Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

poemdexter posted:

Published by Devolver Digital so you know it's gonna be good.

it's the folks who made Pix The Cat, which completely owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

goblin week posted:

My Sony account will stop working properly when I move cross continent so I’m not super stoked about digital only

Why?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Your account is linked to your original region and you can’t change it. I had to make a new account when I moved back to the US from Manila because my PS3 was locked to the Philippines and wouldn’t accept US payment info no matter what I did.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Your account is linked to your original region and you can’t change it. I had to make a new account when I moved back to the US from Manila because my PS3 was locked to the Philippines and wouldn’t accept US payment info no matter what I did.

I kind of get that it’s a bit of a pain, but only the stores are region locked and you can have multiple logins. Once stuff is installed, any account on the system can play it, so you can have a store-only account from another region pretty easily.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

love this man lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fD3K_I3skQ

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’s a ballache but with the way it works on the console itself you make a new account in your new region for buying things and carry on playing them on your old account anyway, and your old account can still be used to download your old things.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Speaking of the digital vs physical debate this seems pretty ominous imho

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1712856447368012274?t=30Pt6XLNhUJMRLTbKMKLuQ&s=19

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
That sucks. I have a lot of really cool exclusive movie steelbooks from them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

I don't know if physical at least on like the Sony and Nintendo side is going to fully go away for a long while yet, although I could see it being de-prioritized and something that's only reserved for select titles. Probably a good chance that Call of Duty does away with it entirely, and possibly also franchises with a strong online-only element to them (e.g. a future Gran Turismo title, given GT Sport and GT7 are both largely useless if all you have is the disc and no internet). But I imagine Sony's "single player narrative" games like the Naughty Dog titles, Ratchet and Clank, Ghost of Tsushima etc. would continue to be available in a proper physical format that doesn't need online. It could also take a weird form like the Xbox One's original plan where they would still technically sell game discs but they were just to facilitate installation, and the game still behaved as a digital-only title that couldn't be traded in* (I know MS had some dubious plan for this in a very limited capacity but we never learned what it was).

Incidentally, the DoesItPlay account did an analysis based off I think 235 PS5 disc games, and found about 70% of them were fully playable from disc offline and were fine. A further 19% were technically playable but either missing something fundamental to the game but technically optional (e.g. an "on disc" DLC or game mode that's only available via a patch), or had a buggy launch version that was playable but bad enough to be distracting, but fixed in an update. The remaining 11% were games that were unplayable at all without at least updating, and I think mostly games where you needed persistent PSN connectivity for them to be playable (in some cases because they're explicitly online-only games). On PS4 the figures are slightly better, something like 80-85% of games fall into that first category in that instance.

super interesting, thanks for the post

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

That sucks. I have a lot of really cool exclusive movie steelbooks from them

Yeah those steelbooks will be moving to Amazon.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's the folks who made Pix The Cat, which completely owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3O28Rtj28E

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJXL22sRuG4

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of the digital vs physical debate this seems pretty ominous imho

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1712856447368012274?t=30Pt6XLNhUJMRLTbKMKLuQ&s=19
Yeah, it was also posted pages ago! Don't you re-read the entire thread from the first post on the first page every time before you post anything so you can avoid this BLUNDER? Jeez dude.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Honestly I won’t miss physical much when it’s gone because I already have Too Much Plastic Bullshit cluttering up my life

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Love my discs! Just picked up Lords of the Fallen from Wal-Mart. Into the drawer where I keep you hidden!!!!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, it was also posted pages ago! Don't you re-read the entire thread from the first post on the first page every time before you post anything so you can avoid this BLUNDER? Jeez dude.

I've been busy trying to finish this RE2make replay before Spider-Man comes out next week!

Leon B route is kicking me in the dick :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's honestly weirder to me that BB will stop selling movies and keep selling games than if it was the other way around. Like, yeah most people just stream everything now, but movies feel like they have even more physical collector appeal. At least with a disc movie you actually get content you'd miss with digital and I think 4K blu ray looks noticeably better than UHD streaming. Plus some of them have nice pack ins like Criterion etc. With games it's just like, you have the disc I guess.

Guess it all probably just boils down to sales numbers though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's one thing that pisses me off about physical movies going away - all the extras. Commentaries, deleted scenes, etc. Streaming barely does any of that poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only thing I’ve ever learned from dvd commmentary is Dick Jones’ secretary was Kurtwood Smith’s wife

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sure they will remain available to buy, but for the most part I can't imagine any effort will be put into the releases.

I miss buying a movie and getting a making of documentary, different cuts, commentary, interviews, maybe a little book...Also I love paper slip cases which are objectively superior to hideous steelbooks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Heavy Metal posted:

That's a fun thought for sure. For me, I feel that way about other mediums. Books, movies, TV, comics/manga, music, podcasts (I have over 1000 episodes on my phone at the moment and I don't auto download), etc. I've got an infinite amount of those. Games on the other hand, it feels like I was kind of on top of it since I was a kid, and I was mainly playing the notable games that are up my alley already. And for my personal taste/interests these days, games from say the 80s and 90s don't interest me as much now overall compared to say books, movies, and music from the 80s and 90s. So gaming is actually one medium where I could use new stuff.

Honestly, same. I could totally check out of most current media and stay way in the past. I often do. I’m always submerged in old movies, tv, music, books. But games? I want that new poo poo. It’s really fun and rewarding staying up to date with gaming. There are certainly issues with the current industry but when it’s good it’s [i]good/i].

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It's honestly weirder to me that BB will stop selling movies and keep selling games than if it was the other way around. Like, yeah most people just stream everything now, but movies feel like they have even more physical collector appeal. At least with a disc movie you actually get content you'd miss with digital and I think 4K blu ray looks noticeably better than UHD streaming. Plus some of them have nice pack ins like Criterion etc. With games it's just like, you have the disc I guess.

Guess it all probably just boils down to sales numbers though.

Yeah, and floor space/consumer unpredictability. Also, the boutique blu ray market has demonstrated stability within a direct to consumer paradigm. People who want Arrow, Indicator, Shout Factory, Kino, etc releases can reliably just go straight to the source, to the point where even spots with special distribution deals like Barnes & Noble might be rethinking how they do things with said media in the next few years.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

The only thing I’ve ever learned from dvd commmentary is Dick Jones’ secretary was Kurtwood Smith’s wife

I learned that Jonah Hill is so annoying he can cause Judd Apatow to leave a commentary recording in the middle of a film lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Movie extras didn’t really become a thing till DVDs right? Don’t remember them on VHS. Probably partly because at higher quality recording, VHS didn’t have the tape to spare.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

In the Goonies commentary, Sean Astin left in the middle of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

R. Kellys original trapped in the closet DVD was one of the best things I ever bought because of the commentary. There's parts later on where the cameraman is making it look like he is floating around the room and the whole time while fake cgi smoke comes out of his cigar. Experiencing the whole thing is this insane fever dream that makes me feel like I'm on drugs. It's one of the greatest thing I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFgcH47Zl4U

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Remember when Ben Affleck did a commentary for Armageddon where he was incredibly drunk and kept insulting the movie?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Remember when Ben Affleck did a commentary for Armageddon where he was incredibly drunk and kept insulting the movie?

"I asked Michael why it was easier to train drillers to be astronauts instead of astronauts to be drillers and he told me to shut the gently caress up."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Movie extras didn’t really become a thing till DVDs right? Don’t remember them on VHS. Probably partly because at higher quality recording, VHS didn’t have the tape to spare.

Laserdiscs would have them, that was how the Criterion Collection became known for being the film buff's release

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

"I asked Michael why it was easier to train drillers to be astronauts instead of astronauts to be drillers and he told me to shut the gently caress up."

lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember the Terminator 2 commentary being a lot of fun

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Laserdiscs would have them, that was how the Criterion Collection became known for being the film buff's release

I had no idea. I knew Criterion was old, but I never looked into their history.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dewgy posted:

I kind of get that it’s a bit of a pain, but only the stores are region locked and you can have multiple logins. Once stuff is installed, any account on the system can play it, so you can have a store-only account from another region pretty easily.

Tbh I’m mostly gonna miss my ps plus catalog lol

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Disney + seems to be the only streamer that has all the extra junk, like commentaries and deleted scenes, wish everyone had them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

goblin week posted:

Tbh I’m mostly gonna miss my ps plus catalog lol

Just buy plus cards for your original account’s region online and redeem the codes on the store

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Debating buying a Pulse 3D headset as an upgrade from my gold headset I got 9 years ago. Is it worth the upgrade or nah?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess I kinda miss the idea of ubiquitous commentaries but that gap has kinda been filled a bit by podcasts

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Volte posted:

I had to reload that because the very first turn in initiative order, before I could do anything, was the main dude just insta-killing Isobel from full health which is just absolute horseshit. I think they patched it later so that won't happen now.

Continuing BG3 Act 2 spoilers I just did this part last night and had to reload the fight 3 times because she kept getting ganged up on and killed before I could even get a full round of combat with my party, so, doesn't seem patched to me. It's very dumb that even if you have him surrounded and on death's door the second she goes down you get a cutscene of him just casually picking her up and walking past you to leave???

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Just buy plus cards for your original account’s region online and redeem the codes on the store

Yeah this, store cards work internationally, which is handy. I was even able to use the Japanese account I made for the Yakuza 7 demo to buy a few PS3 games recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Debating buying a Pulse 3D headset as an upgrade from my gold headset I got 9 years ago. Is it worth the upgrade or nah?

Splurge on the Inzones you won’t regret it