Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I like the bleed shield build for my ogryn but im thinking i dont use it right because goddamn my toughness disappears fast.

Maybe its also im level 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's definitely builds that only really work at max level or near max level. There's also something that doesn't get talked about much: at higher difficulty the density is a lot higher. A lot of approaches just aren't needed or impactful at low level, and I'd personally argue that shield Ogryn is one of those.

Try different weapons and different approaches as you level.

Oh, and dodge. Make dodge part of your melee dance.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Does anyone have a guide to Zealot that's working well so far? I'll take thunder hammer or eviscerator, i just wanna make a big smash

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Loner is a fine talent but it's a terrible aura. At best it's a clutch ability for flanking or being last man standing but it's really no different than getting a tiny amount of toughness. Tho I am curious if it counts as being in your allies' 'coherency' for purposes of getting their auras.

Like it mitigates a small downside of being alone, it doesn't really make running off alone a good idea. And it's competing with basically the opposite benefit for your team so it's always a net negative. Literally the only reason to take it is to save a talent point or two. He'll a toughness damage reduction when not in coherency would be bad but better than this.

My preference would be a full heal when you're last man standing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Internet Explorer posted:

There's definitely builds that only really work at max level or near max level. There's also something that doesn't get talked about much: at higher difficulty the density is a lot higher. A lot of approaches just aren't needed or impactful at low level, and I'd personally argue that shield Ogryn is one of those.

Try different weapons and different approaches as you level.

Oh, and dodge. Make dodge part of your melee dance.

As a primary ogryn player, I'd agree with that assessment. Shield doesn't really come into its own until like 4* high intensity and 5*. That's the point where the gunner density gets deep enough that having bullet block works really well, on top of the thick density horde control.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Tho I am curious if it counts as being in your allies' 'coherency' for purposes of getting their auras.

Nope! The only benefit is the toughness regen.

If its effect was “you get coherency with your entire team regardless of distance (so you always get their auras and they always get regen from you)” it would probably still be bad, but at least it would be something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
wouldnt mind getting loner reworked because it quite literally teaches you bad habits as a player tbh

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

I like the bleed shield build for my ogryn but im thinking i dont use it right because goddamn my toughness disappears fast.

Maybe its also im level 12

Pretty much the level 12 part, Ogyn has small +25 toughness nodes right at the top that most builds should path to take along with toughness reduction nodes, I can easily hit 180-240 toughness on some Ogyn builds which is ridiculously tanky.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

toasterwarrior posted:

wouldnt mind getting loner reworked because it quite literally teaches you bad habits as a player tbh

I bet even just changing the name could help. "Loner" sounds like a class role. "Out of formation," "separated from the flock," or something that doesn't sound stupid like those, would convey that it's more of a clutching ability if you get split up. They'd still have to make it a little better though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I also think its partly me relying on the dome shield so much when i play psyker so when im ogryn and cant just suddenly pop a dome like "neener neener you cant hit me" to all gunners i just get lit the gently caress up.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

toasterwarrior posted:

I would change it to something along the lines of "Auras linger for X seconds after leaving coherency for you and your team." Bam, an ability that gives something useful for backfield Zealots and their teammates.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Malice to Heresy is a similar but slightly lesser jump than Uprising to Malice, right? Winning Malice consistently now - or at least when I stuff it I know why - so figure it's time to move up next time I play

I'm really bad about integrating pushes but my dodge game's getting better I think (uh oh, here comes HUBRIS lol)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also I know I'm not on the real tough missions yet but the ogryn MkIV cleaver feels seriously busted. L L L, then looping H to L and back feels leaps and bounds ahead of everything else at crowd murder

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also also stubbers rule and all but why can't ogryn use boltgun :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

easily claims the quad

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Kourk IV Cleaver is pretty legit now, you aren't crazy.

Generally speaking I'd say Malice > Heresy is the hardest jump in the game, Heresy > Damnation is the easiest. On Heresy things meleeing go from being a battle of attrition to "oh god two dudes hit me when I only had half toughness where'd all my health go???" or a pair of bruisers simultaneously hitting you and downing you in one.

Also Gunners and shooters are now more than just a tickle, a single shooter can burn your toughness if you're not paying attention.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My rough off-the-cuff bullshit guide to "when you can go up a difficulty level":
  • 1 to 2: Do you have a decent grasp of the controls? Can you kill a rager 1 on 1?
  • 2 to 3: Can you handle a smallish horde or a couple of specials/elites alone and not get creamed?
  • 3 to 4: If a teammate goes down in a bad position surrounded by poxwalkers and maulers and such, can you stabilize the situation (by charging in and getting them up, providing enough cover to let someone else do it, pushing on without them, etc.)?
  • 4 to 5: Same as above, but there's two snipers, a bomber, and a dog trying to stop you.

This is of course a combination of skill and gear; it's much easier to save the day if you can take down a crusher on demand.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Just had a few games where I got one shot as a zealot on 4 since I only have 2 wounds.

What curio stats are recommended? Currently I'm just +health% and +toughness%

I cannot abandon my knife, it's too fun being able to run Mach 2 and having a 15ft dodge.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Playing pubber 4-5 jump is way easier than 3-4 bc of the playerbase: 4 is ONLY played by tier 4-confident players, whereas 5 is played by 5, 5-auric, and 5-maelstrom players. Barring real bad lick you get coupled with 3 5-tier players on 5, whereas on 4 you get parked with 3 unsure-If-5-capable players.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

The Demilich posted:

Just had a few games where I got one shot as a zealot on 4 since I only have 2 wounds.

What curio stats are recommended? Currently I'm just +health% and +toughness%

I cannot abandon my knife, it's too fun being able to run Mach 2 and having a 15ft dodge.

Absolutely grab yourself a +wound curio; you can try to roll some health and toughness stats on it to give yourself a little added juice. Corruption resistance is no slouch either, as poxbursters and dogs can easily turn chunks of your health purple within a few seconds.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Playing a veteran with 3 wounds. 2 grimoires were picked up and I got one shot from near full toughness to outright dead by a sniper.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Playing a veteran with 3 wounds. 2 grimoires were picked up and I got one shot from near full toughness to outright dead by a sniper.

finally, a lore accurate guardsman

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Grims are a trap in most pug groups. People will pick them up without thinking of the implications, e.g. that the run is now on a clear timer and you can no longer afford to carelessly backtrack or linger. They’re not worth the effort unless you’re breezing through the content or you’re in a premade.

The new Zealot aura can mitigate this.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Had this happen to me once and I lost it laughing. I didn't even hear the sniper, I was just instantly ragdolled

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Magitek posted:

Grims are a trap in most pug groups. People will pick them up without thinking of the implications, e.g. that the run is now on a clear timer and you can no longer afford to carelessly backtrack or linger. They’re not worth the effort unless you’re breezing through the content or you’re in a premade.

Obviously if you're with three other people who can sleepwalk through the map, sure, X+1 > X, but coming from VT2 it does seem like the benefit is very much not worth the drawback. Like I'm not going to scream at pubbies when they pick one up, especially because sometimes they're just right there in the open as opposed to being behind a jumping puzzle or something, but once I saw the reward I never touched one again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm just really, really glad that I don't have to memorize all the grim and tome locations, do ridiculous jumping puzzles, etc. Something I hate so much in Vermintide, a game I otherwise absolutely love.

I feel like for a while there when Darktide first released everyone was always taking forever looking for grims and scriptures. Now I never really notice people wasting time looking. Either they know where to look or people just stopped caring. Either way is fine by me.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm just really, really glad that I don't have to memorize all the grim and tome locations, do ridiculous jumping puzzles, etc. Something I hate so much in Vermintide, a game I otherwise absolutely love.

I feel like for a while there when Darktide first released everyone was always taking forever looking for grims and scriptures. Now I never really notice people wasting time looking. Either they know where to look or people just stopped caring. Either way is fine by me.

Melk's board was much more annoying and there was a limited number of rerolls you could perform, such that scriptures were one of the most reliable missions to complete each week. Now, anyone who knows what's up will simply never have books as an objective.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also they just loving LOVED to spawn in inaccessible locations

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Someone who knows how to slowmo please humiliate this poor trapper further

https://i.imgur.com/DEAX0He.mp4

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Brunt just gave me this. Is this good?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It'll pass for a first eviscerator, but you want 80% in everything but mobility usually.

It will get the job done with a good blessing or perk roll.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It'll pass for a first eviscerator, but you want 80% in everything but mobility usually.

It will get the job done with a good blessing or perk roll.

How does one make this sort of thing happen?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

KPC_Mammon posted:

How does one make this sort of thing happen?

You get a lot of them and upgrade a lot of them, or you get lucky.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Senethro posted:

You get a lot of them and upgrade a lot of them, or you get lucky.

So throwing a ton of credits away at Brunt's?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I will say that Grimoires have one unique use and that is to let you give someone a wound back. If you pick up a grim and then immediately break it, it immediately heals a chunk of corruption that gives a net positive of healing if you had a decent amount of corruption before. It also is the only way to jump the wound breaks if someone has been downed. Niche, but useful at least.

KPC_Mammon posted:

So throwing a ton of credits away at Brunt's?

yup!

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 13, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just don't get discouraged when something isn't perfect, aim for 80% but don't be discouraged you have some 68% stats that probably won't matter much in most cases unless you are trying to min/max 1 shot thresholds.
And yes the shop watching aspect of improving your gear in this game is lame and bad and hopefully changed by this time next year, feels bad to check Melk and it's just a bunch of infantry autoguns and axes with tier 2-3 blessings.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
dont stress about perfect gear, good stuff is good but fundamentals come first. learn your melee rhythms, learn how to clutch a shitstorm situation, learn a proper build, etc, these are more important than meeting damage thresholds

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is some advice for new players, once you've felt you got a hang on the game and can avoid taking excessive damage or getting hit by every disabler that you walk across, jump that difficulty up! you can use low intensity as training wheels for the next higher difficulty because low intensity damnation is a lot calmer than mid-high intensity heresy.

Past your first 30 character feel free to start jumping into low/mid intensity heresy/damnation as soon as level 10-15, there is a chance you'll get some ragers because seeing a small number next to your name will remind them of their own small insecurities but oh well.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 13, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

toasterwarrior posted:

dont stress about perfect gear, good stuff is good but fundamentals come first. learn your melee rhythms, learn how to clutch a shitstorm situation, learn a proper build, etc, these are more important than meeting damage thresholds

While I generally agree with this advice, I'll disagree about the damage thresholds. It's important to figure out what damage thresholds matter to a weapon, as it can have a major effect on combat rhythm and what targets you prioritize with a particular weapon.

The Psykanium is right there, and a good weapon that only needs one blessing changed means you have a perk to play around with and can test different +dmg perks out before taking a weapon into the field!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
If you bring up the Inspect tab for a weapon and then mouseover the stat on the bottom left, it'll tell you the range that stat can roll in. Remember that currently the max roll is 80% so you can only get 80% of the way up the roll range. But also some weapons have tiny damage ranges on top of a solid base, so being a perfect 80 is actually not very important.

But there is also the opposite case where some weapons have all of Damage/First Target/Penetration/Finesse and a single bad roll junks the weapon. You just have to see for yourself.