Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The little change they made by making the camera and video options a little toggle rather than an option on the sliding bar. loving killer change, hope it gets ported to regular camera app. Also the quality of the shots the 8 Pro has is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Blurb3947 posted:

loving killer change, hope it gets ported to regular camera app.

it is on the regular camera app? my pixel 7 on android 14 has this change.

i'm actually bummed they moved the preview of the most recently taken photo. my poor muscle memory.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Oh I didn't even notice it after the update went through. Sweet!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'm actually bummed they moved the preview of the most recently taken photo. my poor muscle memory.

This is still throwing me off

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I hope the pixel 8 stops that poo poo about editing your face immediately after taking a selfie, distorting your loving skull and washing out your face digitally because it's incredibly irritating

all the research I hear is about it trying to compensate for the inherent fisheye in cellphone cameras, and it seems to do it less if your face is dead center in the screen but that doesn't make for a very good selfie

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So far the 8 Pro is exactly what I wanted, a little bit better and faster version of my 6. New device setup still sucks, amazing we can't get this figured out. Gotta use special processes for messengers, gotta login to everything again, gotta skip tutorials, etc.

I might be getting old, I don't understand what to do with this watch. It's like a lovely phone on my wrist. I ditched the Fitbit a while back, and I think I'm over the logged life stuff. This might find a new home on Swappa, but I'll give it a decent try over the weekend to see if it grows on me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

FunOne posted:

I don't understand what to do with this watch.

it tells you what time it is without you needing to take your phone out your pocket

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ShoogaSlim posted:

it tells you what time it is without you needing to take your phone out your pocket

and also what email/text you got. It does other things, but those two things are like 90% of what I use it for. Free is a good price for that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol they scooped my phone into the wrong FedEx truck and now it's arriving tomorrow, welp guess I'll just read about folks' first impressions for now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Rap Game Goku posted:

and also what email/text you got. It does other things, but those two things are like 90% of what I use it for. Free is a good price for that.

i hate notifications and do as much as i can to make sure my electronics "bother" me as little as possible, so these are disabled on my watch. i have the luxury/disposition to not check either of those things when they come in. ymmv if you're a busy executive or socialite or family person who needs/wants those things at a moments notice.

i use mine primarily to check the time, track steps, and my sleep. it is 100% an unnecessary luxury device but i dig it and the cool watch faces.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm going to give this a decent try but so far I just don't get it.

Any reason to not use "full resolution"? The little explainer says "battery life" but that's literally every feature. Seems silly to run my display at a reduced resolution.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

FunOne posted:

Yeah, I'm going to give this a decent try but so far I just don't get it.

Any reason to not use "full resolution"? The little explainer says "battery life" but that's literally every feature. Seems silly to run my display at a reduced resolution.

I changed it. Battery feels about the same as my 6 Pro, marginally better maybe. I know the adaptive battery is still doing its thing, so I expect it will get better.

I like a lot of the little changes (no curved screen!). I think part of the lukewarmness I feel is that this is my 6 pro with some subtle changes. My last 3 pixels were all different, so upgrading felt more substantial.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently you need to be in cell service to activate Google Fi. RIP me and my WiFi calling until I can get into town.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NGL Android 14 has been my favorite major upgrade in a few years.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kirios posted:

NGL Android 14 has been my favorite major upgrade in a few years.

How so?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
This thermometer feature is silly but I love it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As a person who does quite a bit of baking and grilling/smoking, I was actually pretty excited about the thermometer feature since I never bothered to purchase myself an IR thermometer

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tremors posted:

This thermometer feature is silly but I love it.
how do i find it

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

butt dickus posted:

how do i find it

For some dumb reason it doesn't come preinstalled.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.pixel.health

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
thanks. lol that they kept the "health" name in it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

"This app is not available for any of your devices" :argh:

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Seems like they're prolly waiting for FDA approval for body temp scanning before rolling it out more widely.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

"This app is not available for any of your devices" :argh:

It was already installed on my Pixel 8 Pro.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I never got over how they forced the lockscreen clock into a two-lined square shape. It's still hard for me to read months later. I'm finally at peace.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I never got over how they forced the lockscreen clock into a two-lined square shape. It's still hard for me to read months later. I'm finally at peace.

It's really weird that you have to turn on that option to get the snazzy "information around the screen" look on the lockscreen. The clock itself isn't actually double-lined...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

hooah posted:

It's really weird that you have to turn on that option to get the snazzy "information around the screen" look on the lockscreen. The clock itself isn't actually double-lined...

It took me a while to even find this option. I like it, but I wish all the information were oriented the same way. Why is the temperature sideways?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It took me a while to even find this option. I like it, but I wish all the information were oriented the same way. Why is the temperature sideways?

I dunno. The date and weather icon are too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Because that's the style of the lock screen?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A crowd of doubters came in search of the wise man, and when they found him they asked, "master, why is the lock screen this way?" The wise man nodded his head sagely and responded, "because it is not another way." The crowd was pretty annoyed with that answer because it didn't really mean anything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I mean, the answer is literally "They designed this particular lock screen this way".

If you want deeper meaning, then you need to talk to the actual designers on the 'why's of the decisions to put things where they are on that screen.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
where is this view in the settings? I'm not seeing it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

hark posted:

where is this view in the settings? I'm not seeing it

Wallpaper & Style

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
If it was in the middle it would block your dog's face or whatever. I figure it's for people who would like the lock screen background to be less interrupted.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
for like one hot minute there was a the ability to add widgets to the lock screen. This app called "Dashclock" came out and it was the greatest thing ever and then Google deprecated the API that it used and the app stopped working

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

effika posted:

If it was in the middle it would block your dog's face or whatever. I figure it's for people who would like the lock screen background to be less interrupted.

Eh, I just want something different for AoD. Variety is the spice of life.

I don't really give a poo poo about the lock screen background because it's not really something I ever see. Pick up phone, unlock phone, home screen.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

for like one hot minute there was a the ability to add widgets to the lock screen. This app called "Dashclock" came out and it was the greatest thing ever and then Google deprecated the API that it used and the app stopped working

:rip: Dashclock. The envy of all my iPhone friends while you lived.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

already had to wipe the watch once because it fails updating, real cool. why is this update taking a billion years?

copied over the phone apps but zero of the app settings meaning you have to login again, i guess it makes it easier but not really, especially for authenticators, we'll see how well that goes shortly

Says waiting for watch to charge, how much charge does it actually need?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 13, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

THF13 posted:

Motorola MA1 for about a year and a half and it has been solid.
AA starts up quickly and it reconnects quickly if it disconnects. Happens time to time without it being a big deal.

Quirks: Rarely it will disconnect frequently during a trip, manually swiping background apps seems to help so I'm not sure this is an issue with the adapter.
Twice in the year and a half I've had it it just refused to connect, with no combination of power cycling my phone, the device, my car, or reconnecting and repairing would make it connect. Solution was both times to clear the Android Auto app data on my phone and then repair it. Nothing changing on my end triggered that weird failure, one of the times it happened was when I stopped for gas.
MA1 doesn't have a method to update firmware as far as I know, so it may be simpler but maybe runs the risk of becoming obsolete in the future.

Huge quality of life improvement over wired android auto, strongly recommend.

I've been using AAWireless for a bunch of years now, ordered it from indiegogo campaign. Was quite poo poo at the beginning, but with software updates it's been rock solid now for more than 2 years. Except one spot in my city. Whenever I go over a particular bridge then under it to merge on a (big) highway, AA just disconnects. Reconnects 2 minutes later. It happened too many times around that spot to be a coincidence. No idea what could cause it, but that location on earth just simply hates AAWireless. Or AA. Or me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

I'm sure this is a 14 thing and not an 8 pro thing, but how do I see my notifications on the lock screen? All I get are the little icons with no information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

already had to wipe the watch once because it fails updating, real cool. why is this update taking a billion years?

copied over the phone apps but zero of the app settings meaning you have to login again, i guess it makes it easier but not really, especially for authenticators, we'll see how well that goes shortly

Says waiting for watch to charge, how much charge does it actually need?

Me too, might have been my fault as I need to do a thing and separated the phone from the watch for a time. Also I found that the watch didn't update for some stuff if I didn't have it charging. weird.

It seems to be working fine now, with the exception that I don't have any contacts in the contacts app. Online there are folks with this problem, but there seem to be lots of things to check, and haven't gotten through the whole list. Anyone else have this issue?