Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It's weird how people feel compelled to do this

MrBeast / James Donaldson was a completely ordinary high school kid. Single mum who served in the military. So yes, he did live at home in those first few years, as he was a literal child. He took a look at the lay of the world, saw an opening that not many others did at that time, and figured out a way to break through, and put the hard work in to do it, entirely off his own bat. He didn't really have the talent, but he taught himself how to figure it out. As a teenager. He has lived happily ever since.

To try and bring it vaguely back to topic of the best parts of the Great Content Diaspora, gently caress it, PYF youtube creators:

(I've realised that this list is definitely skewed to what I share with the kids as opposed to watch myself, but it's all good stuff):

Primitive Technology
YBS Youngbloods
Sailing La Vagabonde (moreso the old monohull days, but credit to 'em)
VSauce
Veritaseum
Rick Glassman
Mark Rober
Channel 5
MapMen
And of course the Vlog Brothers. Not so much their channel, more what they've created overall.

LeoVader
Second Thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Civvie 11

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Good video recommendations but please use the correct thread at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885043 ! Youtube is not a Twitter commonwealth platform

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It's weird how people feel compelled to do this

MrBeast / James Donaldson was a completely ordinary high school kid. Single mum who served in the military. So yes, he did live at home in those first few years, as he was a literal child. He took a look at the lay of the world, saw an opening that not many others did at that time, and figured out a way to break through, and put the hard work in to do it, entirely off his own bat. He didn't really have the talent, but he taught himself how to figure it out. As a teenager. He has lived happily ever since.

To try and bring it vaguely back to topic of the best parts of the Great Content Diaspora, gently caress it, PYF youtube creators:

(I've realised that this list is definitely skewed to what I share with the kids as opposed to watch myself, but it's all good stuff):

Primitive Technology
YBS Youngbloods
Sailing La Vagabonde (moreso the old monohull days, but credit to 'em)
VSauce
Veritaseum
Rick Glassman
Mark Rober
Channel 5
MapMen
And of course the Vlog Brothers. Not so much their channel, more what they've created overall.

An inspirational tale of a man who, through his own blood and sweat, worked to make the world worse, and never gave up the vision of a society where it's cool to torture poor people if you are rich

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

arent almost all supa internet stars rich nepobaby failkids that use their familys money and a nice condo/apartment to brute force the first few years of posting hardwork and talent to achieve success?

Ehhhhhhh. There are failchildren, and lots of them all throughout Youtube, but that's just math. They don't have jobs and can afford to offload whatever they don't want to do onto high quality third parties for cash, but they still need to make videos someone wants to watch and you can't buy your way out of a problem you don't think you have. So over-represented, but not nearly dominant. It's almost certainly more common among theme park YouTubers because they need to buy the highest tier of Annual Pass to get access to the holidays and events early in their run, and that's $1,449.00 for a Florida Resident Discounted pass to Disney. Even at the most aggressive monetization rates you'd still need a quarter million ad exposures to hit that, which is dozens of videos for most people, so money would help. Even then, I only know of two out of probably 40. Most of the others are living in more or less abject poverty and working multiple jobs to fund their, uh, problem.

Twitch has a somewhat high concentration of failchildren, unsurprisingly. Their most recent monetization models are really unable to meaningfully support a person who streams less than 30 hours a week, with the obvious exception of the names you've heard, and unlocking higher monetization models requires offline work, like setting up a tip system, editing clips, and engaging with the community. Everyone I know who does it sustainably has reconstructed their life around it, and the ones I've known who do it unsustainably are either badly in need of psychological help or, yeah, burning generational wealth to do it, or both.

If you wanna find the failkids look to the distributors and the channels with no obvious creator lead. The Fine Brothers are a great example, you remember them from such hits as attempting to move against Ellen DeGeneres when she filmed kids reacting to things, trying to patent the concept of filming human reactions to media, attempting to "license" people to use the word "React" in video titles, being confused when people got mad about that, and posting video after video crying and apologizing after their brazen announcement of all of this got the attention of Reddit. They also successfully took down a number of reaction channels in the kerfluffle, mostly those owned by small, non-Western creators, and copyright struck several hundred videos in the, for lack of a better term, "genre" (the YouTube ghouls were completely onboard, as were a lot of other "creators" looking to do the same thing). Unfortunately the Fine Brothers are a great example because they milkshake ducked themselves to hell irredeemably and nobody will likely defend them at all. Several of the YouTube community's colossal sacred cattle, including some creators who are popular here, came out hard to defend them literally while they were in the process of rescinding their copyright filings so it wasn't just some people fulfilling contractually obligated mutual defense pacts, no, these folks just thought trademarking the word "React" was cool and good. I'm not naming them because we don't need to prolong this derail even further.

Anyway, this isn't the appropriate place for any of this. Have a tweet with some good news for once.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

An inspirational tale of a man who, through his own blood and sweat, worked to make the world worse, and never gave up the vision of a society where it's cool to torture poor people if you are rich

I’m not interested in debating the nature of the impact of his work on the world, I was just clarifying a mistaken assumption in the post I replied to.

But also you seem pretty determined to crucify this kid for the sins of a country with a well established entertainment industry that had already produced Fear Factor and Survivor or whatever

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
https://twitter.com/Sam_ONella/status/1712222991164014946

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I’m not interested in debating the nature of the impact of his work on the world, I was just clarifying a mistaken assumption in the post I replied to.

But also you seem pretty determined to crucify this kid for the sins of a country with a well established entertainment industry that had already produced Fear Factor and Survivor or whatever

Imagine being this guy

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Based on the X axis ordering that person has either never met a dog or never met a baby

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They knew what they did, putting the hoop up there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There must be a market for artisanally dunked pumpkin foods.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Imagine being this guy

Seems fine

https://twitter.com/camerobradford/status/1711569001619316842

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1711829898262638682

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1711144941143851113

https://twitter.com/tinysoulgame/status/1710398238686077143

https://twitter.com/xboxplaystatio/status/867972953865994241

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

genuine and sustained lol. what a wonderfully constructed tweet.

e -

Beeswax posted:

Seems fine

lol it's not great to be fair but thanks

Bucky Fullminster has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Oct 12, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/HI_Voices/status/1712194509872959910?s=20

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What the hell? Most wives like to be petted. Hell, they get mad if it doesn’t happen regularly enough

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

freeedr posted:

What the hell? Most wives like to be petted. Hell, they get mad if it doesn’t happen regularly enough

*I say as I barge into a random house, looking for "it"*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1712551110576341004

:goatsecx:

zoux has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Oct 12, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That was a good quip so I feel like George Brett won in the end.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Excuse me, how dare they forget Ronnie on season 3 of Jersey Shore?! :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm here for all the sorry rear end

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spider web saying SOME SORRY rear end

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm here for all the sorry rear end

Turn on your monitor.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I hope George Brett regularly sees a GI doc since he seems to have some recurring gut problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qv25_DFR2k

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The looping in this gif with the smoke in the background is extremely impressive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

The looping in this gif with the smoke in the background is extremely impressive.

He's looking at the sorry hemorrhoid rear end

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Samovar posted:

Who is this and what is it about, besides from SA being full of old fuddy-duddies?

Dara is an esports commentator who's like. 20 or 22 or something. They are doing online dating, it would appear.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

You'll probably like Tech Noir then

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

greazeball posted:

You'll probably like Tech Noir then

Aw heck yes. Thanks!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Read After Burning posted:

Excuse me, how dare they forget Ronnie on season 3 of Jersey Shore?! :colbert:

It said "notable".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JewishGooners/status/1712097749577945358

Uhhh these guys are just going to have to change their name. I don't know how long you've had it, but I'm sorry it has to change now.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I hope George Brett regularly sees a GI doc since he seems to have some recurring gut problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qv25_DFR2k

Jesus Christ that broke me. What is this from?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jesus Christ that broke me. What is this from?

the kids are calling it "baseball"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(if you don't know him, Devereaux is the writer of ACOUP.blog, which includes a nine-part series that breaks down how pop-culture Sparta is basical a myth and shows that real Sparta sucked.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I gather there is room to criticize Mr. ACOUP on his conclusions or their underlying strength, but the degree to which these chuckleheads are invested in the advertising for one particular group of broke-rear end slave-owning militaristic aristocr-- oh. ohhhh

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1712583398534095044

:lol: feel free to skip the video on this one if you don't want to hear a meatball talk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nessus posted:

I gather there is room to criticize Mr. ACOUP on his conclusions or their underlying strength, but the degree to which these chuckleheads are invested in the advertising for one particular group of broke-rear end slave-owning militaristic aristocr-- oh. ohhhh

well he measures Sparta against the criteria that Sparta fans use to assert how good it was, taking those criteria in good faith, and demonstrates that it fails catastrophically on every single criteria, which is his method whenever he does one of these articles. Like, Sparta even historically has a losing record in documented infantry battles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommonShore posted:

well he measures Sparta against the criteria that Sparta fans use to assert how good it was, taking those criteria in good faith, and demonstrates that it fails catastrophically on every single criteria, which is his method whenever he does one of these articles. Like, Sparta even historically has a losing record in documented infantry battles.
Yeah I just know he got some heat in the ancient history thread. The point is more "it is weird to be this emotionally invested in whether or not one particular city-state from 2,500 years ago was in fact cool and awesome, or were in fact overrated assholes." It is not even like a modern situation where one might be supporting or passionate about something from the 18th or 19th centuries that has an obvious link to the modern day. I do not believe Sparta has been a meaningful independent political actor since the Roman Empire straddled the Mediterranean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nessus posted:

Yeah I just know he got some heat in the ancient history thread. The point is more "it is weird to be this emotionally invested in whether or not one particular city-state from 2,500 years ago was in fact cool and awesome, or were in fact overrated assholes." It is not even like a modern situation where one might be supporting or passionate about something from the 18th or 19th centuries that has an obvious link to the modern day. I do not believe Sparta has been a meaningful independent political actor since the Roman Empire straddled the Mediterranean.

Sparta hasn't been, but dipshits going "Sparta was awesome and we should restructure our society to be more like them" are very much a contemporary issue.