Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aphrodite posted:

Concealing them doesn't help being crushed, might as well let those puppies breathe.

But he didn't die from the crushing, he died from a blaster burning them to a crisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Time makes fools of us all.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tunicate posted:

should have gone in on the darth jar jar for the last movie, if nothing matters anyway at least go out with something memorable

Grendels Dad posted:

Sheev is memorable! Somehow, Sheev has returned!!
I've been saying for years that Palpatine should have been a hologram sent out by an old, bitter, regretful Jar Jar, and learning this shows Ben the error of his ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

"Well...I COULD cover all my organs in metal, maybe even implement some of that Droid-Deka shield technology...that seems drat near impervious, and as a General, surely I'd qualify for that upgrade to my cyborg body.

OR...leave my organs totally exposed cause it looks kinda cool."

A problem with the shielded battle droids is you have to wonder why they didn't put shields on all of them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shields are expensive

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

maybealabia posted:

Actually the prequels are thought of pretty positively nowadays overall

The clone wars series did a lot to rehabilitate them plus it's just generational.

I just watched the prequel trilogy this week and there's no way this is true. They are insanely, objectively awful. This is just zoomers trolling millenials/genXers. It has to be. I refuse to believe anything else.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I just watched the prequel trilogy this week and there's no way this is true. They are insanely, objectively awful. This is just zoomers trolling millenials/genXers. It has to be. I refuse to believe anything else.

People like what they saw as kids

Also lots of people are pretty uncritical generally. Did you hear that failed steak salesman Donald Trump got elected to some important job that one time?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

No. No! That's not true! It's impossible!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Actually I guess the Tartakovsky one was in continuity at the time. It's not now though.

Yeah this was the clone wars I was talking about, and it's not the first time the super generic title caused confusion

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Thank you Genndy

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Goddamnit you rekindled my desire for a Republic Commando 2

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
They should have given invisibility mods to all the clone troopers imo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The prequels do have a handful of cool visuals and sequences buried in a whole load of forgettable-to-terrible stuff, so it's not surprising that people might remember those fondly while disregarding the rest. The Darth Maul fight still absolutely owns to this day.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Len posted:

I know it's from a prequel but im pretty sure episode 3 referenced the clone wars cartoons that were on a channel my backwoods small Ohio town didn't get

The biggest reference is the ending of the cartoon leading straight into the opening battle scene in Revenge of the Sith... but if that's a problem, then so is the beginning of A New Hope, which features a cyborg with respiratory issues attacking a ship and we only have the opening crawl of the movie to tell us why.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I bet this would look really good as an avatar.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrBouvenstein posted:

"Well...I COULD cover all my organs in metal, maybe even implement some of that Droid-Deka shield technology...that seems drat near impervious, and as a General, surely I'd qualify for that upgrade to my cyborg body.

OR...leave my gutsack totally exposed cause it looks kinda cool."

FTFY

Gutsack is the official term.

https://twitter.com/kershed/status/1454877811408265216

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tunicate posted:

Shields are expensive

Pretty much everything about the droid armies is made with expense, resources and capitalism in mind. Droidekas are explicitly the special forces killteams designed to fight hard targets, complex and expensive, while the roger-roger battle droids are as cheaply made as possible, mass-produced and expendable. The heavy droids are somewhere in between as basically the same as the beige droids but slapped in a bigger chassis with more armour and built in guns. And of course the series goes into all kinds of different hardware the diverse and high-tech Separatists field, including horrific slave-soldier bioweapon projects and rarely seen special ops droids that can actually use disguises and sometimes wear clone armour to infiltrate them.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about the droid armies is made with expense, resources and capitalism in mind. Droidekas are explicitly the special forces killteams designed to fight hard targets, complex and expensive, while the roger-roger battle droids are as cheaply made as possible, mass-produced and expendable. The heavy droids are somewhere in between as basically the same as the beige droids but slapped in a bigger chassis with more armour and built in guns. And of course the series goes into all kinds of different hardware the diverse and high-tech Separatists field, including horrific slave-soldier bioweapon projects and rarely seen special ops droids that can actually use disguises and sometimes wear clone armour to infiltrate them.

Wait, did I miss the part where Star Wars just casually introduces a T800?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Every design in Star Wars except the plot, characters, motivations, sequence of events…

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No one in that image can believe what the gently caress they are seeing and neither can I. And I've seen Leia kick a groping lizard man in the balls in these comics.

This (rationally?) makes me want to get back into these, it's like pro wrestling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sobatchja Morda posted:

They literally just put the clone helmets on over their heads, and sometimes are given away by reflexively going 'Roger, roger'.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

I'm the amount of thought and detail signified by the label "Misc."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They literally just put the clone helmets on over their heads, and sometimes are given away by reflexively going 'Roger, roger'.

That's perfect.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Every design in Star Wars except the plot, characters, motivations, sequence of events…

In the making-of videos you can see George Lucas come into a room with a lineup of designs the artists have come up with and pick out the ones he likes so they should be... Something that's in the movie. And that seemed to be about it for his input on the designs.

Maybe he should have taken the same approach with the writing. But what do I know, all the "just use any creative process that's different from what made the prequels" jokes ring hollow since the Disney movies.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Didn't Lucas's vision of the sequel trilogy, if he had control of it, involve entering like a microcosmic subatomic world where the force was controlled by tiny bugs or....

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ynohtna posted:

What do you mean you aren't sure whether Fraggles have a spleen? Tell me how their endocrine system works!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Didn't Lucas's vision of the sequel trilogy, if he had control of it, involve entering like a microcosmic subatomic world where the force was controlled by tiny bugs or....

That was just ripping off the sequel to Wrinkle in Time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ynohtna posted:

They weren't allowed to say "his balls".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

General Grievous has only one ball

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Am I misremembering, or was it EU consensus for a long time that TIE fighters were only meant to function in space? Obviously it was changed sometime before Rogue Squadron in 1988.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dr Christmas posted:

Am I misremembering, or was it EU consensus for a long time that TIE fighters were only meant to function in space? Obviously it was changed sometime before Rogue Squadron in 1988.
No, there were plenty of EU books where TIEs fought in atmosphere. However, the first EU novel is from 1991. You mean 1998 for Rogue Squadron, tho?

I don't remember if TIEs were stated to be space only in the early EU books - in the X-Wing books, however, definitely there were fights in atmosphere. It was said that TIEs are rear end at flying in air, though, and one fight is won by the main character doing such sharp turns that when the TIE tries to keep up, its wings simply snap off due to air resistance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heh, seems like a cute nod to how the Rebel ships are loosely based on real world aircraft at least in silhouette while TIEs are clearly more alien. Would make a lot of sense that TIEs are optimised for space operations with minimal concern for adaptability, given how narrowly focused and barebones every other aspect of their design is.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What if the life support systems of TIEs are actually fine and it's the rebels who suck for not giving their pilots proper space protection gear

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC the original rationalization for darth vader's and stormtrooper armors was that they were space suits for the boarding party in the first scenes of ANH, but since they were so obviously great designs (and probably to save costume budget), they immediately became the standard outfits.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

General Grievous has only one ball

Agreed, every time he's on screen, General Grievous seems to have a ball.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

IIRC the original rationalization for darth vader's and stormtrooper armors was that they were space suits for the boarding party in the first scenes of ANH, but since they were so obviously great designs (and probably to save costume budget), they immediately became the standard outfits.

Was that the same time that lightsabers were just going to be the standard close-combat weapon before makinf it a Jedi-only thing (that's what the little pod on the back of the Storm Trooper armor was for, apparently) or did that decision come later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I love the original Halloween movie and watch it every year but, man, the female leads except for Jamie Lee Curtis deliver some terrible loving acting. Usually, that'll take me right out of a film but it's a testament to John Carpenter's skill as a director here that the movie overcomes it.