Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Well, she works in airport security, but she does something that lets her work from home since she was doing that in the "Tradies" episode.

Edit: the two year old has been wanting to watch "Dance Mode" a lot the past few days. I'm wondering if she's going to figure out she can try to put us in dance mode.

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Bandit's biggest crime is setting unreasonable expectations for dads. He set the bar too high.

I'm tired of playing crazy pillow.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Random question:

Do y'all invite day care teachers and/or babysitters to your kids birthday parties?

There's like 2 former day care teachers that we keep seeing show up at other kids' birthday parties. We use both of them as baby sitters, both before and after they left our current day care, as do the other parents of this cohort. The kids love them and the parents love them.

Thing is, I have no idea if they're invited as a guest and show up for fun, or if they're "on the clock" and being paid to be there. I'm assuming the former, though I don't know for sure. In one sense it seems like a great opportunity for them to continue networking with that group of parents to keep the babysitting gigs flowing, but in another sense it seems... a bit demanding of the parents, since the kids see them as caretakers and will treat them as such on what should be a day off (assuming they're not getting paid, that is).

We don't have big parties every year like some other parents seem to, but I just thought it was a fascinating phenomenon and was interested to see if this is common or just something this cohort does.

edit:

An interesting thought is we did a big party for our oldest a year ago and I can't remember if the teacher showed up or not? They would have been welcome to for sure, and they had the info since they distributed the invites in day care. But we didn't expect them to show up, and we also didn't reach out to the above mentioned former teachers to explicitly invite them.

edit again: also just remembered that the above mentioned teachers/babysitters occasionally show up at playdates as well that are organized by other parents. Still not sure if they're being paid or not!

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 12, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
They get invited as guests and most of them go because they want to.

It's an emotional job. You fall in love with those kids then have them taken away from you at the end of the year. Many teachers are very happy to be able to see their babies again.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

morothar posted:

Same. There’s a “Stumpfest” episode where Bandit lets the kids apply makeup to himself and his mates have to get their finger and toenails painted, and then they just keep the makeup/paint on and continue working in the yard.

Must’ve broken some brains.

I didn't see that one, that's fine.

There was a lot of jump on Dad, take Dad's stuff, keep interrupting Dad, Dad forgets things whenever they go some place, and when those episodes would come around, my kids would really mimic that and my day would get shittier because they'd be copying the "bad" behavior of the show. It didn't feel great.

poo poo, the Peppa Pig where Grandpa doesn't give a poo poo about the Dad's chair spot and takes his tea to make a garden was rude enough my 5yo said that Grandpa wasn't being nice to Dad. I really don't want to reinforce the don't be nice to Dad content. :(

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Renegret posted:

It's an emotional job. You fall in love with those kids then have them taken away from you at the end of the year. Many teachers are very happy to be able to see their babies again.

Yeah I suppose.

I mean yeah of course it is, and I know they get super invested in the kids. I can't imagine they would stick with the job if they didn't.

But it's such a demanding job with such poo poo pay that I would feel bad infringing on their free time like that. I'd hate for them to feel pressured to show up for fear of losing out on side gigs or something.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I legit think it's because teachers are just wired differently.

Like, I sure as hell wouldn't do that, but I also wouldn't be a teacher to begin with.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah I suppose.

I mean yeah of course it is, and I know they get super invested in the kids. I can't imagine they would stick with the job if they didn't.

But it's such a demanding job with such poo poo pay that I would feel bad infringing on their free time like that. I'd hate for them to feel pressured to show up for fear of losing out on side gigs or something.

This can all be solved by talking to them about it for less than 5 minutes. Just tell them they're welcome to come if they want but not to feel obligated and it's completely understandable if they have something else to do.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

oh believe me if they didn't want to be there they wouldn't be

learning to set clear boundaries is something you learn to do quickly with tiny little boundary violation machines children

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alarbus posted:

I didn't see that one, that's fine.

There was a lot of jump on Dad, take Dad's stuff, keep interrupting Dad, Dad forgets things whenever they go some place, and when those episodes would come around, my kids would really mimic that and my day would get shittier because they'd be copying the "bad" behavior of the show. It didn't feel great.

poo poo, the Peppa Pig where Grandpa doesn't give a poo poo about the Dad's chair spot and takes his tea to make a garden was rude enough my 5yo said that Grandpa wasn't being nice to Dad. I really don't want to reinforce the don't be nice to Dad content. :(

Tbh we recently started watching Peppa Pig and the family are actually pretty mean to the parents, especially with making fun of Dad Pig's size. It also teaches some weird lessons. The Pig family spends a *lot* of money on a lot of things

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tbh we recently started watching Peppa Pig and the family are actually pretty mean to the parents, especially with making fun of Dad Pig's size. It also teaches some weird lessons. The Pig family spends a *lot* of money on a lot of things

I never saw an entire episode yet and the whole franchise is banned in our house after that soccer book.

You know, the one where the kids engage their grandpa in being soccer referee?
IIRC, for some reason he gets them to play boys vs girls. And then it turns out the girls are bad at soccer. But grandpa keeps making judgement calls in the girls’ favor, and in the end they win the match.
(This is how my wife recounted the story to me after she returned it to the library.)

So, the moral it seems to teach children is that girls are bad at sports, but adults will cheat and pretend like girls are actually good at sports.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My kids Peppa Pig takeaway was mainly "if you want to jump in muddy puddles, you must wear your boots" which is a big win imo.

We've since moved on to Spider Man and Friends.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My only beef with Bluey is that it fairly frequently is primarily a parenting show, so some of the episodes are just kind of a bunch of silly things happening while the parenting lesson is demonstrated in a way that goes right over the head of any kids watching.

Burger Shop for example is solidly about how parents need to be willing to halt fun playtime when it is time to do something else, but to a kid they just see fun hijinks in the tub. And what kid is going to pick up on what's really going on in Space?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

My only beef with Bluey is that it fairly frequently is primarily a parenting show, so some of the episodes are just kind of a bunch of silly things happening while the parenting lesson is demonstrated in a way that goes right over the head of any kids watching.

Burger Shop for example is solidly about how parents need to be willing to halt fun playtime when it is time to do something else, but to a kid they just see fun hijinks in the tub. And what kid is going to pick up on what's really going on in Space?

I guess I'd be more on that side if kids didn't like it so much. Yeah the parenting stuff is heavy handed but as you said, kids just ignore all that. They look at In Space and go "cool, Bingo is going around the solar system in dreamland while sleepwalking and kicking her dad in the balls, funny".

There's two thick layers there but I don't think that one is to the detriment of the other.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

External Organs posted:

The 1980's classic with Firestar and Iceman?!?!?! I know you're talking about Disney Jr's Spidey.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Good-Natured Filth posted:

The 1980's classic with Firestar and Iceman?!?!?! I know you're talking about Disney Jr's Spidey.

God, I wish

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Spidey is basically all we talk about now.

“What did you do at school today?”
“I was being Rhino!!!” Runs around and knocks a bunch of stuff over.
“Can we get Black Cat, and Doc Doc (sic), and Electro, and Sandman, and Green Goblin and fight the bad guys?”

I was confused when he called the spider robot Tracy and then my wife said “yeah it’s name really is Tracy in the show”.

Getting him some Spider-Man merch/costumes for Halloween and his birthday.

I remember being obsessed with Batman when I was his age (and I had Spiderman too) so it’s funny that he is doing the same thing. I drew so much Batman that my pre school teachers were convinced I would be an artist.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Bluey is annoying to me because I agree, it’s mostly a parenting show, but in the end the kids always do the right thing. It…doesn’t work that way in real life. Sometimes my kid is just a little jerk.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

remigious posted:

Bluey is annoying to me because I agree, it’s mostly a parenting show, but in the end the kids always do the right thing. It…doesn’t work that way in real life. Sometimes my kid is just a little jerk.

I mean, good? What kind of kids show would it be if the kids were assholes all episode and then roll credits?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, good? What kind of kids show would it be if the kids were assholes all episode and then roll credits?

I struggle a lot with feeling like a failure and that I’m doing a terrible job so it just makes me wonder what I’m doing wrong. At soccer last week my son knocked over a little boy and the little boy came to give my son a hug and my son screamed in his face. It was mortifying. I somehow need to work on teaching a nearly three year old empathy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CuddleCryptid posted:

Caillou?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Is that 80's series available anywhere?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

remigious posted:

I struggle a lot with feeling like a failure and that I’m doing a terrible job so it just makes me wonder what I’m doing wrong. At soccer last week my son knocked over a little boy and the little boy came to give my son a hug and my son screamed in his face. It was mortifying. I somehow need to work on teaching a nearly three year old empathy.

I get that, I'm in a bluey-themed dad group on Facebook (because what other dad groups are there other than media based ones) and it's a common refrain to hear dads feeling bad for not measuring up to the idealized version of family life that the show demonstrates. The dogs don't have money issues, or physical/mental disabilities, or even really doubt themselves in a large way. They can afford to send their kids to a fancy Montessori school that focuses on that kind of empathetic deescalation. It's a lot of plusses in their favor that don't really get looked at, on top of being a TV show.

This is a friendly discussion there is no need to use bad words

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

External Organs posted:

Our daughter loves that show. I think the latest trend for her this Halloween is to be Ghost Spider. But she did say a zombie and then zombie Spiderman.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My kids loved the "dad nose nothing" gag from bluey, and I hated it. Like, they wouldn't be okay with the dogs saying that about any other character, but for some reason it's okay to poo poo all over dad. But bandit is just playful about it...

Granted society still sees dads as embarrassing buffoons. I'm not crazy about embodying that, but sometimes it's just my role to play.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

calandryll posted:

Our daughter loves that show. I think the latest trend for her this Halloween is to be Ghost Spider. But she did say a zombie and then zombie Spiderman.

I think I'm gonna use it to try to get her into (me reading her) comics but I'm not sure what to start with. I thought about going over to BSS to find a thread or something but I've been lazy.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

External Organs posted:

I think I'm gonna use it to try to get her into (me reading her) comics but I'm not sure what to start with. I thought about going over to BSS to find a thread or something but I've been lazy.

There are some very early reader level comics made directly from the show, I’ve got a bunch the the kids and they love them.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

TV Zombie posted:

Is that 80's series available anywhere?

Disney+ has most of the Spider-Man stuff from over the years.

https://www.disneyplus.com/series/triumph-of-the-green-goblin/6GgiHdXuk1G3

quote:

In addition to the early readers (example) mentioned above, if you have a local comic book store, go to it. I've found that comic book people love to get kids into comics and will have plenty of recommendations. There aren't a lot of ongoing series intended for kids, but they do release graphic novels pretty regularly.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 12, 2023

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
6yo: How many days are left?
Me: Left in what?
6yo: In the world
Me: Uh, loads and loads, more than we need
6yo: Someone will be born on the last day
Me: :stare:

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Savings Clown posted:

:hai:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bluey and Peppa Pig are both sorta idealized hetero normative family situational shows. That's fine that's a... not insigificant cross section of society, and pretty much every article I've read on "why is $(kids show X) so popular?" the answer is "because it's a subject kids are pretty familiar with - families"

Most modern kids shows are pretty good about being inclusive, either the kid in the wheelchair, or the blind kid or whatever. Would be interesting to see them introduce some lgbtq stuff but that's probably too spicy for a show targeted at 18mo-5yo. We watched spookily on ...netflix? prime? which is a pretty transparent parable from ~2002 about a square pumpkin in a pumpkin patch full of round pumpkins and is squarely ostracized (:engleft: dad joke) for it, but saves the day when there's a big windstorm and he's the only one who doesn't roll away when it gets windy

Apparently netflix bought the rights to spookily and made.... a christmas themed sequel staring the same square pumpkin, 20 years later :shrug:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Hadlock posted:

Would be interesting to see them introduce some lgbtq stuff but that's probably too spicy for a show targeted at 18mo-5yo. We watched spookily on ...netflix? prime? which is a pretty transparent parable from ~2002 about a square pumpkin in a pumpkin patch full of round pumpkins and is squarely ostracized (:engleft: dad joke) for it, but saves the day when there's a big windstorm and he's the only one who doesn't roll away when it gets windy
Netflix also has Not Quite Narwhal about a unicorn who is raised by a family of narwhals before going on land for the first time and discovering other people who look like him.

Oh and also Pixar's Luca which is probably the most gay and/or trans you can make a kid's movie without just saying it outright.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
In Poland there's an excellent series of children's books called Basia, the usual "little girl faces the challenges of daily life as a kid" thing aimed at ages 3-6. But the one thing that makes it exceptional (besides the writing and humor) is that it treads the fine line between being realistic enough and too grown up.

There's a lot of fun stuff and humor going on, but the depiction of family life features the actual trials and tribulations of an imperfect-but-happy childhood. The parents are tired a lot, sometimes they're too busy with work, sometimes they have to explain they don't have enough money for nice things. Once in a while the mom snaps at the kids or the dad says something insensitive and they have to apologize, siblings argue, random events disrupt family outings, kids in preschool freely oscillate between being great friends and being dicks to each other, etc. All depicted in a way that's understandable and relatable to a preschooler, always ending well, and these negative things I mention here are mostly smaller details in overall positive and funny stories about mundane poo poo like going to the dentist or learning to ride a bike.

It's loving great, our daughter loves the series, and I wish it got translated into English so it could gain wider traction or at least be a bit influential. It's really reassuring as a parent, and when talking to the kid about life and feelings, it helps having a media example to point to where grownups being flawed and occasionally overwhelmed is normal. Really brings into sharp focus how much Anglosphere children's media shies away from realism and depicts family life as either idealized or farcical. Kids may not have much empathy but they aren't too dumb to grasp this stuff.

(Don't get me wrong, Bluey still owns, but my god how is Bandit never ever tired and grumpy)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Savings Clown posted:

I got something similar from my four yo.

"When is the last day?"
The last day before what.
"The last day of days."
Oh, in millions of years when the sun expands and heats up the earth.

I don't remember his reaction after that, this was a while ago, but he did not have quite the same profound observation as your own kid.

Also, we watched all of Spidey and then did actually watch some of that Spiderman and his amazing Friends from the 80s and...it's not great. It's a little hilarious as an adult, but if your kid will gloss over everything except the action, you're probably good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anyone else have a kid afraid of the light in the dark?

Baby Gout still sleeps in the crib next to us. When I turn off the light, if the light in the master bathroom is still on, he will keep looking at the light through the grate and get really freaked out. We were just in occupational therapy and they tested turning out the lights to see what he would do with a light toy, but when the light toy turned on he freaked out at that.

Also he used to get very scared if he was looking under the sofa and we turned on a flashlight to find the toy.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Hadlock posted:

Bluey and Peppa Pig are both sorta idealized hetero normative family situational shows. That's fine that's a... not insigificant cross section of society, and pretty much every article I've read on "why is $(kids show X) so popular?" the answer is "because it's a subject kids are pretty familiar with - families"

Most modern kids shows are pretty good about being inclusive, either the kid in the wheelchair, or the blind kid or whatever. Would be interesting to see them introduce some lgbtq stuff but that's probably too spicy for a show targeted at 18mo-5yo. We watched spookily on ...netflix? prime? which is a pretty transparent parable from ~2002 about a square pumpkin in a pumpkin patch full of round pumpkins and is squarely ostracized (:engleft: dad joke) for it, but saves the day when there's a big windstorm and he's the only one who doesn't roll away when it gets windy

Apparently netflix bought the rights to spookily and made.... a christmas themed sequel staring the same square pumpkin, 20 years later :shrug:

Firebuds is a fun little show with a catchy intro jingle and it is wildly inclusive. One Asian-American girl has two mothers of different races. I think the Filipino American boy has a Jewish mother, and the African American boy has a disabled younger sister. It does show cops as good guys like Paw Patrol but what can you do.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

GoutPatrol posted:

Anyone else have a kid afraid of the light in the dark?

Baby Gout still sleeps in the crib next to us. When I turn off the light, if the light in the master bathroom is still on, he will keep looking at the light through the grate and get really freaked out. We were just in occupational therapy and they tested turning out the lights to see what he would do with a light toy, but when the light toy turned on he freaked out at that.

Also he used to get very scared if he was looking under the sofa and we turned on a flashlight to find the toy.

How old? Our daughter needed complete darkness until about 3. If the lights outside her room were on and could be seen under the door she’d flip out and tell us to turn everything off before she felt comfortable falling back asleep. As soon as she out of a crib and into a proper bed, she needed nightlights.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Flying cross-country with a 2-year old in a few hours, pray for me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kid observations are the best. My daughter went up to a twisty playground ladder and said "this reminds me of the things inside your body that make your personality." I venture "DNA?" "Yeah!! DNA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret posted:

I was thinking about this recently, it's got to be tough on the nannies. There were a couple nannies with a baby at the library's baby story time. If you're taking care of the kid solo durning the daytime and taking them to the library or whatever other enrichment activities it's got to be super hard when they get old enough to "graduate" or if the family terminates your employment.

One of the nannies was talking to the other nanny about how she used to take her previous kid to the library playtimes/story times so I'm assuming some families probably stop the arrangement once the kid is older and in school or something.