. At least it's literary.

How much you want to bet it's using an LLM (probably ChatGPT) to detect unsafe content. I would expect that would be unreliable at best, just like that.

Welcome to the AI revolution.

FINALLY

In the Battle of AI art, ChatGPT with Dall-e 3 is the WINNER :toot: :siren: :toot:

No other service has been able to give me this. I am completely satisfied.

Why does he have 2 sets of fingers holding the mug? handle and bottom So close, but no, not perfect.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

smoobles posted:

I was trying to generate Heathcliff comics and Bing gave me this instead.

I decided to ask GPT what is funny about these two panels. Here is what it said:

quote:

Alright, let's break this down. The two panels depict two contrasting scenes. On the left, we have what looks like a well-dressed individual, possibly from an earlier time period, looking calm and composed with a tea setting. The setting feels calm, perhaps a little posh, with even a cat lounging about.

On the right, in stark contrast, we see a fierce lion surrounded by intense flames. It's almost as if the scene has transitioned from calm and serene to suddenly wild and chaotic.

Without any context, a possible interpretation could be a play on the saying "out of the frying pan and into the fire," which means going from a bad situation to an even worse one. The left panel could represent the "frying pan" (a controlled, mild heat) while the right represents the "fire" (an intense, uncontrollable heat). The joke might lie in the unexpected, drastic shift between these two scenarios.

But jokes and art can be subjective. It could also be a commentary on duality, expectations vs. reality, or any number of other themes. The humor might come from the absurdity and stark difference between the two images. The truth is, without more context, it's a bit of a shot in the dark. But that's my take on it.

I was expecting it to hallucinate an answer but it did its best and found no satisfying answer. Just thought that was interesting. I suspect that the image generation GPT, when making comic panels, doesn't try to make a story or anything despite it being expected in a comic.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tarkus posted:

I decided to ask GPT what is funny about these two panels. Here is what it said:

I was expecting it to hallucinate an answer but it did its best and found no satisfying answer. Just thought that was interesting. I suspect that the image generation GPT, when making comic panels, doesn't try to make a story or anything despite it being expected in a comic.

I expect "comics are supposed to convey a single story, in chronological order, with one event per panel" requires at least one level of abstraction and reasoning above where these systems are currently operating.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

I expect "comics are supposed to convey a single story, in chronological order, with one event per panel" requires at least one level of abstraction and reasoning above where these systems are currently operating.

GPT can actually do 4 panel comics! It does 1 image per panel and keeps a story that way. Dalle itself kind of makes an attempt, it gets weird when it includes 4 panel comic in the prompt and you get 4 4 panel comics.

e:

that was great can we do another one?
Topic of this comic Adventure Mouse explores a cave looking for treasure

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 12, 2023

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tarkus posted:

Does anyone else feel almost dirty generating these images? I'm not even talking about art theft because I'm not sure that it really is theft. I almost feel like as though I am in art school in, say 1850, and I come to class one day with a digital camera and a printer. I find the images it generates are usually visually appealing but I feel nothing for them. Weird.

:words:

When the OSHA thread just ripped rear end on a picture I suggested, it made me mad because every industry rips off copyright ESPECIALLY the construction industry. Those people are willing and do buy knockoff and counterfeit parts and tools. They reason to themselves that theyll rather buy a cheap knockoff to do one job rather than entertaining the idea of actually buying a real product.

They are the reason John Deere is putting DRM on poo poo. They are the reason both online and brick retailers are filthy with counterfeits. They are the reason that sites like Alibaba exist.

If you feel guilty, then don't worry because that is humanity's nature to steal and rip off.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

It depends. Even for someone as pro-AI as myself there are lots of times I feel the output is garbage; but that is because it is. Wether it be due to imperfect models or bad prompting or just the very nature of the throw-paint-at-the-wall-and-hope-it-comes-out-right process, I find myself getting more and more annoyed when the AI gets it almost, but not quiet right.

But that's the same way I feel about the photography I do. 90% of the images I take are garbage, because my hands were shaking or the apperature was 0.1 off, or I forgot to set the focus - but when I do everything correctly I get pieces I can (and have) hang/hung in galleries.

With AI, if you get something 90% of the way to perfect, a quick five minutes to an hour in photoshop or what-have-you can make all the difference. For example;

"A rakshasha tiger-man monk meditating by hovering over an open flame inside a richly decorated palace chamber as the rightful king is tied up in chains" - Bing/dalle-3

Is this a cool picture? Yeah. It's better than anything I could have drawn on my own, without a serious time commitment. It's almost, but not quiet what I wanted. But it's close enough that I can fix it with a minimal amount of effort.

Now it works, and the apathy (for this image specifically) is gone. And yeah, that might be because I'm more invested in it now, but at the same time, just as with photography, every part of the process is entertaining to me, There is a joy in exploration, of finding new ways to generate images, to vary them, to compose etc.

So that's one part of the dirtiness equation, finding your own fun, figuring out how to use this tool as part of your own creative process. The other part is either impostor syndrome (almost every artist thinks they are the worst artist ever) which can certainly diminish your enjoyment of the finished product regardless of its objective quality, or perhaps - as those art schoolers in the late 19th century found out - that with new methods to paint, new ways to paint must be invented to 'stand out' - since everyone and their dog could take a photograph and print it out to arbitrary size and have it perfectly resemble reality, they started going abstract. Perhaps we need to do the same, either playing to the ai's strength and going all out on dreams and impossibilities, or attempt to refine unto perfection something as simple and complex as a Normal Human Hand.

tl/dr just make something fun and dumb and it'll feel better

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm remembering this quote from Rob Sheridan (NIN art designer and creator of the Dancing Baby meme) about when he talked to the Midjourney guys about creating horror images.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Also this is a good article. tl;dr: "So it’s not creativity, it’s not art, but it’s something else. A discovery perhaps. I discovered a corner of latent space where this image came into being. I like it, and that’s all that matters in the end, your mileage may vary."

https://www.technollama.co.uk/asking-whether-ai-outputs-are-art-is-asking-the-wrong-question

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I enjoy exploring latent spaces and sharing what comes out. I don't care what we call it, right now all we got is art.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Bing seems to be better today, I'd really love to know what the images that are getting filtered look like because these are some of the ones I generated:

:nws:

edit. Sorry!

brocked fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 12, 2023

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

The National Gallery of Art posted:

The Nineteenth Century: The Invention of Photography

In 1839 a new means of visual representation was announced to a startled world: photography. Although the medium was immediately and enthusiastically embraced by the public at large, photographers themselves spent the ensuing decades experimenting with techniques and debating the nature of this new invention. The works in this section suggest the range of questions addressed by these earliest practitioners. Was photography best understood as an art or a science? What subjects should photographs depict, what purpose should they serve, and what should they look like? Should photographers work within the aesthetics established in other arts, such as painting, or explore characteristics that seemed unique to the medium? This first generation of photographers became part scientists as they mastered a baffling array of new processes and learned how to handle their equipment and material. Yet they also grappled with aesthetic issues, such as how to convey the tone, texture, and detail of multicolored reality in a monochrome medium. They often explored the same subjects that had fascinated artists for centuries — portraits, landscapes, genre scenes, and still lifes — but they also discovered and exploited the distinctive ways in which the camera frames and presents the world.
Every new thing is controversial.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1712323482166722680?t=YTRQgfjM9eH9fBOZ61iv_A&s=19

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

brocked posted:

Bing seems to be better today, I'd really love to know what the images that are getting filtered look like because these are some of the ones I generated:

you're right, I retried some things that failed repeatedly yesterday and they actually worked today first try

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QKyB_0P0E

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

gently caress yeah it is so nice that Comfy UI will pull up whatever nodes/prompts/models you used on old pics even if it was Automatic1111 images. Thought I lost some prompts forever by accidently deleting them from the log file, but you drag an image into Comfy UI and everything populates.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TIP posted:

you're right, I retried some things that failed repeatedly yesterday and they actually worked today first try

I'm finding the opposite - I'm getting quite pissed off at pasting in a previously used prompt and then having to play "guess which one word Bing has now decided is unsafe" multiple times before it will produce anything but the egg dog. :argh:

Did make some decent xenomorphs in weird alien environments, but even then it would sometimes object to another run with the exact same prompt!

Edit: it must have been trained on Rob Liefeld pictures, because it's doing everything possible to avoid drawing feet. Full length, full figure, long shot, whole body in frame, standing on a rug - nope, you'll get people framed from the knees up and like it!

Edit edit: tried to put a xeno on the surface of Venus, then on "the second planet of the solar system" - got the 'content warning, you could be suspended' alert both times. :rolleyes:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 13, 2023

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

yeah it may have just been luck, got a lot of lame prompt rejections later

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
found a weird cookbook from the 1950s and scanned the pages

I present, Gregory Stipson’s Cookery Book For The Well To Do House-Woman

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Woke Goku rules but he needs a partner...
Woke Vegeta

And a foil:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Xenos in strange alien (ahem) environments.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I got some fun Spidermen before he got banned.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You can probably sidestep into it, the image detection AI doesn't seem trained in it. I was attempting to get a specific person's avatar from a discord webslinging and hanging access points, but it forgot to describe their name in this image so it gave spiderman

Illustration: Dynamic action scene on a skyscraper. %user% with web designs on his outfit swings using web-like ropes, installing wireless access points on different levels. Birds and helicopters capture the height.

GPT came up with this work around itself and I didn't even want real spiderman! Enjoy. I think this is the keypart "with web designs on his outfit swings using web-like ropes"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Silver-fox Spider-man

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It won't let me make an image of anyone "punching a cop." What a bunch of fash bullshit.

e: At least it's easy enough to get around.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 13, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
All variations on a theme.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

e: to cut the sleaze just a little...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2023

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Today I have been generating cathedrals with Bing and trying to push the impossible aesthetics. Various prompts, not all the descriptors made sense, "rose-vaulted, hyper-metallic, prismatic lighting, fractally catholic" you get the idea. I don't feel like I created these but discovering them is a lot of fun.

There's a lot of messiness to these I'd clear up if I had them in a thing I could do additional passes on them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What the gently caress!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you are commonly copying some things, the word "discord" is now blocked on dalle. This one took a bit to figure out (so that's GPT4 and Bing interfaces, neither know it's being blocked on the Dalle side, GPT was clueless and when I told it try not using Discord it told me that word should be safe but it would try anyway without it, it worked)

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

pixaal posted:

If you are commonly copying some things, the word "discord" is now blocked on dalle. This one took a bit to figure out (so that's GPT4 and Bing interfaces, neither know it's being blocked on the Dalle side, GPT was clueless and when I told it try not using Discord it told me that word should be safe but it would try anyway without it, it worked)

Can you get around this by asking for the Goddess Eris and the Golden Apple?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

KwegiboHB posted:

Can you get around this by asking for the Goddess Eris and the Golden Apple?

Probably, but if you want a Discord interface it's not happening.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

It really doesn't like it when you feed it specific names. Been trying to get a crowd of Abe Vigodas but to no avail.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's Friday the 13th in October, y'all. Time to post spooky images:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

dingo and baby eat at a table together

Have a Borkus

It does not know how to shape shift him into a bus, which is sad because old Bing could. I guess this is GPT+Dalle3, but old Bing felt a lot like something better than Dalle 2, and I'm pretty sure it was just a half trained Dalle 3, or dead end branch attempt at 3.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2023

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

If you're looking to dive into the weird and wonderful world of AI art generation using Stable Diffusion on your local PC and have a video card with at least 8GB VRAM, this weekend might be the best time to start with the newly released higher-res SDXL dataset. Here's a bunch of tips to help you on your way to setting up a basic workflow in the very flexible node-based browser-based editor ComfyUI:

Download and install Stability Matrix AI suite manager that will be used for downloading custom SD models and further customizations, as well as updating ComfyUI - https://github.com/LykosAI/StabilityMatrix/releases

Use the Packages tab to download the latest ComfyUI. Once finished it will be integrated into the Stability Matrix suite to allow using the Model Browser tab to download the trained datasets directly from https://civitai.com

Now onto the actual ComfyUI editor where the AI art generation will take place. First get the ComfyUI-Manager plugin:
https://github.com/ltdrdata/ComfyUI-Manager/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

Extract, and copy the ComfyUI-Manager-main folder into your "\StabilityMatrix\Data\Packages\ComfyUI\custom_nodes" directory. Relaunch ComfyUI and it'll download the dependencies and the Manager new button will show up in your editor.

Within the Manager click Install Custom Nodes and use the search field to install the following plugins for painless use of this noodle-based editor: (also make sure to relaunch the app so it gets the dependencies)
ComfyUI Impact Pack
Efficienty Nodes for ComfyUI
ComfyUI-Bmad-DitryUndoRedo

From the Model Browser tab of Stability Matrix I recommend you download the following startup components:
SD XL (get both the VAE Fix and the refiner VAE Fix)
SDXL VAE
Detail Tweaker XL
realESRGAN_x4+HAT (then copy realesrganX4HAT_v10.ckpt from your \StabilityMatrix\Data\Models\StableDiffusion\ directory into the \StabilityMatrix\Data\Models\ESRGAN directory)

Once those are downloaded you should be good to go as far as having all the raw image data to manipulate and the tools to do it with offline. Now here's some basic components of the actual ComfyUI workflow that you can build upon:

The compact "all-in-one" loader is used for loading the base model, the refiner, specifying the size of the generation as well as connecting to the Low-Rank Adaptation of Large Language Model (LoRA) stack which are like contextual modifiers or "smart filters" for the generated image:

The sampler is the engine of AI generation that performs functions on the dataset to come up with a coherent image. You can play with these settings to generate wildly different images from the same promt:

FaceDetailer is an automatic inpainting module that can fix messed up faces/eyes/hands but also slightly alters the entire image quality since it does contextual blending. Hopefully a smarter one comes out soon that only blends the image around the area of the mask:

Upscaler increases the size of the image heuristically and is pretty fast, more upscalers can be downloaded from https://huggingface.co

Lastly, you can import and export workflows in ComfyUI as .json files - here's the one in the example, enjoy your journey! https://pastebin.com/raw/EHvnh8y7

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 13, 2023

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Bing doesn't like images of baphomet for some reason but this guy was no problemo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

I don't know if anyone pointed it out but that Woku on the bottom left is throwing the ok VERY OBVIOUS WHITE POWER hand sign so not exactly full woke.

Entirely from a 4chan prank too. What happened to 4chan making people drill holes into their iPhones to get access to the secret 3.5mm audio jack?

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 13, 2023