Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not played it yet but exploration looks a lot better than P which was basically just a linear path that looped around to some shortcuts eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One thing I dont particularly like how these soulslikes like to copy FROM's animations almost 1:1. It's straight up plagiarism to me.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

I partake in Civilization every day, it's called having a job!!!

yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

Super Mario Bros Da Movie is getting a 4K remaster with an absolutely wild collector's edition

https://twitter.com/UmbrellaEnt/status/1712329094900400528?t=oYR4Q5XbhobzYJaNDDVQ7g&s=19
back when Amazon was firesaling mario bros dvds for a couple bucks a pop i bought a bunch to give out as gag gifts, I can't quite accept the cost of that to use as joke gifts but I will definitely get one for myself

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A week until Spider-man 2 and Mario Wonder :swoon:

Which reminds me I gotta do another playthrough of Miles Morales

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Vermain posted:

jesus, i haven't seen chief arino in a hot minute

i know the goon translation project's gone but i wonder if anyone else kept up with it. those translated eps were always a real treat

A variety of translators have worked on them and a great many episodes have been translated over the years since, new releases have continued to have been regularly posted in the GCCX thread (the OP is extremely outdated though).

The show itself is currently celebrating its 20 year anniversary and is on its 27th season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Oh gently caress yes I am there

Same. Wish the posters were poster sized instead of printer paper sized but this whole package seems cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vermain posted:

reviews are putting it at around the level of lies of P
That's good!

Vermain posted:

but with the caveat that it has relatively easy bosses comparatively
That's bad. (for me, specifically)

Sakurazuka posted:

Not played it yet but exploration looks a lot better than P which was basically just a linear path that looped around to some shortcuts eventually.
That's good!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Waffleman_ posted:

Super Mario Bros Da Movie is getting a 4K remaster with an absolutely wild collector's edition

https://twitter.com/UmbrellaEnt/status/1712329094900400528?t=oYR4Q5XbhobzYJaNDDVQ7g&s=19

the scenes in the dinosaur dimension or world or whatever it was called, had some absolutely bonkers set designs I'd love to see in 4K.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I loving love a good high-effort shitpost, this was the original from a few months back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrv_n7DNls&hd=1

he has released another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmV26O4Erdw&hd=1

:allears:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
From the Destructoid review in progress
https://www.destructoid.com/review-in-progress-lords-of-the-fallen/

Some [bosses] have been incredibly fun, with well-thought-out mechanics. Some of them felt a bit “Tank and Spank”, so to say, not requiring too much extra effort. And then others have been so incredibly frustrating. And don’t try and tell me to “Git Gud”, I swear that’s not the issue here. A few encounters just have over-the-top or even unfair mechanics.

I would love to see what the thread thinks because I have my doubts.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

What is an "unfair mechanic" in a Soulslike boss fight?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1712818311031828951?t=4WxHPvXh3iARa0JYYI2aQQ&s=19

Bobby will remain CEO of ActiBlizz at least through the end of the year

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think it's "at least" until then - he is leaving the company on Jan 1, and good riddance

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1712818483442987422

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WaltherFeng posted:

From the Destructoid review in progress
https://www.destructoid.com/review-in-progress-lords-of-the-fallen/

Some [bosses] have been incredibly fun, with well-thought-out mechanics. Some of them felt a bit “Tank and Spank”, so to say, not requiring too much extra effort. And then others have been so incredibly frustrating. And don’t try and tell me to “Git Gud”, I swear that’s not the issue here. A few encounters just have over-the-top or even unfair mechanics.

I would love to see what the thread thinks because I have my doubts.

I don't think I trust a review that uses the term 'tank and spank'.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Morpheus posted:

I don't think I trust a review that uses the term 'tank and spank'.

I don't really understand it in the context of a single player game. Does it not mean having a tank player keep the boss occupied while DPS doles out damage - with few other mechanics to worry about?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

stev posted:

I don't really understand it in the context of a single player game. Does it not mean having a tank player keep the boss occupied while DPS doles out damage - with few other mechanics to worry about?

I think in this case it means just taking hits while attacking constantly, without any need for strategy.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

stev posted:

In a single player game I would interpret it as just taking the hits with little regard for defense and bursting them down with damage before you die

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
^^see

You could use it to describe a fight you just have to accept you're getting hit in, but also that allows time to heal. No finesse, just face-tank and spend resources.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ErrEff posted:

When the floor suddenly opens beneath you in the Bed of Chaos fight, that's pretty unfair. And when a giant hand from offscreen unavoidably swats you into a death pit. And when fire pillars explode your feet while you're sliding down the ramp into the boss room, or while you're running through the tight corridor to the core of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

When the floor suddenly opens beneath you in the Bed of Chaos fight, that's pretty unfair. And when a giant hand from offscreen unavoidably swats you into a death pit. And when fire pillars explode your feet while you're sliding down the ramp into the boss room, or while you're running through the tight corridor to the core of it.

Yeah, pretty much anything where the only way to avoid it is to know in advance what's about to happen

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

enemy tracking to the point where it feels like a boss or enemy can just swivel in place to home in on you even after an attack windup is, imo, an unfair and badly designed mechanic that isn't as prominent in these games as it was before but is one thing I'd absolutely say is peak bullshit.

Elden Ring bosses also sometimes just flailing around for 6-hit combos and you just have to stand back and watch was also really annoying but it was manageable. No idea what LOTF's prime unfair mechanics are unless the review bothered to elaborate, guessing they didn't because that would require actual analysis and decent game writing, 2 things IGN has never possessed on their staff

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

ErrEff posted:

Anything that hits me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, something that happens a couple of times in Lies of P: a "two-phase" boss where the second moveset is so different from the first it may as well be an entirely different boss

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just got to the King of Puppets boss last night and feeling that one lol.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sega Dreamcast posted:

A week until Spider-man 2 and Mario Wonder :swoon:

Which reminds me I gotta do another playthrough of Miles Morales

“In Super Mario Bros Wonder, Mario navigates the world with all the exaggerated swagger of a black teen.”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

Also, something that happens a couple of times in Lies of P: a "two-phase" boss where the second moveset is so different from the first it may as well be an entirely different boss

yeah fromsoft does this sometimes and i don't love it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dabir posted:

Or when an enemy attack knocks you down which then instantly is followed up by 3-5 more attacks you can't avoid. gently caress you, shovel puppet from Lies of P.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A fromsoft tank'n'spank boss would be like the Four Kings in ds1. There might be others but none come to mind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That sort of things works way better in Bloodborne with the regain mechanic. Sometimes you can just take the hit and get all the health back by the time he's done recovering

ymgve posted:

Or when an enemy attack knocks you down which then instantly is followed up by 3-5 more attacks you can't avoid. gently caress you, shovel puppet from Lies of P.

There's a midgame upgrade that lets you dodge out of knockdown, but still, gently caress that guy

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 13, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

Boss "phases" should happen at different amounts of health IMO. When you kill the boss and it just comes back as another boss with full health it never feels great. The Guardian Ape doing it in Sekiro was memorable simply because of the fake-out aspect of it, but in general I hate it. Especially when it takes a million tries just to get the first boss down and you come to find out that you have to potentially do that like 15 more times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Invictus posted:

I loving love a good high-effort shitpost, this was the original from a few months back

lmao

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Tough...but fair. Godhand stays winning Fromfailures.

(Ok, Sekiro fits)

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Tank n spank sounds like a dumb way to say hit trading.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

we need a lords of the fallen thread because this game is properly legit

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Volte posted:

Boss "phases" should happen at different amounts of health IMO. When you kill the boss and it just comes back as another boss with full health it never feels great. The Guardian Ape doing it in Sekiro was memorable simply because of the fake-out aspect of it, but in general I hate it. Especially when it takes a million tries just to get the first boss down and you come to find out that you have to potentially do that like 15 more times.

Yeah this drives me insane and sekiro was what made me realize why I hate it. I didn’t enjoy a single boss fight after it because once I knew what the game might do, I never knew if I was actually getting close to winning a difficult fight or just to reaching the next surprise phase, and when I actually did win there was no moment of catharsis because I had no idea whether I was actually successful or whether the other shoe was about to drop. it amounts to a cheap gotcha that gets you once and then undermines the enjoyment of anything similar for the rest of the game, and it’s one reason the only lasting feeling I really have from sekiro is frustration and not satisfaction. I definitely remember the 75 straight minutes of frustrating attempts it took me to beat the last boss but don’t remember any enjoyment from succeeding, because when I finally got him, all I could think about was whether a fourth health bar was going to suddenly appear.

I appreciate games like stranger of paradise that just mark the phase transitions on one boss health bar so you know how much you need to improve to win, can get excited when you’re about to make it, and can enjoy that definite “gently caress yeah” moment when you know you’ve finally made it over the finish line.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is exactly one boss in Lies of P where the phases share a health bar Champion Victor and it was a nice change from the rest

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The worse part of sekiro for me (a game i love btw) is the rival fight at the top of the castle midway through the game, his final phase introduces the lightning mechanic, I think you might get a tutorial popup about it earlier in the stage but no chance to see it in action or practice it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

it's kinda funny how we're in a weird world where stitching together voice clips is now a distinct aesthetic choice instead of your only real option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah this drives me insane and sekiro was what made me realize why I hate it. I didn’t enjoy a single boss fight after it because once I knew what the game might do, I never knew if I was actually getting close to winning a difficult fight or just to reaching the next surprise phase, and when I actually did win there was no moment of catharsis because I had no idea whether I was actually successful or whether the other shoe was about to drop. it amounts to a cheap gotcha that gets you once and then undermines the enjoyment of anything similar for the rest of the game, and it’s one reason the only lasting feeling I really have from sekiro is frustration and not satisfaction. I definitely remember the 75 straight minutes of frustrating attempts it took me to beat the last boss but don’t remember any enjoyment from succeeding, because when I finally got him, all I could think about was whether a fourth health bar was going to suddenly appear.

I appreciate games like stranger of paradise that just mark the phase transitions on one boss health bar so you know how much you need to improve to win, can get excited when you’re about to make it, and can enjoy that definite “gently caress yeah” moment when you know you’ve finally made it over the finish line.

Sounds like your loss aversion setting is turned too high. Sekiro got me multiple "gently caress yeah" moments in the boss battles since each phase felt like beating its own boss.